test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

9/24/2015 Release Notes

ladygadflyladygadfly Posts: 279 Cryptic Developer
edited December 2015 in Release Notes
9/24/2015 Release Notes

- A FREE Retcon token can be claimed from the C-Store once/account through the end of October.
- Fixed MT store entry for Wasteland Scorpion MT to grant proper vehicle (was granting Electric Scorpion).
- Fixed an enlarged Endbringer's Grasp icon.
- Added FAQ to Onslaught Agent contact.
- Westside Onslaught Agent moved deeper into Westside.
- Changed range of Hermes Turrets to match max Supervillain attack range.
- Updated text on Onslaught Supervillains to clarify they are unlocked on a per-character basis.
Post edited by ladygadfly on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    normal-42.gif
    Once/account.... *grabs popcorn*​​
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    The fact that a free Retcon token going out is very yes, although..it does raise the question as to why this wasn't done when the CDR "fix" was first launched.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    gregmeisterrgregmeisterr Posts: 12 Arc User
    One retcon token for all my toons?
    Hopefully that is a misprint.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    notyuu wrote: »
    The fact that a free Retcon token going out is very yes, although..it does raise the question as to why this wasn't done when the CDR "fix" was first launched.

Because they've never handed the retcon token the day of a patch launch due to possibility of issues or needing a rollback. It happened once before and they had to issue retcons twice because of a rollback error.

It's been this way for a long while now I don't understand why people thought it was never going to happen when they said the retcon was.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited September 2015

- A FREE Retcon token can be claimed from the C-Store once/account through the end of October.

@ladygadfly...

Does this mean a character specific retcon for all characters?

Or literally ONE token which applies to the whole account but can only be redeemed by ONE character?

Also...

Were you guys able to fix Endbringer's Grasp Animation bug which resurfaced on PTS?
  • Options
    thyuberdudethyuberdude Posts: 22 Arc User
    To the players that swore a free retcon wasn't coming.

I hope you wasted the G to retcon after the CDR nerf. And now you feel bad. Really bad. :trollface:

Just kidding, I love you all.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    So not only is this retcon token only good for a single character, rather then applying it to all characters as you have in the past, it also expires at the end of the month? These decisions just keep getting worse.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User

Does this mean a character specific retcon for all characters?

Or literally ONE token which applies to the whole account but can only be redeemed by ONE character?

I assume it's only 1 per account.
    If it was for all characters, using the "Free Retcon" option we have had since for ever would have been much easier.
  • Options
    ghostlotusvirtueghostlotusvirtue Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2015

9/24/2015 Release Notes

- Fixed MT store entry for Wasteland Scorpion MT to grant proper vehicle (was granting Electric Scorpion).
    - Fixed an enlarged Endbringer's Grasp icon.
    - Added FAQ to Onslaught Agent contact.
    - Updated text on Onslaught Supervillains to clarify they are unlocked on a per-character basis.

Yaaaaaaaaaas!
  • Options
    zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
    I also want a clarification for the retcon thingy... So ONE RETCON /ACCOUNT? So one of my characters get a free retcon, others don't?​​
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Just to echo a few others here. Is the Retcon only able to be claimed and used once for a single character on the account, or is it claimable once and provides a free Retcon for every character currently on the account? Clarification would be nice.

Aside from that, I like the looks of these changes and fixes. :)​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Chuold we have a Level 30 Token?
    Psi.
  • Options
    elenahallelenahall Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2015

notyuu wrote: »

Because they've never handed the retcon token the day of a patch launch due to possibility of issues or needing a rollback. It happened once before and they had to issue retcons twice because of a rollback error.

It's been this way for a long while now I don't understand why people thought it was never going to happen when they said the retcon was.​​

--------

The problem with such an approach is, that if someone has a character that is no longer really playable because of the changes, then players would have to twiddle their thumbs and do nothing or play other characters that they might not want to play or even have.

Thats some very bad design and a possible bad patch is no excuse for that, there are several ways around the problem of giving out rewards twice even after a rollback. Sure it forces people to use their money to buy retcons, which makes the devs and publisher happy but I can understand the outrage of this marketing tactic, because thats all there is to it, there is no real technical justification for it.

Just because it has always been this way, doesn't make it a good decision.

• Options

Tell the Suits to butt out. Per-character unlocks? One retcon per account?

The Suits need the Boot, as their bad decisions are countering every ounce of goodwill the new stuff is generating.

Seriously, it is deeply disappointing.

On that we can agree
    Psi.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    For those wondering it is once per account.

This is bad comedy.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I expected nothing and still got Disappointed!​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    We can stop blaming the suits for decisions like this. We know now that these choices are made by the devs and community staffers directly. Auras sets not unlocking account wide, Lordgar and Trailturtle. This one retcon token, Gentleman Crush.

