Are we ever going to get an expansion?

cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
Or some new powers? How about water?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If your 'expansion' consists of about 4-5 missions that can be completed in under 2 hours, Maybe.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    supersharkssupersharks Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Probably not.

They basically messed up this games launch (Gotta steer wide and correct the course over time! *eyeroll* you only get one launch you doofus), then moved devs off to work on STO / NW then all but abandoned it when it failed to hit the profits they wanted (apparently failing to realize they caused the flop of this game with their shoddy business practices).

Its a shame because this game, engine aside, probably had the most potential out of all their titles.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    we got some new powers during the last year.
    laser swords min set, telepathy- nickle and dime.. sorry DoT set.

then theirs the other 3
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I genuinely don't understand what people expect from "water" powers that isn't just some elemental form of Force.
    edited December 2014
    Crush used to be working on new powers before he was promoted to Neverwinter. Unfortinoutly he never got around to the plant powers (which are now the some of the warlocks powers in NeverWinter pretty much) also he never got around to the cooldown fix he wanted to do which caused total unbalance in the game AD and AO wise.
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Crush used to be working on new powers before he was promoted to Neverwinter

I feel like that was intended as insulting to CO. :v
    edited December 2014
    I genuinely don't understand what people expect from "water" powers that isn't just some elemental form of Force.

And before we see another blast type set I think it would be better to have other sets that fit the genre.......Superstretching, Shield, Staff/Pole-arm or Speedster Set anyone?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd love to see a power set that was focused around doing dimensional damage. Ripping holes in space, shoving your opponents into unstable spatial vortexes. That sounds like a good super power to me. :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Crush used to be working on new powers before he was promoted to Neverwinter. Unfortinoutly he never got around to the plant powers (which are now the some of the warlocks powers in NeverWinter pretty much) also he never got around to the cooldown fix he wanted to do which caused total unbalance in the game AD and AO wise.

This. However, I do believe that we will get another mini-set. In the future sure, but maybe soon. (Not SoonTM soon but soon).

I imagine that the team working on CO may WANT to expand Champions Online and its not like there's a lack of source material, its simply are there enough resources and can we realistically dedicate that much developer time to producing *something* for the players? Not so much do we feel like it.

With the way Steel Crusade opened up a new hub and Whiteout's ending from all that time ago was left open, Dr Destroyer (real one) returned in Resistance and escaped etc. From in game stuff alone there's quite a few avenues to go down content wise, but this all takes time.

Crush was working on a number of things and had some very interesting plans...which I hope are with CN right now (seems unlikely but you never know).

Based on what TT said a few days ago...I think things like Steel Crusade will be the direction they take when it comes to expanding in game content. We may not be slapped with three new zones and full powersets right now, and although that's disheartening, there simply isn't (at this point in time) the dev power behind making that happen.

I think even with CN (who work on multiple games) we have a small dev team in comparison to other games and what they've produced so far has been quite enjoyable so I think its unlikely NOTHING will happen but I'd be surprised if we did get new zones randomly instead of small expansions in the form of repeatable missions.

I think they should probably expand CO by opening up more instances (Multifaria, Harmon Labs, Qliphoth etc) but that may come in time.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Stretching would require a total revamp of the engine, due to how it depicts the "skeleton", the basic form that your character image is draped over. Tumer explained it in detail a few times, as that sort of thing was in his area of expertise. It's the same reason your toon can't have four arms, even though a couple of NPCs do.

Staff would be nice, and in fact I expect something to come along at some point since the UNTIL space station is intended as a new mission hub, which logically means we should be involving the Star*Guardians at some point - and they use staffs to wield their powers. Shields, however - what "shield" powers can you think of that aren't jut a Captain America ripoff? Same for "Speedster" - we've got Superspeed (two forms), Blazing Speed, and One Hundred Hands, what other powers that use speed can you think of that aren't going to make people point and scream "FLASH!!" at you?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Someone made a post with a bunch of shield powers. Off-hand I can say shield bash and a shield rush (lunge). The D3 Crusader has a few shield powers including a combo that throws in some bashes with some stabbin'. PoE just added in some counter attacks based on blocking which could act as a parry skill but with random shield bashes instead of kicks.

For speedster, we clearly need Chun-Li's lightning kick to go with Honda's hundred hand slap. ... I don't read comics so I have no idea what kind of stuff speedsters do.

