test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FC.31.20131024.1 PTS Update

Comments

• ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    nightr0d wrote: »
    Ups my bad. There is but it's from the old crafting system. Not available anymore :tongue: (well I have a couple :P)

Limited in quantity. Does not exist anymore. Binds on Equip.

Aren't those 5% anyway? What about the other two secondary slots?

Well, I have to go do stuff so I don't have the time. Until later!~
  • nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ayonachan wrote: »
    Limited in quantity. Does not exist anymore. Binds on Equip.

Aren't those 5% anyway? What about the other two secondary slots?

Well, I have to go do stuff so I don't have the time. Until later!~

What can I say I did not realize it in the moment. Can happen to anyone lol.

+ If my memory serves me right those +5% Crit Sev items are Secondary Defense ones. I might be wrong.
  • kazzman70kazzman70 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I know it's already been brought up but there is too much wiggle room with quarry and evasive maneuvers to have to resort to more passive nerfs. Why have evasive maneuvers give more dodge than the archery passive when other passives can abuse the power? Lightning reflexes was just right before this update. It was on par with defiance. Now not so much. I'm not saying it's a bad passive now. I just think it was nerfed when it didn't need to be.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would say you should go with Maybe 1 or 2 INT MODS and replace them with EGO. My reasoning is that EGO already has more Crit Chance and falls short on the Severity. Furthermore you should go with R3 on Follow Through. This combined with the HIGH Ego will give you quite a bit more Severity. (Since you don't have a secondary that gives sev)

Furthermoe by increasing your EGO you are increasing your Crit Chance which will counter the fact that you increase Follow Through to R3. Esentially with this change you should have relatively the same Crit Chance (maybe 1-2% less) but substantially more Severity (~10% or more based on my estimation, you'd have to test it to see it).

Good advise to maximize dps, that ended with 5038 dps. So getting pretty close to dex now, but still worse. Also tried to switch out a crit rating for a severity core, and that ended up with 4850 dps.

And since ayonachan didnt seem to like changing mods when testing different stats, the dps on the dex build with crit rating mods ended up at 5273 dps.

I also asked a friend to do some testing, and she got to:
    Dex - Quarry/TGM 4,218.481
    Dex - Ice Blast DPS: 3,727.269
    Ego - Quarry/TGM DPS: 3,669.109
    Ego - Ice Blast DPS: 3,454.885

And like I said from the start, there are probably some builds that can get more out of ego or str. But dex is not a useless stat, far from it.
    edited October 2013
    aiqa wrote: »
    Good advise to maximize dps, that ended with 5038 dps. So getting pretty close to dex now, but still worse. Also tried to switch out a crit rating for a severity core, and that ended up with 4850 dps.

And since ayonachan didnt seem to like changing mods when testing different stats, the dps on the dex build with crit rating mods ended up at 5273 dps.

I also asked a friend to do some testing, and she got to:
    Dex - Quarry/TGM 4,218.481
    Dex - Ice Blast DPS: 3,727.269
    Ego - Quarry/TGM DPS: 3,669.109
    Ego - Ice Blast DPS: 3,454.885

And like I said from the start, there are probably some builds that can get more out of ego or str. But dex is not a useless stat, far from it.

The point is that they are too close. Furthermore DEX currently has horrible interaction with Crit Rating. You also forget all the other benefits EGO has over DEX like the %cost reduction from EGO and the additional Defense. Dex gives no such thing.

Compare the DEX and EGO spec trees and tell me if the additional benefits of EGO don't overshadow 200dmg points out of 5000.

How much defense does EGO give you and how much %cost reduction?

Dps is not everything, EGO wins in terms of the overall bonuses it gives.
    edited October 2013
    The point is that they are too close. Furthermore DEX currently has horrible interaction with Crit Rating. You also forget all the other benefits EGO has over DEX like the %cost reduction from EGO and the additional Defense. Dex gives no such thing.

Compare the DEX and EGO spec trees and tell me if the additional benefits of EGO don't overshadow 200dmg points out of 5000.

How much defense does EGO give you and how much %cost reduction?

Dps is not everything, EGO wins in terms of the overall bonuses it gives.

