test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Return of the Crystalline Entity

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That's why they are making a unified Token and selling it.

They sell those TFO Commendations each and every Featured TFO Event, how is that not allowing one to skip things? Argument is specious at best.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    totenmettotenmet Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    It all comes down to intent.

What was your intent when you slotted the event project; obviously to get the reward.

What was your intent by not slotting the event project and holding on to the tokens; the idea that you might (and let’s stress that word here, might) be able to use them on a future event project without having to take part in the event itself. Wham-bam, you have the current event reward without having to take part in the actual event to get it, because you “saved” (horded) tokens from past events.

Question; Is that fair? Well… I think there is a little ambiguity with that. It could be viewed as a way to take advantage of in-game mechanics to get an event reward without working for it. On the other hand, if you don’t want that event reward shouldn’t you have the option to save them? Of course, if you don’t want that particular reward, why take part in the event in the first place?

This is why I chose to use the word intent with this two-cent comment. And I think this is why Cryptic have chosen (wisely) to act as they have.

A player who has slotted the event intended to take part in the event to get the reward.

A player who has saved the tokens and has not slotted the event has other intentions. The intent to save the tokens to get a future reward that has not been specified, agreed to, or even (and this important as well) guaranteed by Cryptic.

Cryptic has drawn a line and asked the very important question; what was the players intention?

If the intent was to get the event reward, that can clearly be seen and quantified by the fact the player slotted the event. What cannot be easily quantified is why some players chose not to slot the event and saved reward tokens. Those players cannot prove they ever intended to use them or what reward they intended to use them for.

The only other way Cryptic could handle this fairly would be to look at each individual player account and see what event projects they have slotted (if any) what tokens they have stashed in their inventories (if any) and make a case-by-case decision. The people-hours involved in doing it that way… No, we wouldn’t see any more new content this side of 2020. Plus, I have no doubt that if they did it that way, some people would still complain.

Anyway, just my two-cents. I stand to gain nothing from this. I stand to lose nothing either. Personally, if I like the event reward, I slot the event and apply the tokens as I get them. Saves on taking up space in the inventory. If I don’t like or want the event reward, I don’t slot the event or collect the tokens.

Read the rest of the post in this topic. many people already answered why they stockpiled event marks.

In short: because some knew they could not finish the event in time (but also for others reasons, read posts in this topic). And used them in the next possible time. Hence did not start the event and only collected some event tokens. Which has been possible for as long as six years now, until now it suddenly changes.
  • Options
    madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    > @totenmet said:
    >
    > Read the rest of the post in this topic. many people already answered why they stockpiled event marks.
    >
    > In short: because some knew they could not finish the event in time (but also for others reasons, read posts in this topic). And used them in the next possible time. Hence did not start the event and only collected some event tokens. Which has been possible for as long as six years now, until now it suddenly changes.

Thank you, I have read the thread and the various posts. I understand the points being raised. I offered my own thoughts and two-cents on Cryptics decision making. Like them, don't like them. But don't be condescending.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yes, they need to get rid of the old ones, the sticking point is HOW.

I have 41 TFO Commendations on my Discovery Character, which gives me quite a bit of flexibility for the future.

Given the Voth Operative Transmissions and Zefram Cochran Memorial Statues, can I trust that future?

Slot your 14 day projects... slot your per day projects after and you will never have a stockpile to worry about. Otherwise your just holding things to skip things later. Why should they reward that.
    totenmet wrote: »
    husanakx wrote: »
    The first ever TFO C-Store Bundle was the Voth Operative Transmissions last September for Breach. The Zefram Cochran Memorial Statue was sold TWO MONTHS ago in the C-Store in a different type of Bundle. And they are deleting those as well.

The First Contact Day Event is not a 14-Day featured TFO which is what this change was primarily about. Again, this is another C-Store bought item that is being unceremoniously DESTROYED.

TWO MONTHS AGO they sold the Bundle and they are not needed anymore? It makes you wonder if these people have a clue of where things are going from one month to the next.

Of course no one was PRE buying these things to stockpile.

I would wager most people that bought a pack with 10 voth tokens used 10 voth tokens to complete their mission. Same for the first contact stuff.. No one bought them to stockpile them.

So worse case people have a couple of either in their inventories.

Its not like Crytpic is deleting lobi or something. If someone has 10+ of the voth tokens they didn't come from the zen store. I doubt many people that paid to finish their project and had a couple left over voth tokens cares much.

Nonsense. How do you know what all other people do?

I for example also buy ZEN in advance and Key's etc. Preferably when they have some kind of price reduction. Even if I do not need something at that time, and even without knowing in advance if Cryptic will release something in the future I will use ZEN or Keys for. I would also be angry if I they would change something that would make ZEN or Keys useless, without compensating me for that loss.

