test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you PVP in Strongholds if PVE boons were gated behind PVP currency?

cambo1682cambo1682 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 164 Arc User
edited August 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
As described. If the barracks will only accept PVP currency to unlock a huge Power stat boon would you accept it and pvp or opt out of the boon?

Would you PVP in Strongholds if PVE boons were gated behind PVP currency? 96 votes

Yes, I love PVP it's the only part of the game I play anyway.
13%
karakla1drakkon5solbergxmok33cloudius1978critorisaurusmaroon89gweddrycjh1983fatgunsbull53y3Miseryjebemvasdohlav 13 votes
No, I hate PVP I will never participate in that.
44%
hmdq#4491sockmunkeyxiuhdragonroller300rghbrghbjghostragecqexoticazlanfoxurabaskprettyceltjuleadreamsobacarabaturputzboy78buzzardsbaittheycallmetomurickcase276clericalistsuxip01111regenerde 43 votes
It wouldn't make a difference to me either way.
25%
kacezetvsemegin123kvetmynaamrevjimjonesthestiadrkbodhimrrb2000tamsirlidianironzerg79arcofortep12shadows1313rinat114daryarumschekozi001callofkutulutantivetyrellsetimoselobeck54 24 votes
I am not going to be joining a guild so most of Mod 7 will not apply to me.
16%
lordmanshoonniteingaleteribad15sweatapodimastwilightwatchmandfnceshadw2012mamalion1234alpehanscheesegromithammbo1969carlonomorafaustlinaduinkaknoepcptwbang 16 votes

Comments

• romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    So where is the "Since I'm forced to, I will have to."
  • beck54beck54 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    There seems to be loads of pve people running domination. Yesterday during solo q I repeatedly got people in there with 0 tenacity.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    romotheone wrote: »
    So where is the "Since I'm forced to, I will have to."

For me, this, If in order to get PVE boons, I have to PVP a bit; and its the only way (forced); Ill probably do it a bit, till I get sick of it. Then never look at it for another few months.

We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • thestiathestia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Apparently only one is gated through pvp currency, and that's power. All the other resources required to build the structures for boons outside of pvp are acquired via PVE.

From the Strongholds Q&A:

Beckylunatic: Since this question has been cropping up here and there, could we get confirmation that donation of PvP items like Glory are *only* required for the PvP structures like towers? Players seem concerned, and there isn't a simple way to access the information of what you need to build anything you're not currently eligible to build.

Glory and Conqueror’s Shards of Power are required for PvP-related structures (towers, siege structures, and for the straight power bonus on the barracks), but are not required on other structures or the guild hall.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    Unless PVP gets a nice rework and it's different than what it is now, I won't bother with it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • cloudius1978cloudius1978 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Yes, I love PVP it's the only part of the game I play anyway.
    I enjoy both PVE and PVP but I voted "Yes I love PVP..." though it's not the only part of the game I play.

Of course this decision is not entirely mine to make since we'll have to see the guild's direction.
  • MisfitsMisfits Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    i guess we can fight equally geared guilds too. (or set up the matches so 2 guilds would have the same wins/losses)
    Let justice be done, though the heavens fall.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Just imagine how Strongholds PvP will be, when there is no extra "motivation" from the Devs, to get all players into it...
    And the same goes for "motivating" the players to upgrade their equipment over and over again, to even have a chance in PvP.
    1 stone -> 2 birds
    Funny how all those "you will not be forced into PvP for Strongholds" sayers from before have nothing to say now.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Just to make this clear, although I intensely dislike pvp and will never participate in it, I do not disapprove of those who participate in it and respect their desire to do so. However, the player base should never be forced into pvp, for the sake of progressing their character in pve. There is no sense in it and it will only earn the disapproval of the pve side of the playerbase.
  • umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    I really don't mind doing 1 or 2 daily domination, it changes from runing dungeons all the time.

That's what this is all about, the power boon building will need pvp (among all pve marks and other stuff you get by doing pve) marks you get from doing a daily pvp quest, you don't even need to do pvp Stronghold.

