test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Emote Pack - Air Guitar & More!

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited August 2013 in Super News Network
New emotes are arriving in Champions Online, with the new Dance Emote Pack unlocking five new emotes for 475 ZEN, including the much-anticipated Air Guitar!

Get into Caprice one more time for some chords, because all of these dance-themed emotes are going to make you a juke box hero.

(Direct link in C-Store)

This is a little bit of an experiment for us. If this pack does well, we'll probably end up releasing more in the future. Now that LordGar knows how to make them, it's not excessively difficult. There's a good-sized list of emotes that are unreleased, and there's enough fodder for additional packs... again, assuming that the pack does well.

(Note: There's a pretty hard limit on how much we can do, though, because while using these unreleased emotes isn't too hard, making new emotes definitely is. Just like this one, any possible future emote packs would be made of previously-unreleased emotes.)

(To head off a question players will probably ask, no, we can't use the NW emotes -- they adapted CO emotes into the NW configuration, but there are tech difficulties converting their emotes into CO.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think 475z is a bit steep - the same price as a costume pack. Something more along the lines of the emblem packs at 100z or the Harajuku Twins 200z would be more realistic for people and i think would engender more zen sales to be honest.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What else are you going to spend your monthly 500Zens?
    :wink:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First off, Air Guitar and Shake Hips are just AWESOME. Very well done! Well worth the purchase for those two alone.

Request:

/folded_arms - WE NEED THIS NOW (CO NPCs can do it all over)
    /wall_lean - WE ALSO NEED THIS NOW (seen STO Romulan NPCs do it)

Issues:

/dance_dj_mix does a very strange thing with your facial expression when you stop dancing. And it takes a second or two to move your teeth back into position when done.
    /dance_cheer does an odd thing with your eyes whenever you do the double hand clap. Something with your eyebrows.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    First off, Air Guitar and Shake Hips are just AWESOME. Very well done! Well worth the purchase for those two alone.

Request:

/dance_shakehips needs a repeat indefinitely function.
    /folded_arms - WE NEED THIS NOW (CO NPCs can do it all over)
    /wall_lean - WE ALSO NEED THIS NOW (seen STO Romulan NPCs do it)

Issues:

/dance_cheer is the exact same emote as /cheer. Strange that it's there in the paid pack.

Also add an actual sleep emote and hands on hips emote and I will be one happy camper.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Price point is a bit too high for me--I think 100-200 sounds more reasonable. I don't use emotes a lot.

You'll see, I guess.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As I said elsewhere:

Yay! New C-store stuff!

For years, I said I'd buy emotes if they were ever sold, and now I'm very happy to put my money where my mouth is.

And yes, want moar. I hope this is profitable enough to justify the most requested ones. *fingers crossed* If you give some ones that make for good poses (arms crossed, etc.), I'll do a few new comics for you guys.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »
    Also add an actual sleep emote and hands on hips emote and I will be one happy camper.

The problem is that even STO doesn't have a proper sleep emote (although I think they redid it sorta recently). It looks more of a 'lay straight down as if you're in a coffin' look.

But at least it moves now (you breathe). I don't remember it doing so before.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Issues:

/dance_cheer is the exact same emote as /cheer. Strange that it's there in the paid pack.

I am getting two different emotes when I try /em cheer and /em dance cheer...doesn't look the same to me...
    /dance_dj_mix does a very strange thing with your facial expression. And it takes a second or two to move your teeth back into position when done.

^ /em smile and the cheer dance also does this...pretty freaky. Also it does a strange thing to your eyes too.

Other than that these emotes are freaking awesome :D

Now I can finally make a rock star toon and have rockstar air guitar duels in ren cen >_> :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I'm not seeing this... /cheer and /cheer02 are more like post-battle yells, and /dance_cheer is waving your hands in the air, if you feel fine. Are you seeing something different than I am?
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Been waiting to buy emotes for two years.

Bard AT is next up right?
  • Options
    z0diiz0dii Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm not even upset that I have to pay money for this. :D
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    z0dii wrote: »
    I'm not even upset that I have to pay money for this. :D

Or farm just over 100k Q and exchange them for zen at current exchange prices are going. :biggrin:

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I AM OKay with this. thanks
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm not seeing this... /cheer and /cheer02 are more like post-battle yells, and /dance_cheer is waving your hands in the air, if you feel fine. Are you seeing something different than I am?

