test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So the XP adjustment.

Comments

• skitzopyroskitzopyro Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    XP given, current XP and overflow XP has been adjusted at levels 61+ so that it is more rewarding to do at level content.
    Invocation was completely destroyed by this change not affecting it. You get maybe 3 bubbles a day after 60 where before 60 with this 2x exp you get almost 2 levels????? WHY You do dis cryptic?
  • jondbxjondbx Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    skitzopyro wrote: »
    XP given, current XP and overflow XP has been adjusted at levels 61+ so that it is more rewarding to do at level content.
    Invocation was completely destroyed by this change not affecting it. You get maybe 3 bubbles a day after 60 where before 60 with this 2x exp you get almost 2 levels????? WHY You do dis cryptic?

I don't think they understand what "more" rewarding really means. Either that or they just didn't test it...... This is just beyond lame.
  • skitzopyroskitzopyro Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    A cold hard reality is going to set in after 2days is up... seriously cryptic why do you guys keep throwing us under the bus?
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    Im afraid this change may encourage players to use bots even more.
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    I was very tolerant when mod 6 dropped. It was buggy, lots of changes that were all over the map, good and bad. I had faith that things would get corrected and tweaked. While some bugs have been fixed, the game itself is going down the rabbit hole, fast. Increasing the amount of XP needed for overflow rewards is making me want to smash my head against the wall.

This is horrible for toons that are behind, especially after they have all the boons (minus Tiamat grind ones). Which means that I have to play the same content over and over to MAYBE get a power point for nothing too rewarding (since I don't need boons). This also forces me to concentrate on one toon. I just want to throw my hands up in disgust and boredom. I can see the next zen store item, 10,000 zen and you can get ALL your power points in an instant.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    ihaveahies wrote: »
    Not very friendly to get rank 4 powers now. The older players lucked out on getting easier ways to earn them.

This very much. Although it isn't just new players who have to struggle with the new exp curves, but also anyone who would dream of just now making an alt.
  • xd108xxd108x Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    Now I get it, before Mod 6 it was perhaps a little too fast to level up and get overflow levels, so then Mod 6 came out and they changed that with quest rewards in the new 60-70 zones giving about half the usual amount. This took some getting use to but I think they should have stopped there as imo it was indeed more balanced then, since it may have taken a day to get from 69-70 for example but that didn't seem unreasonable.

They really should have stopped there, cos even though they have increased the exp rewards they have more than doubled the exp requirements per level, which is only made bareable by the event weekend and even then it seems slower to me than before the patch. I can see myself giving up on at least levelling alts while it stays like this...
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    ... this will be a great eye opener for many people, when the 2x xp event ends.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    colier wrote: »
    People who hit max level multiple times will not stay in game as long due to losing interest..

True, to a point. It's not necessarily "hit max level" that keeps people interested as much as it is "having something fun and novel to do" that keeps the game interesting.

Mindless repetition is not fun. Doubling XP requirements is not adding anything of interest or of value to the game. Neither can be considered content.
  • iwontpostderpiwontpostderp Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    So, now we need even more XP to level up? Who thought this was a good Idea? There is barely any content to speak of, you're telling me that I have to repeat the same mindless and poorly made quests twice or more as much, or buy these booster packs just to have the "same" XP rate as before? Screw that, of all the bad changes that they've made, this is by far the worst one.

At this point, I can see this game sharing the same fate as Champion Online if they keep doing this, why would someone play a game that limits the player that much and with almost no end-game content?
  • castethcasteth Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ok, just to have a better idea

In well of dragon, without double xp, at least you will have + or - 500 xp each group of mobs

Means you need 3570 groups of mobs to have an hypothetic bonus power point

U can also do quest (lvl 70 quest) , that gives you 1500xp, so u need to do them 1190x (without xp from killing mob into those quest, so lets say half : 595 quest )

Yesterday i gained a bonus lvl ( reached 1785k xp ) and i won a black opale ( too bad i dont need them anymore )

Means that i think i'll need something like a month or 2 to have a new chance to have a bonus power point ( if i only spend my time in mob farming )

I'm paladin, i can't kill mobs as fast as the other class ( excepting dc )

Good luck for the new dc and paladin to have those points.

I think i should start to think about having a bo.. to farm, because i don't see where is the fun to farm this amount of mob just to have a little chance chance for the extra point.

