test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I wonder how the new post-TNG series will effect STO's story?

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Little Kim? That's 'Little Rocket Man' to you, Sir!!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    But that's not the same tech base, Mark. Unless you're suggesting that the Federation was losing a war to people who can't build equivalent starships nor have equivalent understanding of technology. Little Kim's regime is stuck in the 1950s, it's 2018, and put bluntly, the Klingons were the ones doing expeditionary force on the Federation, not the other way around, so you can't even use the basic defensive fighting ratio or hollywood 'guerilla taktix" to explain it.
    You're missing one key thing: tech research IRL AND in Star Trek isn't as simple as "spend X hours researching the topic". As many people have said over the years "there's more than one way to do it", and Klingon tech uses mechanical principles different enough from Fed Tech that parts from one aren't necessarily compatible with the other, and require different manufacturing processes to make. Different enough that it'd take them years to figure out how to build a duplicate of the Discovery even if they captured it intact.

When has this been discussed in canon? Well, one EP of TNG mentioned that the alloys used in Klingon ship hulls aren't the same as Fed ships. ST4 had a plot point about how the slingshot time travel maneuver would cause the dilithium crystals to overload and crack, when a Fed ship didn't have that problem. DS9 continued the plot point by stating that Klingon ships systems had an inherent resistance to the Breen energy dampener since the power relays were built differently.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    and then there's the fact that, 14 years after capturing the narada, the klingons were no closer to getting anything more than minors bits of tech out of it

of course, that's more to do with it being more than 100 years newer and also mainly of a tech design that is unfamiliar to most even from the late 24th century (borg)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    reafis wrote: »
    When I saw this I couldn't help think 2 things.

1)Sir Patrick Stewarts performance in Logan

2) The portrayal of Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi.

I very strongly suspect that we are going to have a"last jedi/logan" picard for the first few episodes. This will probably go down worse than discovery did with some fans.

Personally I hope they do, because it will make Picard even better than he already is.

Personally, I hope Patrick Stewart would portray Picard closer to Director Bullock in American Dad rather than Professor X in Logan. For a couple of years, I have wanted someone to create a video of TNG with all of Picard's lines replaced with dialogue from Director Bullock.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    how do you think this will effect the storyline STO has already made for itself? If the show writers decide to go in a completely different direction, will this game's story be changed to mesh with canon or left in conflict?

When CBS says jump, Cryptic says how high.
    But Cryptic doesn't have the manpower to retcon everything they've done so very little old stuff would change, imo. But any new content would conflict with the old stuff and we'd just have to live with it.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Not to worry CBS is going to retcon everything from TNG to fit the new "proper" timeline.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I'd laugh if Picard came out on a wheel chair recruiting Star Fleet Cadets in to a school for "gifted" Starfleet youngsters.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    which is incredibly bad writing.
    This suggestion gets my vote for the disparity displayed by Klingon actions, culture and technology.
  • Options
    redvenge wrote: »
    This suggestion gets my vote for the disparity displayed by Klingon actions, culture and technology.
    Well, the space barbarian trope is generally illogical, but it's rather popular in sci-fi. It only works if you have a separation between the people who use tech and those who build it. It's more about the race's mindset than their tech base though. So some of them use tech that's actually creative and innovative, but it's makers treat it like cobbled together junk. Klingons... most of them seem to only half-way understand how the tech they use works.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Well, the space barbarian trope is generally illogical, but it's rather popular in sci-fi. It only works if you have a separation between the people who use tech and those who build it. It's more about the race's mindset than their tech base though. So some of them use tech that's actually creative and innovative, but it's makers treat it like cobbled together junk. Klingons... most of them seem to only half-way understand how the tech they use works.

considering that less than ten percent of tech-users in the real world have the faintest CLUE how their tech works, that puts the Klingons significantly ahead.

I saw a documentary once, stating that every US submarine Captain needs to know every part of his ship by heart, and what it does -- over a million of them (Sic!) The training for UK is also very strict, but don't require them to know literally every part.

Long story short: we're not talking about men in the street, but starship Captains. For Klingons to be even remotely believable, their Captains would also need to possess very detailed knowledge about their ships. At the very least their Engineers.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

considering that less than ten percent of tech-users in the real world have the faintest CLUE how their tech works, that puts the Klingons significantly ahead.

I saw a documentary once, stating that every US submarine Captain needs to know every part of his ship by heart, and what it does -- over a million of them (Sic!) The training for UK is also very strict, but don't require them to know literally every part.