If they want to prove that they really care about this game, they need to prove it by not insulting their highest paying players. Well, former highest paying players.​​
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User

We can stop blaming the suits for decisions like this. We know now that these choices are made by the devs and community staffers directly. Auras sets not unlocking account wide, Lordgar and Trailturtle. This one retcon token, Gentleman Crush.

If they want to prove that they really care about this game, they need to prove it by not insulting their highest paying players. Well, former highest paying players.​​

We don't know who at Cryptic made this decision, and I'm not sure whether it matters or not. Let's just stick to first principles: One retcon per account in a game that owes its continued existence to altoholism is towering in its short-sightedness.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    bazodeebazodee Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    BUG: Onslaught Villain does not last full 30mins.
    9:57 - Got token and morphed into my Fav Until Defender killer
    10:08 - checked time left on villain, 18mins 38 secs
    10:13 - Poof! Ball is over, transformed back into every day CO hero right in the middle of my Until Defender fight.

Please fairy godmother make my villain play time lasts the time you promised!

I left no glass slipper behind.
    I don't like Sigs, but I'll leave this here anyway. At least I'm not to trying to hypnotise you with moving things!
  • Options
    zemmaxzemmax Posts: 295 Arc User
    Someone mentioned that the devices are actually WORKING AS INTENTED. YOu know, device lasts for 30 minutes, BUT. BEING A SUPERVILLAIN lasts for only 15 minutes! So, when you turn it on, be sure to have 15 minutes left for fun. But yes, it.. it sucks.​​
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    Once per account? I got 76 level 40 toons, and a portion of them will be affected, but this is a completely different way of handing out Recons isn't it? Didn't you used to add a free recon to all the toons automatically? I know I have some toons that still have free recons attached to them and I've never bought any.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    15 minutes, sounds right. the item is 30 minutes but the villain is 15mins. I asked about that earlier in the week.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    zemmax said:

Someone mentioned that the devices are actually WORKING AS INTENTED.

Well, at least working in a way consistent with the tooltip for the device, which mentions 900 seconds. However, it would be really nice to have a buff icon that would show how much time was left.
  • Options
    bazodeebazodee Posts: 151 Arc User
    zemmax said:

Someone mentioned that the devices are actually WORKING AS INTENTED. YOu know, device lasts for 30 minutes, BUT. BEING A SUPERVILLAIN lasts for only 15 minutes! So, when you turn it on, be sure to have 15 minutes left for fun. But yes, it.. it sucks.​​

waaat?!?! really?

*bangs head against table*
    I don't like Sigs, but I'll leave this here anyway. At least I'm not to trying to hypnotise you with moving things!
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    zemmax wrote: »
    Someone mentioned that the devices are actually WORKING AS INTENTED. YOu know, device lasts for 30 minutes, BUT. BEING A SUPERVILLAIN lasts for only 15 minutes! So, when you turn it on, be sure to have 15 minutes left for fun. But yes, it.. it sucks.

I refuse to believe it until a DEV confirm this horrible thing! Denial! Denial! onion-45.gif

Please make the devices last 30 Minutes for pete's sake!​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    avianos said:

I expected nothing and still got Disappointed!​​

So much this.

Gratz on the sucker punch, Cryptic.

Ouch :/

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    Now I'm really glad I had only one character who's really reliant on INT and cooldowns. >:)
    *grabs popcorn*
  • Options

Now I'm really glad I had only one character who's really reliant on INT and cooldowns. >:)
    *grabs popcorn*

Well, when they nerf Con, Str, or Ego next you might care as one recon per account doesn't seem right.

I mean it hurts that many people are going to need new equipment as this effects more then just folks that used Int for CDR, but it's an especially cruel blow to folks that were using Int and gear. Most of my level 40s that I use on a regular basis I use strictly for RP, but some people use their toons for grinding achievements, costume unlocks, Questionite, and Gs, and use more then one character to grind as they can do dailys more then once per day. It's not going to take long for those folks to be set back weeks or even months to grind back gear and Gs for recons. If you're just going to laugh now when they eventually nerf a Super Stat you use, and they will until every super stat is as useless as endurance, then nobody is going to be united then either.
  • Options
    bombermangoldbombermangold Posts: 29 Arc User
    Heh, free retcon.

QUESTION: What about the missing costume pieces still?
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Handing out 10 of the respec tokens wouldn't matter because you can only ever have one. Having one per account like this is lame. It's not like Cryptic hands out tokens all that often, so it would hardly be game breaking.

I do think the cdr nerf isn't even remotely as bad as people are claiming, but having a pity token doled out in the normal fashion would be preferred. This seems unnecessarily stingy and just another way to push people into the cash shop. Which is a terrible way to get people to spend money.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    ladygadfly wrote: »
    9/24/2015 Release Notes

How is this useful if you have 8 characters that need respecs?

Let me clarify this. It is standard practice in EVERY single MMO I've ever seen (including Champions Online!) to issue a free respec for every character whenever there is a major change to the way player powers work (ie: a major nerf).

