test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bug Fix Please: Collection Officers not giving stars as intended

tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Suggestions Box
Hi, this is a bug that has been around, and forgot about, but really frustrates new players.

The bug: the Collections Officers sells stars as a vendor, but instead of replenishing the stars in the character's portrait, it deposits an unusable star device in your inventory. New players in particular feel scammed, bad 1st impression, loss of confidence in CO.

The solution: can be 2 ways. Either a.) remove the faulty Collections Officer or b.) delete the NPC.

INB4 it's a donation. I hear ya, but new players feel like it's robbery instead, charlatanism.
Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The collection agent stars have been broken since those NPCs were introduced - they certainly need to be fixed.

The ones from the charity worker near the tailors still work, although sometimes you have to stand right next to her to use them (random glitch); I presume that this tactic doesnt work for collection agent stars?
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The game would be better off removing the stars from purchase from those NPCs.
    It makes a terrible impression on new players.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The game would be better off removing the stars from purchase from those NPCs.
    It makes a terrible impression on new players.

Agreed. Ever since I started playing CO going over 2 years now I never knew about the stars until months later after joining. Whether I have no stars or all 5, never saw such a performance boost/loss that I ignored them completely.

New players who do join and I have seen this plenty of times in alerts when a team keeps getting wiped some argue how they keep losing stars and rage quit the team.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, new players think stars actually matter a lot.
    They don't matter much at all, except at the lowest levels with green gera.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well, it's a detectable buff even with high end gear, it's just that the game is easy enough that you can sacrifice quite a few bonuses and still do okay.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Charity NPCs appear to have some sort of AOE aura that applies stars to your character.

If you buy stars from the officer and run within a 20ft radius of the Homeless Shelter Volunteer, your stars will be consumed and applied to your character. Try it for yourself.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I tried Brou's workaround and it works. Thanks for that, Brou.

Unfortunately, the problem remains, which is that new players get confused and frustrated by the perceived rip-off and that experience bleeds into the rest of their CO experience. It leads to a lack of confidence in the game.

At least if I see a new player finding this bug, I can advise them on Brou's workaround. However, there's no way I can advise on every single case, so devs, please take note. You're doing admirable work fixing issues to drum up new players, don't let that effort go to waste with bugs like this, especially since those NPCs are so redundant.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com