FC.31.20140828.14 PTS Update

2»

Comments

• Options
    toooldforthistoooldforthis Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    kaizerin wrote: »
    against the AOE attack that needs to be fixed

That appears to directly qualify under this guidance under this thread rule:
    lordgar wrote:
    ...specific to what's on PTS

The power may in fact be such that (as you put it) 'we're fine', although I'd note other players have raised similar concerns. However, it is content that's on PTS, not live, and as such appears to be entirely and totally germane to a PTS thread. If it doesn't get addressed this year, and in the (now extremely unlikely) event I'm still playing next year when it rolls around again and it shows up on PTS once again - well, then, you know, gosh darn it, I might just have something to say about it then too.

I remain very concerned about this attack for players of all levels, and I've presented several points of evidence arguing for it to be an air-only attack. That you disagree (as we often do) or don't find my evidence compelling is perfectly fine, but the subject appears appropriate.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Kaiserin
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'll throw my voice, feeble though it iw, behind the idea of alterating some of the events based on the plasma nerf. Please reduce the hit points of the harbinger in LI by about 10-15%, and increase the Duro/Ironclad timer by 20%, as that needs doing with or without the nerf.

I'm not as allergic to cutscenes as Cross, but when this is done, provided you're not neck deep in Halloween stuff, please look at places where you can eliminate a few of the cutscenes in something like FM and replace it with voiceover. Or see whether it's possible to cut some of the cutscenes in half and stream the audio continuously and seamlessly after the cutscene finishes.

Looking forward to the next iteration of the open world fight. I was pretty critical last time, and I'd love to be able to change my tune on it.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    crosschan wrote: »
    1. I agree about the Exojets...maybe reduce their flight speed?

That was already done, and it clearly hasn't worked at all.

Simple solution: have them aggro anything within 100' and once they do so, stop moving.

The aggro part makes a ridiculous amount of sense, since if you're supposed to be defending the Harb, why exactly are you merrily enjoying a Sunday cruise in the sky while heroes are wrecking your summoned monstrosity?

The stop moving part, well, let's just justify it by presuming this particular model requires transferring power from the engines in order to fire weapons. Making them stationary while attacking would, not coincidentally, allow melee players on hover disks to finally contribute.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Suggestion: Given the gateway bar is a new area still being finished, any chance of going through and adding click to sit functionality to the chairs and stools around the room.

This is a fun QOL immersion feature that is available in STO and something i think CO should have had a long time ago. Given the number of chairs in CO I dont expect this to be extended everywhere, but it would be nice to have it in this new social area and perhaps be extended to other social hubs and RP spots.

Having to climb/stand on the furniture to sit down isnt very heroic!

Suggestion: Add some glasses and other accoutrements to the bar - looks a bit empty

Suggestion: Make the pool table/tall tables non destructible/movable like other furniture - seen it destroyed a few times while sitting in the bar already - i would think on a military (essentially) station they would frown on visitors destroying the amenities.

----

Suggestion: If the bar is a social area/hub for relaxing, should dueling be permitted? Seems to be a break of immersion again given it is a military station.

----

Suggestion: Add a couple of tall tables and stools by the windows in the bar. Would make for a great screenshot spot with the earth in the background.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Could the teleport in the UNTIL HQ be changed to allow multiple players to use it at the same time.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If he can actually provide robust numbers on what a 30 level gap looks like using a level 10 against a cosmic 40, that would narrow down whether a 4x increase between level 30 and 40 is a bug and help the game.
    It doesn't actually matter if it's a bug. I don't believe the level vs level curve is a function (20 vs 30 has the same reduction as 20 vs 40), in which case they can change the values for 21+ level difference without doing anything meaningful to the game (unless you use team teleport, the biggest level difference you can normally legitimately have is about 22 levels -- level 6 against Destroids Rise Again, level 15 in Kigatilik's Maw).
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    Suggestion: If the bar is a social area/hub for relaxing, should dueling be permitted? Seems to be a break of immersion again given it is a military station.

