test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Return of the Crystalline Entity

Comments

• Options
    lexers615#4253 lexers615 Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    @pottsey5g Cryptic seems to have partly learned its lesson, and how they are phasing out Weekend Tokens pleases me. However, there's a big deal or misplaced prides and narcissism involved, and even if Cryptic is clearly wrong in deleting players possessions, I doubt they'll back down as it would mean saying they did wrong, which I doubt they ever will.
  • Options
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    Anyway, I just went through my account, and here's what I have (until tomorrow):

Multidimensional Transporters: 146
    Voth Operative Transmissions: 98
    Crystal Shards: 140
    Zephram Cochrane Memorial Holograms: 4
    No offense, but the three first numbers make me wonder how the bloody cow you managed to stash so many of those?? Have you run the events since their beginning up to last year without ever putting those in a projects? The shards, for example, means having collected every single daily shards during five different events and never having cashed any. I have no idea how long those events have been going on, but it seems doubtful that you stashed so many while contributing to even a single project.

Now, if I may, what did you have in mind? It's actually a genuine questions and not some trolling metaphorical one. Were you waiting for the next event if the rewards were to be better, and maybe try to collect said event in multiple copies? Were you trying to break some records? (I've seen a screenshot of a player bank all filled with stacks of lockboxes.) Where you hoping that they would eventually be unbound to subsequently try and sell them on the exchange?
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Those numbers reflect multiple Characters holdings. If you had say 14 Characters on your Account you're talking about 10 extra or so per.

It's a good thing he counted them ahead of time as they did not provide a record in Chat of just what they deleted.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I enjoy this event. It isn't too long. It is quickly repeatable. It is interactive to keep one on their toes too.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    The way you folks are carrying on, I can't wait to see how y'all flip out when the game actually shuts down and they end up taking away EVERYTHING that's "yours".
    In a nut shell: "Class action seeking the reimbursement of any dime spent in the game plus interests and punitive damages." That will most likely mean your studio going bankrupt.

My studio?! LOL :lol:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The TOS are one of the reasons I'd give for not buying a LTS at this stage of the games life, not just for STO but for any online only game.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    rimmarie wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Actually YOU are the one who is typing in your belief...which is wrong. A TOS does NOT override local laws. EVER. It can add things in addition to local laws...but if there is a local law that says something in the TOS is illegal there...guess what, that part of the TOS is not applicable in that area. For instance, many TOS has an arbitration clause where all disputes MUST be settled by arbitration. This is because arbitration favors companies over individuals and large companies over small ones. I had to go through an arbitration where the delivery company flat out LOST two of my deliveries worth over $1000 and their reply was it was delivered...without showing ANY proof it was done so. No signature of who they "delivered" it to. No address confirmation. Arbitration sided with them. This is why in many places, forced arbitration is illegal. So if a TOS had that clause, it would not apply if you live in an area where you can't do that. In fact if a company tried to force the issue, it can lead to not just segments of the TOS but the ENTIRE TOS getting tossed out in litigation. So them deleting items that people paid money for can indeed lead to problems for them if the player is in an area with strong consumer protection...like say the EU.

I never said it overrides local laws.
    I said if he knows the TOS and still hit 'I accept', he accept the rules they set.
    Including their ability to change aspects of the game. They provided a service under set terms and he agreed to those terms.
    If they choose to end a service, they can at anytime under those terms.
    They fulfilled their part by delivering the service (they provided the tokens and a means to spend it)
    He is claiming they did not provide the service.

And I'm sorry you lost your deliveries. That kind of TRIBBLE sucks hard. Someone probably stole it off your porch. (a lot of that TRIBBLE was happening here)

IF you live in a country where the law is that digital purchases are treated the same as physical purchases...aka large parts of Europe, than what Cryptic did actually breaks local laws IF somebody bought those tokens with the cash directly. I.E. they loaded zen with cash and use that to buy the tokens. If they used zen from dil exchange or LTS produced zen, it would not count.
    I guess the legal experts at Cryptic feel confident that they act within the law.
    They could be wrong, but the idea that someone would file a suite - even a class action suite - for a 5 $ item is... questionable.

But also remember - they gave us the tokens, and they have given us the opportunity to use them. If we didn't use that opportunity, that might just be bad luck, but it could be something that a judge would not fault Cryptic for.

