What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Developer Blog: Masterwork Professions

Comments

• Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited November 2015

... thats why Cryptic is doing this. I am not saying this is good for the players, I am just saying WHY did they gated masterwork resoures behind the Stronhold.

Yeah right, given their track-record, there is no way in h**l that is the real reason...

I'm thinking it's just a way to get a few more sales from the Zen store, from members of smaller guilds desperately trying to buy their way forward?

Seriously though, how many are really going to sacrifice a boon slot for the Explorers hall?

Nope, this was a miss, could have been a nice and much needed refresher in Professions, but nope...

Also, good luck with this when Underdark drops on Xb1, which I'm guessing is around the Holidays, it's going to be a loooong time before that feature gets any use there.
    Post edited by mightyeriksson on
  • Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    metalldjt said:

you are totally wrong, you CAN TOTALLY STOP BOTS in this game , i already posted million of times and people made threads over the things that are being botted, and we dont ask to permanetly ban accounts, we want to stop what is the ROOT of the problem, in future other things will end up being botted, but that doesnt mean with player feedback you can't stop the ROOT of the problem.

right now Skill nodes are being farmed in reclamation rock and cave of elements, it's been reported for almost 3 months, so tell me again , if removing r5 and peridots from the skill nodes wont solve the problem ?
    and you need recipes that you need to farm from the artisan in sh pvp, you cannot mass produce that so you wont be able to bot, and the gear doesnt have any value.

You can post what you want, the only way to stop bots is to remove AH and trading. Period. And even then they can sell accounts. The same day you remove peridots and rank 5s they will move to something else, like they did millions of times. Even companies like Blizzard couldnt remove bots from their games. Is Cryptic slow handling bots? Yes. Have they low resources / admins / etc. to combat bots? maybe. You can slow them or make them less profitable? Sure. You can totally stop bots? Dont be so naive.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    marsambassadormarsambassador Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    I saw this and rejoiced! Then I actually read it.

So in other words, if you're in a super rich guild then you're going to get far more richer being able to sell stuff that nobody else can make. To other rich guilds. And everybody else is screwed. Yet again.

Yeah...THAT'LL help balance PVP. And make us small guilds feel like we're actually able of becoming a larger guild...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    npstalon said:

Totally worthless addition to the VAST majority of your ever dwindling player base. Continuing to ignore your solo/small guild players will be this games downfall.

I would have to agree. The powerful guilds don't need a bone thrown to them to stick around. They already run the place. And comprise the smallest % of the player base. They're not going anywhere. The solo player and small guilds are the ones that are fleeing this game. Why isn't there a concerted effort to pander to us as a group? We are and will always be the largest group of players, after all...which means you have the most to gain from satisfying us and the most to lose by turning your backs on us with more exclusive gifts to the elite .0001%.
  • Options
    "New recipes will require special new masterwork tools"

Can I take a wild guess here? Will these new masterwork tools be available only for purchase through the Zen store?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    mynaam said:

As a side note i noticed level 0 black ice shaping does that mean black ice shaping is now worthless?

It means the tester character they used for the screenshot has never started the IWD campaign. How mindboggling.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options

"New recipes will require special new masterwork tools"

Can I take a wild guess here? Will these new masterwork tools be available only for purchase through the Zen store?