Long story short: we're not talking about men in the street, but starship Captains. For Klingons to be even remotely believable, their Captains would also need to possess very detailed knowledge about their ships. At the very least their Engineers.

the ability to cram for exams doesn't equate to the ability to make use of (or retain) that knowledge beyond the most basic user-level details one runs into day-to-day.

IOW just because someone can explain the theory of how an internal combustion engine works,doesn't equate to them being any good at all in doing a tune-up on their car

All very true. But the rationale behind submarine Captains needing to know what literally every part of their ship does, I think was so they can make proper Command decisions, knowing not just what to expect of their men, but also of the ship parts. And that makes sense, even when I doubt they'd actually go below deck and fix the engine themselves.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    and that's not even between series, so much as within the series themselves. Everything from a Klingon Lieutenant who can assemble a disruptor from parts and threaten the warp core of the NCC-1701D (all while being socially adept enough to con Starfleet's professional security people into utter complacency) to oafs that can barely count past their fingers.
    TNG: Heart of Glory, you're misremembering. Those two were pirates who were such pathetic warriors that they stole a TALARIAN freighter and had to be rescued from it's destruction by the Enterprise. The disruptor pistol wasn't cobbled together. It was custom built to be hidden as part of their uniforms. Oh and the "security personnel" they conned was WORF.
    the 'fun' part of Klingons is their nested contradictions. In some of the portrayals it almost suggests that they're doing something similar to the vulcans-Vulcanoids are radically emotional people who embraced a structural logic system to avoid extinction at their own hands. What if Klingons adopted a chaotic society because it's the only 'check' on their natural technical inclinations out of, say, fear of creating something they can't control?

Consider that the Breen energy sap weapon was created to hit everyone and failed against Klingon engineering because it is really different (yet relies on the same principles and operating concepts that the Federation does).

it could possibly be that Klingons are so technologically talented that the REAL reason someone like Kurak doesn't get 'any respect' is because what she's doing is taking the easy way out.
    Um.... no. Kurak's specialty was experimental R&D. She was one of the people assisting Jo'Bril with building a functional metaphasic shield. So if experimental R&D is the "easy way" then what's the hard way?

IF your average Klingon actually had amazing technical skills, it wouldn't have been blind luck that kept the Breen from disabling their ships with the energy dampener. Which yes, it was because Klingon power relays weren't actually the same technology as those used by their allies. Not because it's better, just because it's what they had laying around. (I personally favor the theory that Klingon technological development was artificially advanced by the Hur'q invasion. It does a lot to explain why their stuff is made out of weird materials that other races don't use.)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    steaen wrote: »
    One interesting factor for me how they deal with the Enterprise - it may very well not be the focal point of whatever we're getting, but you just know that an Enterprise of some kind will turn up somewhere in the equation.

Nemesis took place in 2379, this new series is to be set circa 20 years later (so 2399 or thereabouts).

Current canon as I understand it, albeit 'soft canon' from the books, is that Data took command of the E until it was lost in mysterious circumstances at some point before 2409, at which point it was replaced (in the STO storyline at least) by the Odyssey Class Enterprise-F with which we are all familiar.

It'll be interesting to see how that series of events is dealt with in the new show - if the Enterprise is referenced, will they still have it that the E is out there somewhere (hello, Brent Spiner cameo), or will they think "new show, new Enterprise" and give us an official, on screen Enterprise-F? If they take the latter option, would they use the Oddy, or come up with something else entirely?

I would surmise that if the Enterprise-F is mentioned in the new series, it will remain the Odyssey-class that we have come to know. The reason being is that most--if not all--content in STO must be approved by CBS in some fashion before it can go live, not the least of which would be the Enterprise. CBS approved the Odyssey design for the Enterprise-F once and I personally see no reason why they would not do so again.

According to the soft cannon of STO, the U.S.S. Odyssey NX-95000 launched either in December of 2408, or spring of 2409. It seems unlikely that the new Picard series would go for that long if it is initially set in 2399. My personal take on it is that if (and I stress the IF ) the Enterprise-F is seen in the series, it will a quick fan service flyby in the pilot at Utopia Planitia with the ship under construction, probably with Picard on his way to different ship, maybe the Enterprise-E finishing a refit or some such.

While I, as many fans do, would want the Odyssey-class Enterprise-F be made canon, it most likely will never happen.
    CBS' paradigm is their agenda, and 'concerns' over 'brand confusion' is first and foremost to them; not the wishes of the fans.
    Furthermore using a fan-created design has a host of legal issues, which they'd rather not have to bother with.

