What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    wylonus said:

anti paladin is now as Blackguard, they wont survive as soon they walk into city of neverwinter, they are not "heroes".
    Neverwinter Nights series allow that, it kinda strange.

Not in 5th edition. The alignment system has changed. Paladins no longer need to be good, they can be any alignment, just like any other class. And seeing as how we don't have anti-rogues, or anti-clerics, or anti-bards, there is no reason for an anti-paladin.

• Options
    anarchjackanarchjack Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    The Psionicist...I mean really? Its common sense, look at the monsters/bosses within the game. Most of them have abilities of one or a couple classes. So why in the nine hells do we have illithids but no class that can perform psionic warfare right back? You want a class that can be versatile and have a lot of potential. Easy answer...psionicist, besides its one that hopefully arc would invest time in to make versatile but at the same time not overpowered. I say make it a dps/tank class and not allow it to heal...especially since in dnd this class is very limited on the healing it can provide to its party.
  • Options
    wd1966wd1966 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    Looking over the 5th edition rules that I could get my hands on, the "new class" question has been nagging at me as to what is available. I spent a Saturday night with the Vin Diesel movie, "The Last Witch Hunter", and pose the following to the content team:

Path 1- Class expansion to open a third path for all classes, and one new class with three paths available (AKA Bards).

Path 2- Roll out the remaining three archetypes rolling the class count to 12 setting up for 2 classes in each skill node, Religious, Dungeoneering, Arcane, Nature, and Thieving. One class will have all skills. :)

For the classes remaining, the maps I created for consideration are:

Monk- Unarmed/Armed combat, Primary Stat is Dexterity, Supporting stats are Strength and Wisdom. The Daily Powers are Ki driven healing and combat actions. The two paths at level 30 would be Harmonious Balance with AoE healing, and Inevitable Dominion with increased attacks/specialty actions. Fighting abilities would be a mixing of GF/TR with and without weapons. Weapons include scimitars, quarter staff, and daggers. Armor would be cloth for both paths, and leather for Inevitable Dominion path only. Skill node would be Thieving.

Druid- Elemental/Shapechanging combat. Primary stat is Wisdom. Supporting stats are Strength and Constitution. The Daily Powers would be a mix of DC/HR themed towards Nature. The two paths at level 30 would be Shapechange Warrior, with choice of animal to attack as and Elemental Mastery, with skills expanded from the Moonshae Druid. Weapons include scimitars, quarter staff, and daggers. Armor would be leather and Elven chainmail for both paths. Skill node would be Nature.

Bard- Jack of all trades. Primary stat is Charisma. Supporting stats are Constitution and Strength, (or Wisdom and Intelligence). The Daily Powers would be a mix of song-based effects similar to GWF roars and screams for uplifting, stunning, and paralyzing. The two paths at level 30 would be Spellsinger like the companion Lillend or the minstrel, and Swordsinger, with specialty attacks using any sword. Weapons would be one-handed swords, quarter staff, or a 'Bard' musical weapon (which could be fun in the design phase). Armor would be cloth, leather, or Elven chainmail. This class would be able to open all skill nodes.

From the 5th edition rules, all three of these have limited healing abilities for allies, and slightly better for themselves. The monk's is described like the DC's Sunburst as a heal effect around him, plus the monk can attack multiple enemies at once, more with just empty hands. As for feats, these three classes would have a shared pool for both amongst them as well as from the existing classes as appropriate. and then unique feats to set them apart
  • Options
    wd1966wd1966 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 64 Arc User
    As for the Psionicist, the "first edition" portrayed them as an extension of the Monk with high intelligent taking physical prowess inward, and opening the door to D-N-D style "Jedi mind tricks." This could be a Feat path for the Monk, as I described above.

:)
  • Options
    xkrz8xdeathxkrz8xdeath Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I think the bard race would be awsome it hinders its targets so it probably would be an awsome debufer & buffer race
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Regardless of how they are portrayed, so long as the class if added got more than a tip of the hat if made part of a monk class. In DnD the amount of psionic powers is staggering, and it wouldn't do justice to give a monk 3 psionic powers and say "There we go, psionicist is now covered too." Also, it could be added as the first true melee class that uses intelligence/wisdom as its main stats.
  • Options
    efchenefchen Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Pale Master and "Follower of the Red Dragon" ( Or what ever they're called in english) are classes I want to see ingame.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    that could be "Disciple of Red Dragon" in previous edition. i love it in neverwinter night 1, but NWN2 suffer so much cutbacks and had to load up fan-made mod for wings.
  • Options
    killybamp#8011 killybamp Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Lancer/Dragoon. Whatever the D&D equivalent of those is.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    I voted druid in hopes of a shape-changer. The classic druid can heal, nuke, or melee by (spells, other spells, shapechange) and was a jack of all trades. Monk doesn't make sense to me, you have to "make up" nonsensical weapons and armor to fill the gear slots on a character that really doesn't need much more than an enchanted robe. But I am thinking classic D&D not the new stuff. Barbarian is just another gwf. Sorcerer is just another wiz/lock/etc. Bards can be really neat but having played a minstrel in LOTRO I am personally not keen on that path again. Sooo, yea, we can haz boomkin?
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    i played minstrel, didnt like as "healer class", they got awful big "Bullseye" painted on them saying kill me first.