With all the dead end doors, maybe a sparing room could be added for those that want to duel in space.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    With all the dead end doors, maybe a sparing room could be added for those that want to duel in space.

A zero-G combat room could be fun now that they have the technology enabled to do it. Even if it has to be a separate instance, like a Battlestation.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,752 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'll throw my voice, feeble though it iw, behind the idea of alterating some of the events based on the plasma nerf. Please reduce the hit points of the harbinger in LI by about 10-15%, and increase the Duro/Ironclad timer by 20%, as that needs doing with or without the nerf.

I'm not as allergic to cutscenes as Cross, but when this is done, provided you're not neck deep in Halloween stuff, please look at places where you can eliminate a few of the cutscenes in something like FM and replace it with voiceover. Or see whether it's possible to cut some of the cutscenes in half and stream the audio continuously and seamlessly after the cutscene finishes.

Looking forward to the next iteration of the open world fight. I was pretty critical last time, and I'd love to be able to change my tune on it.

I wouldn't mind either of these changes.

Since PB is getting nerfed w/ the intent on better balancing all unit types, then it would leave a bad taste in people's mouths to just nerf something w/o buffing something (or by proxy, nerfing the enemy). It would more level the playing field and make the content less arduous for everyone involved.

I also have to back any calls to tone down the large-scale AoE- but mostly from the perspective that melee already gets punished extremely heavily by most significant content in this game- moreso than you'd normally expect and disproportionate to the extra defenses potentially avail to only melee. It'd also be less discouraging to players using most of the ATs, which is much of the F2P crowd that can still help pump life into this game.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    I also have to back any calls to tone down the large-scale AoE- but mostly from the perspective that melee already gets punished extremely heavily.
    The large-scale AoE has a 100' radius, so short of sniper rifle people, a single one punishes range just as much as melee. The only reason it's more of a penalty for melee is because, in the event that two mega-Ds pile up, it will be tougher for melee to be out of range of the one they aren't currently fighting (and 50' ranged will have trouble too).
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The large-scale AoE has a 100' radius, so short of sniper rifle people, a single one punishes range just as much as melee. The only reason it's more of a penalty for melee is because, in the event that two mega-Ds pile up, it will be tougher for melee to be out of range of the one they aren't currently fighting (and 50' ranged will have trouble too).
    that AoE has a target cap, though- unless they changed it. Short-range users are still hit w/o the cap, but long range can still pretty easily avoid it.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    The large scale AoE in those open world fights are what keep things exciting for the people without aggro.

however, it could do with a redesign from a huge wave which autohits everything, to something more similar to black talon's orbital cannon.

or simply cause its damage to be reduced by blocking more than blocking normally reduces damage, to encourage blocking the attack and make survival if blocked more likely.
    Wouldn't mind the latter change- encouraging players to pay attention to blocking more is always nice. A larger Orbital Cannon style attack could work as long as its usually centered further out. I dunno, something more creative than 'big-**** AoE dome' to hit the 4.5k base health lvl 40 ATs w/ no heal powers or tank cds with.

(I actually kinda like the Black Talon fight- its less about his normal attacks, since they are pretty paltry, but about being aware of facing and positioning -and possibly saving AOs for a hold break, though those aren't evenly distributed. It just feels a bit refreshing after encountering most other fights in this game- even if its not that challenging)
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ok, things I noticed on live I never noticed on PTS due to there being more people...

1. Can we please have indestructible furniture on the space station(and in the VIP Lounge too)?
    2. Can the space station be DUEL FREE please?

Ok, that's about it for the momment.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Stuff that's there(The space station) vs. Stuff you want added(extra rooms). I suspect my request is more feasible. ;)

They can add more stuff as it progresses because it's been mentioned that this place is "where it's at" for the time being.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    there you go again with "feasible".

if everyone thought like that, nothing would ever improve in this game.

besides our requests are not mutually exclusive.

Hmmm one line of code* (or even removal of one line) to turn off dueling in an area verses more effort in creating a room, the coding for it to exist plus the design aspects of the room.... yeah I'm not even a coder and I could see which would be a better solution.