I imagine something comparable in the real world would be buying a bunch of gift certificates for cinema tickets - but then the cinema closes because the owner doesn't feel like it anymore.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mbaldelli02909mbaldelli02909 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    I imagine something comparable in the real world would be buying a bunch of gift certificates for cinema tickets - but then the cinema closes because the owner doesn't feel like it anymore.

We had several similar instances of this happening in my home state. The one that I remember most clearly was a restaurant that closed its doors rather suddenly after tens of thousands of dollars of gift certificates to the general populace because of it's popularity. The reason for the closing, they were going bankrupt and the monies that they collected from their gift certificates paid for their court costs so that they would end even, and not in the red.

A couple of years later a class-action was launched by the owners of those gift certificates against the restaurant to attempt to recoup the lost monies and unused gift certificates. They won the lawsuit in the local circuit courts..

Guess what? They had court costs, but the entity they were suing was dissolved and no monies were recouped.

You're right though in that Cryptic's lawyers aren't going to be scared of the thought of it going to class-action. Why? You covered it well when you said, "...They gave us the tokens, and they have given us the opportunity to use them. If we didn't use that opportunity, that might just be bad luck..."

You -- the consumers of the game -- can't sue a company for an unused coupon because of an incident in the consumer's life prevented them from utilizing it during the timespan of the event. And while there might be some sentimental value to it for the consumer, it is not protected in court even in a digital setting when it is removed from the game's central database and the end-user subsequently loses it. This I know from experience when I had to perform housekeeping for a company. There was a lot of noise, and a lot of threats, but in the end, no one's job was threatened inside or outside the company.

Please don't use Europe's consumer protection laws as possible reason to riot. Even those laws don't protect the consumers from needless lawsuit threats on expired coupons that might carry the word "currency" on them.

And you people continue to dicker after the fact, which is both charming and sad. They'll be fixing their mistake day after tomorrow (at the time of posting), and it's still going forward no matter how much cry of outrage the player base wants to perform.
  • Options
    Now I am guessing why they did not do a Token buyout for this like they are doing with the Weekend Event Tokens. Degree of scale. Weekend, they never sold and they were max of five earnable per Account per Weekend Event. Three would have been needed for the special Prize for that run.

The 14-day, you could earn 21 per Character per Event. If you unlocked the special prize you would only need 14 on one Character. I'm sure their metric reported that there was a plethora of the various Tokens laying around.

The First Day Contact Event makes NO sense for their zeal in obliterating those Zefram Cochran Memorial Statue Holograms.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    That movie ticket voucher analogy is pretty good. Buying a bundle of tickets for say Star Wars 9 but not using them while the movie is in the theater. Is the theater obligated to give you anything for them? no.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    That movie ticket voucher analogy is pretty good. Buying a bundle of tickets for say Star Wars 9 but not using them while the movie is in the theater. Is the theater obligated to give you anything for them? no.
    Maybe in your country. In my country you get your money back or you get a value coupon to use for an other movie in the same theater, if you were not able to use them.

I actually had that once. Due to illness I was not able to use the tickets I bought online on the date and missed the movie.

• Options

In in the case of movie tickets a clear date and timing is printed on the tickets when they can be used. So even in that case I got a coupon.

Regarding the tokens in STO there wasn't even an expiration date on it, like with movie tickets. They could be used every time the event returned. Now they suddenly decided you cannot use them anymore, and did not give an option to exchange them. Which is even worse then not refunding movie tickets with a clear date on it saying when only they can be used.
  • Options

Also the situation is different. In case STO, Cryptic decided to make the tokens invalid and delete them.

If a movie theater decides we are using a new kind of tickets, the old pre-ordered ones don't count anymore. People just get the new versions of the tickets in exchange. So You can still watch the movie.

In case they cancel the movie, all people get their money back.
  • Options

I can also tell you why our movie theaters give people their money back or give a replacement ticket. It is because our movie theaters are customer friendly. We have many competitive movie theaters. If one would be customer unfriendly, people would skip that one, as happened in the past and this theater went broke. Their income went down because people did spend their money elsewhere.