I would like to see a video of a cryptic employee farming like a beast to reach that lvl, and his feeling about it, because actually, excepting pvp for big build player, there is no more fun anywhere for ending player game.

If you think socialty in game is the best reason for us to stay, let me tell you that i can talk to my friend in many other way ( facebook, twitter etc.. )

Regards.

• carlonomocarlonomo Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    jondbx wrote: »
    skitzopyro wrote: »

I don't think they understand what "more" rewarding really means. Either that or they just didn't test it...... This is just beyond lame.

yeah its almost as though they are doing the opposite intentionally? didnt realize this was a game designed by trolls...
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    rankedzerg wrote: »
    casteth wrote: »
    If you think socialty in game is the best reason for us to stay, let me tell you that i can talk to my friend in many other way ( facebook, twitter etc.. )

Regards.

For sociability... two words one number... Guild Wars 2. They won best community in 2013 and their first expansion Heart of Thorns should be releasing soon (I estimate before the Summer is done.) and I do believe they're putting the core game into the expansion to draw in new players as well.

Well, except it is really a level grind... I know I have 3 level 80s and all the other classes between 20-60. The content is around a thousand times larger, but the difficulty is also way up there. I quit them because of Ascended gear and breaking the devs' original promise of no gear chasing grind.

Interesting note though, they released a full game earlier then NWO, have not increased a level cap... have PvP kept separate from PvE so the two skill frameworks do not largely affect one another, and their cash shop is largely for cosmetics (which is 1000% better).
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • carlonomocarlonomo Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    also why the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> would anyone buy a booster for just a CHANCE at getting a power point... must think the playerbase for dnd is stupid?
    At this point, I can see this game sharing the same fate as Champion Online ...

Don't you mean, City of Heroes? I have a feeling that Protector's Enclave and Paragon City will be very congruent.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The vigilance quests also offer double the previous amount of XP--which with double XP in place is actually 4x the XP.

But the amount of XP needed for an overflow reward (praise be to RNGesus) has more than doubled, and the XP granted by other repeatable campaign quests, invocation, leadership, and good old grindy monster killing is untouched in this patch. Buffing only vigilance XP means it's overall a massive net loss in the return on gaming time invested.

"More rewarding" maybe in bizarro world. If they had doubled the XP rewards from vigilance tasks, without simultaneously nerfing progression, perhaps these would be more appealing to play as an alternative to campaign areas when you're level capped, or finding *any way* to get from level 60-70 other than using the poorly received vigilance quest system. Poor XP wasn't the only reason people didn't want to do the vigilance tasks more than absolutely necessary, and making them the aspect of the game that has the most potential for filling up an increasingly bigger overflow bucket isn't going to make these quests any less boring or aggravating (and face it, even with the various fixes, very few of them are enjoyable to do more than once, and in a lot cases, once is a stretch).

Remember that campaign quest XP was given a hefty nerf when the vigilance tasks were first rolled out, and the amount of XP required for an overflow reward was increased at the same time. And the initially overlooked Tyranny dailies were given a follow-up nerf to bring them in line with the others. Doing any repeatable missions of your choice gave roughly equivalent progress, at a slower rate than pre-M6. Now that choice has been taken away. Even if you don't feel like you're being railroaded into buying XP boosters, you're being railroaded into the content that players have for the most part looked at and said "no, thank you, I'd rather go feed myself to Tiamat again".

As far as I've ever seen, Neverwinter has been given much more praise over the rapid levelling progression than criticism from gamers who feel that it should take months to gain a level in an MMO. And those who feel that levels 1-60 sped by too quickly feel that way because they worry about missing out on the engaging bits of the storyline, not because they wanted to be bogged down in endless repetitive drudgery.

I had been doing some questing on all my characters every week, even if it was just one Portal/Culling combo, and some Return on Investment for the ones that I don't play much, because that little bit of progress was still adding up noticeably. Now? I can't really see a lot of justification for bothering.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Don't you mean, City of Heroes? I have a feeling that Protector's Enclave and Paragon City will be very congruent.

COH was actually a tremendous game that was most certainly not P2W. As long as your toon was 50 and had at the very minimum a few orange sets and a few of the Avatar feats (whatever they were called in DJ Zero party mission zone), then you could be highly effective in PVP. Even my AR/En blaster with no points or slots in melee attacks could do substantial work.

Hell, the best PVPer in the game (our lord and savior Twixt) had some miserable gear. The 2nd best PVPer in the game JoJo the Bunny had awesome gear, but he could be taken down by a good team of heroes.