You should probably read all the dev posts.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    asterdahl..the team behind this new masterwork proffession has NEVER PLAYED THE GAME..period. There is no point discussing anything. If you dont have at least 5-10 active characters as advisors your are totally messing things up. Its true that the new team managed to make a lot of progress after the previous dev teams holocaust, but you still making the same mistake. You cannot feel the game if you dont actively play it. I understand that the reason behind these decisions is a monetary one, but you cannot justify all decisions just to reach your final goal.
  • Options
    moltenperezosomoltenperezoso Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    So it seems like all people do is complain on here. I'm a solo player, I'm a small guild..... Stop crying. Everyone started from the same point. Noone held a gun to your head and told you , you had to be a solo player, or you had to be in a small guild..... Stop hating on the guilds that put in a TON of time and resources to get where they are. Your choices put you were you are in game. If you want access to this content, then have your guild focus on putting time and effort into levelling SH, or go join a larger guild that actually cares, and puts in the time and effort. Complaining is just that. Complaining........ It isn't fixing your situation one iota. All of your issues are solvable. Yet you choose to complain in the forums....... Go out and get it done :)
  • Options
    bannynbannyn Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Sounds GREAT for those of us who love to craft! But oh wait!! It also screws us solo small/non guilds players totally!! I used to LOVE this game so much!! and while I still like it you people are HAMSTER me from playing solo casual when I can by making it so I can't play without dying every second because I'm 1 shotted by white mobs because I cant have super high gear! thanks perfect world crypted neverwinter!!
  • Options
    theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    It sounds like my Gemmed Exquisite Adamant Ring of Etc are about to become irrelevant, and if I want to engage in the new market, I need to leave my existing guild to find one with an Explorer's Hall.

Also sounds like you only need High-Quality results for the new stuff, so that means 100% bonus is sufficient?
    Post edited by theycallmetomu on
  • Options
    asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    eldeskal said:

In all seriousness, to get the explorer's guild, a guild of 150 people would have to sacrifice a shared resource (boon plot) they had all worked for months to obtain, to enable perhaps 5% of the guild to pursue their passion.]

You're right, and this is something that the team deliberated on extensively. With that said, based on all of your feedback we re-examined the issue and came to a compromise that will allow you to engage even if your guild has decided not to build an explorer's guild.

First, we will be moderately increasing the guild mark price of explorer's charts while making them available in the guild marketplace. Second, we will be enhancing the utility boon granted by the explorer's guild to increase the number of materials gathered per untapped resource.

In order to give our localization and quality assurance team proper time to translate and test these changes, they will unfortunately not make it into the launch build for Module 8, however, expect to see these changes soon after. We appreciate all of your continued feedback.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    What rank of marketplace?

Frankly, if it's not rank 2, members of small guilds are still effectively barred from seeing any benefit from this whatsoever. It's a struggle for a small guild to achieve the rank 2 market.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    marcoparad85marcoparad85 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 38 Arc User
    @asterdahl I was very pleased with the direction the "BOT Wars" were taking. This throws it all in the toilet.
    The first thing I thought when I read "BoE" was: "My god they are gonna have a field day with this!"
    But maybe I'm just crazy...

• Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

eldeskal said:

In all seriousness, to get the explorer's guild, a guild of 150 people would have to sacrifice a shared resource (boon plot) they had all worked for months to obtain, to enable perhaps 5% of the guild to pursue their passion.]

You're right, and this is something that the team deliberated on extensively. With that said, based on all of your feedback we re-examined the issue and came to a compromise that will allow you to engage even if your guild has decided not to build an explorer's guild.

First, we will be moderately increasing the guild mark price of explorer's charts while making them available in the guild marketplace. Second, we will be enhancing the utility boon granted by the explorer's guild to increase the number of materials gathered per untapped resource.

In order to give our localization and quality assurance team proper time to translate and test these changes, they will unfortunately not make it into the launch build for Module 8, however, expect to see these changes soon after. We appreciate all of your continued feedback.

This a good change. What level marketplace... I would suggest 4 or 5
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

eldeskal said:

Well to be frank, now this just made those that DID invest into the explorers guild get the raw end of the deal.... The explorers group stat boon is the only boon structure that really "encourages" team play. On top of that, the ability to farm more of a resource isnt really much benefit.

It seems this structure was already a pretty hard tradeoff but now doesnt even seem worth it. Maybe if you made the boon provide ALL stats but the stats scale based on the number of players in the group up to 3. It would be a much more desirable boon structure. Something like @ rank 10:

Offers 2,000 per 5 stats for 3 players who own the boon.
    1500 per 5 stat for 2 players and
    1000 per stat for just yourself.