In cross' description feasible means more realistic to happen from the devs... Sure we can dream big (look at the suggestions section for all the proof you need) but it doesn't hurt to keep reality in mind when offering ideas to be implemented.

*May be more than one line (again read not a coder) but certainly less than what would be required for a room to be created.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    Hmmm one line of code* (or even removal of one line) to turn off dueling in an area verses more effort in creating a room, the coding for it to exist plus the design aspects of the room.... yeah I'm not even a coder and I could see which would be a better solution.

In cross' description feasible means more realistic to happen from the devs... Sure we can dream big (look at the suggestions section for all the proof you need) but it doesn't hurt to keep reality in mind when offering ideas to be implemented.

*May be more than one line (again read not a coder) but certainly less than what would be required for a room to be created.

While true it might be easier, if they already have plans to increase the space or add to it or whatever, then it's not unreasonable to ask for an option to be added in another area.

I don't pvp, but I think it's a better idea to put another location near the pub where people can duel then go back and have a drink afterwards. Actually encourage some fun RP and PVP at the same time.
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I find that being allowed to duel and break stuff in the station is hilarious, and wondered how long it would take for someone to come along and suggest it be disabled... my fun interfering with their fun I guess...

some things cannot coexsist, not enough fun to go around.

Look I can understand RPers wanting to RP in peace, and that sometimes they get a lot of grief... but you gotta ignore the trolls, block duels if you don't want to participate in them... and let other people enjoy the new environment as well!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    While true it might be easier, if they already have plans to increase the space or add to it or whatever, then it's not unreasonable to ask for an option to be added in another area.

I don't pvp, but I think it's a better idea to put another location near the pub where people can duel then go back and have a drink afterwards. Actually encourage some fun RP and PVP at the same time.

Oh I agree that there should be a place for PvP, even if it's just in a specific location. It seems Cryptic's intent is to make this an alternate Ren Cen so it should have dueling activated. In lore I could see it being like the powerhouse in space, so a training center would make sense, but either way like mentioned before, if you don't like dueling you can just ignore it. I certainly can't wait to check out the new stuff myself since I haven't had a chance to.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I highly doubt that vehicles were intended to cheapen open world events like Mega D and blood moon.

Having vehicles around don't cheapen anything about the playing experience. I'll happliy wack away at Mega Ds toes with my blade and have a blast seeing the community show up in droves to take down a villian. The minute it becomes a numbers game you automatically strip away the fun atmosphere and make it a race to be the best.

Little tip, you wanna be the absolute best in a game, go try a single player.
    EU5doX8.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I never mentioned anything about best, I mentioned that the event is becoming cheapened due to vehicles.

It's supposed to be a difficult fight, yet you can complete it in 5 minutes out of 30 and do so while avoiding almost all the dangers simply by using a vehicle.

I'd appreciate if you took your attitude elsewhere, theres a real issue here which needs fixing.

It's a difficult fight for a few players, not an entire zone worth... Not really seeing an issue with how fast they drop. I actually find it fun to get to as many zones as possible before they all drop and then do other stuff while they reset.

And yes there are real issues here that need fixed, most of which don't have anything to do with the vehicles.
    EU5doX8.jpg
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The event just started...of course everyone and their grandmother are going to be racing in to drop the destroids as soon as possible. Wait a bit and the excitement will drop down...and those under populated zones will once again find themselves in some serious trouble.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Little tip, you wanna be the absolute best in a game, go try a single player.

That goes both ways. Even with these nerfs vehicles are still outDPSing pretty much any build, except for the most broken ones, and those can't do that kind of damage at 100 feet, so are vulnerable to the aoe attacks. If you want stuff like that you can always play single player games?
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    On the contrary, I think vehicle DPS (as measured with a parser) right now is pretty tame, encourages teamplay (things like AoED, Draysha, paint the target), and the event right now is pretty well balanced towards characters and vehicles (about 1/2 and 1/2 the last time I checked a few hours ago, and not all of the people on foot are exactly newbs).

