test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Uncomfortable Design

Comments

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    trailturtle answers his own question:

Erm... where do you see any advertising in the Arc client, except for other PWE/Cryptic games?

THAT'S the advertising. That IS the point of the "under one umbrella", is it not? To "expose" people to other PWE games to get them to play them, too?
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    THAT'S the advertising. That IS the point of the "under one umbrella", is it not? To "expose" people to other PWE games to get them to play them, too?

PWE! You Fiends! He's on to you! Burn the files!
    edited February 2014
    Hee! Keep in mind I never said anything was wrong with it. It was all just facts and explanations of marketing. :biggrin:

Hoist on my own petard of being a cynical old man the vast majority of the time!
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    skcark wrote: »
    .........the only person mentioned depression i saw was jax or something.........

Actually, Jerax didn't say anything of the sort mate.

The first mention of "depressed" in this thread was by Jenny accusing Jerax of saying it, but it never happened.
    jennymachx wrote: »
    When I see comments about how the new design could actually depress people, I scratch my head and go "Really?". You're going to let yourself get depressed by something this trivial?

Maybe reading too much into peoples comments.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Actually, Jerax didn't say anything of the sort mate.

The first mention of "depressed" in this thread was by Jenny accusing Jerax of saying it, but it never happened.

Except that I didn't accuse Jerax specifically in the first place...so don't put words in my mouth.
    Maybe reading too much into peoples comments.

I saw multiple mentions of how the new layout felt depressing in this thread and another. I'm reading too much into people's comments? Maybe you should re-read things.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The "image" of the game is presented by the main web page (which is still pretty colorful and appealing to the eye), the information given on that page and it is also gotten from actual gameplay experience. If someone comes to the conclusion that a message board layout is actually enough to potray what the game is about and nothing else then that's an entirely different issue altogether.

To say that a forum layout is actually being able to drive away players is just stretching it.

The official site that is linked on the top of the page (and the linked champions page from arc) is as generic looking as the forums, which is no longer just a Champions focused idea. Sure the perfect world page looks like Champs should, but I see no reason why they had to change this page. It wouldn't drive away current players or necessarily prevent new players from seeing the game, but this simple layout and almost monotone color scheme feels... way too much like internet html 101 versus a forum that's been in existence for a long time about a comic styled game.

Personally it is a tad hard to read, everything being one color text wise (or really close to it) means that what should be attention grabbing titles and information is now just blended into everything else. I feel it's a poor move to change the former look into this one, it's a loss for the sake of company conformity.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
    edited February 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    The official site that is linked on the top of the page (and the linked champions page from arc) is as generic looking as the forums, which is no longer just a Champions focused idea. Sure the perfect world page looks like Champs should, but I see no reason why they had to change this page. It wouldn't drive away current players or necessarily prevent new players from seeing the game, but this simple layout and almost monotone color scheme feels... way too much like internet html 101 versus a forum that's been in existence for a long time about a comic styled game.

Personally it is a tad hard to read, everything being one color text wise (or really close to it) means that what should be attention grabbing titles and information is now just blended into everything else. I feel it's a poor move to change the former look into this one, it's a loss for the sake of company conformity.

I disagree on the "tad hard to read" part, and this is coming from someone who's had myopia and astigmatism since childhood. If anything, one color text just makes things less distracting. Anyway I've already been criticized for ignoring possible types of vision impairments so I don't really want to continue with that.

If the color scheme is making things hard to read then I'd suggest using the browser addons in the links that I posted previously. If it's simply a matter of color preference then there's nothing else left to do but adapt if they aren't going to give us actual color scheme selections.
    edited February 2014
    I saw multiple mentions of how the new layout felt depressing in this thread and another. I'm reading too much into people's comments? Maybe you should re-read things.

The only other person that said "depressed",apart from you,was finn......
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Heck, i'm finnish, we're allready depressed enough.

I'm pretty sure he was joking. Don't you agree?

So, who were you accusing when you said.....
    Complaints about how the colors actually depress people have nothing to do with accessibility and come across as just petty and alarmist.

....and....
    When I see comments about how the new design could actually depress people, I scratch my head and go "Really?". You're going to let yourself get depressed by something this trivial? I get that there are people who don't like the new color scheme but that seems like making a mountain out of an ant hill.

......?

Nobody said that the new design could "actually depress people".

However, I'm not gonna be drawn into an argument about this. You've already had a rather pointless one with skark in this thread. I'll let you have the last word.....I know you need that.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited February 2014
    The only other person that said "depressed",apart from you,was finn......

I'm pretty sure he was joking. Don't you agree?

So, who were you accusing when you said.....

....and....

......?