I haven't seen Pvpers whine because they'll have to do HEs and dungeons to build those buildings.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Keep in mind, this is a guild effort not an individual one. YOU, personally, don't have to don't one glory point or do an single pvp match. If everyone in your guild is the same, then... true, you will not unlock that power boon, however, if you have a contingent in your guild that does enjoy pvp, then let that be their challenge while the pve folks work on - say - the shards that come from PvE (the DDs for example). I realize that many of you guild-haters won't understand the notion of delegation and dividing responsibility and plain old teamwork (beyond a single instance run), but let's remember here - M7 is designed explicitly to provide content for, enhance the experience of, provide advantages to and ultimately expand the use of guilds in Neverwinter. You can like that or hate it, but that is what it is. The QQ thread for that has run it's course and been closed (appropriately), no reason to make another one.

I voted that it doesn't make a difference because the options didn't take into account options that include things like:

1: I'm willing to support by guild however necessary
    2: My guild is diverse enough to do both PvE and PvP, so I don't see this as a problem.
    3: I don't normally PvP, but the extra rewards are a good incentive to do it more
    4: I'm looking forward to being able to support my guild in PvP since I enjoy it
    5: I like bacon, and I'll kill anyone to make sure my guild has an endless bacon supply because bacon is power.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,183 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Is this something like GG in mod 5? Certain people did PVE to give people who did PVP some advantage (like giving them a giant) so that the whole fraction could win and entered the winner dungeon.

I don't do PVP. However, IMO, whoever who spend the effort to do more should get more. So, people who does PVP should get certain reward. People choose not to do it, they don't.

I tried PVP and even bought a separate set of gear for PVP purpose. Then, I found out I am not good at that at all. In other words, I suck. Hence, no reward. I think that is fair.

Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • wardell2015wardell2015 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    kvet wrote: »
    I realize that many of you guild-haters won't understand the notion of delegation and dividing responsibility and plain old teamwork (beyond a single instance run), but let's remember here - M7 is designed explicitly to provide content for, enhance the experience of, provide advantages to and ultimately expand the use of guilds in Neverwinter. You can like that or hate it, but that is what it is. The QQ thread for that has run it's course and been closed (appropriately), no reason to make another one.

Was lurking to see how mod 7 launch was received, and I couldn't pass up this post to respond. Good work bating. For someone that was accusing others of not understanding logical errors you're certainty quick to use them yourself

Your post implies that people that currently avoid guilds in this game have not helped managed them successfully before; and that people that do not enjoy guild's hubs do not understand teamwork. Also, you imply that instance raids are easy, where as, an instance raids are amongst the most teamwork driven events in a raiding game.

Neverwinter 's current instance/encounters are not balanced for skill, as they can be overpowered by gear or simply have cheating, bugged, broken, scaling weird NPCs. I agree that team work in this game is not great, and a disappointment in comparison to alternatives.

Outdoor instance just have a larger capacity for possible participation, but it is still an instanced encounter. There is a reason they are guild gating the new heroics (I suspect this heavily, but doubt it will be verified). Outdoor legendary encounters in other games are camped by the dominate premier raiding guilds and everyone else had to pay for their gear drops (either by selling the slot or pick-up rights). An example of this is what Aion: Tower of Eternity had, back when I played: The top guilds owned the loot bearing legendary NPC and had them 24/7 locked down; and no one else could have a chance at them due to them being on the global server.

The only thing that is different in this game is they have gave the guilds their own instance and gave other guilds a chance to have segregated attempts on the encounter. I doubt the encounters will be hard for geared guilds and not content meant for normal guilds. Balanced Raids require team work and a requirement of needing people to understand the encounter and working as a team. These outdoor raids end in a Zerg rush if the developers do not prevent the players from overpowering them with gear. I suspect they could be thinking of extending this to under dark's content.

I have seen nothing in the stronghold construction preview that was beyond the teamwork required for a community driven fundraiser. If you find that type of guild activity fun then you would probably enjoy Warframe's clan dojo. It was no stress donate at your leisure to have the coolest place to hang out with your guild and some not so great weapons that were up in cash store for non guild players.