Thank God for auto-save! (computer crashed as I was making this post)

I do hope the series is good and does well. If it is a success, then that improves the odds of other Trek projects getting green-lit.
    I personally hope for a series with Robert Beltran as Captain Chakotay! He was my favorite character om VOY, despite getting sidelined for Janeway, Seven and the Doctor. That is one I really would like to see.
    Tact/Commd. Holographic Cadet Picard BOFF as a tie in plz

Only if it is the TNG Cadet Picard WITH HAIR. I still hate the moronic retcon from Nemesis. Talk about dropping the ball!
    At least one episode hade that flashback to a younger Picard with hair, and that one with Q in which he was back in is Cadet Self, and they directly referenced his hair (and maybe had a young actor as his youthful reflection? Been a while, must see it again...)
    Also wouldn't mind a Mirror Stargazer. ;)
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • Options
    and that's not even between series, so much as within the series themselves. Everything from a Klingon Lieutenant who can assemble a disruptor from parts and threaten the warp core of the NCC-1701D (all while being socially adept enough to con Starfleet's professional security people into utter complacency) to oafs that can barely count past their fingers.
    TNG: Heart of Glory, you're misremembering. Those two were pirates who were such pathetic warriors that they stole a TALARIAN freighter and had to be rescued from it's destruction by the Enterprise. The disruptor pistol wasn't cobbled together. It was custom built to be hidden as part of their uniforms. Oh and the "security personnel" they conned was WORF.
    the 'fun' part of Klingons is their nested contradictions. In some of the portrayals it almost suggests that they're doing something similar to the vulcans-Vulcanoids are radically emotional people who embraced a structural logic system to avoid extinction at their own hands. What if Klingons adopted a chaotic society because it's the only 'check' on their natural technical inclinations out of, say, fear of creating something they can't control?

Consider that the Breen energy sap weapon was created to hit everyone and failed against Klingon engineering because it is really different (yet relies on the same principles and operating concepts that the Federation does).

it could possibly be that Klingons are so technologically talented that the REAL reason someone like Kurak doesn't get 'any respect' is because what she's doing is taking the easy way out.
    Um.... no. Kurak's specialty was experimental R&D. She was one of the people assisting Jo'Bril with building a functional metaphasic shield. So if experimental R&D is the "easy way" then what's the hard way?

IF your average Klingon actually had amazing technical skills, it wouldn't have been blind luck that kept the Breen from disabling their ships with the energy dampener. Which yes, it was because Klingon power relays weren't actually the same technology as those used by their allies. Not because it's better, just because it's what they had laying around. (I personally favor the theory that Klingon technological development was artificially advanced by the Hur'q invasion. It does a lot to explain why their stuff is made out of weird materials that other races don't use.)
    "the hard way"? how about "Hey, Y'all, hold my beer and watch this!!" (that was me being funny, Mark.)

more seriously now, in modern society there are 10,000 people who Want to be famous artists/writers/etc. for every one that can make an actual living at it. Consider the potential of a civilization where there are 10,000 people trying to be a researcher for every one that actually does something radical enough to be notable.

you end up with the same sort of social split, where the failures are viewed as 'slackers' and even the respected ones are kind of seen as 'advanced hobbyists' instead of treated with genuine respect. If technical ability/talent is dirt common, it's not going to draw the same respect it gets in societies where it's rare.
    Right... So how many Klingons have the technical skills required to design a Metaphasic shield? Kurak is the only one I've seen. Unless you expect people to believe Klingons CHOOSE not to use them on their entire space navy? Yeah, the key flaw with your idea is that most Klingons seen on screen do NOT demonstrate they have Kurak's level of technical ability. Ponder this: if Kurak is a failure then what would the successes be? Kurak's Metaphasic shield research was SUCCESSFUL. What sort of technical accomplishments would need to be the norm for that type of research to be a mark of shame?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Kind of goes back ot my original point: Kurak's statements were Personal. I posited the 'technical geniuses' angle to explain how your idea (That Klingons mistreat their scientists) as the best explanation for how they could have an interstellar navy, and interstellar empire...at all.
    Did you watch the episode at all? The scientists chosen for that collaborative project were chosen because they were brighter than their peers. And yeah, they do pretty much spell out in the episode that DESPITE being smarter than her peers she still didn't get respect from most Klingons. Why? because "warriors" thought they were more honorable than scientists. The in-universe explanation is that the majority of Klingon tech is CENTURIES old, and major tech developments are few and far between. Much of the development was done by guys like T'Kuvma whose ambition spurred them out of complacency. Why? Much like the Cardassians it's an arms race... when they feel like researching.