Nobody said that the new design could "actually depress people".

Uh huh.
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    At first i want to say the "Forum" does not refer to Champions enough in a "desing point of view"... what i mean is Champions is a colorful game wich has a wide variety of things to do and to see.. while the forums look just Grey and depressing.
    sterga wrote: »
    Welcome to ARC. If you aren't depressed now, you soon will be.

Don't harp on me about reading "too much" into people's comments when you obviously didn't bother to read things through properly.

Also, I knew Finn was joking. I'm not an idiot.
    However, I'm not gonna be drawn into an argument about this. You've already had a rather pointless one with skark in this thread. I'll let you have the last word.....I know you need that.

So why start in the first place? :rolleyes:
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    SARCASM!

But the colors are bland and lifeless. I prefer my forums of choice to at least look vibrant and pleasant.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited February 2014
    SARCASM!

:wink:

But the colors are bland and lifeless. I prefer my forums of choice to at least look vibrant and pleasant.

I echo this sentiment....especially for a superhero MMO. I'd love to properly see the beautiful, gleaming art deco buildings of RenCen.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For some perspective, we lost Necrull, some yellow-orange accents, and got a slightly lighter, desaturated background to fit the new arcgames.com art style.

Neverwinter's forum theme is BLOOD RED.

Dis_gon_b_gud.gif
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,117 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I prefered the Dark Blue Background with Orange Letters it fit CO very well

... Now this 50 Shades of Grey look really Depressing for a Colorful game like CO...

BLEH!
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Blue hyperlinks on dark grey backgrounds is not so awesome. Needs more contrast.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    I prefered the Dark Blue Background with Orange Letters it fit CO very well

... Now this 50 Shades of Grey look really Depressing for a Colorful game like CO...

BLEH!

Why did you have to mention that trashy book? Now on top of getting headaches from this forum for too long, i'll be thinking of that name and get even more headaches smashing my head against the walls >.<
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For some perspective, we lost Necrull, some yellow-orange accents, and got a slightly lighter, desaturated background to fit the new arcgames.com art style.

Neverwinter's forum theme is BLOOD RED.

Dis_gon_b_gud.gif

I still see Necrull at the top of the page... :confused:
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I still see Necrull at the top of the page... :confused:

Ctrl+F5 will kill Necrull

inb4 I'm banned for giving away cheat codes :tongue:
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited February 2014
    Ctrl+F5 will kill Necrull

inb4 I'm banned for giving away cheat codes :tongue:

That's okay.. i can't find the report button with this new layout...

Who is Necrull?
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Who is Necrull?

We didn't have a report button in the old layout but from what I've been told it's possible to get that functionality added to this archaic software now. However, the web engineers have been apparently too busy with other things this past year to get around to it.

Necrull was the guy who greeted us at the top of the page every day until he took a layout to the everything.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Who is Necrull?

Dude.

Run some non alert content.
    edited February 2014

Who is Necrull?

Boss villain of the Burial Grounds lair mission in Canada.
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited February 2014
    To be honest since the change ive only read this topic i made due to the fact i dislike the forums now... and no im not getting on my knees and install addons i would only have to use for this forum...it was pushed on us .. no one was asked if we are okay with the change or how we want our forums look like in the future...

what i mean is that the community-opinion seems to mean nothing to the web-designers of this forum...

and ARC is not the Official Website... since the official website is PWE (( publisher )) ...arc is a product published PWE but ARC is not the official website....

Despressing: what i mean with that is that i find it depressing that i play a colorful and cool game like champions and the forums looks like something dull, cold and boring...

when i wake up and go to the forums to check for news i find myself confronted with that COLD, DULL and heartless desing... dosent make me want to play champs..it rather makes me want to get in a tank and cause some chaos....or play a shooter game..lol

And again im not going to deal with is.. once this thread is over ill just avoid the forums and the website because i dont want^^

There are already people who didnt use the forums long time before the 2 changes and soem left because of the first change...and if there are more people who leave the forums then they will be even less populated.. sad story.. but hey.. its fits thw design...
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2014
    You are complaining about ugly forums, yet you are using comic sans font in your post.

Oh irony... :biggrin:
    edited February 2014
    You are complaining about ugly forums, yet you are using comic sans font in your post.

You are complaining about comic sans font, yet you are plaiyng a comic game.

edited February 2014

There are already people who didnt use the forums long time before the 2 changes and soem left because of the first change...and if there are more people who leave the forums then they will be even less populated.. sad story.. but hey.. its fits thw design...

You have got to be kidding me.

Slippery%20slope.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Suddenly I find myself liking the new color scheme a lot.... let's just pretend that it's because Defender is my fav Champion.
    edited February 2014
    Dude.