*fiddles*

Nevermind. Problem solved. Editing original post. Sorry.
  • Options
    falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's good to see something I can actually buy instead of gamble for that isn't vehicle related.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    eiledon wrote: »
    I think 475z is a bit steep - the same price as a costume pack. Something more along the lines of the emblem packs at 100z or the Harajuku Twins 200z would be more realistic for people and i think would engender more zen sales to be honest.

I completely agree with this. It's far too expensive for what it is. I won't be getting it.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    infinityspiritsinfinityspirits Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    ...but shake hips isnt the sto Tonic Dance, is it ?

oh pls pls let it be *crossing fingers
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Put stuff in the Z-store that isn't vehicles or mods, and usually I'm down. Sold.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This, right here.

Luv it. Gonna go rock out in the center of ren cen.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    *Throws all the money she has left after the Steam Summer Sale of Doom!!!* :D

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2013
    It's a very nice idea. Thank you for this Z-store addition and more emotes.

I don't think that pricing is really an issue.

Who doesn't use emotes will not buy it anyway.

I have yet to see a single person using any of Z-store emblem packs. They are lowly priced and it doesn't helps.

If it is desirable, people will buy it anyway. If it's not, it will fail even priced for 100 Zen only.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Now we just need it to have when ever you have a guitar on your back, and use the air guitar emote, you are able to pull your instrument off your back and perform. :biggrin:

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What made me lol was this post:

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=940081

I like how it's like you fight through a horde, then finally confront the final boss that is Lord Gar.

Then he rises from his throne, challenges you to a dance-off, then just schools you.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A dollar an emote? That's a bit pricey. I'll definitely buy it for completion sake but 5 emotes for 300 Zen would have been a better price.

Not gonna rant about NWO still getting Air Guitar and many, many, many more for free.
  • Options
    cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As it has been chorused in here... I am all up to buying stuff that is not vehicle related and is not a lockbox... so sure I am sold.

Thanks! =)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • Options
    nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    New emotes are arriving in Champions Online, with the new Dance Emote Pack unlocking five new emotes for 475 ZEN, including the much-anticipated Air Guitar!

Get into Caprice one more time for some chords, because all of these dance-themed emotes are going to make you a juke box hero.

(Direct link in C-Store)

This is a little bit of an experiment for us. If this pack does well, we'll probably end up releasing more in the future. Now that LordGar knows how to make them, it's not excessively difficult. There's a good-sized list of emotes that are unreleased, and there's enough fodder for additional packs... again, assuming that the pack does well.

(Note: There's a pretty hard limit on how much we can do, though, because while using these unreleased emotes isn't too hard, making new emotes definitely is. Just like this one, any possible future emote packs would be made of previously-unreleased emotes.)

(To head off a question players will probably ask, no, we can't use the NW emotes -- they adapted CO emotes into the NW configuration, but there are tech difficulties converting their emotes into CO.)

How about a DEATH animations pack? Would make dying a bit more fun eh?:tongue: (I'm actually serious lol)
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Bought it and love it. I think the cheer dance is my favorite. :D
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'M LIKING THIS! :biggrin:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A dollar an emote? That's a bit pricey. I'll definitely buy it for completion sake but 5 emotes for 300 Zen would have been a better price.
    Agreed. I'd even go as high as tree-fiddy, just so the Loch Ness Monster could get himself a snack. :biggrin: Seriously, I would willingly, out of my own pocket, pay 350 zen for this, tops. 475z = costumes, and this is slightly less customizable than that. Costume pieces can be mixed, matched, recolored, etc. These are... As is, 5 emotes. No possible changes or 'recoloring' or anything. Ergo, less value inherent in them in my humble opinion.

I will probably get them on sale sometime, or at full price by grinding up the Q>Z for it. But 5$ for things that already existed in the game (as TT, in this thread, says they do) and are ONLY BEING UNLOCKED NOW????? That's pretty much the sleaziest "DLC" I've seen in awhile. It's not a lockbox, but it's still morally questionable. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Now I can play a sick riff on my air guitar while somebody's checking out another dude's tire iron.

tumblr_inline_mpdytoy3oM1qz4rgp.gif
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First, I'm glad to see something like this. More emotes is good, and I certainly do not mind paying for a pack of them. I will probably pick up this emote pack and hope to see more in the future.

