Install Arc
Options

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    szim wrote: »

Who says it's a reboot? Outside of fan whinging, I've never seen any evidence of the show being a reboot at all.

Please, show me some official documentation from CBS that says it's a reboot.

I'll wait.

These days, calling a new series "reboot" has a negative connotation to it. So you won't find an official CBS statement calling it that. But you can be certain, papers like the Independent wouldn't call Discovery an all-new reboot several times in their articles (Link) if that term didn't come from one of the people who were interviewed.

So you can't find an official statement that calls it a reboot. Got it.

Let me break it down for you:

A reboot of a show involves using the same base characters and starting over from scratch.

The recent Battlestar Galactica is a reboot of the original show.

The Kelvin Timeline is a reboot of the Prime Universe.

This is not a reboot.

Calling DSC a reboot of Star Trek would be like saying Rogue One is a reboot of A New Hope.

It isn't.

The media idiots calling it a reboot are simply demonstrating a lack of understanding of what the word means. Don't fall into that trap. You're better than that.

It IS a reboot. If something looks like a reboot, feels like a reboot and sounds like a reboot, it's a reboot. I don't need an offical statement confirming that.

And speaking of the true meaning of "reboot", here's what it actually means:

"To start something again or do something again, in a way that is new and interesting"

"Something", like in movie, series or entire franchise. And Discovery would fall in the latter category. You can restart a franchise without telling the same stories and using the same characters again.

Yes. "start something again" is the key phrase here, with heavy emphasis on the word "start." Discovery is not starting something again. It is a continuation from Enterprise and a prequel to TOS. Saying that Discovery is a reboot is like saying that TNG, DS9, and VOY are all reboots of TOS. They aren't. They are continuations of the same story.
    If they made a new Star Wars movie with completely different characters, in which wookies loked like turtles stardestroyers were turned into solid-propellant rockets and laser swords were replaced by magic wands would you still refuse to call it a reboot of the franchise?

That is a poor comparison and you know it. We both know that had someone put that out as an idea for a Wars film, the producers would have said 'Sure so long as you make everything how it's supposed to be' or they would have been laughed out of the office.

Look at the Kelvin Timeline. Despite the redesigns and tech updates, everything was still recognizably Trek in aesthetic. If they had made the Enterprise look like a flying Eiffel Tower, the Klingons look like Daleks, and the Orions into a highly religious, chaste race of purple skinned cephalopods, then people could complain about it not being Trek.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    newromulan#1567 newromulan Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Please let this monstrosity of a series die, unless the first 2 episodes were the worse of the lot and it gets better as it goes. That is possible if the actors and writers looked at what they produced early on and said we need to do better. I am not holding out much hope.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Red Alert
    This is a reboot because it just doesn't fit in the prime timeline. And them not admitting it is only serving to TRIBBLE me of further.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    I'm saying that Klingons have a tendency not to respect people who won't stand up to them to their faces.
    So? This happens in cultures on Earth. It does not mean we should start every meeting at the UN by shooting a representative. That's violence for the sake of violence. It's nonsensical and STUPID.
    Even Picard, the pillar of the Federation's ideal, recognized that: When a Klingon named Vagh called him a liar to his face, Picard promptly cussed him out in tlhIngan Hol. Vagh was considerably more polite afterwards. And this after the Klingons have been nominally allies of the Federation for a good six decades. ETA: Or look at Quark at the climax of "The House of Quark": he faces down D'Ghor on the Council, then throws down his sword and dares him to go ahead and kill him. Doesn't win D'Ghor's respect, but it damn sure wins the respect of every other Klingon present: D'Ghor ends up discommendated.
    When did Picard shoot a Klingon to make him a friend? When did he blow up a Vor'cha to start a peace summit?
    Now, let's look at the situation dispassionately. The House of T'Kuvma came out blatantly trying to pick a fight, by their own admission. They cross into Federation territory, shoot up Federation property, and then attack a Starfleet officer without provocation who was just out there trying to figure out what the frell happened to their subspace relay. It'd be like if Russia sent the Pyotr Velikiy into Alaskan waters and started firing at random buildings on-shore: an act of war, plain and simple. Frankly, Burnham and Georgiou both missed that the war had already started and that the Klingons had already shot first.
    None of this matters. The point is, Vulcans maintain the only way to deal with Klingons is to shoot them. It does not matter if the war had already started or not, Sarek would still say "we find Klingons are most agreeable when they are dead".
    Now, you can bring up the counterargument that T'Kuvma's ship outgunned the Shenzhou, but the point is Burnham was right: the situation wasn't going to be resolved without bloodshed from the second T'Kuvma left port. If the Shenzhou gets off the first shot, maybe they manage to hit something critical and at least damage the ship enough they can get away, if not mission-kill it.
    Again, this does not matter. It does not matter that Burnham has ESP and can see the future and that all her actions are vindicated. If all the information they have on Klingons says "Step 1 when meeting a Klingon: USE LEATHAL FORCE TO THEIR FACE" then... that is STUPID.

