test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | SEASON TWO |

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    probably an allegory for all those religious nuts who see the second coming of jesus reincarnated in so-and-so person, even if their personality is NOTHING like jesus' supposedly was​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Red Alert
    I actually suspect the g.ay characters' sexuality will play into the plot in a similar way that a heterosexual character's would: I expect the Science officer to be killed by Klingons at some point, with a later episode putting the Doctor in a position where he could save the life of a Klingon (either a civilian or wounded prisoner), but struggling to bring himself to do it because of his loss.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    do either of them have social media accounts? maybe someone should point out their double standard to them - tactfully, of course​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Likewise, then, with their 'new take' on Klingon culture. The writers likely stopped at the first couple paragraphs in wikipedia, then went off to play some Warhammer 40K before joining the election day protests, and then, filled up with their stuck-in-today rhetoric, went ahead and finished formulating without doing any further researches.

The result is a two dimensional 'bad guy' based on the worst stereotypes of the Limbaugh and Beck republicans, but with bing translate to put it into "Klingon speek", then not directing to get the emotion OF that speek in place because "It's another language so it's fine if delivery is flat and uninteresting".
    I'm not seeing the political angle in the Klingons. They just seem like a caricature of other era Klingons in their mannerisms. They are disappointing, and I think they cheapen Micheal's character. I think they are so... shallow... that they could stand in for whatever political group you want to demonize.

I know they are supposed to represent a "fractured" America (though they seemed really easy to unite, honestly), but I'm not seeing it in these two episodes. Maybe this becomes apparent the further into the series.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    yeah; hence, the clone the monks made​​

That's what I thought. Wonder why these Klingons see T'Kuvma as the "second coming" then if Klingons were always expecting Kahless himself to return?

Technically Kahless didn't return, the Monks at Boreth were so desperate to believe their version of events that they cheated and created a duplicate. The duplicate is ovbiously not the real kahless and as such the prophecy proved false. One day the real Kahless will return.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    verybody loves her, she is smarter, better, basically superior and thinks she's always right
    So kinda like Spock or Data?

And she's not really superior - Her Captain still has tricks on her sleeve she didn't expect. As did Saru.
    ... to the point of mutiny against someone she supposedly served under for 7-years.
    And was absolutely certain would die if she didn't act.
    Just because there aren't gods involved doesn't mean it isn't a religion,
    I would absolutely agree that the Klingon are religious. They have a Klingon afterlife. And they have mythological leaders that seemed to have mythical powers, because I don't see how you could use a lock from your hair to form a sword, or how two people could fight of hundreds of enemies (unless they're fighting flies perhaps?).
    The "albino" Klingon being different in color has no purpose in the show other than to illustrate he is "white" but they're still going to accept him: that is an anti-Caucasian message as anybody who has followed the works, and speeches of Black Power leaders like Claud Anderson, Lewis Farrakhan, James Cone, or Cornel West knows. Just google Albinoids and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    I suspect that you're seeing the wrong message here. The message is that he's different from ther est and the Klingons normally wouldn't expect them, but with this leader, and with his actions, they accept him. That doesn't mean it's an "Anti-Caucasian" message. It's just means that the Klingons have an (unhealthy) combination of classicism and racism that this sect seems to at least partially break through.
    No people aren't being offended without cause, we are seeing what is there in TRIBBLE without blinders on. Youtube is coming alive with people who see the same things and are becoming outspoken about it as is facebook and twitter.
    It doesn't help when the idiots of TRIBBLE take a knee and get political outside of the show and then make a big deal out of it.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-takes-knee/

That just adds to the fact that this show has an agenda (most TV does these days which is why I--for one--don't watch it).
    Not watching a show with an agenda might just mean you're unwilling to engage with thoughts that you disagree with. But if you don't do this, all you achieve is that you stand still. If everyone does it, no one learns. From disagreement, new thoughts can be formed. From challenging your preconceptions, you can refine your own preconceptions, learn where you might be wrong, and where you're right, and are able to better argue your point and better convince people of your view on things.

