test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forum Consolidation - Thoughts

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
Hey folks,

I've been giving some thought to our forum set up and how it currently works. It's a bit cluttered for new users (and for some veterans), so I was thinking of doing some reorganization and consolidation. No content would be deleted, but since it's your forum first and foremost, I wanted to see what you thought. Let me know.

I'm proposing to change it the forums main page will only show four main forums. These would be GALACTIC NEWS NETWORK, STAR TREK ONLINE DISCUSSION, TEN FORWARD, and SUPPORT. Everything else would become a sub forum, so it would look like this:

• GALACTIC NEWS NETWORK
o Starfleet Media Corps
o Release Notes
o Rules and Policies
• STAR TREK ONLINE DISCUSSION
o The Academy
o Fleet Recruitment
o The Foundry
• TEN FORWARD
o I might make a forum games subforum
• SUPPORT
o Test Servers
o Feedback (Do people use the Feedback forum? I find most of our feedback happens in General discussion.)

Let me know what you think.

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Look better the way it is. (IMO)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I do know that a lot of feedback is discussed specifically in "The Art of Star Trek Online" feedback forum, so I'd like to see that remain somewhat easily accessible.

My big concern is that by putting everything in subforums, it becomes difficult to see how active a particular forum is because a post in another subforum could overshadow the recent posts in a primary forum. Case in point is the current Faction forums and Fleet subforums; because of the way they're set up, a post in a Fleet subforum also appears as the recent post in its respective Faction forum when looking at the forum overviews, thus skewing the appearance of forum activity in the Faction forum.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Would the Foundry have sub-subforums (or some other way of categorizing threads)? It is useful to separate out bugs and mission listings (to make those easy to reference and scan through) from general discussion.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    Would the Foundry have sub-subforums (or some other way of categorizing threads)? It is useful to separate out bugs and mission listings (to make those easy to reference and scan through) from general discussion.

Yeah, any current subforums would still exist.
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Seeing as the Test servers pretty much always have relevence to the news sections I would move them into there. I cannot see why they would go into the support subforum at all.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Most of the discussion happens in General Discussion because I assume most people do what I do:
    I don't navigate the forums from the main page or go into each subforums from the main page.

Besides....what does "Feedback" even mean?
    This current description is wishy washy: "Do you have feedback about a uniform? Perhaps a ship's hull plating? Or you noticed a Vulcan design on a Romulan building? Share your feedback here!"

The description for "Feedback" needs to state: Disscussions on PVE Content, PVP Content, Ship Builds, Ground Builds, Fleet Holdings, DOFFing/Admiralty/R&D/Rep, Control/User Interfaces and Art of Star Trek.

What would "forum games" subforum under TEN FORWARD mean?
    I thought the whole idea of TEN FORWARD was it is all fun and games and NOT related to STO at all.

A subforum for TEN FORWARD: "Star Trek Discovery" ..... because there is so many of those that I want to avoid and want to MUTE that folder.

Fleet Recruitment needs subfolders for PS4 and XBox and PC. Fleet names and intros usually differentiate between factions, anyways.

THE FOUNDRY needs it's own Forum Folder just like it is, now. It is a totally separate thing with its own separate issues. Including their own bugs to report.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Yeah, any current subforums would still exist.

Then :+1:
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Also, "GENERAL DISCUSSION" had the connotation that any and all responses made in any fashion is acceptable.
    I have read people stating, "If you didn't want my comments, why did you post this in General Discussion?" as if it excuses them from being vitriolic.

If you want to attract more helpful people back into this forum, "FEEDBACK" should be at the top of the listing on the main page....."GENERAL DISCUSSION" should be at the bottom.

P.S. One more thing before I spend the rest of the night grinding for Omega Particles....