If you haven't noticed, many powers in CO were pilfered from other sources.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    sterga wrote: »

For speedster, we clearly need Chun-Li's lightning kick to go with Honda's hundred hand slap. ... I don't read comics so I have no idea what kind of stuff speedsters do.

If you haven't noticed, many powers in CO were pilfered from other sources.

From what I've seen in movies, they mainly slam into their enemies, pummel them with lightning fast hits or run around them creating a wind tunnel. They basically disorient and slap you about really fast.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Staff would be nice
    As long as you're content with wielding a staff in one hand, you might see an acceptable Staff powerset.

Same issue as with Heavy Weapons, back when it was being introduced they explained why they can't make decent looking animations for a 2-handed melee weapon set. At least not one that would work well with the range of body types (girth and arms were the main issues iirc) available.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'd love to see a power set that was focused around doing dimensional damage. Ripping holes in space, shoving your opponents into unstable spatial vortexes. That sounds like a good super power to me. :D

I agree a dimensional rift type mini set would be nice..but we have Ebon Rift to be fair and Planar Fracture. (Sure it could do with a rework but so could most of the "ultimate" powers)
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    pretty sure in the gallery of wasted potential thread there were links to staff animations already within the game files - most of which would work to introduce perhaps a mini set of powers.

And they did let slip the Scarlet Shield tights last year (which promptly disappeared) - Scarlet Shield was a shield wielding ex-football player, didnt throw his shield. used it for blocks, deflects and slamming into people I would think. That in itself would perhaps introduce an interesting game mechanic - deflecting attacks back on the originator, or causing them to ricochet onto their own minions
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    what "shield" powers can you think of that aren't jut a Captain America ripoff? Same for "Speedster" - we've got Superspeed (two forms), Blazing Speed, and One Hundred Hands, what other powers that use speed can you think of that aren't going to make people point and scream "FLASH!!" at you?

I'd be quite happy with Captain America shield powers and Flash speedster powers and couldn't care less if folks wanted to claim that the devs somehow ripped off those characters in some way. There are enough speedsters and shield using superheroes to warrant the sets imo.

We get folks calling rip-off whenever an archetype is brought out anyway....Devastator (Thor) and Invincible (Iron Man...come on he was even described as "The Invincible Iron Man" in the comic-books), to name but two. It doesn't bother me.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Short answer: No.

This game just doesn't have the devs or the resources to do one. You're only going to be seeing small additions of story arcs here and there like the Mechanon content.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd be quite happy with Captain America shield powers and Flash speedster powers and couldn't care less if folks wanted to claim that the devs somehow ripped off those characters in some way. There are enough speedsters and shield using superheroes to warrant the sets imo.

We get folks calling rip-off whenever an archetype is brought out anyway....Devastator (Thor) and Invincible (Iron Man...come on he was even described as "The Invincible Iron Man" in the comic-books), to name but two. It doesn't bother me.
    Another option to look at for superspeed ideas is Kabal. Kabal has ridiculously fast movement speed but he doesn't rely on unarmed combat to win. He uses a variety of high speed weapon strikes and a few other things that the Flash and Quicksilver don't.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    cbob312 wrote: »
    Are we ever going to get an expansion?

Yes, we get them all the time. Oh did you mean WoW-sized expansions? 12 guys with minimal funding cannot provide you the same amount of content that hundreds of people with millions of dollars can.

Or some new powers?

Yes, we just got some recently.

How about water?

They've said it would be difficult, given the game engine, to make water powers that really feel watery.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'd personally like to see plant powers, considering all of the plant costume pieces we have.
  • Options
    sarovensaroven Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The expansion I want to see is adding villain play and letting us play as such.
  • Options
    rykus83rykus83 Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd like to see a sonic powerset or maybe some single gun attacks for munitions for those who don't wannna dual weild pistols and a rile EB for munitions be cool to
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'd personally like to see plant powers, considering all of the plant costume pieces we have.

Right away I can think of a plant power... no idea what it would be called, but it'd use the leaf aura thingy and it'd be a debuff of some sort... makes enemies have a chance to miss cause of all the leaves falling around them o3o

And of course vines... both vines that wrap around the target.... and basically the chain powers but with a vine visual u3u

and FLOWER BOMBS! >:D

(there was a fighting game reference I was making with that but I could not find a pic to go with it :| )
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014

also Plasma Beam is in the Warlock set, they just coloured it black.

and he has made a name for himself on the forums due to power balancing attempts. Biggest troll
    It's Fall- debuff - a tree sheds it's entire load of leaves on you, causing a major loss of sight, as you are covered in leaves , bugs and dirt.