Why hasn't the Empire fallen apart yet? I would have to argue that it HAS, and that we're looking at the pieces of it. Their society has been shown in canon to have undergone major upheavals during the time period of the TV shows. Add to that the constant infighting between Houses and it's pretty easy to see why so many Klingon leaders focus on racial unity.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Kind of goes back ot my original point: Kurak's statements were Personal. I posited the 'technical geniuses' angle to explain how your idea (That Klingons mistreat their scientists) as the best explanation for how they could have an interstellar navy, and interstellar empire...at all.
    Did you watch the episode at all? The scientists chosen for that collaborative project were chosen because they were brighter than their peers. And yeah, they do pretty much spell out in the episode that DESPITE being smarter than her peers she still didn't get respect from most Klingons. Why? because "warriors" thought they were more honorable than scientists. The in-universe explanation is that the majority of Klingon tech is CENTURIES old, and major tech developments are few and far between. Much of the development was done by guys like T'Kuvma whose ambition spurred them out of complacency. Why? Much like the Cardassians it's an arms race... when they feel like researching.

Why hasn't the Empire fallen apart yet? I would have to argue that it HAS, and that we're looking at the pieces of it. Their society has been shown in canon to have undergone major upheavals during the time period of the TV shows. Add to that the constant infighting between Houses and it's pretty easy to see why so many Klingon leaders focus on racial unity.
    I meant what I said about "At All", Mark.

as in "Even to have the infrastructure for the Houses to go about tearing into one another."
    So you claim. But the idea that most Klingons don't bother learning much suddenly makes a lot more sense when you look at how they don't use automation for things. There's lots of things the Feds use advanced tech for that the Klingons use caveman solutions to solve. I would argue that the general social attitude that Klingons have towards using tech is to see it as a necessary evil and to avoid use of it as much as possible. It almost feels like a cultural phobia. The source of this phobia might be the Hur'q invasion actually. The Hur'q were technologically advanced beings from beyond the stars whose arrival left Klingon society in shambles, and changed forever.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

I meant what I said about "At All", Mark.

as in "Even to have the infrastructure for the Houses to go about tearing into one another."
    So you claim. But the idea that most Klingons don't bother learning much suddenly makes a lot more sense when you look at how they don't use automation for things. There's lots of things the Feds use advanced tech for that the Klingons use caveman solutions to solve. I would argue that the general social attitude that Klingons have towards using tech is to see it as a necessary evil and to avoid use of it as much as possible. It almost feels like a cultural phobia. The source of this phobia might be the Hur'q invasion actually. The Hur'q were technologically advanced beings from beyond the stars whose arrival left Klingon society in shambles, and changed forever.
    Mark,automation REDUCES the knowledge necessary to make equipment run, it doesn't increase it. If they're using manual solutions for navigation or engineering that requires more basic education than letting an automated system handle it!

you can actually get away with hiring less skilled workers if your shop is all CAD/CAM than if you're running pre-digital manual machinery, Mark, and I won't even get into seeing high school students who can't do basic algebra by hand...because they've been letting them bring calculators to class for twenty years.
    Who's talking about automation? I'm talking about all the fancy tech the Federation uses just because they have it, like low gravity sleeping chambers, ship quarters with individual environmental controls for just that room. Whereas a Klingon ship has a sheet of metal for a bunk and a mattress, and the environmental controls are the same as every other room on that deck. Like I said, caveman simple.

Oh and the navigation is apparently a point and click interface, also it doesn't have an actual manual backup since the ship doesn't move without the computer being online.

This brings up another interesting point. What is the defining trait of Klingon tech as compared to Federation, Ferengi, Romulan, Bajoran, Cardassian, etc? Reliability? Being easy to use? Both apply, but also, everything they use is "ruggedized". IE it takes considerable effort to intentionally break it. Which is the sort of thing that makes sense in an environment where the people using things don't know how to repair them and may throw them across the room just because they're in a bad mood. The downside is that the stuff isn't particularly cheap to make, or versatile. Oh and half of it looks like it was designed by Skullmageddon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNDP_HTFp4
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    descuffphoenixdescuffphoenix Member Posts: 4 New User
    I imagine it would have to be treated more like an event as oppose to having a full-on story. However what happened to Picard isn't necessarily expanded on in the game so the new series could add a lot of thing lore-wise concerning the Federation internal matters.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    The ruggedness and easy maintenance of Klingon equipment parallels that of the Soviets, which the Klingons represented in TOS.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    klingons suck at repairwork...there's a reason their repair rate values are in the TRIBBLE in armada/armada 2​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.