Currently its 2400 of ONE stat and each person added to the party adds a new stat... It makes it worthless for a solo or duo or even THREE people from a party who slot this and you get 2 players from another guild who dont have it....

The appeal to this structure for us was the profitability of it and the boon structure was something we were looking at for 5 man partys only but the limitations and lack of benefit of this structure make me wonder why anyone would ever pick it now over a boon that offers 8000 armor pen or 8000 power.... Its too limiting in the stat bonuses AND you cant even make much income from it now.....
  • Options
    mightyerikssonmightyeriksson Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Are there any numbers or guesstimates as to how many guilds have a rank 12 guild-hall?
    This feels like it wasn't entirely thought through all the way...

We have numbers on exactly how many strongholds are at any given rank, as well as what structures guilds are building and what rank those structures are at. I mentioned it a little in a previous post, but adjustments were made to the ranks for masterwork recipes as well as stronghold artifact weapons based on these numbers.

"Go on, give us a number!" (bonus cookies if you recognize the quote)

Well of course you guys have the numbers, but I doubt you are sharing them?

I was mostly curious if there were anybody willing to throw a number out there...

It just feels as this would have been appreciated more (= more revenue from happy players) had it been implemented so that all/most players had a chance to do them.

Also, just ignoring Leadership for months after breaking it, is something I just can't understand.
    With some/most tasks being ridiculous without RAD, just take an hour or two and throw something worthwhile in there, it can't be that hard?

• Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

eldeskal said:

so... this is nice... but here's the question, does it still require a rank 12 guildhall.. and... what rank marketplace?

I know alot of people posted about the Explorer's guild, and I sympathize with them... but if a guild can't even have the hopes of the guildhall... all if for naught.
  • Options
    asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer

Frankly, if it's not rank 2, members of small guilds are still effectively barred from seeing any benefit from this whatsoever. It's a struggle for a small guild to achieve the rank 2 market.

There will be no change in the required rank, you'll need a rank 6 marketplace to purchase charts. There is no intent to change the rank at which masterwork professions or the associated unspoiled resource gathering becomes available at launch.

One problem we would like to alleviate is preventing crafters who are members of a guild with a sufficiently leveled stronghold from participating simply because their guild has decided the boons on the explorer's guild are underwhelming, which is a desirability issue we would like to improve, but we do not believe that forcing guilds to build this structure to access that content is the right direction.

We understand some of you are frustrated that a guild of a high rank is required in order to access this content, but keep in mind, new solo and small group friendly content is coming with Module 8, along with equipment that is very competitive with masterwork profession and dragonflight/lionsmane equipment.
    ayroux said:

Well to be frank, now this just made those that DID invest into the explorers guild get the raw end of the deal.... The explorers group stat boon is the only boon structure that really "encourages" team play. On top of that, the ability to farm more of a resource isnt really much benefit.

The appeal to this structure for us was the profitability of it and the boon structure was something we were looking at for 5 man partys only but the limitations and lack of benefit of this structure make me wonder why anyone would ever pick it now over a boon that offers 8000 armor pen or 8000 power.... Its too limiting in the stat bonuses AND you cant even make much income from it now.....

We understand that some guilds have already made the switch over to the explorer's guild in light of the original announcement, and that's why we're making the adjustments to the utility boon. We understand that for most guilds, due to the underwhelming performance of the explorer's guild's boons, this decision was economically driven, so we want to make sure we're still rewarding those of you who chose the explorer's guild appropriately. Therefore, you'll be receiving at least double the number of items per explorer's chart, which should be a significant advantage in terms of selling power.

In addition, while I can't promise any immediate changes to the other boons on the explorer's guild, we'll continue to examine the relative desirability and power of those boon structures and consider making changes. We understand that choosing a boon structure is not a light decision given the amount of time and resources invested, and we apologize to anyone who feels that they might have made the wrong decision based on these adjustments.
  • Options
    asterdahl said:

We understand some of you are frustrated that a guild of a high rank is required in order to access this content, but keep in mind, new solo and small group friendly content is coming with Module 8, along with equipment that is very competitive with masterwork profession and dragonflight/lionsmane equipment.