With all the INT and MSA, the dex build was much better at energy. The pictures show exactly how much more defense I got from EGO (pretty minor) and the avoidance is better in from DEX(also pretty minor), but all that INT did make the cooldown on conviction and masterful dodge noticeably better, so survivability is quite a bit better with the DEX build.

I don't see how EGO is the better choice here.

Of course there are OTHER builds that get more out of ego, for instance builds that use very very expensive powers, like force cascade. And EGO also has the knock bonus, which is also nice for force cascade. But for damage on cheap powers, DEX still seems to be the best choice for dps.
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You really equate "taking away your superstats" with "reducing your dodge and crit levels somewhat" ?

You're going to have to point out how those are in any way similar. Removing super stats would actually make the game unplayable... so I would say "wow, they're making the game unplayable unless you pay, that sucks". That doesn't speak to your point at all though... since >>lowering<< dodge and crit is in no way similar to >>removing<< super stats.

Especially when you consider the fact that you won't have to pay to get the new gear either, just like you never had to pay for Legion gear.

Everyone pays.

Some people directly buy zen, some people use in game resources and pay with their time, some people use a combination of the two.

In order for people to pay with time, people have to pay with money.

But hey, apparently you don't value anyone's time, which says a lot about the player.
    edited October 2013
    What can I say I did not realize it in the moment. Can happen to anyone lol.

+ If my memory serves me right those +5% Crit Sev items are Secondary Defense ones. I might be wrong.

+5% crit sev are secondary offense, but you take a huge stat sacrifice to run them since they max at +15 if you can find one with stats in the first place.
    edited October 2013
    With all the INT and MSA, the dex build was much better at energy. The pictures show exactly how much more defense I got from EGO (pretty minor) and the avoidance is better in from DEX(also pretty minor), but all that INT did make the cooldown on conviction and masterful dodge noticeably better, so survivability is quite a bit better with the DEX build.

I don't see how EGO is the better choice here.

Of course there are OTHER builds that get more out of ego, for instance builds that use very very expensive powers, like force cascade. And EGO also has the knock bonus, which is also nice for force cascade. But for damage on cheap powers, DEX still seems to be the best choice for dps.

You can't say Dex is the best when the difference is merely 4%. EGO reduces and Holde resistance. Personally I see no reason to go DEX considering the minimal change in dps. EGO will make me get out of holds faster. If you think that 200 more dmg is worth giving up those things then I don't know what to say. It's your play style.

Anyways, those builds are extreme cases. Not even I have enough Q to get that many Vigil pieces lol. Furthermore, as it stands with an Offensive Passive you are pretty much dead now. Does not matter what DPS you have because you will die a lot more than before. I bet soloing a Destroid is not going to be easy/possible anymore with an Offensive Passive. (+ I'm not talking about those extremely min/maxed builds but normal ones. Actually even those min/maxed one should have a problem on elite)

Since you have those builds you can try out and see if you can take down a Destroid. I'm curious if you can.
    edited October 2013
    secksegai wrote: »
    +5% crit sev are secondary offense, but you take a huge stat sacrifice to run them since they max at +15 if you can find one with stats in the first place.

If you run AoPM the stat difference is not a problem. The severity would be more beneficial than the stats since you can't get that much Severity.
    edited October 2013
    *Snip*

Don't have the time to go play resistance today, before the changes one elite destroid was pretty easy in this build. But erm... ranged knockback resistance... You might want to have another look at that.
    edited October 2013
    Don't have the time to go play resistance today, before the changes one elite destroid was pretty easy in this build. But erm... ranged knockback resistance... You might want to have another look at that.

Ah right forgot, EGO gives no kb res only kb. It's one of the things that bothered me about EGO vs STR. My bad.
    edited October 2013
    You can't say Dex is the best when the difference is merely 4%. EGO reduces and Holde resistance. Personally I see no reason to go DEX considering the minimal change in dps. EGO will make me get out of holds faster. If you think that 200 more dmg is worth giving up those things then I don't know what to say. It's your play style.

Anyways, those builds are extreme cases. Not even I have enough Q to get that many Vigil pieces lol. Furthermore, as it stands with an Offensive Passive you are pretty much dead now. Does not matter what DPS you have because you will die a lot more than before. I bet soloing a Destroid is not going to be easy/possible anymore with an Offensive Passive. (+ I'm not talking about those extremely min/maxed builds but normal ones. Actually even those min/maxed one should have a problem on elite)

Since you have those builds you can try out and see if you can take down a Destroid. I'm curious if you can.