However, I do think future packs could probably either be larger than just five emotes for the price point. I'm not saying a lot more, maybe one or two more emotes would have been nice for that price point (which is on par with costume packs). Alternatively, give it a lower price point (300-350) for a 5 emote pack in the future.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Dan dan dan danna nana nana dan dannana nanaa nanaa.
    I cannot believe I have to pay for an air guitar!... Lolz man you get em for free with most albums.
    Awesome though and I'm sure those dweebs who play other games will be sick with envy when they see me play the guitar on the MMO.
    Races off to find Dire Straits.
    P.S. I'm sure the rest of the update will be jolly good!
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    underchickenunderchicken Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sometimes I wonder about you Cryptic, I really do.

I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised that you guys would sell us emotes that were made ages ago and kept from us for all this time(for no good reason) at a ridiculously overpriced amount.

I mean, this is the same company that deems it logical to sell an item that increases ONE SINGLE stat by EXACTLY TWO POINTS for $30!!!:mad: I'm looking at you 8-9 Catalyst. I actually recently found out that the Impact Prism Mod's Defense stat boost has a ZERO POINT increase going from rank 8 to 9. So you could potentially spend $30 on.... NOTHING. LoL. Cryptic, you might even be worse than Microsoft when it comes to Money Grubbing.

I know TT is the only one that will read this from Cryptic, so just wanted to add that this is in no way directed at you dood. I know you don't make the prices, but hopefully you can knock a few holes in the heads of the folks that do for us. Would be greatly appreciated.

While I believe these emotes should have prolly been put in FOR FREE long ago, I would still be willing to purchase a pack like this for a more reasonable price. 300Zen is the tag I would put on it.

Now, if you wanted to get a little deeper into making some really awesome emotes. I would pay up to 500Zen for Weapon Based Emotes. What I mean by that is, emotes that use whatever weapon you have selected in the tailor. For Example, Rifle Emote 1= You hold your rifle across your arm held up by your other hand in a casual stance. Like so...
    screenshot_2013-07-18-18-02-34.jpg
    And Rifle Emote 2= you hold your rifle up into the air with one hand. More Badass stance.
    screenshot_2013-07-18-17-59-21.jpg?t=1374185263

In a Weapons Emote Pack, I believe it would be best to use the name of the weapon type in the name of the emote itself to stop confusion between Rifle/Plasma Rifle/SMG. Each would need it's own separate emote in order to register the appropriate weapon skin from the costume editor. I would think anyway.

Would love to see other Weapon Emotes like...

Tossing your Dual Pistols into the air, or twirling them on your fingers.
    Single Blade on guard stance=Sword grasped with both hands in front of you ready to fight.
    Single AND dual blade versions of pirate/fencing like pose=Hold a sword pointed straight out as you look down it's blade toward your opponent.
    Heavy Weapons chill pose=Hold your heavy weapon of choice in one hand resting it on your shoulder.
    Etc.

If you could get something like Weapon Emotes to work then you can has my monies!:biggrin:
  • Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised that you guys would sell us emotes that were made ages ago and kept from us for all this time(for no good reason) at a ridiculously overpriced amount.

I mean, this is the same company that deems it logical to sell an item that increases ONE SINGLE stat by EXACTLY TWO POINTS for $30!!!:mad: I'm looking at you 8-9 Catalyst. I actually recently found out that the Impact Prism Mod's Defense stat boost has a ZERO POINT increase going from rank 8 to 9. So you could potentially spend $30 on.... NOTHING. LoL. Cryptic, you might even be worse than Microsoft when it comes to Money Grubbing.

I know TT is the only one that will read this from Cryptic, so just wanted to add that this is in no way directed at you dood. I know you don't make the prices, but hopefully you can knock a few holes in the heads of the folks that do for us. Would be greatly appreciated.

While I believe these emotes should have prolly been put in FOR FREE long ago, I would still be willing to purchase a pack like this for a more reasonable price. 300Zen is the tag I would put on it.

Now, if you wanted to get a little deeper into making some really awesome emotes. I would pay up to 500Zen for Weapon Based Emotes. What I mean by that is, emotes that use whatever weapon you have selected in the tailor. For Example, Rifle Emote 1= You hold your rifle across your arm held up by your other hand in a casual stance. Like so...
    screenshot_2013-07-18-18-02-34.jpg
    And Rifle Emote 2= you hold your rifle up into the air with one hand. More Badass stance.
    screenshot_2013-07-18-17-59-21.jpg?t=1374185263

In a Weapons Emote Pack, I believe it would be best to use the name of the weapon type in the name of the emote itself to stop confusion between Rifle/Plasma Rifle/SMG. Each would need it's own separate emote in order to register the appropriate weapon skin from the costume editor. I would think anyway.