I think the team has strongly misunderstood how much crafting itself as an activity for its own sake is valued among the segment of players that you have decided to exclude from masterwork professions. It's not about the equipment itself or the potential profits, but the sheer fact that the actual activity and content is completely locked out for players who don't meet these steep requirements.

As I said up-thread and a lot of other players have echoed, players who really *love* crafting are more typically solo or small-guild oriented. And those players are not just "disappointed" over your choices here... they are crushed. Personally, I'm annoyed about it, but more because of the failure to comprehend what's important to your base, than feeling it as a blow to myself.

Your numbers might be telling you that masterwork is available to the percentage of players that you wanted to be able to access it. Those numbers cannot tell you if you made it available to the players who wanted it most and would really engage with it and cherish it. And we're telling you it's not.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    Stop playing MMO games if you want to play solo. Join a bigger guild and have fun.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options

Stop playing MMO games if you want to play solo. Join a bigger guild and have fun.

This is such a BS answer though, which gets trotted out every time someone says they don't want to be in a big guild, no matter how legit their reasons for that might actually be. Bigger guild is not fun for everyone, but Neverwinter on their own terms can still be fun, if there aren't too many barriers put in place.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    gwalaplothgwalaploth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User

asterdahl said:

I think the team has strongly misunderstood how much crafting itself as an activity for its own sake is valued among the segment of players that you have decided to exclude from masterwork professions. It's not about the equipment itself or the potential profits, but the sheer fact that the actual activity and content is completely locked out for players who don't meet these steep requirements.

As I said up-thread and a lot of other players have echoed, players who really *love* crafting are more typically solo or small-guild oriented. And those players are not just "disappointed" over your choices here... they are crushed. Personally, I'm annoyed about it, but more because of the failure to comprehend what's important to your base, than feeling it as a blow to myself.

Your numbers might be telling you that masterwork is available to the percentage of players that you wanted to be able to access it. Those numbers cannot tell you if you made it available to the players who wanted it most and would really engage with it and cherish it. And we're telling you it's not.
    Absolutely dead on accurate.
  • Options
    joshmalinjoshmalin Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I hate to say it but this new Dev team, is no better then the last. gated content, behind rank 12 guilds, which isolates 90% of the NWO community from this content, causing elitism within guild, ect. Bravo Cryptic to sucking and ruining another DnD franchised game.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

There will be no change in the required rank, you'll need a rank 6 marketplace to purchase charts. There is no intent to change the rank at which masterwork professions or the associated unspoiled resource gathering becomes available at launch.

One problem we would like to alleviate is preventing crafters who are members of a guild with a sufficiently leveled stronghold from participating simply because their guild has decided the boons on the explorer's guild are underwhelming, which is a desirability issue we would like to improve, but we do not believe that forcing guilds to build this structure to access that content is the right direction.

ayroux said:

We understand that some guilds have already made the switch over to the explorer's guild in light of the original announcement, and that's why we're making the adjustments to the utility boon. We understand that for most guilds, due to the underwhelming performance of the explorer's guild's boons, this decision was economically driven, so we want to make sure we're still rewarding those of you who chose the explorer's guild appropriately. Therefore, you'll be receiving at least double the number of items per explorer's chart, which should be a significant advantage in terms of selling power.

In addition, while I can't promise any immediate changes to the other boons on the explorer's guild, we'll continue to examine the relative desirability and power of those boon structures and consider making changes. We understand that choosing a boon structure is not a light decision given the amount of time and resources invested, and we apologize to anyone who feels that they might have made the wrong decision based on these adjustments.
    asterdahl, while I appreciate the comments, this actually gives me MORE concern than before. Let me explain.

1) Economic Impact.

