test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ending Subcription

I am planning to drop my subscription to Champions Online. I am not sharing this because I am angry and want everyone to know it before I leave. My main reason for leaving is that I am in college and can't really justify the money and time I spend on the game.

That being said, I do have some disappointment with the game. The biggest disappointment is the unmet potential of the game, and the game has a lot of potential. It has an interesting campaign back story, the playing mechanics works pretty well, and the character creator is fun, but it feels like Champions is an unwanted step-child when it comes to game development. I've been playing one and off for a few years, and except for the occasional holiday event and the addition of a new beginners adventure. Nothing really have been done to improve play. Further, there are mechanics that serve no purpose for which should be eliminated or for which a purpose should be found. The perk system is the primary example, and I have read more complaints by otherwise dedicated players than I can add here.

I am not saying that because I hope Champions Online drops dead without me. I want it to thrive, and if my money and time restraints improve so that I can return, I hope to find the game going strong when/if I return.

In closing, I have mostly enjoyed the game, but the game and the players who play deserve more care and attention than it is currently receiving.

Thank you, all, and I hope to be around again sometime.

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    There is a purpose to Perk System. You gain Titles and Costume Pieces.
    It's automated so you don't even have to bother yourself getting the stuff from any Vendor. Like you had to before.
    What other purpose it should have?

So you probably aren't giving your stuff away?
    normal-36.gif​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Oh, you'll be back. They always come back. One of us... one of us...​​
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    Give me your stuff.​​
    10dsf81.png
  • capspectacularcapspectacular Posts: 12 Arc User
    Flying firm, thanks for letting me know. Serves me right to come to wrong conclusions from reading what is written in general chat.
    edited July 2015
    Dude. Chat is littered with people whose sole purpose in life is to present misinformation. Some are just trolling, like the ones who tell you to refresh your screen to activate some new mystery power by pressing Alt-F4; some are bittervets, who want to hate something about the game and will occasionally make stuff up to hate; and some are just exaggerating this game's flaws (of which, in honesty, there are quite a few) in order to talk up their favorite alternative vaporware, like City of Titans. If anyone tells you that something in this game is "useless", check with the Forums. If it has a use, I guarantee you someone out here will know, and will tell you. (And of course some will claim everything in CO is "useless", because they're in group 2 or 3 above.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    This is the prime reason why I went lifetime (when I could afford to). So I can play the game just in case that happens to me (And still find myself paying roughly at least twice the sub fee montly in zen purchases-go figure) :D .
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    gtw891 wrote: »
    This is the prime reason why I went lifetime (when I could afford to). So I can play the game just in case that happens to me (And still find myself paying roughly at least twice the sub fee montly in zen purchases-go figure) :D .

Lifetime was definitely the way to go. I've played the game more than enough to pay off in spades, plus I also go a long breaks. But I always come crawling back, mostly when some cool new costume or power is added.
  • klavosklavos Posts: 19 Arc User
    dialamx wrote: »

Lifetime was definitely the way to go. I've played the game more than enough to pay off in spades, plus I also go a long breaks. But I always come crawling back, mostly when some cool new costume or power is added.

I kinda feel the same. I haven't gone LTS but I've been considering it for a while now. It's just that I've used the subscription for all these years that I don't know if it's even worth paying that Liftime fee now. What do you think? I just don't know if I should or not.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    klavos wrote: »
    dialamx wrote: »

I kinda feel the same. I haven't gone LTS but I've been considering it for a while now. It's just that I've used the subscription for all these years that I don't know if it's even worth paying that Liftime fee now. What do you think? I just don't know if I should or not.

Your mileage will vary and of course each person will always feel different.

In the current game client, with scarcity and no solid intel on what is coming, my answer would be a solid no, lifetime probably would not be worth it. I got my lifetime back before the game launched and back then things were promising. But, these days with Champions having repeatedly been thrown under the bus in favor of the other two titles, and many promised updates and ideas that were scheduled for Champions being quietly cancelled and instead implemented into the other two titles, I would have never actually gone lifetime now in this climate. I would have probably wanted my money back if it were possible.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    I am planning to drop my subscription to Champions Online. I am not sharing this because I am angry and want everyone to know it before I leave. My main reason for leaving is that I am in college and can't really justify the money and time I spend on the game.

Well, anything after this would make this part seem disingenuous, so I'll stop reading here.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    Ok, see you next update? I'll keep the pool heated.
    tumblr_nsgnohg3HY1r8z1loo1_1280.jpg
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Winter is coming. How you float then?
    normal-32.gif​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User

Admit it, when that floaty costume piece was first shown, we all thought of Brou.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    Doing my once or twice a year 'poke my head in and see if anything's changed', what mystifies me about some of the posts is... really? NOW things have gone too far? NOW the game seems inactive and not living up to its potential??

Some people are slow to process, I guess.

(Hi, bye, see you in another 3-6 months)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User

Admit it, when that floaty costume piece was first shown, we all thought of Brou.

It's certainly true for me
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User

Yeah. Been dreading the wet dog smell ever since.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • cynicoolcynicool Posts: 160 Arc User
    zahinder wrote: »
    Doing my once or twice a year 'poke my head in and see if anything's changed', what mystifies me about some of the posts is... really? NOW things have gone too far? NOW the game seems inactive and not living up to its potential??

Some people are slow to process, I guess.

(Hi, bye, see you in another 3-6 months)

Cool Story, Bro.
    10dsf81.png

Yeah. Been dreading the wet dog smell ever since.
    Can't you just shut down your olfactory sensors, though? (There are benefits to being an android...)