Would love to see other Weapon Emotes like...

Tossing your Dual Pistols into the air, or twirling them on your fingers.
    Single Blade on guard stance=Sword grasped with both hands in front of you ready to fight.
    Single AND dual blade versions of pirate/fencing like pose=Hold a sword pointed straight out as you look down it's blade toward your opponent.
    Heavy Weapons chill pose=Hold your heavy weapon of choice in one hand resting it on your shoulder.
    Etc.

If you could get something like Weapon Emotes to work then you can has my monies!:biggrin:

How are you doing this in the first place?

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Even by making the animation that your character does after defeating the boss in the new mission (which is the same as the interactive animation) we can get our weapon emotes and such.

I like the trend of buying emote packs (but not at these prices), and I would encourage that being expanded to stances being added to these packs and not for a penny more.

The pack will sell more if the price isn't so high. They are emotes already in the game after all.

But adding an actual guitar version to the air guitar to the list in the pack would make this slightly better.

And if anything, if those standing around emotes were available for free, it would be a (small) start to recovering some people's trust.
  • Options
    nivjinivji Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Instant purchase.
    Hope for Heroes emotes pack !
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I think I've been doing air guitar for about an hour and a half, and just listening to 80's metal.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I think I've been doing air guitar for about an hour and a half, and just listening to 80's metal.

Just IMAGINE how long you would be using the NEW Heavy Weapons Guitar Emote! Same animations as Air Guitar, but it uses whichever Heavy Weapon you have selected for your character(uses base model if you don't actually have a Heavy Weapon power equiped.) This of course goes along with my earlier post.

AND THE EMOTE COMES WITH THIS HEAVY METAL AXE OF AWESOMESAUCE!!!!

co_art-corner_hammers_190811.jpg

LoL, I have wanted That Guitar added to this game more than anything else ever since I first laid eyes on it.:tongue:
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I *may* have been listening to Aqualung, Radar Love, Balllroom Blitz and songs of that era all day. :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I *may* have been listening to Aqualung, Radar Love, Balllroom Blitz and songs of that era all day. :)

And the girl in the corner said Boy, I gotta warn ya, you poor old sod, you see it's only me.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    co_art-corner_hammers_190811.jpg

*Droooool!* I NEED THESE! WHY ARE THEY NOT A THING!!??
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have to agree, the DJ Spin and Cheer dances I have to watch from behind, cause the facial expressions are painful to watch ><

Otherwise it's GREAT to see something that I can spend my Zen on other than more costume slots!
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    I have to agree, the DJ Spin and Cheer dances I have to watch from behind, cause the facial expressions are painful to watch ><

Otherwise it's GREAT to see something that I can spend my Zen on other than more costume slots!

I have solved this issue by wearing a full helmet at all times! :biggrin:
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And the girl in the corner said Boy, I gotta warn ya, you poor old sod, you see it's only me.

You just combined Sweet with Jethro Tull...

I'm in awe...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The emotes were never tested with regular heads. And it shows in a horrifying way.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only problem with this is we're paying for content that allready exists.

This seems like a cash grab.

I'd pay to prompt new emotes.

I think we should get existing ones for free.

I'm leery of paying for this unless it's likely to stimulate the creation of new emotes, as TT has presented this, it seems it will not happen that way.

If so, I'm not buying.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited July 2013

This pretty well sums up my feelings on it.

Now that I think on it, Cryptic did take away something we used ot be able to get for free [craftable costumes and AFs] and find a way to bring it back but with fees, albeit indirectly via lockboxes.

We should have seen this coming

But no, Im kind of shocked and oddly pleased that we got a chance to get these emotes at all

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Bought them because I wanted them and I want less lockbox stuff and more direct-to-Z-Store stuff.

More bang for your buck wouldn't hurt, though.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    Bought them because I wanted them and I want less lockbox stuff and more direct-to-Z-Store stuff.

More bang for your buck wouldn't hurt, though.

I suspect this may be the problem that the weapons pack had, not enough bang for the Z

Given that these emotes exist already, and there's more still available; the quantity of the pack vs the Z is a reasonable complaint.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If this pack does well, we'll probably end up releasing more in the future.
    If it does really well, I hope you look into the currently unavailable but apparently marked as unlock items listed in the post http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3188101&postcount=69. You could likely form several solid mini-costume packs by grouping those parts, the assets apparently exist (on at least some level), and I assume they would be purchased with extreme enthusiasm.