Guilds who did their homework, or changed over to the explorers boon, did so with the thought that not many people would do this since the boons themselves are lack luster. So this was a pure profit play. The idea was that very few guilds will do this thus created a very limited supply and a high demand for items. Even being able to produce DOUBLE the resources will still be a SIGNIFICANT decrease in demand since supply has just increased probably more than 10 fold! Think about it, if only a few guilds were doing this, thats only a few hundred people that have access to this... Now with EVERYONE being able to farm thats tens of thousands of players who will be "producing" these items. So even though that 1 player still has an advantage, its NOTHING compared to the purchasing power that was just stripped away.

2) Boon/Stat impact.

While I again appreciate the comments that this MAY be improved, what WILL be met VERY harshly with the community is a much later "buff" to this boon's stats. Because then people will inevitably be at a MUCH higher rank of this structure, making it too costly to demolish a boon plot and start over but it will be too good to pass up. So I see TWO options to combat this, and I really hope this is strongly considered.

Option 1) Allow a recovery of resources spent, when demolishing a structure. This doesnt have to be 100% but getting something to rank 10 then destroying it SEEMS like it should give you some "refund" back into the cofferr of sorts to assist with a different one.

Option 2) Rather than having the boon scale based on # of players, just reduce the MAX effectiveness of the boon but make it ALWAYS active (like the other ones). To appropriately scale this, here is the the best way:

Current rank 12: 700 stats.
    Hybrid rank 12: 820 stats.

820/700 = 1.1714 = ~17% more stats for Hybrid.

Make the Explorer Boon ALWAYS offer:
    Deflect, Recovery, Critical Strike, Armor Penetration, Power

But rather than scaling based on # in party, instead make it ALWAYS offer ALL 5 stats and scale it like Hybrid Enchants. So @ rank 10:

Temple offers 8,000 lifesteal.
    Explorer would offer:
    +1900 Deflect
    +1900 Recovery
    +1900 Crit
    +1900 ARP
    +1900 Power

With ZERO scaling based on party size. I think the BIG issue with this boon is the limitation on party size. So scale BACK the max benefits and then make it work more like a "hybrid" option where its an increase in overall stats, and now doesnt require scaling to party size. More people will find this appealing.

An "even better" option to do this would to remove Crit/Deflect and have it offer THREE stats @3000 each.
    Recovery +3000
    ARP +3000
    Power +3000

This would be a more "true" hybrid enchant and even more appealing than the 5 stats.

So now you could get 8k power OR 8k ARP or 3k of 3 stats.

Seems like a fair tradeoff to me!

• Options
    eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User

Small guilds that wont ever have a high SH can make the Explorer's Guild and sell the materials to Crafters that are in a big guild

Nope. Rank-6 explorer's guild also requires rank-12 guild-hall.

• Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User

asterdahl said:

As always, @beckylunatic has said exactly what I was thinking.

I am a member of a small guild - I mean really, really small. About 5 active players and 3 or 4 that show up for new content for a few weeks. We just got a marketplace. These are my friends, I'm not just going to leave to join a big guild. And I'm kind of the "odd man out" in that I usually play at different hours than the rest of my guild. I've not been too worried about the stronghold stuff, because the next mod supposedly offers a way to get "similar gear" via solo play.

I was so looking forward to this mastercrafting and what it could mean for me. I've leveled all crafting professions, I've invested a ton into assets, and I am the only one in my guild that crafts. I did all that before any mention of mastercrafting. When the word came out that there was mastercrafting on the horizon, I thought FINALLY! I can farm for resources, make use of my assets, maybe help the guild a bit more if I can generate some income.

This absolutely crushes any hope I have to be a crafter. "make and sell lower level items need for the new mastercrafts"? C'mon, I'll bet I could have more income from selling stacks of portable altars I get from drops. geesh
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    Hearing that there was stuff in the works to make crafting have items that are of actual worth made me start considering pushing on my crafting skills again.

Seeing that my small guild ain't EVER going to have a chance to get in on that action just killed that notion.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!