Overall, well done.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    That goes both ways. Even with these nerfs vehicles are still outDPSing pretty much any build, except for the most broken ones, and those can't do that kind of damage at 100 feet, so are vulnerable to the aoe attacks. If you want stuff like that you can always play single player games?

There's mods in lots of single player games that allow all sorts of crazy stuff to happen. But my point was that if not topping charts or having the "it's not fair" mentality that your character can't be the best overall in an MMO and that ruins your sense of fun, then a single player is better suited for your enjoyment.
    EU5doX8.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    jimhsua wrote: »
    On the contrary, I think vehicle DPS (as measured with a parser) right now is pretty tame, encourages teamplay (things like AoED, Draysha, paint the target), and the event right now is pretty well balanced towards characters and vehicles (about 1/2 and 1/2 the last time I checked a few hours ago, and not all of the people on foot are exactly newbs).

Overall, well done.

My parses showed at the very least the top 5 of any of the fights being solely PB. The strongest vehicles doing about 50% higher damage than the highest placed non vehicle player... which was me, on a LA build that does a little higher than 5k dps against testing dummies. So buffed with AoED etc or no, 7.5k dps is still a tad high (testing dummy dps, not megad dps).

For balancing I think cryptic needs to stop looking only at individual powers and start looking at available buffs and combinations, and look at if those are intended or not.
    There's mods in lots of single player games that allow all sorts of crazy stuff to happen. But my point was that if not topping charts or having the "it's not fair" mentality that your character can't be the best overall in an MMO and that ruins your sense of fun, then a single player is better suited for your enjoyment.

Ah like that. Of course expecting to be able to best overall will not work for most people in a mmo.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For me, the open world event like this aren't fun anymore. I haven't bothered with the past couple Blood Moon events because of vehicle play.

Going into an event with autowin isn't fun for me. I like the challenge and uncertainty of possibly failing a fight. I guess some others take the primary enjoyment in seeing what the RNG gives them.

Showing up to deliver my minimum required damage to Mechanon and then waiting 5 minutes for it to be defeated to collect my prize isn't fun.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For me, the open world event like this aren't fun anymore. I haven't bothered with the past couple Blood Moon events because of vehicle play.

Going into an event with autowin isn't fun for me. I like the challenge and uncertainty of possibly failing a fight. I guess some others take the primary enjoyment in seeing what the RNG gives them.

Showing up to deliver my minimum required damage to Mechanon and then waiting 5 minutes for it to be defeated to collect my prize isn't fun.

Your experience may be different from mine, but I don't remember failure ever being much of an option for this event, from the very first one. It always seemed to be more of an matter of how many instances could you switch to and win each hour before they were all defeated. In the past, people at the top of the scoreboard held down the Lightning Arc or Two Gun Mojo button, and now they hold down the Plasma Beam button instead, and for some reason this is worse.

Maybe the difference now is that people can more easily analyze log parses to see what the people at the top of the list are doing, and this is the cause of angst. If so, I would be slightly sad about that.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    Maybe the difference now is that people can more easily analyze log parses to see what the people at the top of the list are doing, and this is the cause of angst. If so, I would be slightly sad about that.

Of course your plugin makes testing more fun and easier, but seeing which players and powers did how much damage was always possible with the old parser too, so don't feel bad about that. :wink:
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    Your experience may be different from mine, but I don't remember failure ever being much of an option for this event, from the very first one. It always seemed to be more of an matter of how many instances could you switch to and win each hour before they were all defeated. In the past, people at the top of the scoreboard held down the Lightning Arc or Two Gun Mojo button, and now they hold down the Plasma Beam button instead, and for some reason this is worse.

Waaaay back in the day, people used the Java parser to show how broken Gas Pellets with dinosaurs and AoED was. It's nothing new and Plasma Beam on Mk2 Vehicle is a bit of a grey area compared to 2GM/Lightning because Mk2 Vehicles are bought with Zen, as are many Plasma Beams themselves. On the other hand 2GM and Arc are available to all, even on ATs.