eq2 got them as group buffer.

bards would be jack of trades, they can open any profession nodes without a kit. then again, profession nodes really need a complete overhaul, it was heavy nerfed and worthless to bother for 1 item. seeing no chance for any ultra rare materials, mostly low tier greys or if lucky to get any green.
  • Options
    coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Since you all went with hard core class based system, I would like the 4E swordmage as that is probably the only thing that would make me spend any real time on this game. 5E does not mix well with the 4E stuff this game is setup for since 5E is much more like the old school 2E. I would not mind a complete class overhaul to allow for 5E ruleset however, as I find that ruleset a million times better anyways as it really does harken back to the good old days of D&D and not the munchkin fest that is 3.x series or the videogame on paper that is 4E. Not that the 4E ruleset is all that terrible as a videogame.... I just like 5E a LOT better...but I don't know how you are going to shoehorn that into this game.
  • Options
    tachiharatachihara Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Feel like we need another class who's primary role is to heal. However, I'd also like to see a fist fighter too. Kensai would be a cool class to have, like in BG2.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    tachihara said:

Feel like we need another class who's primary role is to heal. However, I'd also like to see a fist fighter too. Kensai would be a cool class to have, like in BG2.

For healing there are already two characters with that capability the Cleric and the Paladin, as well as Hunter Rangers, Scourge Warlocks and Great Weapons Fighters with some limited shared healing capabilities.

I'd like to see something totally different than what we already have available, for instance:
    • A Druid that can summon Earth elemental spirits like sprites, dryads, and animals to fight along side them (admittedly with some HR overlap).
    • A Necromancer Mage that can summon undead to aid them (again with some overlap to CW).
    Of course I'd also like to see Neverwinter include character alignment like Lawful Good, Neutral and Chaotic Evil in their character development and as in D&D Lawful Goods cannot party up with Chaotic Evil without both losing a little of their innate class skill effectiveness.

But that's just a thought.
    DD~
  • Options
    celticdaddy77#4008 celticdaddy77 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    shifter druid FTW
  • Options
    slygamer79slygamer79 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Druid because shape-shifting for the win ! :smiley:
  • Options
    Shifting druid would be a complete fail, it would be a game ruining class if they made it like those in WoW. They were op if you played them but when all else fails and you can run a raid with all druids, its a bit much. Now elemental/fey summoning abilities would be nice though I still say Psionicist, devs have already opened that door by putting illithids in a game. Now we need a class that can fight on the same level with similar abilities, easily an intelligence/wisdom class for dps/tanking. As far as some of the other comments, I do believe another healer would be nice or a bard so long as Neverwinter bards weren't made like those in FF14.
  • Options
    logicmage#7779 logicmage Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Fighters are versatile, damage and tank based units, capable of sustaining and dealing massive blows, but a new variant of them could be possibly the greatest thing the world has ever seen; Eldritch Knights. Intelligent, strong, and just as tough as usual, Eldritch knights add spell-casting to the fighter's arsenal. Capable of wielding devastating Abjuration and Evocation magic, they can level the battlefield faster than practically anyone else. They can use any weapon that their fighting style allows them. They cannot be disarmed and can attack directly after casting a spell. Of course, they can't be as powerful with their magic as other casters, but their raw talent most certainly cannot be denied.
  • Options

Fighters are versatile, damage and tank based units, capable of sustaining and dealing massive blows, but a new variant of them could be possibly the greatest thing the world has ever seen; Eldritch Knights. Intelligent, strong, and just as tough as usual, Eldritch knights add spell-casting to the fighter's arsenal. Capable of wielding devastating Abjuration and Evocation magic, they can level the battlefield faster than practically anyone else. They can use any weapon that their fighting style allows them. They cannot be disarmed and can attack directly after casting a spell. Of course, they can't be as powerful with their magic as other casters, but their raw talent most certainly cannot be denied.