Same goes for event tokens etc. If some one writes he or she buy's those, who am I to doubt that? And who are you to doubt that?

If people where buying event completion packs from the zen store when they didn't need them... >.<

Having said that... again Cryptic doesn't need to reward everyone else that got them free from an event they already completed. They can simply go through the zen store history and refund those that would have bought full 10 packs of tokens with no current use. (if any such people are real which I doubt highly)

(Insulting language removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User

I have 41 TFO Commendations on my Discovery Character, which gives me quite a bit of flexibility for the future.

Given the Voth Operative Transmissions and Zefram Cochran Memorial Statues, can I trust that future?

Slot your 14 day projects... slot your per day projects after and you will never have a stockpile to worry about. Otherwise your just holding things to skip things later. Why should they reward that.

Maybe you talk different when some one deletes all your items not currently in use. Delete stockpiled weapons and ship items you are not using directly on a ship. Delete materials you not immediately use in R&D. Delete stockpiled credits you do not immediately use. Delete salvage points not used immediately. Etc etc.

Stockpiling is a part of this game.

People grind, to have items, materials etc to use at a later moment. So it is only logical that some people also stockpile tokens.
    Simply deleting items without compensation should not be done.

All of the things you listed have use in the game. They are not deleting reputation marks... or weapons or items of any kind.

They are deleting event tokens which HAD value during those events. People held them thinking those events might come back... they had ZERO value between events. They are worthless.

The only logical argument anyone has made, is the zen store purchased ones. Which I am willing to believe some people have a small handful of (less then 10) as I refuse to believe anyone was stupid enough to buy multiple zen store packs of event tokens. For those people Crytpic can refund spent zen... no need to reward 100s of players speculatively hording them in game.
  • Options
    > @totenmet said:
    >
    > Read the rest of the post in this topic. many people already answered why they stockpiled event marks.
    >
    > In short: because some knew they could not finish the event in time (but also for others reasons, read posts in this topic). And used them in the next possible time. Hence did not start the event and only collected some event tokens. Which has been possible for as long as six years now, until now it suddenly changes.

Thank you, I have read the thread and the various posts. I understand the points being raised. I offered my own thoughts and two-cents on Cryptics decision making. Like them, don't like them. But don't be condescending.

I do not know you, so i cannot be condescending. We are all equal so no need to feel like that. I just want to answer and explain. All thoughts are of course welcome. Else there would be no fora.
  • Options
    For crying out loud, people slotted the Main Project and got the Reward and got more Tokens after that by running the Event beyond the 14 Days. They may not have wanted the Daily BONUS.

Compare this language in the New Crystalline Announcement and that for the Operation Riposte Featured TFO, etc:

'Any CHARACTER who finishes the 14 day project will unlock a bonus project that can be completed with a single TFO Commendation. This project will reward dilithium ore, fleet marks, and a mark choice package.'
    (Emphasis Mine)

With this from last September's Breach Event:

'BONUS! Once the new main reputation project is complete, a brand-new bonus Voth Operative Transmission project will become available to slot. Completing this will earn players 2,000 Dilithium Ore, 50 Fleet Marks, and 35 Marks of their choice.'

Do these Dailies now require that each Character run through the Main Event Project, before they can do the Bonus Dailies? Or is it simply the typical sloppy wording we get?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    Something else that occurred to me overnight was situations that could occur that would mean a buyback store would be a bad idea.

Take 2 people who played several of the events on most of the available days...one has 20 or so tokens and the other used their tokens on projects every day.

The person with the leftover tokens slotted some projects but decided not to fill them. They would now be in the position of getting both autocompletions and having currency to trade in, while the other person who expended equal effort does not.

As for cancelling in-progress projects, that's pretty much the definition of unfair, since those folks made a demonstrable effort and indicated interest in an item, while folks with stored tokens are indicating that they either have everything they want or that they don't want to that item while it was on offer.
  • Options

Maybe you talk different when some one deletes all your items not currently in use. Delete stockpiled weapons and ship items you are not using directly on a ship. Delete materials you not immediately use in R&D. Delete stockpiled credits you do not immediately use. Delete salvage points not used immediately. Etc etc.

Stockpiling is a part of this game.

People grind, to have items, materials etc to use at a later moment. So it is only logical that some people also stockpile tokens.
    Simply deleting items without compensation should not be done.

All of the things you listed have use in the game. They are not deleting reputation marks... or weapons or items of any kind.

They are deleting event tokens which HAD value during those events. People held them thinking those events might come back... they had ZERO value between events. They are worthless.

The only logical argument anyone has made, is the zen store purchased ones. Which I am willing to believe some people have a small handful of (less then 10) as I refuse to believe anyone was stupid enough to buy multiple zen store packs of event tokens. For those people Crytpic can refund spent zen... no need to reward 100s of players speculatively hording them in game.