New players are blocked from starting posts in the forums. They who may have the most questions can not post. Can "THE ACADEMY" be adjusted in a way so new players can post their questions there. Or have one of the moderators start a "New Players Post" in THE ACADEMY folder so they have someplace to go?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    as my pappy was fond of saying, It Ain't Broke, Don't fix it
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    if most feedback occurs in general, i would say keep that for feedback and rename the current feedback subsection to suggestions where people can make suggestions for new things to be added to the game, if possible and feasible

champions online has such a subforum, and it works very well there​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Where is General Discussion?

I'd be all for streamlining things a bit, as I'm one who sometimes finds things a bit confusing.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    o Feedback (Do people use the Feedback forum? I find most of our feedback happens in General discussion.)

This may point toward a problem with instruction to the moderation team. Posts are not being moved to appropriate categories/subforums. And they are all piling up in General Discussion.

And ALL this points back to descriptions are not very clear on the subforums themselves...as to what goes in which subforums.

Cutesy Star Trek sounding titles are nice...but when people don't know what they stand for any more. What is the point?

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    where2r1 wrote: »
    What would "forum games" subforum under TEN FORWARD mean?
    I thought the whole idea of TEN FORWARD was it is all fun and games and NOT related to STO at all.

I believe it would be things like the Ban thread.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    trekkerkentrekkerken Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I think some reorganization is a good idea. After all, you can change everything back to the way it is now if this becomes a big clusterbug.

Ken aka
    Rabb family and
    Nick Blackwood
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    As long as this button retains its current function, I don't care either way.
    f2e997a4-ddee-4314-a4fd-6fbbe5bffbe3.png
    (Do people use the Feedback forum? I find most of our feedback happens in General discussion.)

That's most probably because most people only read General discussion. No point in posting anything to a place that has much lower traffic.
  • Options
    captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    I don't think you should organise things into subforums. The way the boards seem to work is that the latest post on the subforums shows up as the latest post on the parent forum. I'd rather see a flat structure , organised under appropriate headings on the main page.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Hey folks,

I've been giving some thought to our forum set up and how it currently works. It's a bit cluttered for new users (and for some veterans), so I was thinking of doing some reorganization and consolidation. No content would be deleted, but since it's your forum first and foremost, I wanted to see what you thought. Let me know.

I'm proposing to change it the forums main page will only show four main forums. These would be GALACTIC NEWS NETWORK, STAR TREK ONLINE DISCUSSION, TEN FORWARD, and SUPPORT. Everything else would become a sub forum, so it would look like this:

• GALACTIC NEWS NETWORK
    o Starfleet Media Corps
    o Release Notes
    o Rules and Policies
    o The Academy
    o Fleet Recruitment
    o The Foundry
    • TEN FORWARD
    • SUPPORT
    o Test Servers

In my estimation, the current feedbakc forums are mostly useless. Low traffic, probably because they are split up in subforums you can only access by basically clicking on the last forum on a long list of forums.

The only one I still see value in is the Art forum, but mostly because of the the Epic Screenshot Thread. I figure the PvP forum also has its fans.

And what's the difference between Star Trek Online Discussion and Feedback anyway?

• GALACTIC NEWS NETWORK
    o Starfleet Media Corps
    o Release Notes
    o Rules and Policies

o General Discussion & Feedback
    o The Academy
    o The Foundry
    o Art
    o Player vs Player
    o Ten Forward
    o Fleet Recruitment
    • SUPPORT
    o Bug Reports
    o Test Servers

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    The only thing I regularly read other than the Galactic News Network IS the Feedback Forum (or rather the Fed, Klingon and Romulan subfora of it). Admittedly, the Feedback would be more useful if Devs actually read it and responded (because the point of Feedback is, I presume, to give FEEDBACK to people who can actually DO something about the issues raised). Faction related issues, bugs and wishes are posted there in droves (or were, though that has slowed a lot - see below), but I can't remember the last time I saw a Dev or even the Community Manager posting any comment or response there. It's rather disheartening that our good Ambassador Kael has to ask if anyone uses the Feedback Forum. If not the Ambassador, SOMEONE official should be reading it, or there really isn't much point to Feedback at all.