I feel like a broken record, but there is already a system in place for this in the game's UI. When you visit the PowerHouse trainer and try to respec, you have a checkbox you can click to utilize an issued freespec token.

Why was a freespec not issued to all characters, as it has always been in the past?

This is where communication between you and your customers is once again breaking down to tragic effect. We have a sudden change to the way players have become accustomed to situations being handled and no communication as to why it's being done differently.​​
  • Options
    gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    To anyone complaining about not getting character wide free retcons:

AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Wow.. only 1-free retcon per account? Ouch!

I don't really need it. I don't build for extreme CDR.. but still ouch!

That being said. Moving the Onslaught action away from the newbie spawn point is a welcome change. Turrets seem to work fine. I did notice several OV's suicide rushing the Hermes Turrets. I have no clear idea why they were doing that? Maybe just testing the limits?

Vehicles still need addressing vs. OV's. I'm still a fan of having NTTG work properly on vehicles, as a solution.

But overall pretty good changes. Can't wait to see what the others will be.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    riverocean wrote: »
    That being said. Moving the Onslaught action away from the newbie spawn point is a welcome change. Turrets seem to work fine. I did notice several OV's suicide rushing the Hermes Turrets. I have no clear idea why they were doing that? Maybe just testing the limits?

If anything like myself, if they realise they are approaching time out on your OV (hard to judge sometimes without a visible timer) but have a fair chunk of health left, they are using the hermes to ensure heroes get their 30 tokens.​​
  • Options
    voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    riverocean wrote: »
    Wow.. only 1-free retcon per account? Ouch!

I don't really need it. I don't build for extreme CDR.. but still ouch!

I want to believe that these are just mistakes, but I know better. I know that this is just the company seeing how far they an push capitalist, anti-consumer changes before they get too much pushback. Another recent example are the new bind-to-character auras. It should never have happened, and I have this sinking feeling that they would have kept ALL of the new auras bind-to-character if they didn't get negative responses. It's become business as usual.

This is the end of freespecs. Disgusting behaviour.​​
  • Options
    I was wondering how long it'd take for the "evils of capitalism" to make its way into this discussion.

It's almost like they want to make money off their product or something.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    It's not scummy. I know scummy.
  • Options
    If you change a major game mechanic for balance reasons I don't mind that, provided that you allow folks a chance to change their characters for free after the change. That is only fair. They might have made their characters 6 years ago and you're punishing them now for an imbalance you allowed to creep into the game.
  • Options
    soniastrummsoniastrumm Posts: 16 Arc User
    Or a free Retrain. I have a gold character I'd like to unlock, thanks.
  • Options
    guyhumual said:

If you change a major game mechanic for balance reasons I don't mind that, provided that you allow folks a chance to change their characters for free after the change. That is only fair. They might have made their characters 6 years ago and you're punishing them now for an imbalance you allowed to creep into the game.

..if you made a character 6 years ago and don't have the funds for a retcon, you messed up.

It's ONLY around 400G. That's nothing nowadays.
  • Options
    yes. Because God knows you can't pay for retcons with G. OH WAIT.

You know DCUO offers retrains for InGame Currency as well? And much like here, it's cheap. So no one cares if they have to pay for one.

But the problem people are having is that they weren't given a free one as they always have been during major changes. And so your complaining is coming from a very narrow solution. You see either a free retcon or the ability to buy one with $ as the only 2 options, forgetting retcons are a wonderful G sink. And in fact, I think that's EXACTLY what they were going for with a 1 free per account. Cryptic has probably seen that the economy is in shambles and has been for too long. The Q exchange and AH are so inflated that anyone who is new and unlucky might never be able to buy anything save for some extremely cheap items. So, they're "forcing you" to use the sinks. 1000Q for an Onslaught Token is a much quicker way to get one than farming up 1000 Guardian Tokens. They want you to sink that Q. They want you to start not having excesses of Q to buy Zen with. Know why? Because it's real money, not in game money, that keeps the game afloat. So heavily encouraging you to go out and spend actual money to keep the game around is NOT scumbag. It's business. And as a community who likes to complain that the game is dying and on its last threads, you people sure don't seem like you want to fix that.

The word "entitled" gets thrown around a lot these days. And Bluegrass, it looks like the boot is fitting you like a glove.

Now excuse me, I'm gonna go eat some children.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    guyhumual said:

Well, when they nerf Con, Str, or Ego next

Technically Str and Ego are nerfed, it's called Soft cap. :neutral:
    Then throw in some Diminishing returns up the wazoo, free form or otherwise so....

Post edited by rtma on
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User

9/24/2015 Release Notes

This sucks. Now I cannot find anyone......no villains and no heroes. At least before we had a reliable spot to go fight each other. This completely messed up Onslaught...was not doable at all today.