Some people started playing Neverwinter because of the 'Dungeons and Dragons' logo and a friend's recommendation about causal low stress gameplay with dungeon content (outdated recommendation, as people might guess) and thought it was something like the upcoming game Sword Coast Legends.

On-Topic:

Why did they make barracks and the relevant boons require pvp items? Unless they change it as an oversight or bug, it is likely because they want to move more player into participating in pvp: and the better boon for pvp would be a qualifying carrot.

Will this push to get guild based pvp to work? There is likely going to be people willing to do the minimum to get the boon unlocked as long as it does not flag them as a pvp guild.
    Post edited by wardell2015 on
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    thestia wrote: »
    Apparently only one is gated through pvp currency, and that's power. All the other resources required to build the structures for boons outside of pvp are acquired via PVE.

From the Strongholds Q&A:

Beckylunatic: Since this question has been cropping up here and there, could we get confirmation that donation of PvP items like Glory are *only* required for the PvP structures like towers? Players seem concerned, and there isn't a simple way to access the information of what you need to build anything you're not currently eligible to build.

Glory and Conqueror’s Shards of Power are required for PvP-related structures (towers, siege structures, and for the straight power bonus on the barracks), but are not required on other structures or the guild hall.

Their description there is actually misleading. There is no way to build a Barracks (the most universally useful boon structure) while somehow skipping the "power bonus". You can build a Barracks, and then leave it at rank 2, because the power boon unlocks at Barracks rank 3. Not putting in whatever PvP earnings it requires? Can't improve it further. Waste of a plot, waste of resources, etc.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    beck54 wrote: »
    There seems to be loads of pve people running domination. Yesterday during solo q I repeatedly got people in there with 0 tenacity.

Maybe instead of checking everyone's gear, you should actually be playing. Just a thought. Queue the "it only takes a few seconds to check everyone's gear".

The game is PVE based, I think that much should be clear to even the most hardcore PVP player. PVP in MMOs, except maybe a few, is always a sideshow. Therefore, I can see forcing PVP players to do PVE content, but not forcing PVE players to do PVP content.

Here is a compromise - give a PVP option and a PVE option to each, both with a similar level of difficulty, and avoid the problem ENTIRELY. Any boon that is currently PVP involved, make a PvE option, and vice versa.

Forcing people to PVP cheapens the PVP experience, which in turn cheapens the entire game. You will have people in the matches just because they have to - they won't be prepared, they won't have a clue, and they will just get run over. Who benefits there?
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    FORCED PvP has NOT worked as Cryptic has wished for yet, and it will not work in this coming mod or any mod in the future.

Cryptic has a chance with Strongholds to reinvent Neverwinter, to promote playing the game the way you want to play it! They in fact marketed Strongholds this way. However the power boon must be for PvE and PvP guilds alike, or it should be removed from the game entirely.

A single currency Mark of Power is the way to make this equally fair for all styles of guilds, since THE WAY YOU PLAY THE GAME should never be gated, never be ridiculed. Every player is important to the community here (Unless you exploit).

Likewise, guilds that are PvE focused, PvP focused or that do both are not BETTER OR WORSE because of how they choose to play the game. No matter how big or how small ALL guilds are important and will be the foundation for the longevity of Neverwinter. Finally Cryptic is seeing this.

However, a sign of Guild's success in my book is when guildies give you feedback that they love the camaraderie among fellow guildies. Camaraderie will be the GLUE that holds guilds together OVER TIME, NOT BUFFS.

Let's get serious Cryptic about letting people play the game the way they WANT TO PLAY. Because if they can not, they wont "suck it up"... they'll simply leave and play another game.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    I cant vote. I cannot vote because I do not hate pvp and I do pvp. I happen to like PVE more however and believe no pver should ever be forced to pvp. Period.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,041 Arc User
    The countdown is now running in the NWO game launcher, so we will know more about this in less then 7 days.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    I refuse to vote, because this poll is bias. I play both, pvp and pve. Imo it's good that players who do all content get rewarded more than those who only want to participate in one thing.