Assuming one thing doesn't change, I'll have a means of using an Offensive passive and killing mega destroids regardless of dodge/avoid. The reason is simply because I don't take damage so the mitigation factor is thrown out the window.

As for everything else, my pure damage dex/con/int min/max setup struggles a bit on live from her lack of knock rez. My pvp variant handles them just fine live tho, but she's also built to fight against human opponents who provide more challenge well beyond the AI's capacity.

But once the changes hit, yeah that's not gonna happen. But that's the least of my worries when over half my roster is AT.
    edited October 2013
    Assuming one thing doesn't change, I'll have a means of using an Offensive passive and killing mega destroids regardless of dodge/avoid. The reason is simply because I don't take damage so the mitigation factor is thrown out the window.

As for everything else, my pure damage dex/con/int min/max setup struggles a bit on live from her lack of knock rez. My pvp variant handles them just fine live tho, but she's also built to fight against human opponents who provide more challenge well beyond the AI's capacity.

But once the changes hit, yeah that's not gonna happen. But that's the least of my worries when over half my roster is AT.

Eruption? I know of no other way to not get hit. But you can't do perma Eruption anymore so...What do you do when it's on cooldown. (anyways, fixing a build with a device is not ok IMO)

My condolences on your AT's. .
    edited October 2013
    Eruption? I know of no other way to not get hit. But you can't do perma Eruption anymore so...What do you do when it's on cooldown. (anyways, fixing a build with a device is not ok IMO)

My condolences on your AT's. .

120 feet range power... probably with yet another item we cant get anymore...
    edited October 2013
    120 feet range power... probably with yet another item we cant get anymore...

Well that is not a solution. Being pigeonholed into taking such powers is no ok.
    edited October 2013
    Well that is not a solution. Being pigeonholed into taking such powers is no ok.

That's exactly the issue at hand. We already have a reduced set of options. It's one thing to specialize, its another when you have no choice or freedom.

Players that don't leave switch over to def passives.

Players still have "too much" defensive capability based on that logic. Players will still do "too much" damage because they're self-sufficient and not be reliant on support healing.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Everyone pays.

Some people directly buy zen, some people use in game resources and pay with their time, some people use a combination of the two.

In order for people to pay with time, people have to pay with money.

But hey, apparently you don't value anyone's time, which says a lot about the player.

Sure, you could also say something like "You pay to use the toilet by urinating in it", but that's not going to get anyone to equate urine with money.

If you want me to value your time or your money, then don't spend either of them on video games.
    edited October 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Sure, you could also say something like "You pay to use the toilet by urinating in it", but that's not going to get anyone to equate urine with money.

If you want me to value your time or your money, then don't spend either of them on video games.

So you don't value your own time and money as you're not only spending it in a game, you're posting about it in a forum.....

If one doesn't value their own time/money, then obviously they're not a typical person.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So you don't value your own time and money as you're not only spending it in a game, you're posting about it in a forum.....

If one doesn't value their own time/money, then obviously they're not a typical person.

Yeah, if I thought that I should be spending this time on something "more valuable", then I would. I chose to spend it on video games, which is why I would never get on someone's case for not pretending that my time is super valuable.

Typical person? srsly? Plz post specifics of typical person so I can point out that it's all just your opinion.
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    SeCKSEgai, have you given the dodge/avoid changes with regards to teamwork and honest try?

Because I'll tell you, my healer is getting a lot more use as a result. Used to be I'd never take her out of storage except to be a PvP healer or do Gravitar, now she's actually handy to have on a team.

Aside: AoRP, Seraphim, and Medical Nanites could use some sort of buff though... And regen and PFF are still needing something more to make them up to par with competition.
    edited October 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    SeCKSEgai, have you given the dodge/avoid changes with regards to teamwork and honest try?

Because I'll tell you, my healer is getting a lot more use as a result. Used to be I'd never take her out of storage except to be a PvP healer or do Gravitar, now she's actually handy to have on a team.

Aside: AoRP, Seraphim, and Medical Nanites could use some sort of buff though... And regen and PFF are still needing something more to make them up to par with competition.