COH was infinitely more balanced than NWO.

• edintheforthedintheforth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    The vigilance quests also offer double the previous amount of XP--which with double XP in place is actually 4x the XP.

Are you sure of this?

I'm trying to level up my level 60 SW in Drowned Shores. Each vigilance task gives less than 7k XP (with 21% multiplier), which means, I need to do more than 40 vigilance tasks in the first area of the Drowned Shores just to get from level 60 to 61!

What is the reasoning behind that?

Are you sure of this?

I'm trying to level up my level 60 SW in Drowned Shores. Each vigilance task gives less than 7k XP (with 21% multiplier), which means, I need to do more than 40 vigilance tasks in the first area of the Drowned Shores just to get from level 60 to 61!

Vigilance tasks used to give about 1.7k XP each (that's with whatever modifiers I was carrying), the same as the majority of campaign daily quests still do.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• edintheforthedintheforth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Are you sure of this?

Vigilance tasks used to give about 1.7k XP each (that's with whatever modifiers I was carrying), the same as the majority of campaign daily quests still do.

It's not about the amount of the XP each one gives, but the proportion to how much it's needed to achieve one level.

What in your opinion, is the amount of tasks one should complete in each area before passing onto the next? And by area I mean a region of the map (like the first 16 tasks in Drowned Shores or whatever other place). If you are not a power player that can log in more than 6 hours per day, I say that 40+ is not reasonable.

EDIT: grammar
  • zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    The problem is the loading of the exp curve and the lack of of 60-70 PVE content.
    1-50 freaking goes too fast, I frequently outlevel zones if I try to completely follow the story. Then BAM lvl 60 so, you'll catch up with the 1-60 content, still be 60 and head to Exceptionally Evil Vigilance quests.
    Before 60 you couldn't finish the quests off before it was time to move on, now, it's the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, with very little story and MUCH harder mobs.

It's not about the amount of the XP each one gives, but the proportion to how much it's needed to achieve one level.

What in your opinion, is the amount of tasks one should complete in each area before passing onto the next? And by area I mean a region of the map (like the first 16 tasks in Drowned Shores or whatever other place). If you are not a power player that can log in more than 6 hours per day, I say that 40+ is not reasonable.

To be clear, I am not remotely defending this change. I'm completely disgusted with it but don't really need to rehash all of my comments made elsewhere.

I'm just saying that they did increase the XP granted by individual vigilance tasks. Roughly doubled, I thought. One of the initial criticisms of vigilance tasks was that their XP was unrewarding and it was better to do pretty much *anything* else to get from 60-70. So, the patch superficially appears to have addressed that complaint.

They simultaneously increased the XP needed to level up (not sure by how much as I have no levelling characters right now), and to gain overflow experience rewards (more than doubled). No other quests received a corresponding buff in XP granted.

This was touted in the patch notes as making it "more rewarding" to do at-level content. Because apparently the notes were written to troll us.

Basically, they made the vigilance tasks the most rewarding way to gain XP by introducing a system in which everything else is so unrewarding they're your only option, and even that's a slow crawl through mud.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User

They simultaneously increased the XP needed to level up (not sure by how much as I have no levelling characters right now)
    I can't remember the pre-nerf numbers but I can give a qualitative comparison.

The two toons I previously levelled to 70 hit SpinRise as early as possible - around L68. By the time I finished the Vigilance tasks and got my mainhand I was just about at L70. So around 2 levels for the 50-something quest I did in the zone.

This weekend - during Double XP - I levelled a third toon. I took her into SpinRise at around L67.5 and by the time I gained my mainhand I was just short of L69. That's 1.5 levels for more than 50 quests AT DOUBLE XP. Without the event I'd have maybe managed 1 level.

The real killer, though, is that 69-70 now requires a whopping 720k XP and the only place you can gt it is by redoing content you already did time and time and TIME AGAIN.

This has to be a miscalculation. Someone got their math wrong somewhere, because nobody is going to be able to stomach this much grind. Not only am I done levelling any toon past 60 now I robably won't even finish levelling the one stuck at 69 until the next Double XP event. If at all. And that means I won't be spending any cash on them.

Talk about counter-productive.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited July 2015
    umcjdking wrote: »

COH was actually a tremendous game that was most certainly not P2W....

....COH was infinitely more balanced than NWO.