And I agree about the current placement of Fleet Recruitment being subfora of faction fora being troublesome. You can't see at a glance what IS being discussed in the Faction Feedback, because the Recruitment threads show up as the most recent thread in both places, though they aren't really part of Feedback at all. The three Fleet Recruitment fora should be moved out of Feedback to General - they really aren't providing feedback at all, and their current placement is certainly part of why the Feedback forum (or at least the Faction parts) may seem useless to the Ambassador. It also plays a part n why the faction fora are less active than they once were.

Just my 2 EC.
    Post edited by vorwoda on
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    One other suggestion, Have a separate GNN for the different platforms. There are tabs for PC, Xbox One and PS4 at the top of the main page. If I'm in PC and reading GNN, I shouldn't be seeing a ton of threads announcing stuff for consoles. And their players shouldn't have to read the PC Forum to see their news, either.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Hey folks,

• GALACTIC NEWS NETWORK
    o Starfleet Media Corps
    o Release Notes
    o Rules and Policies
    o The Academy
    o Fleet Recruitment
    o The Foundry
    • TEN FORWARD
    • SUPPORT
    o Test Servers

Rules and policies should go, I want total anarchy!
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    More seriously speaking:

I'd like it if Fleet Recruitment could remain a thing of its own. So that would make it five forums.
    I think there are many players who don't visit the forum all that often, except for fleet recruitment. It is one of those things that have a simple yet important function for in-game activities, while General Discussion usually isn't of immediate importance to what happens in-game.

I never use the Feedback section, indeed that's what I use General Discussion for. I guess that one could be removed / merged with General Discussion.

It would be nice if we could have a separate subforum (within Star Trek Online Discussion for example) for media-heavy posts. There have been some contests that were organised by different fleets and in-game channels such as TSC and the DPS ones. There is usually not much to discuss here and most of the threads consist of images. You should probably ask those who organise such contests though.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Oh and a small suggestion: if you're going to keep a separate feedback discussion, and add a policy/rules one, could you reduce the amount of sticky threads?

Especially in General Discussion there are many of them and they're usually about things like the latest episode that people will talk about in regular threads anyway.

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    One thing would be to change what is included in the Feedback section. Things like build discussions and the like are not really feedback, they are the players discussing things among themselves. If anything the bug section is feedback, most other sections fall under STO general discussion.
    Also, move the "feedback" section higher up. The off-topic area should be at the bottom i feel as the priority should be the actual game related discussions.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I never knew there was a forum for feedback.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    we do; it's allllllllllllllllllllll the way at the bottom where no one can see it - hence why it doesn't get used for actual feedback​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Put all of the fleet recruitment into the Fleet Recruitment. Sub sections for the factions. Tired of the fleet spammers posts showing up in the faction discussions headlines as well. I suggest also having a developer/someone actually respond or interact in the sections or the feedback area more to cause more activity. That or just officially tell everyone that Reddit is the new place for news/feedback/interaction with Cryptic because it certainly does not appear to be the forums sadly.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    My quick thoughts on structure & order

Main forum on left, sub-fora after dash...

GNN - Patch Notes, Media Corps. Rules & Policies stickied as post #1 in GNN "main", possible subforum for discussion of rules/policies
    Feedback - Test Servers, Factions
    Academy & Support - factions (note, reason this is Academy & support is that if we're already supporting build/playstyle/game questions here, why not include the technical issues here along with the gameplay ones\
    Fleet Recruiting - Factions (no posting in "main" fleet recruiting allowed, just Fed/KDF as a KDF can't join a Feddie fleet, so no "total game recruiting" can occur)
    STO General - PvP (for STO related stuff not listed above, PvPers get their alcove in here so they can be noticed)
    10 Forward

Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    If you do this, I'd like to add a fan fiction subforum to Ten Forward, Kael.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/