I suppose they could do a THIRD fighter class (and the 5th? Martial class) and make it an EK ala 5E...but that seems a bit excessive. I'd be okay with it if that was the only way for us to get a fighter/mage in this game however.
  • Options
    astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Talking about possible character classes, I like to offer new class---a fighterman/rogue type. A Zorro-type risktaker with a "dark-hero" type of combat...long range with crossbow (hung at this character side when not been use) and close range with a longsword/scimitar/rapier and handheld buckler (a "kettle lid" type of shield), when combating an enemy. And this character wear armor types up to (and including) breastplate and conquistador/English round-helm helmet (full-plate is too awkward for this class).
    I favor calling this character class "Duelist", but "Witch-Hunter" or "Inquisitor" would work just as well... just a thought.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    The Eldritch Knight that uses the Dualist fighting style - in 5e that means one handed weapons with no shield (think... fencing) would be a solid fighter / mage combo. In 5e, this combo allows the fighter to make a weapon attack followed by a spell attack. That would make a nice class in NW.

Having said that, I still believe the next class will be a Druid or Bard. Druid will be a DC clone with different powers (like how OP was a GF clone). Bard will probably be an HR clone, and monk would be a TR clone. The reason HR and SW weren't clones of an existing class is because they were under development before the game was live, same with SW. Now, though, NW is being run on the cheap, so make sure not to set your expectations too high...
  • Options
    Considering that this started back over a year ago with nothing in the winds...I do kinda have to wonder if this game is gonna get ANY new classes at this point or if they are looking at NW2 using the 5th ed rulset.
  • Options
    jganthjganth Member Posts: 88 Arc User

Considering that this started back over a year ago with nothing in the winds...I do kinda have to wonder if this game is gonna get ANY new classes at this point or if they are looking at NW2 using the 5th ed rulset.

Agreed; we're October 2016 now, with pages of deep research, internet-sized opinions and discussion on the topic. Fact is there's more than enough content to supplement 3 or more classes given the 25plus years of D&D sources, so the question remains...?

When?

I understand that WOTC may force your development schedules to coincide with their module/content releases (Tyranny, Elemental, Giants, etc...) but surely there's a budget to supplement the game with existing content that was not at launch. The comparison here is mostly with other Neverwinter titles (NWN, NWN2) - many more classes.
  • Options
    thegreatmikeythegreatmikey Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    We need a class that uses power armour with rocket boots and railguns!
  • Options

We need a class that uses power armour with rocket boots and railguns!

I think you have the wrong game sir...Champions is that way...and maybe STO over there.
  • Options
    bjw4#9717 bjw4 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    First, I'm a PS4 player, but I think the thread in our forum for this redirects to the PC thread. So, hi there, PC guys and gals!

Given the options of Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Monk and Sorcerer, I'd say Druid. I recognize there's an "other" option, but I'm also thinking along the lines of "what does the game need most to make it the truest D&D experience?" Sure, I'd love to see some favorite obscure Prestige Class make it in, but not before a long-time core class like these.

My reasoning:

1. "True spellcasters" are outnumbered by traditional non-spellcasters or minor/partial spellcasters. 2 Fighters, Rogue, Paladin, Ranger vs. Cleric, Warlock and Wiz. So let's take Barbarian and Monk off the table. (Barbarian DEFINITELY overlaps with GWF anyway, and Rogue kinda overlaps with Monk. Considering that the D&D Monk's main advantage, unmatched mobility, is par for the course in a MMO and already a feature of the TR, Monk would probably just be a TR with self-healing and resistance powers.)

2. Sorcerer is too new. All of the other classes have a much richer history in the game, and I'm awarding points for that.

3. Bard is too catchall. While this makes them GREAT on the gaming table, in a numbers-saturated environment like a MMO, methinks they'd be either too good at everything, and everyone would play them, or too bad at everything and no one would.

That leaves the Druid as top priority. An elder statesman of the game, the Druid has always sat between the Cleric and Wizard on the "healz vs. kaboomz" spellcasting spectrum, while hosting a ton of unique abilities as well so they don't just feel like a 'tweener class.

So here's some brainstorming:

Class name: Sentinel Druid
    Stats: Wisdom primary, Dex and Con secondary (the "burly" caster)
    Main role: Melee Controller (Control Wiz is the only "true" controller, and we don't have a melee controller.)
    Secondary role: Leader, healer/buffer.
    Skill: Nature (also a skill that only has 1 in-born practitioner, meaning the Barbarian and Druid would get extra consideration to make balance.)
    Main-hand weapon: Sickles. (Scimitars may be a more popular choice throughout tabletop history because of rolling a d6 over a d4 for damage, but I feel like the Sickle is the quintessential Druid weapon.)
    Off-hand: Totems. (Not much to explain there.)
    Armor: Hide. (Duh.)

Class Mechanic: Wild Shape. I'm not sure EXACTLY how this would function, but it would be the root of their Shapeshifting At-Wills, Encounters, Dailies. It could be a depleting gauge like a Rogue's Stealth, or a charge-building meter like a Cleric's Divine Power, but basically it would be an on/off binary switch to change how certain powers function. I'd say it'd work like a combination of Divine Power and Determination: you build charges to activate a state change, but you can't turn it off until it expires. I think that'd be fitting, and introduce a level of complexity to play. Because the Druid's role would be that of controller, perhaps inflicting debuffs is what increases the meter? Perhaps each Encounter power has a particular Wild Shape form associated with it, and once you trigger Wild Shape, that determines which form you assume?