This only works if the Klingons are supposed to be a threat that you cannot reason with. Like the Reavers from Firefly or the Zerg from Starcraft or even Star Trek's own Borg. I mean, it's fine if they want the Klingons to be unreasoning murder-machines, but why have them wait to start the murdering? Why go through all the "talky" nonsense if they are supposed to be an unstoppable force of nature? They just come across as stupid and nonsensical. Or the Vulcans are ignorant and irrational racists. I suppose that is a possibility.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    This only works if the Klingons are supposed to be a threat that you cannot reason with. Like the Reavers from Firefly or the Zerg from Starcraft or even Star Trek's own Borg. I mean, it's fine if they want the Klingons to be unreasoning murder-machines, but why have them wait to start the murdering? Why go through all the "talky" nonsense if they are supposed to be an unstoppable force of nature? They just come across as stupid and nonsensical. Or the Vulcans are ignorant and irrational racists. I suppose that is a possibility.
    Not exactly. Klingons are a threat that you can't talk out of fighting. you have to give them a reason to stop. Of course Klingons aren't in it JUST for the bloodshed. They like that, but that's only a short thrill. The real prize is capturing a Fed crew and annexing a solar system.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    So, I'm not voting on the poll just yet, both because I don't understand the rating system (please make more clear next time, OP), and because the pilot isn't really done yet. By all accounts, this pilot was a "prologue," and the next episode will be a "second pilot" of sorts.

But, based on what I've seen so far... there is a lot to like, but there are a few things I don't care for. The visuals are FANTASTIC, the music is GREAT, the sound design is APPROPRIATE... lots of good stuff here. I liked the characters okay, of what we saw of them. We haven't seen most of the main cast, though, and I personally didn't feel too attached to the majority of the crew we've seen (more on that in a moment). I think the Klingons look great (although, I can see the argument against the makeup being too thick), but I'm getting tired of the subtitles (cool idea, gets old fast for me). I'm still not quite digging the Starfleet uniforms, and after seeing some STO remixes of the uniform design with a TOS-like color palette... they need to make that pivot, IMO.

I will tag the rest with spoilers, since I'm not sure what has been discussed in here, and what hasn't...
    Given that we've already seen flashbacks of Burnham's past, I don't think we've seen the last of Michelle Yeoh. I fully expected her character to get killed off, so that had little impact for me. I'm also disappointed about T'Kuvma's death, only because it (again) lacked any weight for me at this point. I guess Michael Burnham is Nick Lacarno 3.0, which is fine I guess... her rapid and epic fall from grace dodges the Mary Sue claims (for now, at least). I'm still not sure what to make of Burnham, though. Clearly, she's still very much affected by her parents' death, despite her protests to the contrary. Still, her pivot from "it's time for you to get your own command" to "take this traitor to the brig" was rather abrupt. I'm hoping this will get addressed through flashbacks, and further character development is needed (and likely coming).

And, finally, a thought or two about the Klingons, and their use as an allegory for the current US climate. My only hope for this is that they can treat this with some nuance, and not get ham-fisted about supposed "Trump bashing" or what have you. The Starfleet position, at least at one point, was "let's talk, and listen, first." This is a very needed message, no matter what your political persuasion is. I even think that, given the way things unfolded, neither side handled the initial confrontation well. This is also true to real life. These are all fine to say in the show, IMO. I just hope they can dive deeper into both sides of this conflict, because life is never as simple as a TV show. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations is ALWAYS bigger than we initially expect.