Jeepers creepers- entangle
    adv- strangulation
    - thorns- bleed damage
    - Posion Ivy - itch- similar to the flailing form fire snake except scratching.

You don't want to see the water ones I wrote up when I got bored at work. But I had to try and split them into salt water and fresh water.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    yvonnedyvonned Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Water Powers:
    Honestly there are a number of things that could be done with this - shaping water into a number of different melee/thrown weapons alone would simply be a matter of changing the skin on a few of the other powers already available. Then there's things like fog (taken from Gas Granade), Shield (taken from pretty much any shield in the game), Storm (similar to thunder strike but make it a deluge of water rather than lightning), and something like Flash Flood (similar to quicksand from the earth set). It would need a few new powers to help players really want it though. First thought is the sudden rush/wave of water that looked like a stampede of horses from LotR: Fellowship. Just have it come out of nowhere and run over your target.

Single weapon Munitions:
    I could see that as a simple addition of advantages: single weapon. Honestly, they could even be 0 cost advantages seeing that they would only change the animation and not the damage dealt - like the advantage for Ego Frenzy that give you two swords to use rather than one (can't remember the name of the advantage)

Plant Powers:
    This could easily be a set all it's own, even unlike water. A few different ideas have already been mentioned that would make for a good start. To add to it, don't forget things like thorns and poisons. That combo alone could be a subset of Plants alone with different delivery systems (melee/thrown thorns, various types of poisons). Then there's the sheer strength plants are presented with in movies (like when the vines fold the cop car in half in Jumanji). You shoot out a plant vine to grab your target and do any number of things: knockback, pin, punch, throw up in the air, etc. Could even have a unique power that would increase your knock back resistance a ton -- Rooted (plants grow out of your feet/legs and drive into the ground). Granted, you prolly couldn't move while the power is in effect, but for a tank, that would be a small thing.

Rifts/Dimensional:
    i could have sworn some of the powers in the game already do Dimensional damage. However, having a set dedicated to this would be pretty cool. Let's take it a step further too - there should be a Dimensional transport power.. oh, wait, there is: Teleport. Well, why can't there be teleport powers for objects to throw at your target. You know what I mean: you grab a safe from somewhere (it appears out of a hole in the air) and hurl it at your target. Granted, this is similar to Telekinesis and a couple of other things, but then, adjusting the graphics is all that's really needed. You could do more with rips in the fabric of time/space: calling up monsters or pets, calling down aliens to fight for you, bringing in blasts of energy from massive spaceships way to big to be in the game (that Qularr mothership would look like a scout by comparison kind of size) Things like that.

Expansion content:
    Now the original point of this thread was the question about new content (as well as powers, I know). I agree, there are many opportunities for expansion already in the existing game play. I also agree with the idea of opening up new instances of places that should already exist as lairs or such. What about new Villains? it would be possible.

As for new zones, I can only hope so. I would love to see further expansions running with Mechanon (sp). He has this HUGE body in space -- a space station. And UNTIL can't be the only group interested in it. VIPER has their fangs into everything. ARGENT loves the idea of owning property: why not a space station too? So on and so forth. It wouldn't even require a lot on the part of the Devs IMO. Make up the general map for the entire station. Start off with only one zone and the missions it would carry. Then, as new zone maps and missions are finished, release them as promotions to help the game out. For that matter, there could even be missions that take players to the moon. Why not? We have hideouts on the moon. Obviously we have the tech to get back and forth...
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This game failed the minute PWE let Cryptic do what they want with CO, which was no bother with it.

Count how many new zones NWO gets added between the years it takes for a mission to get added here. They get a dozen hours of more game play every 6-8 months while we get minutes in year long waits.

Expect lockboxes and costume sets until they make enough 6 digit figures to give us another few minutes of gameplay.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    This game failed the minute PWE let Cryptic do what they want with CO, which was no bother with it.

Count how many new zones NWO gets added between the years it takes for a mission to get added here. They get a dozen hours of more game play every 6-8 months while we get minutes in years.

