What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Name The Bar!

Comments

• Options
    seasteedseasteed Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've seen several interesting ideas here, but most of them fall into the bad pun or allegorical standpoint. I think if we have a bar in space, we need something simple, but to the point. What about simply calling it "Floaters"?
  • Options
    dagconfaraday#1221 dagconfaraday Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    QWERTY (cause its a Space Bar)
    Lister's (Red Dwarf)
    The Ivory Stag (The White Hart, Arthur C. Clarke)
    Slim Pickens (Dr. Strangelove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snTaSJk0n_Y)

For that last one, I'd be neat to see a missile set up with a saddle like a mechanical bull in this place.

Could also call it Poz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2sh6LuEbQ

The guy who formally posted as @Sky_Commander. Now posts as: "劫"
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    seasteed wrote: »
    I've seen several interesting ideas here, but most of them fall into the bad pun or allegorical standpoint. I think if we have a bar in space, we need something simple, but to the point. What about simply calling it "Floaters"?

I think a bar needs to have a more pointed name than that. Floaters sounds like a chain restaurant, like Bennigan's or Applebee's. (Although that does give me an idea for wearing our perks as pieces of flair.)
    For that last one, I'd be neat to see a missile set up with a saddle like a mechanical bull in this place.

LordGar, stop all development on Neverwinter if you have to, just make this happen!
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Vanguard Bar & Grill (First US orbital attempt and Vanguard has dual meaning)

Magic Dragon Orbit Lounge (after the 1963 song AND the namesake of the first commercially-built and operated spacecraft to be recovered successfully from orbit...Dragon by SpaceX, you'll see a lot more about it in the future with NASA launches)
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • Options
    dontaskdontask Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Lift
    Lister's (second that suggestion)
    The Warp
    Moonshine (seconding this suggestion as well)
    Skyfall
    The Monolith
    Stone's Throw (because relatively speaking the Moon isn't THAT far from Earth)
    Pale Blue
    and of course- the Airlock
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Mercury Bar - the hottest place orbitting Earth.

But more than that in honor of Project Mercury, NASA's first astronauts. On Feb. 20, 1962, an Atlas rocket successfully carried Sen. John Glenn and the hopes of an entire nation into orbit aboard Friendship 7, a flight that ushered in a new era of space travel that eventually led to Americans walking on the moon by the end of the 1960s. Glenn was soon followed into orbit by colleagues Scott Carpenter, Walter Schirra and Gordon Cooper. Their fellow Mercury astronauts Alan Shepard and Virgil "Gus" Grissom flew earlier suborbital flights. Deke Slayton was grounded by a medical condition until the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1975.

And back in August, the NASA's MESSENGER satellite celebrated 10 years orbitting Mercury.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dontask2 wrote: »
    Stone's Throw (because relatively speaking the Moon isn't THAT far from Earth)
    Well, once you're in orbit, anywhere is a stone's throw away. It might take a few millennia for the stone to get there, of course...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    The Mercury Bar - the hottest place orbitting Earth.

But more than that in honor of Project Mercury, NASA's first astronauts. On Feb. 20, 1962, an Atlas rocket successfully carried Sen. John Glenn and the hopes of an entire nation into orbit aboard Friendship 7, a flight that ushered in a new era of space travel that eventually led to Americans walking on the moon by the end of the 1960s. Glenn was soon followed into orbit by colleagues Scott Carpenter, Walter Schirra and Gordon Cooper. Their fellow Mercury astronauts Alan Shepard and Virgil "Gus" Grissom flew earlier suborbital flights. Deke Slayton was grounded by a medical condition until the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project in 1975.

And back in August, the NASA's MESSENGER satellite celebrated 10 years orbitting Mercury.

SOLD. I love this.
  • Options
    toooldforthistoooldforthis Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Last Chance Rendevous.

Appropriate on many, many levels.
  • Options
    chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Milliways.
  • Options
    bazodeebazodee Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And since all everyone is doing is just standing there looking out the window, I'll leave behind

The LookOut
    I don't like Sigs, but I'll leave this here anyway. At least I'm not to trying to hypnotise you with moving things!
  • Options
    mithriltemplarmithriltemplar Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hello!

I am thinking Astro Pub, which is a lot like Gastro Pub

Astro Naught Bar

Club Nebula

Bar Bar Away (A play on Far Far Away)

Thanks!