Do you think all those harcore pvpers enjoy farming dungeons and other pve stuff so they can get AD, boons and other gear that is BIS in pvp?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    I refuse to vote, because this poll is bias. I play both, pvp and pve. Imo it's good that players who do all content get rewarded more than those who only want to participate in one thing.

Do you think all those harcore pvpers enjoy farming dungeons and other pve stuff so they can get AD, boons and other gear that is BIS in pvp?

This is why the suggestion to just make strongholds have ONE kind of shard makes the most sense of all. Players who do more of the different types of quests can earn them faster, but nobody is locked out 100% by tying specific upgrades to certain types of content.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dentage1234dentage1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    So, perhaps this has been answered and I overlooked it. Do the Stronghold boons apply at all times in all areas of the game, or are they only active on the Strongholds map (the way current PvP campaign boons are only active in PvP).

I honestly don't know, and I'm hoping someone can fill me in. It would definitely influence my feelings on the question at hand.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    I am not going to be joining a guild so most of Mod 7 will not apply to me.
    If I was in a guild and it was applicable then my vote would go to "No, I hate PVP I will never participate in that." Although it's not the idea of PvP gameplay I dislike it's more the way a certain element of the player base treats PvP. It becomes and unreliably enjoyable experience.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,458 Arc User
    Absolutely, positively, not. Never. I've run afoul of way too many immature, condescending, rude, or callous PvP'ers doing PvE content. To borrow a quote, I would rather have my hair set on fire and have it put out with a sledgehammer.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • devaneiodevaneio Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Sooner or latter you will realise that you need all the boons. Do you want to be a superhero and fight against the system? Ok, but you know that the future content will be based on those boons. Make up your mind right now and save your time, there are just two options:
    Join a big PvP Guild or use the door.
    graalx3 wrote: »
    The current plan is for all Stronghold boons to be ON whenever you make them active no matter what type of content you are doing or what map you are on.

• juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    devaneio wrote: »
    Sooner or latter you will realise that you need all the boons. Do you want to be a superhero and fight against the system? Ok, but you know that the future content will be based on those boons. Make up your mind right now and save your time, there are just two options:
    Join a big PvP Guild or use the door.
    graalx3 wrote: »
    The current plan is for all Stronghold boons to be ON whenever you make them active no matter what type of content you are doing or what map you are on.

Option 3: GET RID OF PVP ENTIRELY. Now, since that is obviously not going to happen, we need Option 4: Don't force people to play content they do not enjoy. So, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, the ONLY reasonable course of action is to have only one type of Shard that is rewarded for doing quests, dungeons, dailies, HEs and PvP. And to suggest that people need to join a PvP Guild or quit the game is ignorant and condescending.

• devaneiodevaneio Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    juleadream wrote: »
    And to suggest that people need to join a PvP Guild or quit the game is ignorant and condescending.
    You know, you don't need to be rude just because I said the truth that you don't want to hear. OH not only a PvP guild, a big PvP guild. Solo players and small guilds are also discarded.
  • juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    devaneio wrote: »
    juleadream wrote: »
    And to suggest that people need to join a PvP Guild or quit the game is ignorant and condescending.
    You know, you don't need to be rude just because I said the truth that you don't want to hear. OH not only a PvP guild, a big PvP guild. Solo players and small guilds are also discarded.

No, what you basically said was that non-PvP players should just quit the game. I have a news flash for you: the majority of the playerbase does not like PvP. Period. End of story. Saying "join a big PvP guild or quit the game" does not, in any way, shape, or form, do anything address the issue of PvE guilds being forced to do PvP to build the Barracks. In the future, please try to come up with constructive suggestions that further the discussion, or use the door.

FWIW, my guild will not really have a problem with this; while many of us despise PvP (I myself would happily delete every aspect of it from this game given the power to do so, while dancing and singing "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah"), but we have enough of a PvP contingent that the structure will be built in due time.