That's all already been explained... Dungeons and Dragons, Star Trek... of course these things are going to get more resources and attention. Anyone with a brain who knows what business is would do the same thing. The business world is not a place for soft headed people with big hearts.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    That's all already been explained... Dungeons and Dragons, Star Trek... of course these things are going to get more resources and attention. Anyone with a brain who knows what business is would do the same thing. The business world is not a place for soft headed people with big hearts.

Anyone who has a brain and sees the numbers and watches the activity knows that is a poor excuse. IP name doesn't mean **** when it comes to this.

New IPs make it huge when implemented well. Every time someone uses big IP as an excuse over why it gets favored over another project I point them to LoL and laugh in their stupid face.
    That's all already been explained...

Yes it has. Cryptic just doesn't want to reinvest into CO because they just don't want to work on it anymore.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Count how many new zones NWO gets added between the years it takes for a mission to get added here. They get a dozen hours of more game play every 6-8 months while we get minutes in years.
    Effort goes where the money is.

And I have absolutely no doubt that Neverwinter recieves far more money from players than CO does.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Effort goes where the money is.

And I have absolutely no doubt that Neverwinter recieves far more money from players than CO does.

That's because NWO actually gets content added. If CO had the kind of development that NWO was getting it would do just as well if not better.

When you stop development altogether despite how profitable it is, like what happened to CO, the profits die out. CO is where it is because they simply stopped regular output.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Anyone who has a brain and sees the numbers and watches the activity knows that is a poor excuse. IP name doesn't mean **** when it comes to this.

New IPs make it huge when implemented well. Every time someone uses big IP as an excuse over why it gets favored over another project I point them to LoL and laugh in their stupid face.

Yes. New IPs do. Old ones with bad reputations and dated, inflexible engines on the other hand... do not.

And actually, IP name means a lot. When just the name of your product is guaranteed to bring in thousands-or-more of potential customers, and many of them will keep playing even if your product is average at best just because of that name... that turns pupils into dollar signs.

Yes, we all think this game deserves better because we love it.... but put that love away for a second and look at it from the perspective of cold hard business.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yes, we all think this game deserves better because we love it.... but put that love away for a second and look at it from the perspective of cold hard business.

Now I wouldn't wish this game on my enemies. When the company pulls out because of personal opinion I know that's when I would bail out too.

But every time someone says its because this game is just doing poor, I point out that its because Cryptic did it on purpose. This game deserves better than Cryptic the second they gave up. They gave up even when F2P and even key sales multiplied profits substantially enough to make many more expansions.

When the game went F2P and announced major profits they stopped making expansions. When keys were found out the most profitable thing they stopped content development almost altogether. Why is that?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    When the game went F2P and announced major profits they stopped making expansions. When keys were found out the most profitable thing they stopped content development almost altogether. Why is that?

Because expansions didn't make them any money, and lockboxes did. Cold hard business. People gotta eat.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You don't think IP means anything, Bux? Trot on over to the STO forums and count the number of people who say they're tired of everything the game does, and they're only still playing it because of the Star Trek name.

Go ahead, we'll wait. It's going to take you a while...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    sarovensaroven Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You don't think IP means anything, Bux? Trot on over to the STO forums and count the number of people who say they're tired of everything the game does, and they're only still playing it because of the Star Trek name.

I agree with this. I am a lifetime sub to STO and it is simply due to the IP.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014

pee_hose.jpg?w=300&h=224
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    and FLOWER BOMBS! >:D

(there was a fighting game reference I was making with that but I could not find a pic to go with it :| )

Ummm.... yeah, I don't know. RPGs were always my specialty. The only fighting games I ever played were Samurai Shodown and Mortal Kombat.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Because expansions didn't make them any money, and lockboxes did. Cold hard business. People gotta eat.

Expansions didn't make them money directly. Its not supposed to. But it is supposed to bring people into the game who will spend money on the cash shop. That's how adding content works. Incentive to buy anything from the store.

That's the result of people investing too much into the game to quit it. The IP brought them in but a good game or a money sink lets you stay. CO had this. But Cryptic stopped developing at the high level CO was earning them.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Expansions didn't make them money directly. Its not supposed to. But it is supposed to bring people into the game who will spend money on the cash shop. That's how adding content works. Incentive to buy anything from the store.

It's supposed to do that, but it clearly didn't. When supposed to fails, you go for does.

That's the result of people investing too much into the game to quit it. The IP brought them in but a good game or a money sink lets you stay.

Except for all the people who keep playing purely because of the IP.