Also one other different is that events do not require actual physical seats to be filled, like movie theaters do. If some one skips a movie the theater risks empty seats.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    There are obligated where I live for some tickets. You buy a ticket then go to the chimera anytime you feel like it and if the show is no longer showing you use the ticket for a different show and they are obligated to let you do that as you paid for a ticket and have not used it.

It would be more like buying one of those tickets with no reference to an expiry date. Then 2 months later you get told without warning you cannot use the ticket anymore as its expired with there being no warning in the small print either.
  • Options
    totenmet wrote: »
    Maybe in your country. In my country you get your money back or you get a value coupon to use for an other movie in the same theater, if you were not able to use them.

I actually had that once. Due to illness I was not able to use the tickets I bought online on the date and missed the movie.
    It depends on the specifics of what you buy. Buying a ticket for specific film or time is different than buying a blank ticket.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Ok, for those that missed the AMA and/or haven't read that thread: Even though it was possible to save the tokens for future events, saving them was never the intended use of extra tokens.

If you think about it, this is exactly the scenario that they "corrected" with the Summer/Winter events: players stockpiling tokens for use during the next event.

Additionally, it was stated that all of the projects, tokens, etc. take up A LOT of data. That's another reason for the streamlining and deletion of tokens. It sounds like events might be moving more towards some kind of participation tracking, similar to the way the T6 Ship Coupon is tracking.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    The only 'Tickets' with an 'expiration' date we have now is the Winter, Anniversary, and Summer 'Tokens'. Clearly labeled with the Year Project they are good for. And you can use the following year's Tokens to complete a previous year's Project.

I did a sensor scan on these Crystal Shards and did not find any expiration dates on them at all. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Actually, it's heavily flawed. I'll use a similar plane ticket analogy. It has a precise clearly stated purpose and this purpose dictate an expiry date, both of which is printed on the ticket. You either use it to board said plane or lose it. Tokens never had such clear expiry date, and as they had been carried over in the past, some players were reasonable while they were thinking that those were not to vanish in a foreseeable future. Ingame, "Command credits" in the Dyson sphere expire after two hours of inactivity and it's clearly written in the item description as well as being explained in the tutorial chain mission. Same can be said about the Atlaï's weeds used to feed nanovs (nanoves? nanov?).

As I wrote earlier, Cryptic decided to phase away Weekend Event token, with a big discount and a 100 days fair warning. I'm pretty sure that's because they now realized they acted in a terrible way given they had plenty other options and there was no reason to rush.

However, I seriously doubt they'll EVER admit having been wrong in the first place nor will they fix their mistake.

On a personal note, I only lost a single token but given past projects were brought to completion for free. I can't complain. But I empathize with the ones having lost a lot without any fair warning.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Okay, I've read the AMA (what do those letter even stand for??), and there's a yes or no question that has been asked 3 times and eluded as many times and have the very same question. I've read that the discount is meant to allow people to use away their Weekend Event tokens. However, between now and the end of times, will we have one last chance to earn more tokens? Worse, I initially heard rumours that there was going to be one last Weekend event this weekend matching the discount but the announcement journal infirm it. however, in your post, you say:
    Starting on June 13th 2019 on PC, and August 8th 2019 on Xbox One and Playstation 4, every item and reward in the Weekend Event Store will be reduced in cost to a single Weekend Event Token. If you have any tokens remaining in your inventory, you may use them to your hearts’ content to buy whatever items you’d like. After this date, we will no longer be running events that give out Weekend Event Tokens – so make sure you buy the things you really want!
    [my added emphasis]