Wait a second. Are you implying that the changes are OK because if you team with a healer he can heal you? Are you serious?

If those changes go live I'll go Defense, not going to bother to be at someone's mercy. What other passives require you to team to survive except Offensives (based on the PTS changes) ?

Those changes brutalize Offensive Toon's survivability. You think that having high dps makes up for dying or being unable to do content a Defensive toon can?

You know what, Offense and Defense should be balanced such that both can take on the same CONTENT. Offense would do more dmg but it would be less durable (still survivable) while Defense would be more durable but deal less damage.

I'm not into the trinity system nor do I belive we need a healer class especially as FF.
    edited October 2013

Well its definitely going to make healers useful again, but then we start getting into trinity.

That's kind of the problem.

As an AT, I would often love having one decent healer on my team. Of course, when there are 4, not so much.

On a team full of well built FFs, healers fall by the wayside because those players are all already self-sufficient, as far as live goes. In those situations you prefer support damage and debuffing.

As far as the proposed changes go, it does make healers far more desired in teams, but that can be said of live on a team of ATs. The pug system throws random folks together, not taking powers into account, which is why so many of us have learned to be self-reliant during alerts. Before the gating, I remember taking my Invincible out on Val, tanking everything and never losing threat - but the entire team simply couldn't put out enough damage.

While that should never be the case now, the pug aspect is why I stopped taking certain characters in alerts at all, much for the same reasons your healer was shelved.

Running TT elite with a full trinity was a usual occurrence for some of us before alerts took over. When you even have a level 20 with a crystal, you know you were running it religiously.

Sure, it means great things for the support role, and they have been largely neglected. But at what cost?
    edited October 2013
    Well its definitely going to make healers useful again, but then we start getting into trinity.

That's kind of the problem.

As an AT, I would often love having one decent healer on my team. Of course, when there are 4, not so much.

On a team full of well built FFs, healers fall by the wayside because those players are all already self-sufficient, as far as live goes. In those situations you prefer support damage and debuffing.

As far as the proposed changes go, it does make healers far more desired in teams, but that can be said of live on a team of ATs. The pug system throws random folks together, not taking powers into account, which is why so many of us have learned to be self-reliant during alerts. Before the gating, I remember taking my Invincible out on Val, tanking everything and never losing threat - but the entire team simply couldn't put out enough damage.

While that should never be the case now, the pug aspect is why I stopped taking certain characters in alerts at all, much for the same reasons your healer was shelved.

Running TT elite with a full trinity was a usual occurrence for some of us before alerts took over. When you even have a level 20 with a crystal, you know you were running it religiously.

Sure, it means great things for the support role, and they have been largely neglected. But at what cost?

I don't particularly care for the "support" role. That's a completely outdated ideology/concept. We are supposed to be superheroes, how many run around with someone there to heal them. If I wanted a superhero game with trinity I'd play DCUO. I want to be the hero I WANT TO BE not some rag doll just because some people can't let got of the fantasy trinity pigeonhole principle.
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If we're seriously talking about nerfing EM THIS much in order to lighten the nerf on Dodge Passives, then can we at least ADD SOMETHING to EM to still make it worth taking?

Your suggesting something like this...

EM R1= 5%
    EM R2= 7%
    EM R3= 10%

I'd like to suggest adding some Avoidance to the power to make up for the lower Dodge Chance. In one of two ways...

1st Way) %Avoidance matches the %Dodge Chance at each rank. R3=10% Avoidance.

2nd Way) Add a 1pt or 2pt Advantage that adds 10% Avoidance no mater the rank of the power.

I'd suggest replacing it with a stack of Defiance. There's precedence in Breakaway Shot for this.

I am also still very much dedicated to the idea that the SLIGHT OF MIND Advantage should be removed from EM and added to EGO PLACATE. As a Placate Advantage makes more sense on a Placate Power.

No don't do that. The main/only reason I take EM at all is Slight of Mind, I mean if you want to call it something else that's fine. Advance to the Rear perhaps..

Now I would like to see Slight of Mind added to a few other powers so there's some other aggro wipe options..

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't particularly care for the "support" role. That's a completely outdated ideology/concept. We are supposed to be superheroes, how many run around with someone there to heal them. If I wanted a superhero game with trinity I'd play DCUO. I want to be the hero I WANT TO BE not some rag doll just because some people can't let got of the fantasy trinity pigeonhole principle.