I don't know how you can debate this.... the mega-giant of the mmo industry is proof that this effect exists because its mega-giant status came about in large part because of this effect. It even goes beyond video games: Branding is a thing that exists.

Take the exact same MMO and make two versions. One called "Robot Cars Online" and the other called "Transformers Online". Guess which one is going to instantly be more successful, despite both being the exact same game? You think anyone just got hype about "Robot Cars Online"?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Take the exact same MMO and make two versions. One called "Robot Cars Online" and the other called "Transformers Online". Guess which one is going to instantly be more successful, despite both being the exact same game? You think anyone just got hype about "Robot Cars Online"?

I heard that "Transformers Online" got plug pulled off it.
    So, now that "Robot Cars Online" has chance to make #1 of the genre.
    transformers-yugo-o.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I heard that "Transformers Online" got plug pulled off it.
    So, now that "Robot Cars Online" has chance to make #1 of the genre.
    transformers-yugo-o.gif

Yes, in Fake World.

I go to that world everytime I get super boozy at 3am.... when I wake up I'm disappointed that all those dreams I had where CO had amazing content expansions with crazy combat scenarios* wasn't real ( ._.)

* - this is not fake.. for some reason the booze makes me have glorious video game dreams...
  • Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A new year, a new doom thread...

We're finally getting new stuff, but the game is still on probation, you'll have to be patient and hope we get scratched off from the D-list.

However... it better be next year, because chances are Valiance will become a thing after all. While Valiance's gameplay is a boring throwback to 2003 and it's being made on an outdated game engine, it has content, no silver-age silliness, and CO has a considerable portion of resentful players looking for an excuse to jump ship. Also, while I seriously doubt Valiance will include the mission editor in year zero, the editor is in their plans.

I won't ask any information regarding Cryptic North's plans given Cryptic's culture of actually being cryptic, but I really hope next year Cryptic North finally brings the A-game to the table (and you all know what I'm talking about) because, if you ask me, 2015 is going to be the year CO either rises or falls.
  • Options
    hemslordhemslord Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I would like to have seen more support based powers or perhaps a tweak made to holds to make them have some form of use when fighting a boss.

I'm sure people are tired of hearing this but I much preferred how City of Heroes did holds as it meant that after you attempted enough holds on the boss, one would finally be able to hold them even it was brief. As it is my CC Support build may as well sit out of the fight once the boss is engaged apart from doing the occasional hold to proc the Sentinel Mastery.

Also, I would like to see other kinds of support. Rather than just seeing people using heals I would like to have see some buffs other than just auras. Some way of channelling energy to another player to increase their damage as a maintain support power for example. Or maybe a melee based debuff set that hits the targets key nerves to reduce their damage or increases damage dealt etc.

Alas these are just some ideas I would like to see in the game and as the Devs have proven to me time and time again, they really aren't interested.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Call me stupid but didnt we just get an expansion we got a moon base hub thingy >_>
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If some other supers mmo succeeds, it will be a serious issue for Champs.
    On the other hand... DCUO didn't destroy CO. And remember the Marvel "mmo"?
    Champs survived that, too.

Valiance will have to be quite good. And if character customization isn't great, forget it.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    On the other hand... DCUO didn't destroy CO. And remember the Marvel "mmo"?
    Champs survived that, too.

Well, there was no way Marvel Heroes was going to threaten CO. "Come play Diablo with our pre-made characters!" is the polar opposite of CO.

DCUO might have looked like a threat when it was still in development, but once the details came out, it fell away. The Cryptic Superhero model thrives on player agency. DCUO did everything it could, whether in questing, power selection, or costumes, to limit player agency in the name of keeping players subordinate to the holy trinity of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

Valiance may not have the technology, and City of Titans doesn't have much in the way of manpower, but they both know what CoH's value proposition was, and they have no faith in Cryptic to deliver that same value in CO.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    foxyperson wrote: »
    However... it better be next year, because chances are Valiance will become a thing after all. While Valiance's gameplay is a boring throwback to 2003 and it's being made on an outdated game engine, it has content, no silver-age silliness, and CO has a considerable portion of resentful players looking for an excuse to jump ship. Also, while I seriously doubt Valiance will include the mission editor in year zero, the editor is in their plans.

Gameplay being boring sounds like a fantastic reason to avoid Valiance. That's half the game being crap. It's cute that all of these people are trying to revive the corpse that is City of Heroes, but it'd be super if they stopped and just tried to make a good game.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009