Why specify "after this date", as the last time a weekend event was held was in February? I believe that's why people are expecting one last Weekend event, as this phrase could be interpreted as one will be held between June 13th and August 8th. That's why it was clearly asked as a yes or no question, and leaving it unanswered means we'll have to wait and see what it meant.
  • Options
    Here's a thought for a new 'Token-kess' Weekend Event Bonus Endeavor Weekend. All Endeavors give twice the normal Endeavor XP.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Actually, it's heavily flawed. I'll use a similar plane ticket analogy. It has a precise clearly stated purpose and this purpose dictate an expiry date, both of which is printed on the ticket. You either use it to board said plane or lose it. Tokens never had such clear expiry date, and as they had been carried over in the past, some players were reasonable while they were thinking that those were not to vanish in a foreseeable future.
    Actually the tokens had a clearly defined purpose. That purpose NEVER included "save extras for later". It's true this isn't listed on the token itself. But it's listed in the event projects and descriptions of the event. "Collect 14... get this thing!" Never any mention of saving for later.
    Why specify "after this date", as the last time a weekend event was held was in February? I believe that's why people are expecting one last Weekend event, as this phrase could be interpreted as one will be held between June 13th and August 8th. That's why it was clearly asked as a yes or no question, and leaving it unanswered means we'll have to wait and see what it meant.
    I think you're reading between the lines too hard. What do you think they mean by "this date"? To me it makes sense to interpret "this date" as the date of posting the blog.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Actually, it's heavily flawed. I'll use a similar plane ticket analogy. It has a precise clearly stated purpose and this purpose dictate an expiry date, both of which is printed on the ticket. You either use it to board said plane or lose it. Tokens never had such clear expiry date, and as they had been carried over in the past, some players were reasonable while they were thinking that those were not to vanish in a foreseeable future.
    Actually the tokens had a clearly defined purpose. That purpose NEVER included "save extras for later". It's true this isn't listed on the token itself. But it's listed in the event projects and descriptions of the event. "Collect 14... get this thing!" Never any mention of saving for later.

No you are wrong. After having collected 14 tokens and finalizing the event, it was still possible to collect tokens. So the purpose was not just collect 14 to finalize the current event.

If the purpose just was collect 14 to finish the event then it should not have been possible to earn more tokens once you had finished the event, and earn more then 14 tokens.

Also the event is reoccurring and same tokens could be used during occurrences, until Cryptic suddenly decided to delete our saved tokens without any compensation. Instead they overcompensated people who did not have tokens but just had the unfinished event project slotted, by fully rewarding it as completed.

It is just wrong to not compensate people when items get removed but overcompensate people without items (event tokens)

PS: You @markhawkman could have known all this by reading the previous posts in this topic before using this flawed argumentation again. The flaw in your/this argumentation was already pointed out before.
  • Options
    totenmet wrote: »
    No you are wrong. After having collected 14 tokens and finalizing the event, it was still possible to collect tokens. So the purpose was not just collect 14 to finalize the current event.

If the purpose just was collect 14 to finish the event then it should not have been possible to earn more tokens once you had finished the event, and earn more then 14 tokens.

Also the event is reoccurring and same tokens could be used during occurrences, until Cryptic suddenly decided to delete our saved tokens without any compensation. Instead they overcompensated people who did not have tokens but just had the unfinished event project slotted, by fully rewarding it as completed.

It is just wrong to not compensate people when items get removed but overcompensate people without items (event tokens)

PS: You @markhawkman could have known all this by reading the previous posts in this topic before using this flawed argumentation again. The flaw in your/this argumentation was already pointed out before.
    You say my argument is flawed, but based on an invalid assumption.

You're assuming that the currency was MEANT to be stockpile-able based on nothing but the fact you could get extras and the devs were too nice to delete those extras. However those extras have always had a use defined by the devs.... turn them in for bonus dil and marks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    This circular argument really needs to stop, because it's going nowhere. The devs have already stated that saving the tokens for future events was never intended. Any extra tokens that players chose to earn were offered compensation with the extra event project at the time of the event. Those of us that chose to hold onto them for future events instead, gambled and lost. It's said and done. Arguing about it now is moot.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    There is no reasoning with those who accuse others of hoarding, even those with only a few 'Tokens' that were leftover.

These were ubiquitous 'Tokens' for their respective Event. PERIOD. When the Summer, Winter, and Anniversary Event 'Tokens', became non-ubiquitous they had a Store to let you convert them to something. Now that the Weekend Event Tokens are being put out to pasture they are letting you spend them for stuff with 'deep' discounts.

One week notice for the 14-day/First Contact Day Event 'Tokens' and a vaporization outcome. No Livestream or explanation.

Weekend Event has over six weeks notice and a non-vaporization alternative remedy. A Livestream and explanation. Someone 'scr*wed the pooch' on the other.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »
    One week notice for the 14-day/First Contact Day Event 'Tokens' and a vaporization outcome. No Livestream or explanation.
    It was discussed on a livestream. Those of us who actually watched that livestream had the opportunity to post questions in chat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
This discussion has been closed.