So you're telling us that you'd rather be selfish then let Support roles 'Support' and feel useful then self healing with cherry picked powers to break team work? *Sigh* Good on ya, Least if their was some presence of Trinity system all roles would have advantage of role cohesion then glorified hybrids blasting everything with guns making everything else trivial... It goes both ways, rather then having a dynamic setup you have these specialized 'Elite' builds steamrolling everything without a second thought to other concepts then winning, yet you don't like the idea of sharing the game play?.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
    edited October 2013
    rtma wrote: »
    So you're telling us that you'd rather be selfish then let Support roles 'Support' and feel useful then self healing with cherry picked powers to break team work? *Sigh* Good on ya, Least if their was some presence of Trinity system all roles would have advantage of role cohesion then glorified hybrids blasting everything with guns making everything else trivial... It goes both ways, rather then having a dynamic setup you have these specialized 'Elite' builds steamrolling everything without a second thought to other concepts then winning, yet you don't like the idea of sharing the game play?.

It's exactly the other way around. YOU, those with the "support" are the selfish ones. Why do I have to need someone to support me? This is an absurd idea and it has no place here considering FF. You are taking it for granted that there should be a "support" role while to me that is absurd. What kind of superhero needs someone around him to heal him constantly?

Spare me the trinity pigeonhole principle ok. If you want to build yourself as support then that's your choice but that does not mean that I should be forced to need YOU. It's people with this absurd ideologies who are selfish and force others to need them because that's the build they want to play so they IMPOSE it on others.

I'm supposed to need you just BECAUSE you want to play support? Who's the selfish one here?
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Sorry, did you mean Aura of Arcane Clarity? I thought AoRP gave a lot of resistance, I didn't know it needed a buff.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's exactly the other way around. YOU, those with the "support" are the selfish ones. Why do I have to need someone to support me? This is an absurd idea and it has no place here considering FF. You are taking it for granted that there should be a "support" role while to me that is absurd. What kind of superhero needs someone around him to heal him constantly?

Spare me the trinity pigeonhole principle ok. If you want to build yourself as support then that's your choice but that does not mean that I should be forced to need YOU. It's people with this absurd ideologies who are selfish and force others to need them because that's the build they want to play so they IMPOSE it on others.

I'm supposed to need you just BECAUSE you want to play support? Who's the selfish one here?

Okay then, then turn every passive to Hybrid and everyone is hybrid role, all others removed and see how more broken it will go and what everyone will exploit, try to give purpose to roles but see it trivialized by others isn't a good thing, and justifying that your a superhero that doesn't need help because you're super? Pick Regen then everyone will be happy?

I'm not trying to Impose the Trinity system I'm just contrasting that everyone would have a part to play then glorified Hybrids steamrolling everything, do you understand now? and Generalizing support roles being selfish is ignorant, I don't see many Support roles at all then Hybrids, what does that tell you.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Players that don't leave switch over to def passives.

Or they will keep playing offensive passive builds as they have been doing, in some cases, for years now.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • sagewithbubblessagewithbubbles Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Members of the Fantastic Four, the Justice League, the X-Men or the Avengers don't need Invisible Woman, Batman, Cyclops or Captain America around to be able to fight bad guys.

They want them around because they contribute to the success of the team as a whole.

That's what support in this should be like, and isn't. They've had to make it more MMO-friendly (which means healing), and they seem to have issues with powers that aren't incredibly garish and high-animation.

But still, at least the Support role and (some) support powers exist, for people who like that sort of thing. And, to this day, in all my years of playing, I've never seen anyone complain about getting the benefits of AoRP, AoED or AoPM.

You don't get to disenfranchise an (already neglected) group of players just because you'd prefer the Justice League to be a team of 7 clones of Superman.

The user formerly known as Dr. Sage.

Invisible Woman .. ok .. but where are Batman, Cyclops or Cap Supporter ? Cyclops is more like a Force Cascade Spammer for me. Batman and Cap maybe only NEED Supporters, because they are so weak :tongue:

The problem with players that allways want to be nothing than supporters for me is, that they seem to think its a bad thing to do damage .. better overheal all the time .. but good verbid that they do damage if nobody actually needs healing. And then they moan when in some game modes they are not ranked high enough for just using their heals and heal for NULL all the time.