Sure event tokens cannot be used during certain periods because Cryptic did not allow them to be used or exchanged after the event, till the next event were they could be used again. So people did not dismiss them form their inventory, because they have value and use when the event re-occurred. The fact that items cannot be used at certain time periods does not mean they are were worth nothing. If that (these items being worthless) would be the case no so many would have kept them.

Now all of the sudden Cryptic decides you cannot use these tokens anymore at all and is going to delete them. Fair would be if players could exchange those dismissed items for something else or into the new tokes to be used for events.

Fact is that players could buy these items for real money. So they have value.
  • Options
    exiledhermit#3227 exiledhermit Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Players didn't "hoard" tokens by allocating them to the project. They used/spent them for their intended purpose. Hoarding is keeping them in inventory and not using them. Why anyone would do this is beyond me, but apparently it happens. The secondary projects were put in place to encourage players NOT to hoard them. Obviously, players did stockpile extra tokens to apply towards the next project. I'm guilty of this as well. But there was never a guarantee that said tokens wouldn't be retired. This was previously done with the Summer/Winter event ships, so I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised that it would happen again.

Those that slotted the PROJECT will get rewarded regardless of whether they spent or even earned a token or not. If this is you, congratulations. Those that hoarded tokens but didn't slot projects will be the unfortunate ones, though. If this is you, my condolences.

I sometimes think this Community Moderator is as sarcastic & rude as some of the forum posters that get moderated, but with this complete statement it is contrite, precise, courteous, & professional while covering all the bases. I'm still a bit shocked, but very appreciative, for the approach Cryptic took towards this transition. I don't think Cryptic has always done this auto-completing in the past & it is a method more beneficial towards players, imo, while changing a gaming mechanic which should be applauded.
  • Options
    Gumby here, I purchase the TFO Commendation Bundle every Event. I will probably do so tomorrow as well. Remember it comes with an Ultimate Upgrade and now with T6 Advancement.

https://youtu.be/Ve2iAxzXFPE
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    ????
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    So deletion of items with no compensation then, got it. Cleared that up. Thanks.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    They've done it again.

https://youtu.be/f1HIQqVBx20
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I'm not going to get into telling others that they shouldn't be getting something that Cryptic will be giving them (e.g., full compensation for slotted Projects with no Tokens allocated). Good for them. I would not begrudge them anything. Then again, I'm not a contrarian for contrarians sake either.

https://youtu.be/2Yq3JuKY2kQ
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    lexers615#4253 lexers615 Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    Serious question... did they EVER sell crystal shards ? To my remembering they only ever sold the new TFO tokens which are not being deleted. Perhaps I am miss remembering and they did sell voth tokens or something... I can't remember.
    I don't know about shards, but they did sell Voth Comms token in a very similar bundle as they do for the FTFO tokens. Meaning each Voth token is arguably worth between $1 and $2 after taking out the value of the upgrade module (which I'd be happy to purchase 10 at $5 apiece!)

• Options
    lexers615#4253 lexers615 Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    That's why they are making a unified Token and selling it.

They sell those TFO Commendations each and every Featured TFO Event, how is that not allowing one to skip things? Argument is specious at best.
    Unified tokens don't make much sense for special events. Replacing Summer Event Favours by FTFO tokens? Winter event tokens by FTFO tokens? FTFO tokens by 1st Contact Day? Special Event would loose their uniqueness.

I have no problems into converting unique tokens into FTFO tokens or GPL via some trader NPC or console or via a Special Project, but definitely not the other way around.

This said, I asked a specific on-topic question to the staff, and my question has been buried under 4 pages of argument in less than 18 hours. In other words there's no way I'm getting a proper response as they can't read reasonably assign someone full time to read 8 players generously arguing with each others. The update is kicking in in 12 hours and right now the Devs went to whatever they call home and it's doubtful they can change anything in time, assuming they do read your comments.
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    We have two cases:
    1. Someone slotted a project with plans to use it in the future.
    2. Someone saved tokens with plans to use it in the future.

In the first case cryptic will give a compensation. In second case - not. As for me, these two cases are very similar between each other exept that in the second case you had to spend a time for aquiring tokens. So why in the first case people will get a compensation and in the second - not?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    > @lexers615#4253 said:
    > This said, I asked a specific on-topic question to the staff, and my question has been buried under 4 pages of argument in less than 18 hours. In other words there's no way I'm getting a proper response as they can't read reasonably assign someone full time to read 8 players generously arguing with each others. The update is kicking in in 12 hours and right now the Devs went to whatever they call home and it's doubtful they can change anything in time, assuming they do read your comments.

The Unified Tokens are not meant for the Winter, Summer, or Anniversary only for Featured TFO Events. Those Events give away an Account Unlock T6 Ship. They would never let an accumulable Token be used for that purpose. What I said should not be construed to apply at all to these special Events.