Run some non alert content.

Dude, i don't even do alerts. but thanks for the clearly very detailed answer to my question.. sarcasm btw.. clearly you don't know who necrull is either from your own alerts fest you accuse others of blindly.
    edited February 2014
    You have got to be kidding me.

Slippery%20slope.jpg

what i mean is that many people in rencen ive spoken to said they ever go to forums.. and the new ugly design and missleading link makes it not more inviting..

english is not may native language maybe i cant find the right words to tell you what i mean :(
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2014
    You are complaining about comic sans font, yet you are plaiyng a comic game.

And yet, this font actually is not used in comic books.

http://sixrevisions.com/graphics-design/comic-sans-the-font-everyone-loves-to-hate/

http://kleinletters.com/Blog/comic-sans-font-examined/

Yeah, I can't take seriously your complains.

You are pointing at visually dubious and unreadable forums with use of visually dubious and unreadable fonts. Paradox.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Honestly, in a couple weeks no one will even notice that the changes happened. Everyone will get used to it, and screenshots of the old style forums will be relished and treated as ancient artifacts.

The same hullabaloo happened with the first forum change, nobody gave a crap a couple weeks later. Remember when the minimap in the game was round? Explosions of atomic proportions happened when they turned it into a square. Now no one gives a dump.

Long story short, who cares, you'll get used to it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I miss the old maps. For one thing you could zoom in and out more. You could see the entire map by zooming out. These days I think we have less then half of the zoom we once had.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sometimes I see the new look (which is, to me, horrid) and sometimes I see the old look. Something is broken. :biggrin:
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    guyhumual wrote: »
    I miss the old maps. For one thing you could zoom in and out more. You could see the entire map by zooming out. These days I think we have less then half of the zoom we once had.

Well, that's an unfortunate bug, but it has nothing to do with the shape of the minimap.

This is what I'm talking about:
    biffsig.jpg
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Round minimaps are icky. Icky! Square ones fit nicely into the corner. Where they belong. The square also doesn't have all of that pointless chrome around it.

Although, options would be better. Like the option to have eye pleasing forums.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited February 2014
    Honestly, in a couple weeks no one will even notice that the changes happened. Everyone will get used to it, and screenshots of the old style forums will be relished and treated as ancient artifacts.

The same hullabaloo happened with the first forum change, nobody gave a crap a couple weeks later. Remember when the minimap in the game was round? Explosions of atomic proportions happened when they turned it into a square. Now no one gives a dump.

Well its because people will deal with anything for whatever reason...
    mayb champions tehgame is just to awesoem to stay mad at specific things...because... well i think im addicted to champs..lol
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Round or square really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. You could have an off center oblong map display as long as I could zoom.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Some did and do care, that is why people make post like this one. There just wasn't and still isn't anything that can be done about it. PW/Cryptic has made it clear that they will make these bad design changes regardless of what people think or say.
    edited February 2014
    Dude, i don't even do alerts. but thanks for the clearly very detailed answer to my question.. sarcasm btw.. clearly you don't know who necrull is either from your own alerts fest you accuse others of blindly.

Aaaaaaand we've entered that phase of the thread. All right everybody, time to get wildly offended at everything!
    edited February 2014
    How DARE you say that????
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited February 2014
    Well its because people will deal with anything for whatever reason...

It's called adapting. I hear that human beings can be quite good at that.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The new forum color scheme is terrible.

Was it picked by the Neutral Empire?

Sure seems like it.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Erm... where do you see any advertising in the Arc client, except for other PWE/Cryptic games?

Cannot speak for another player, but, I noticed under the Cookie Policy, it does describe that ARC is using Advertising cookies.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited February 2014

Well, there was the old boards ease of use of image files. Still miss that.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited February 2014
    guyhumual wrote: »

{ points up }

THIS.

Edit - I see you've already address this. Well, as Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind."
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Aaaaaaand we've entered that phase of the thread. All right everybody, time to get wildly offended at everything!

Pft, he started it.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This statement is highly offensive!!!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2014
    It's called adapting. I hear that human beings can be quite good at that.

there is a difference ... adapting and eating everything up are two different things...
    edited February 2014
    there is a difference ... adapting and eating everything up are two different things...

Eating everything up is another thing that has helped humans ascend to the top of the food chain. Literally.
    edited February 2014
    Eating everything up is another thing that has helped humans ascend to the top of the food chain. Literally.

haha nice one =P

still some people could use spine (( wich also helped our evolution )):D
    edited February 2014
    haha nice one =P

still some people could use backspine (( wich also helped our evolution )):D

Back spine? as opposed to front spine? or side spine?