Supporter in the form of Auras or Buffs, Debuffs while still doing good damage and throw in a heal if really needed .. thats a welcome thing however.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited October 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Or they will keep playing offensive passive builds as they have been doing, in some cases, for years now.

I've been playing offensive passives for years. As the changes have come across, I've shelved alts for lack of performance. FFs you can completely change, ATs don't have that luxury.

I mean sure, if I want to keep running unity one and 2 endlessly then who needs dodge/avoid. But if I want any sense of durability in alerts, I need decent survivability to deal with the tough rated mobs or high damage output.

Sure I got by long before without dodge/avoid, on elite, etc. But with alerts being the closest thing to new content we get, or rewarding content for that matter, when that experience becomes painful because my pug teams are constantly mismatched in levels and roles (what happens now) but no longer retain the self-sufficiency I currently have, then I stop bothering.

We're already seeing content prohibitive to certain builds, player types, and you want to encourage that exclusion? It's already clear that Grav has lost its flair, and Cybermind being the latest addition isn't doing much better. The sad part is Cybermind is pretty well done overall, but the massive HP and the insanely low drop rate kill interest. Grav on the other hand found players using the system for their benefit only for those powers to get nerfed in the process, whether it be the flying sniper, the smoke grenadier or skarn's bane being used to debuff as its supposed to.

When every new alert needs to remove our travel powers to "add" difficulty, there's a problem.

When every alert results in people locked out consistently there's a problem.

This game never had xp debt, people aren't going to play at that level. As much as I've always hated xp debt, it ensured I as a player learned to avoid defeat to the best of my ability.

Almost forgot:

@nightrod/rtma

Technically you both have a point. Someone who wants to run support should be allowed to do so. Someone who doesn't want to shouldn't be forced.

I don't know if I've ever teamed with nightrod, but I've ended up on pug teams with rtma. And as someone who's run support I can recognize its limited role in the game's current state. As someone who hates the role, I can also recognize Nightrod's dislike for it.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Members of the Fantastic Four, the Justice League, the X-Men or the Avengers don't need Invisible Woman, Batman, Cyclops or Captain America around to be able to fight bad guys.

They want them around because they contribute to the success of the team as a whole.

That's what support in this should be like, and isn't. They've had to make it more MMO-friendly (which means healing), and they seem to have issues with powers that aren't incredibly garish and high-animation.

But still, at least the Support role and (some) support powers exist, for people who like that sort of thing. And, to this day, in all my years of playing, I've never seen anyone complain about getting the benefits of AoRP, AoED or AoPM.

You don't get to disenfranchise an (already neglected) group of players just because you'd prefer the Justice League to be a team of 7 clones of Superman.

Don't say that...Invisible Woman is powerful...when she isn't dying from a nose bleed (I HATE this portrayal of her) :tongue:

I've actually been reported for being a support role toon, apparently me saving the team leader from death was ruining his theme and his experience of the game and if I healed him again he'd get his SG to mute me.

Needless to say Ascension accidentally healed him, I was reported and got a chat ban for 24hrs.

He also complained that I should not shield or use AoRP on him...some people are so crazy.

If his theme was being a douchebag he pretty much fulfilled that as far as I was concerned.

Personally, I always like having some form of Support on a team, be it myself or another person. It's my little idea of a "perfectly rounded team". But that's just me, I like to Support, DPS or CC (I only use CC if I am moving fast or soling stuff). As many people may know, I cannot tank to save my life, mainly cause I've not made a tanking toon before and probably would be bad at it :biggrin:
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    regardless of your bad experience, support toons should never be NEEDED. they should, and already are desirable however.

I never said they should be needed. Instances like FM would be impossible if a healer was needed.

I just LIKE to have support on the team, sort of like an insurance in case things go pear shaped.

I am sure EVERYONE has run instances which can be viewed as challenging without a healer or support toon.
    edited October 2013
    rtma wrote: »
    Okay then, then turn every passive to Hybrid and everyone is hybrid role, all others removed and see how more broken it will go and what everyone will exploit, try to give purpose to roles but see it trivialized by others isn't a good thing, and justifying that your a superhero that doesn't need help because you're super? Pick Regen then everyone will be happy?