Bring on episode three!!!!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Not exactly. Klingons are a threat that you can't talk out of fighting. you have to give them a reason to stop. Of course Klingons aren't in it JUST for the bloodshed. They like that, but that's only a short thrill. The real prize is capturing a Fed crew and annexing a solar system.
    We are talking about a cultural wide philosophy here, not just short term plans of conquering one ship and one star.

These impressions existed before the events in Vulcan Hello. If the Klingons first language is violence, why are they not just speaking in violence? This is how they are presented by Sarek. "To make a Klingon your friend, you must kill him. But then he is dead, so what is the point?"

Since Klingons just want to murder everything non-Klingon... what is the point of the first contact situation? If there is some massive cultural impetus to "shoot everything", then why do they need any of this? If you need to "unite" a fractured group of murderers, couldn't you just scream WAAAGH! and stuff would fall into place?

There just seems to be waay to much faffing about here. Klingons are mindless murderers. Get to murdering already.
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    This is a reboot because it just doesn't fit in the prime timeline. And them not admitting it is only serving to **** me of further.

People said the same thing about TNG and even TMP, most egregiously about how the Klingons in TMP were "not my Klingons."
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    We are talking about a cultural wide philosophy here, not just short term plans of conquering one ship and one star.

These impressions existed before the events in Vulcan Hello. If the Klingons first language is violence, why are they not just speaking in violence? This is how they are presented by Sarek. "To make a Klingon your friend, you must kill him. But then he is dead, so what is the point?"

Since Klingons just want to murder everything non-Klingon... what is the point of the first contact situation? If there is some massive cultural impetus to "shoot everything", then why do they need any of this? If you need to "unite" a fractured group of murderers, couldn't you just scream WAAAGH! and stuff would fall into place?

There just seems to be waay to much faffing about here. Klingons are mindless murderers. Get to murdering already.
    Merely an example of how Klingon conquest works.

Murderers? yes. mindless? No.

the part you seem to be either missing or ignoring is that Klingons LOVE slave labor. Dead people don't make good slaves. And yes, it is seen several times in the TV serieses that Klingons have entire civilizations they have subjugated to be slave labor.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    M-5

Who says it's a reboot? Outside of fan whinging, I've never seen any evidence of the show being a reboot at all.

Please, show me some official documentation from CBS that says it's a reboot.

I'll wait.

These days, calling a new series "reboot" has a negative connotation to it. So you won't find an official CBS statement calling it that. But you can be certain, papers like the Independent wouldn't call Discovery an all-new reboot several times in their articles (Link) if that term didn't come from one of the people who were interviewed.

So you can't find an official statement that calls it a reboot. Got it.

Let me break it down for you:

A reboot of a show involves using the same base characters and starting over from scratch.

The recent Battlestar Galactica is a reboot of the original show.

The Kelvin Timeline is a reboot of the Prime Universe.

This is not a reboot.

Calling DSC a reboot of Star Trek would be like saying Rogue One is a reboot of A New Hope.

It isn't.

The media idiots calling it a reboot are simply demonstrating a lack of understanding of what the word means. Don't fall into that trap. You're better than that.

It IS a reboot. If something looks like a reboot, feels like a reboot and sounds like a reboot, it's a reboot. I don't need an offical statement confirming that.

And speaking of the true meaning of "reboot", here's what it actually means:

"To start something again or do something again, in a way that is new and interesting"

"Something", like in movie, series or entire franchise. And Discovery would fall in the latter category. You can restart a franchise without telling the same stories and using the same characters again.

If they made a new Star Wars movie with completely different characters, in which wookies loked like turtles stardestroyers were turned into solid-propellant rockets and laser swords were replaced by magic wands would you still refuse to call it a reboot of the franchise?

It's not a reboot since it's set in the Prime Timeline of events. While they might be "reimagining" the visuals the actual events of the era have NOT changed as it was with the Kelvin Timeline. They even said there will be transition story and visual into the orginal series so for that we will wait and see. Like I've said before....theres a lot I don't like but there are things I can accept. This series has happened and now officially in the canon. I'll give it a chance for a couple of more episodes.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I have paid for CBS All Access a week ago...