Indeed. I can't disagree there. I thought CoH was pretty decent. The parallel that I'm drawing though isn't with the game, content, or balance. More so, it's with the end result.
  • killerwhale87killerwhale87 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    This leveling thing hurt pretty bad... was in the middle of leveling my 4th toon from 60 and bam patch hit. Now I haven't leveled in days. In fact I gave up. 1.2mil left, I said screw that. Even with 83% Exp gain on my character, it would still take upwards of 80 more quests in spinward rise after already completeing 20+ Sooo repetitive that I feel like I give up on this game that used to be fun. I don't like playing my other 70 toons either, same situation. Get to 70, now repeat the same dungeon over and over, often times failing do to lack of player knowledge. The time/reward ratio is now so far off from the beaten path, that I can definitely keep my money in my wallet at this point. Nothing worth donating for.

Not just crying about <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, I'm a long term player here... 1.5years+ and cant see much light left at the end of the tunnel. Everyone like me who plays multiple characters, can feel the pain! Remember the learning curve of player #1? Remember how long it took to get your first bank roll? Remember the length of time it ALREADY took to complete all boons from scratch? Carpal tunnel is real, so is time with family!! Therefor I wont ever level another toon, also cannot see how any fresh player would be having fun from 0-70 1st run at it. Especially after they learn the time/reward scale VS a seasoned vets equipment.

Before mod6 I had all the newest gear sets, all toons fully updated with all boons minus last few tiamat boons. Had a blast leveling each toon! Now I got 3 back on track (Barely - Only DC doing real well) and they are fun from time to time but I hit the repeat wall with my head a few to many, especially my main.
    At the point I was looking for something else to do, "oh level my last alt" and got shut down like I couldn't believe.
    Exp Required more than Quadrupled
    Quest Exp Only Doubles
    Mob Exp Roughly The Same
    MOB HP +50% ADDING EVEN MORE TIME!

Where does it end? All of that at once was a terrible idea.

GG Cryptic, fix it soon, or you may have just hit the self destruct button.
    SOLACE 3.2k Faithful DC AP Build
    SOLIDUS 2.7k GWF 20kPower Destroyer
    JAFFAR 2.3k SW Fury Hellbringer
    SOLONDRA 2.3k TR Saboteur
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    In all actuality, this puts them more in line with the MMO average. More XP required equates to more grind time which in turn means more commitment required for the game. Its part of a retention strategy and long term playability move. The problem here is that you need to have a game people care about with excellent mechanics and content, as well as maps where grinding is actually possible.

Someone took the notion that some put out there about how they missed the more interesting story driven leveling experience and somehow mistook that to mean we actually wanted to level longer, while forgetting that they have nothing interesting for leveling 61-70.

Perhaps it is a move to finally kill off the altaholics, slowly frustrate the old timers until they just give up on the alts and cash in their stuff to focus on one character. Or we give up and go elsewhere.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    azlanfox wrote: »
    Perhaps it is a move to finally kill off the altaholics, slowly frustrate the old timers until they just give up on the alts and cash in their stuff to focus on one character. Or we give up and go elsewhere.
    As a bone fide Altaholic I already started this process. Of course the downside for them is - who on Earth is going to bother trying out a new class now?
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    azlanfox wrote: »
    As a bone fide Altaholic I already started this process. Of course the downside for them is - who on Earth is going to bother trying out a new class now?

Exactly.. what the heck, when did a GAME NOT encourage alts.. its been shown over and over.. those who play more then one toon, has spent more in game.

Why discourage the practice? I simply cannot fathom it.

There is no way to play the game now with more then one toon, which is terribly sad, what a bad way to run a mmo.

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    ... or what about Strongholds?
    Why even bother with the next module, when building or upgrading a guild base might take as long as leveling a new character?
    Sure, if you are in a full guild, with active players all around you, that might go faster - or it might just be at a "normal" pace, with everyone in a full guild working their ... off.

They should rethink their current course fast...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • kronus#9296 kronus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 163 Arc User
    colier wrote: »
    People who hit max level multiple times will not stay in game as long due to losing interest...if they stay in game longer they will most likely spend more ZEN...it could be looked at as a win for Cryptic cash flow wise.

I won't spend another dime until:

1. They start listening to us.
    2. Prove that the game can be stable again like it was before Mod 6. No more massive lag, no more rubberbanding.
    3. Fix the damn bugs.