I'm not trying to Impose the Trinity system I'm just contrasting that everyone would have a part to play then glorified Hybrids steamrolling everything, do you understand now? and Generalizing support roles being selfish is ignorant, I don't see many Support roles at all then Hybrids, what does that tell you.

What are you talking about. Where are those glorified Hybrids you speak of? You talk as if it's a general truth whiteout providing a shred of information or evidence of it.

No to mention that you are being pedantic about my interest in the support role. CO never had the need for people to play a "part". Everyone played what they wanted but YOU think that this should not be the case. You are ignorant and a hypocrite. On one side you say you don't try to "impose the trinity system" then you say that everyone should have a "part" to play. Let people play the way they want to play.

I never said that people should no be able to play support I said that being forced to NEED SUPPORT does not work in CO.
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I always like having some form of Support on a team, be it myself or another person. It's my little idea of a "perfectly rounded team". But that's just me, I like to Support, DPS or CC (I only use CC if I am moving fast or soling stuff). As many people may know, I cannot tank to save my life, mainly cause I've not made a tanking toon before and probably would be bad at it :biggrin:

This ^

Nobody said you can't play something unless there is an extreme need for it or if there is no set in stone "role".

I support people being able to play and do whatever they want. You (not you raven) can play a support and help your team if you like. What I don't agree with is not being able to build a self sufficient toon if I want to. That to me is limiting my enjoyment of the game.
    edited October 2013

You said it yourself that they contribute to it but that does not MEAN that without them every team should fail and die.

Do you really want me to list all the superheroes that don't require a team or sidekick? You think that your examples prove anything? From the set of all the superheroes you took a very small one out to prove what? That they exist? Who said they don't?

You comment is simply ignorant to what I was talking about. You act as if I'm against people's play-stile of support. That's not it at all. I don't agree with people needing support. As you said it yourself it's nice thing to have and it provides benefits but NEEDING is one thing and NICE TO HAVE is another.
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Comic logic as an argument for game balance has never been meaningful its also subjective and a waste of time.

Whenever you convert a story from one medium to the next, something will get lost in translation. This is true for comic>movies other comic video games EX: Marvel Vs Capcom and books translated into movies.
    This is NOT a comic book it is a MMO about comic books and it is a MMO first.

As for offensive passives, you will be fine if you pay more attention to agro, this is very ez for a FF (i cant speak for ATs). Grab an agro dropping power, heal and an AD for when you get in over your head and you will be fine. Playing offensively requires a certain approach (just like any other role). Also if you kill your targets they wont over agro and kill you.

I hate to use phrases like LTP but those of you that will be switching to defensive passives after these changes probably should have been playing defensive passives in the first place. You shouldn't be able to approach LR and Nightwarrior the same way and if you can, that makes all the builds in the game "feel" the same and thus is bad for diversity (the problem they are trying to fix).

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Shrugs why not make support mandatory for lairs? After all nobody's doing em any more!
    Self sufficiency meaning able to do anything other than solo 5 or 10 man content? Just a thought.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
    edited October 2013
    What I don't agree with is not being able to build a self sufficient toon if I want to.
    What are you talking about?
    You can absolutely build self sufficient toons rite now.
    If your going to make a claim like that, you need to back it up by posting a build and the content that is undoable with it.
    the idea that support should have a role to play should NEVER interfere with others ability to build self sufficient characters who do not need it.
    Again, you have been very active in these discussions so im SURE you have done some testing by now, so what is this unself-sufficient build you speak of and what specific piece of content are you unable to do because of the recent changes?

This is the kind of hyperbole that makes it hard to use our feedback to make accurate judgements about the game.

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm just going to put this here.

RE: OFFENSE

Offense is not always a buff from previous numbers to the current version. Offense does exactly what Gentlemancrush said it would on his blog, namely:
    We have completely reworked how Offense scales and where it applies its damage bonus ? for those interested in the math, we've made Offense's percentile bonus multiply Passive bonuses to damage.

Namely the bolded. What happens is, offense improves the ammount of damage buff you have, so 100% bonus damage with 10% offense becomes 110% bonus damage.

This thread has the breakdown showing how new offense works

The immediately visible issue:

Without enough bonus damage from non-offense sources, you do not get a buff, rather you will see a reduction in damage. The hypothetical 100% damage with 10% offense, would have been 134% bonus damage with old offense.