I saw the preview for upcoming episodes at the end of Part 2 of the first Pilot....
    I don't think USS Discovery is going to be a "regular" Starfleet ship.
    My GUESS it is similar to: Qib or (I guess I should use a FED name) Eclipse?

I almost got the impression that the Discovery was a sort of prison ship. I know it's not but it's purpose seems shady and almost S31 like. Maybe for its purpose it needs expendables for its crew.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    I almost got the impression that the Discovery was a sort of prison ship. I know it's not but it's purpose seems shady and almost S31 like. Maybe for its purpose it needs expendables for its crew.

it's probably a ship crewed entirely or almost entirely by misfits, as i already mentioned a few hours ago, either in this thread or the other one still open​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

It seems rather simple to me.

The Klingons treat other species as inferior until they prove otherwise. Inferiors are not worth talking to.

By shooting them first, they can establish their superiority. When enemies shoot them first, the Klingons realize that they might face an equal*. The next time a Klingon (maybe not this particular one) encounters some representative of that species, he might decide that it's worth talking and try to establish contact without violence - which is quite possible with FTL communications available in Star Trek. They don't have to wait until they are in weapons range.

*) it actually might not even be about equality. It might just be about: "Here is someone that is willing to fight for himself. He's not a mere slave." Which seems to draw strongly from John M. Ford's depiction of Klingons. They had the concept of komerex and khesterex zha, an empire is either growing and expanding or decaying and shrinking. There isn't really a conceptual place for them for a peaceful expansion in that concept. ANd they also knew two types of species - those that were willing to fight, and those that are basically cattle or slaves. Your technological abilities weren't representative of either - the way you used it mattered.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    is saru the death-sensing alien or the g.ay fungal guy?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Why do you need me to clarify something you already know and agree with?

Because you make sweeping generalizations.

I'm asking for clarification on who you are including when you make a statement like "viewer reviews are negative."

Which viewer(s)?
    A select few people here on the forums and on YouTube? Or are you making the sweeping generalization that all viewer reviews were negative?
    All the viewer(s) who gave negative reviews.
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    As much as I did actually enjoy the first two episodes, I've always voiced my concern about the over emphasis on one particular character. A great deal of the controversy and controversial opinion surrounding the first two episodes are focused on the Burnham character and I, for one, hope that the emphasis does shift from the over-emphasis on said character.

I don’t care how pretty or talented Sonequa Martin-Green is –I am hopeful that we’ll see more of the other characters; Saru was particularly interesting and Doug Jones played him well.

If the Burnham is shoehorned into every plot and scene I’ll lose interest in the show quite quickly.
    Well, everything said thus far, has been that she is the lead character :no_mouth:

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Two things wrong with your thesis...

1. Burnham-the-character is not supposed to be aware that she's Plot Armored, has a "Destiny" etc. etc. etc. Her orders were specific, "DO a a FLYBY" and be back in 20 minutes. Those were the express orders of her commanding officer, given in front of a fellow officer.
    2. she WAS dealing with an unknown. That requires a level of cautious experimentation (if there's time), not a blunder forward until you stab a klingon.

What she did was frankly unprofessional on every count you can name-she had visual on the object prior to realizing she lost commo, at that point, you pull back, and check your gear. she didn't do that, and there was no condition going on to prevent her from doing that one, simple thing.

Keep in mind, she didn't forget to check in, she'd been checking in-if she'd forgotten, (perhaps in awe and wonder) then it's an error that could be explained, but that's not what happened. what happened, was that she deliberately acted as if she were in a safe training environment having a bit of fun, rather than in a dangerous situation in a hostile environment with a potential first-contact (she didn't know it was Klingon at the point I'm talking about). She ACTED like she knew she was the main character in a piece of fiction, rather than acting like a rational, trained, professional person in that situation.

And no Starfleet officer before or since her has ever bent the rules? Ever? Not even a little? No one ever took a risk or two to accomplish their mission?

I'm beginning to wonder how much Star Trek you've really ever seen....

Tu quoque.

• Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
This discussion has been closed.