@Autlawz
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nine point eight gravities?? Most of the toons, even with superhuman strength, won't be able to walk under that, much less dance.

(Recall that 1g is Earth-normal gravity; if Jupiter had a surface, it would be somewhere around 4g.)
    IIIRC the Saiyan homeworld was a ~10g planet. *looks it up* Yup. :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    snytchell#0535 snytchell Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How about something like: Galathea's Cafe

Like it sounds almost similar to Sherreras Bar
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Milliways.

co-signing this one. Brilliant.
  • Options
    cutegirl86cutegirl86 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hall of Valhalla

Celestial's Rest

Constellation Station

Nectar of the Gods
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC](Picture by BaneofTerrents of my character Vixen Val)
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Before we go giving it a name, can we actually make it so it doesn't become the new alternate duel pit for RPVP manchildren and keep the furniture from being smashed every five seconds by some obnoxious troll?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Before we go giving it a name, can we actually make it so it doesn't become the new alternate duel pit for RPVP manchildren and keep the furniture from being smashed every five seconds by some obnoxious troll?

already made those suggestions in the latest pvp thread ;D
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nine point eight gravities?? Most of the toons, even with superhuman strength, won't be able to walk under that, much less dance.

(Recall that 1g is Earth-normal gravity; if Jupiter had a surface, it would be somewhere around 4g.)

Yeah, I recalled that, too, but my HS science classes was more than 30 years ago and I think I might have managed a C+ at the time. That is why I asked Mister Google. He's the guy who gave me that number :redface:

Mister Wiki was probably a little more precise - 9.80665 m/s2 - and that's probably a percent of an actual single G in the same way a centimeter is a smaller part of a meter. If not, I blame New Math. I blame New Math on lots of things.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    tcroleplayertcroleplayer Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Originally I thought it was to name the station and thought of 'Infinity Station'

Of course you could simply call the bar 'Infinity' as people will probably just use one word to nickname it.

Why 'Infinity' ?

(Apart from the view of course)

Brace yourself for the corny joke - "To Infinity, and Beyond !"

(Sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin: )
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    seasteed wrote: »

Well, trailturtle's initial post implies it's unlikely the establishment will have an "official" name -- it sounds like Cryptic's looking for more of a nickname, something the regulars might call it that caught on. I figure puns or allegories would be a natural outgrowth of that process.

Just as one example, Toronto's major-league basketball and hockey teams play out of the Air Canada Center, named for its major sponsor, Canada's state airline. But many locals refer to it as, "The Hangar."
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Space Cowboy.
  • Options
    carbonifercarbonifer Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Progression Bar
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, I recalled that, too, but my HS science classes was more than 30 years ago and I think I might have managed a C+ at the time. That is why I asked Mister Google. He's the guy who gave me that number :redface:

Mister Wiki was probably a little more precise - 9.80665 m/s2 - and that's probably a percent of an actual single G in the same way a centimeter is a smaller part of a meter. If not, I blame New Math. I blame New Math on lots of things.
    that's the acceleration(in meters per second squared) of an object in freefall..... at 1 G.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The White Dwarf... because it's tiny.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Nail (if the bartender is called Rusty)
    The Cape (refers to Cape Canaveral and similarly named space-related places, while still referring to this as a superhero game)
    The Isoperimetric Quotient (because I seem to be the only person that knows what they are and I would find it amusing to see people go "what the heck does that mean" when they see the bar's name)
    Beacon (I heard there's a Qulaar on the dance floor with some CRAZY dance moves! I heard there's...)
    Asterix (space bar is on a keyboard. So is an asterix. Asterixes are a common simplified drawing for star shapes. Space has stars)
    Refueling Station Alpha (disguise it as a proper official looking refueling observation thing, have it secretly be a bar to anyone who walks in)
    Spaced Out
    The Impetuous Boy
    Ah-aaaaaah! Saviour of every one of us!
    The Odds (throw in some gambling tables. And never tell me about the Odds)
    Punch it!
    The Trap
    The Joystick (refers to gaming and piloting!)
    Dion's Oasis (a pun on Dionysis the Greek god of wine, being good to each other, and partying on dudes)
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I ain't taking anything other than The Space Bar.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Archimedes Fulcrum
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2014
    bulgarex wrote: »
    Well, trailturtle's initial post implies it's unlikely the establishment will have an "official" name -- it sounds like Cryptic's looking for more of a nickname, something the regulars might call it that caught on. I figure puns or allegories would be a natural outgrowth of that process.