To figure out if you are better or worse after the changes, divide the offense you would have had, by the offense you get under the new system, and if you have that much bonus damage (without counting offense) you will -break even- anything above that ammount will be in new offense's favor, and anythig lower would be in old offense's favor.

Example:

34% offense in old system or 10% in new system. 34/.1 = 340% bonus damage needed to break even. Double check: 340 * 1.1 = 374 and 340 + 34 = 374

Yay! broke even!!!
    edited October 2013
    Comic logic as an argument for game balance has never been meaningful its also subjective and a waste of time.

Whenever you convert a story from one medium to the next, something will get lost in translation. This is true for comic>movies other comic video games EX: Marvel Vs Capcom and books translated into movies.
    This is NOT a comic book it is a MMO about comic books and it is a MMO first.

As for offensive passives, you will be fine if you pay more attention to agro, this is very ez for a FF (i cant speak for ATs). Grab an agro dropping power, heal and an AD for when you get in over your head and you will be fine. Playing offensively requires a certain approach (just like any other role). Also if you kill your targets they wont over agro and kill you.

I hate to use phrases like LTP but those of you that will be switching to defensive passives after these changes probably should have been playing defensive passives in the first place. You shouldn't be able to approach LR and Nightwarrior the same way and if you can, that makes all the builds in the game "feel" the same and thus is bad for diversity (the problem they are trying to fix).

Oh really? You know what, I'm tired of all the people like you who spout this kind of BS. LTP you tell that to me? Spare me the nonsense and back up you claim with numbers. People who pointed out the issue here have brought numbers to show the difference.

You want to prove something then back your claims up with some numbers.

I can't believe the level of ignorance people are displaying. They say that you were doing fine before dodge/avoidance ? They have amnesia or something? Before dodge there were massive outcries about Offensive Passives not being viable because of how easily you would die. Everyone forgot about that ??

If Defensive passives can beat content X so should Offensive passives. There is no justification why one should not be able to do the SAME CONTENT as the other. Defense would decrease your chance of dying and Offense would help kill faster to decrease the chance of dying. This only holds true if you have enough protection as an Offensive toon to not be one shotted.

Next time you bring LTP up (kudos to you for that one) back it up with numbers. If a defensive passive can take down a Destroid so should an Offensive (at a higher risk of death but NOT A GUARANTEED DEATH).
    edited October 2013
    What are you talking about?
    You can absolutely build self sufficient toons rite now.
    If your going to make a claim like that, you need to back it up by posting a build and the content that is undoable with it.

You know what. This has nothing to do with the actual discussion. That post had to do with someone else commenting on me not caring a lot about "support" (it's my opinion not yours). What you did is take it out of context. I don't even know what you think I said or what you understood by this but it's not what I'm talking about.

I never said that you can't be self sufficient. I said that I don't agree with the NEED for "support".

How about next time you read what people write in the context it was written. If you don't get the context then don't start quoting people randomly and asking for justification. You are asking me to prove something I never claimed.

That discussion was not about Offensive passives it was about the concept/ideology of "support". COMPLETELY different from what you think it was about.
    edited October 2013
    Next time you bring LTP up (kudos to you for that one) back it up with numbers. If a defensive passive can take down a Destroid so should an Offensive (at a higher risk of death but NOT A GUARANTEED DEATH).
    You misinterpreted my post. I said i DON'T like the phrase LTP and went on to give some tips on how to play instead of just saying "figure it out ". I guess i could have been more clear.
    What you did is take it out of context.
    like you did with my post? That makes us even then.

As for soloing Destroids, Are you talking about the Destroids in resistance? I haven't tried to solo or even run Resistance in ages, but ill give it a shot later today. But regardless of it they are soloable on offensive passives, you can hack, and bypass them and solo resistance regardless. furthermore, im not convinced Mobs of that rank are intended to be solo friendly.

edited October 2013
    no. some people don't like waiting for an hour desperately trying to get a team for a lair. we are superheroes. we should be able to bust a lair alone if neccesary.

That happens because the rewards suck and the lair review never happened. Lairs are not intended to be soloed (with the exception of Stronghold Prison and Project Awakening).