Paragon Paths: (going directly from 5E here.)
    Circle of the Moon: focusing on the Shapeshifting portfolio, the tank-ier, controller-ier Druid.
    Circle of the Land: focusing on the spellcasting portfolio, the healer/buffer Druid.

Feat Paths:
    Primal Avenger: focuses on DPS.
    Guardian Anchorite: focuses on Control.
    Serene Caretaker: focuses on healing/buffing.

Basically, as noted, they'd be a melee/close range controller. They'd have to have some tankiness to them to survive in this role, and exactly how much control to put into their At-Wills is of concern, especially if debuffing is how they charge Wild Shape. I'd say Thorn Whip, as a "new classic" ranged attack that pulls the target closer, is something of a necessity, but should it be an At-Will or a quick-recharge Encounter? Maybe a "charge-up" At-Will, with the length of charge time determining the strength of the pull.

Other essential powers (or ideas for powers):

Call Lightning -- it's a Druid classic, and it could be either a single potent strike of lightning with an AoE, or an ongoing zone of DoT spikes. An Encounter, but could also be a Daily.

Magic Stone -- another Druid classic, could easily be the base ranged At-Will. Toss a glowing rock.

Predator's Pounce -- this would be a big part of their melee control, to Wild Shape into a panther or something, charge and knock the target prone, and bite them. An Encounter.

Crushing Coils -- close range, Wild Shape into a constrictor snake to immobilize the target and inflict DoT.

Shillelagh -- a Druid classic, it would be a buff that transforms the Sickle into a glowing rod, which is then used to beat the opponent senseless.

Goodberry -- Druid classic, some kind of minor heal for friendlies at close range, possibly removes DoT as well.

Savage Mauling -- Wild Shape into a bear, and a smack from a meaty paw either dazes or stuns the target.

These are just some thoughts I rattled off.
  • Options
    drizztfohldrizztfohl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    Duel wielding fighter. Ranger is fine, but uses short swords only. So maybe barbarians. They should have the ability to wield two great weapons.
  • Options
    deathdawg#1568 deathdawg Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    I know that this thread is old and there is no evidence that the devs even looking at the thoughts that have been placed but after reading a few posts, newer ones since i was last in this thread, I wanted to add my thoughts.....

First = I would love to see a third path added to the classes that are currently in the game and the addition of one or more classes to the game could be the kick off for this addition. Rangers could get Beast Master added with the ability to summon a spirit animal similar to SW with soul puppet. SW/CW could get a Pale Master variant.

Last = Monks, Druids and Bards could be added to introduce a new path for each class but with monk the weapons could be simple basically would be handwraps, shortswords or staff with offhand being prayer beads
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016

I know that this thread is old and there is no evidence that the devs even looking at the thoughts that have been placed but after reading a few posts, newer ones since i was last in this thread, I wanted to add my thoughts.....

No evidence? Perhaps not directly but I can assure you, they are watching this thread. In any case, on the note of class, I present thee with words from our beloved Lead Designer, Thomas Foss ( aka @mimicking#6533 )
    Thomas: No, it's uh... it's crazy. No, wait... this just in. I'm going to, somebody said something... somebody said something about Druids... who was it? Sorry, I'm new to this live stream thing. *scrolls through Twitch Chat* Uhh, I'm not... I already talked about Foundry! Rewind a little bit.. I talked about some Foundry. I'd like more but we can't right now. Maybe a Foundry Dragon would be cool. Getting any kind of assets in the Foundry would be cool. But I just don't have the time for it. Uhm... DRUIDS, YES! Somebody talked about druids. They, uh, believe, uh... I don't think they're going to happen any time soon. But I'll tell you around the Team, Druids and Monks have been the thing that everybody keeps like, "I want this," you know, "I want a Druid," "I want a Monk!"

Andy: Everyone's like, "Druids, druids, druids!"

Thomas: Yeah, Druids and Monks! I want one! I think I actually put one in Temple of the Spider, one of the contacts... YES!, one of the contacts that you talk to is a druid, he's the one that asks you to capture the warp spiders for him, yeah. I'm sorry, I've totally gone off track again.

Andy: *laughs* No, it's cool! It's cool!

Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    elforenelforen Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Took a long time to red through all of this. A lot of great ideas, but I noticed there are companions in the classes being described. Swashbucklers, Moonshae Druids, Bard-like harp-wielders. Can't the dev's enhance them to character class level, with enhancements that fit the game?

With Illithids in the mix at end game, wouldn't bumping the character levels to 75 or 80 demand such accoutrements?