As far as the questions you posed upstream, we answered them. It will not be Nakura only it will be Choice Marks (Discovery Marks may not be there, however). That is the way the Crystalline Event always worked.

As to your other question, other than TFO Commendations, they only sold Bundles of Voth Operative Transmissions for last year's Breach, and Zefram Cochran Memorial Statues for the First Contact Event.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    New take on this Announcement:

First Contact Day and Kobayashi Maru NEVER had a 14 Day Event and do not belong in this list. This Announcement seems not to have been corrected after it was decided late last week to not deal with the Weekend Event 'Tokens' until later in the Summer.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    mbaldelli02909mbaldelli02909 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    We have two cases:
    1. Someone slotted a project with plans to use it in the future.
    2. Someone saved tokens with plans to use it in the future.

In the first case cryptic will give a compensation. In second case - not. As for me, these two cases are very similar between each other exept that in the second case you had to spend a time for aquiring tokens. So why in the first case people will get a compensation and in the second - not?

Potential batch scripting mishaps. It's easier to complete a project in an unfinished state than to kill it for the end account to get nothing. This can be especially disastrous if Cryptic chooses to perform this during another running event (DE did it with Warframe and they had to reverse the damage in doing so. And some of the people never got anything back after the batch script was run to kill it.)

As for the items sitting in inventory, it's easier to delete in a nothing state. I experienced that in Warframe as well when DE removed the Snipetron from the game (and my inventory) back in 2014. Sure they brought it back, but it was nothing like the original which was insanely OP at the time.
  • Options
    alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    I have a little inquiry about this event...

What Reputation Marks (not event tokens) will be available? Will we have the ability to choose from any of the present reps or are we going to be limited to two or three like we are in the TFOs?
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User

What Reputation Marks (not event tokens) will be available? Will we have the ability to choose from any of the present reps or are we going to be limited to two or three like we are in the TFOs?

Special events always have a choice of marks box. The only question is whether the Discovery one will be included.
    My wager, since this isn't a DSC related TFO, is no.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Forced theft from someone, especially via deletion is wrong. Considering that no compensation for the items being taken from players is even being offered. Even more glaringly if some of those player spent cash to zen to purchase those items. Make no mistake, as this is exactly what is happening. If something is worthless, let the players decide that for themselves and destroy it accordingly, or let them decide if it has value, whether as a collector's item, or to save for the next event. I certainly won't appreciate someone going through my bank or backpack, and just yanking something out that I put time and resources into acquiring. It puts a bad taste in my mouth, sets a dangerous precedent, and shatters trust. I wonder what will be pulled next from players who own them. Sponsorship tokens that some players fashioned? The old Fleet Andorian Phaser weapons that some players acquired before the retiring of the weapons? The old Wide Arc DHCs that had the [Arc] mod baked in without taking up a mod slot, that some players have and use?

Why do people "hoard, packrat, or stockpile" things such as this? It's their business, nobody else's, as long as it harms nobody. Let them do so if they want. As for me, I stockpiled for future events, so that I can gain the item on day 1 of said future event(even dumping the zen for the Voth widget bundle), and take it for a spin, to make sure that it works right, and pass on the info to fleet members or friends. Because planning ahead shouldn't be a bad thing.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User

Every time an event comes up, the reputation marks are choice from present reputations in most cases. Mirror Invasion, Crystal Cataclysm, Voth Breach Event, Red Alerts. You'll get to pick that which you're wanting. I would say that enough time has passed, to where the Discovery marks can be added to the choices. That makes...14 choices you can rummage through?
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »

Every time an event comes up, the reputation marks are choice from present reputations in most cases. Mirror Invasion, Crystal Cataclysm, Voth Breach Event, Red Alerts. You'll get to pick that which you're wanting. I would say that enough time has passed, to where the Discovery marks can be added to the choices. That makes...14 choices you can rummage through?

I highly doubt it, the first event after a new rep never has the new rep marks.

Anyway, I just went through my account, and here's what I have (until tomorrow):

Multidimensional Transporters: 146
    Voth Operative Transmissions: 98
    Crystal Shards: 140
    Zephram Cochrane Memorial Holograms: 4
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    tahnalostahnalos Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    Another thing that is not being considered here: I bought a pack of the old Voth Operative Transmissions from the Zen store after the Voth event with every intent on using them once they reintroduced the Breach event. Now they are basically less than worthless, and I blew through 1000 zen to pay for the pack.

So yes, literally, I am being robbed.
    Fleet Affiliations:
    FED: Royal Federation Mounted Starfleet: SB3, TAC3, ENG3, SCI3, Win, Int, DOff(T/E/S/B)
    KDF: Parliamentary Klingon Empire: SB2, TAC2, ENG2, SCI2, Win, DOff(T)

Interested in joining? Please send a PM to @Tahna_Los.
This discussion has been closed.