Just as one example, Toronto's major-league basketball and hockey teams play out of the Air Canada Center, named for its major sponsor, Canada's state airline. But many locals refer to it as, "The Hangar."

Exactly that. :biggrin:
  • Options
    kirsroskirsros Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Spacebar (Been said, but it's a good pun)

"Work" ("Honey, are you gonna make it home on time?" "Sorry, I'm at work.")

Halley's (In reference to Halley's Comet)
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Mick's

extra characters

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    lacudralacudra Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I love the history behind the champions community how it gives head nods to other ip's by spoofing or having a tribute. So why not have a tribute too one of the greatest spoof movies of all time by calling it, "The Lone Starr bar and grill." Or "Check please." both obviously being references to space balls.
  • Options
    gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    By that logic, Drink devices better be called "Bleeps" "Creeps" and "Sweeps"
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    numaman1990numaman1990 Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Rust Bucket
  • Options
    mighty738mighty738 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Rusty's Joint

Gateway Bar

Horizon

Clockwork Tower

http://materdoreindustries.webs.com/ Materdore Industries.. For a safer tomorrow.

@-The-Mighty-One
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Bar Mistletoe.

In Japan we call mistletoe "Yadorigi", which means "the place to take a rest".
  • Options
    gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    monaahiru wrote: »
    Bar Mistletoe.

In Japan we call mistletoe "Yadorigi", which means "the place to take a rest".

...I wonder if GATEWAY would consider a Maid Cafe add-on..
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Rusty's Place
    The Black Hole in the Wall
    Star Saloon
    The Bar at the end of the Universe
  • Options
    tcroleplayertcroleplayer Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    'Viewpoint' ( for the view, I hope it'll be spectacular)

and

'Your House' (short for "I can see Your House from here")

(and for the wordplay)
  • Options
    chances010chances010 Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The new bars name?

SPACEWAYS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

"Forums are amazing technology. They can take a seemingly normal and
    rational person and make them look like a troll. Short-sighted, misguided, creative effort deprived. Incredible." - Snarlygribbly
  • Options
    rexhavokrexhavok Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Harsh Mistress
  • Options
    variatasvariatas Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Buck Solarwind's
  • Options
    edited September 2014
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2014
    Here's a few of my favorites -- thanks everyone for coming up with this many great names, this is a great collection of ideas.

biffsmackwell -- UNTIL We Meet Again
    someguywhoplaysgames (also epelesker) -- The Launchpad
    jonsills -- Beers'n'Gears
    bulgarex -- Home on Lagrange.
    vampirial -- The Ends of the Earth
    bulgarex -- The Rusty Joint
    bazodee -- Rusty's Resthouse
    tcroleplayer -- Viewpoint
  • Options
    ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    -Rusty's Venture (kudos if you get the reference)

-the HALodome! (surprised I didn't see a 2001: A Space Odyssey reference yet. Though, there may have be one and I missed it)

By the way, I do like 'The Launchpad', though I'd change it to 'The Launch Pad'. Calling it a 'Pad' is the sort of thing you'd generally call an apartment, or 'flat' (what the British call it) or something. Maybe even "Rusty's Launch Pad" would work, since it is technically his home as a robotic bartender. Be a good double-entendre, I'd reckon.

Also, I also like the 'Club at the End of the Universe' though there might be some copyright issues with that one :rolleyes:
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
    edited October 2014
    • The Rusty Hammer
    • No Mech's Here
    • Rusty Armor Saloon
    • What Did You Say Pub
    • Sprocket and Bolt
    • Moon and Back Pub
    • Mega D's Place. NOT!
    • Not So Fresh Tavern
    • Lava Lounge
    • Blur
    • The Starlight Room
    • Rusty's Cantina
    • Novela
    • Bubble Lounge
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not in the pot plants.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ninjapiff blinked and missed it:

-the HALodome! (surprised I didn't see a 2001: A Space Odyssey reference yet. Though, there may have be one and I missed it)

I made one, but I think I was the only one, so easily missed. :biggrin:
    HAL's

"I'm sorry, Dave, I cannot complete that drink order."
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png