Personally I will use whatever works before or after nerf but I think it's understandable that people are not happy if vehicles are overperforming.
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This will probably get lost in the posts.. but noticed two bugs while playing Steel Crusade in M.C.

Steel Crusade: Heat Wave Pestilence Attacking Fevered Citizens

Pestilence is attacking citizens that are "near combustion" and making them hostile to the player. Not game breaking, but annoying and sort of ruins the "save the citizens" feel. You're actually killing them instead.

Steel Crusade: Heat Pumps Cant Be Targeted By Plasma Beam (Power Armor Version)

There is a serious issue with Plasma Beam targeting and heat pumps, during the Brain Freeze mission. It cannot target them. Other power armor powers seemed fine.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    A fairly serious bug that has slipped through to live.

BUG: Mega-Ds enter near-damage immunity mode to player damage.

I've seen this happen 4 times today. I didn't see any comments the other 3 times, but the last round actually caught everyone's attention since it was a near-5 minute bug that caused the round to last nearly 14 minutes.

Essentially what happens is that almost no player damage gets through. You'll get perhaps one attack out of 30-40 to count. This applies to any player damage; it seems to affect all attacks, vehicle and non-vehicle.

There has been some speculation that this is related to too many PB attacks and plasma stacks. This does not seem likely. I've watched stacks throughout the day, and my original guess that we'd average 30 players using PB has usually been high; the more normal number is in the low 20ish range.

However, I have noted about 10-15 Mega-Ds that did cross the 30 player level, all the way up to 40. Only one of those glitched with the damage bug. While it wouldn't surprise me one bit that a rushed and untested nerf would be the source of disastrous consequences like this - it's part and parcel of why you actually test on PTS rather than come stealthily in the night to avoid your player base providing appropriately hostile feedback for the permanent record - it doesn't seem stacks are the actual problem.

What has been suggested by someone else is that it may be related to stacking too many other DR debuffs and having it go so far negative that instead of locking at -20%, it somehow breaks the formula. That seems a bit more likely, since I do remember one heck of a lot of icons under the Mega-D during the bug.

I strongly doubt there will be anything done about this over the weekend, but if the event lasts through next week it needs to be looked at.

Edit: on second thought, just saw my second glitch when we hit 40+ vehicles with PB stacks.

Another suggestion may be that the server simply can't handle that many individual attacks at once per tick.
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think it's most likely the PBeam spam (lol). Above 800-850 stacks (totally insane, BTW) is where the problems crop up. If you have DPS characters, might try to queue them and see if lowering the stacks a bit will help.

Note that pbeams tick at an effective rate of 0.125s (2 x 0.25s attacks), or 8 attacks a second. It is possible that above a certain number of attacks/sec, the server just gives up.
  • Options
    fookilafookila Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    jimhsua wrote: »
    I think it's most likely the PBeam spam (lol). Above 800-850 stacks (totally insane, BTW)

Yeah, but so far we have around 930 stacks on PB sheer debuffs that we have attempted on the live.

However, if it went to 800 up to 900's on Mega-D 60lvl, it would because bugged to take no damages (almost) on Mega-D.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I've noticed that damage ignoring issues for a while- it happened last 2 times I was here for this invasion, and I assumed it was just a natural limit of what the server could process- since each time it happened it was w/ a full or near-full zone. I'd bring one of my dps toons, but they end up much much lower on the final readouts than they did doing the same thing in smaller zones- and when I look at the log, they hardly register any damage ticks despite attacking constantly. Those previous times there were much less vehicles being used than now.

It could just be a threshold thing, yeah, where too many inc sources of dmg will cause some of the smaller sources of dmg to be entirely ignored- or if you were one of the last people to join the zone before it filled you are put lower on priority. I'm not sure I'd consider it a bug if its an issue related to how much info the server can process for inc dmg on one target.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,095 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2014
    The 'damage bug' is something that's been around since launch. It occurs when an entity has too many power effects (in this case Sheer), resulting in the entity not registering any new ones.