It opens you to the risk of realizing that you could be wrong on some things, but I think that's preferable to being ignorant.

And it's not exactly like Star Trek ever didn't have an agenda (beyond making Gene Roddenberry rich). A Russian and a female black officer on board of a starship? A member of the Russian stand-in race from TOS as part of the crew? Picard espousing humanism ideals to convince a god-like alien of his point, and getting away with it?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    Red Alert

I've had this argument with Artan and a few others before, infact we had an entire thread dedicated to it that was going strong for over a month at one time. You will not convince them. Despite the overwhelming and inconvertible evidence that Starfleet is infact military, they take the handful of times that important characters have said it is not as proof. They don't understand that a statement is not evidence. I could say the US is not a democracy, does that make it true? Hell no, and when you examine how the government functions you find it most certainly is a democracy, it's the same thing with defining Starfleet as military.

Don't waste your time arguing about it, that subset of Trekkies start acting very dim and unintelligent on this topic, incapable of critical thinking.

That certainly does seem to be the case here.
    For people who claim to be "tolerant of others" SJWs (be they Trek fans or otherwise) are some of the most intolerant people I've ever met both online and in real life.

It's not an SJW thing (I refer to myself with that label sometimes :) ), certain Trek fans are just in love with this delusional idea that Starfleet is not military and that it's somehow better for it, even though everything about what they do and how they operate fits the definition of a military. Personally I find it offensive to everyone who has served, and especially to those who've given their lives, to say that we would be better off if our military somehow wasn't a military.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    M-5
    valoreah wrote: »
    do either of them have social media accounts? maybe someone should point out their double standard to them - tactfully, of course​​

I think so and think I will drop them a note with a hashtag of #BringBackMichaelWestmore lol

Well they also had a vid from CBS with them explaining the process and what they showed it really is a form of mask. I was kinda dumbstruck about how they claimed all this intricasy and 3d printing schlock and then show basically a mask. Also they cited H.R. Giger as a main influence in the NuKlinks. Sigh. Here;s the vid:

https://youtu.be/bQF4dXX7zpE
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I think the offensive bit isn't the character's sexuality, but that it's token, as in it's pretty likely going to be THE only interesting trait ABOUT the character. Tokenism is an artifact of the industry right after Civil Rights got passed, when Hollywood's major studios were worried about needing to be seen in compliance with the direction from Washington D.C., it began in the 1960s, but really became prominent with 'add on' characters that were 'with it' in television and cinema, the "Token black guy" whose only point in the show, was to be the black guy. This expanded in the late seventies with the token 'liberated woman' whose only point in the show was to be the liberated woman archetype so the producers could look 'with it' (and avoid the burgeoning new industry of filing equal rights claims, a practice that actually peaked in the eighties. The backlash to it is 20 years behind the times.)

Tokenism is essentially exploitive behaviour, and the reason it's viewed poorly, is that it was most prevalent in low-quality works that needed to grasp for niche audience shares.

It wasn't a presence in the original Star Trek, because the represented 'not a white male W.A.S.P" characters actually had good writing and development of their own, and served roles other than being a checked box on a worksheet or cheap attempt to garner new audience share.

In this case, the advertising is to blame for the impression of tokenism-CBS highlit that they would have a g*y couple before they even told people that Burnham would be a first officer, and highlit the g*y character's being g*y long before telling anyone what that guy actually does on the ship. this is like advertising that the first concern was sexual orientation, and everything else would be subordinate to that, including character development, character role, and character job.

by contrast...

On "The Orville" the Moclan character is obviously mono-sexual, and they handled his...issues (and addressed modern issues of sexuality and identity) seriously-but the character serves several other key roles in the show, and a significant and important role on the ship-a role that has zero to do with his gender, race, or sexuality.

this is an example of "NOT a token".

"Torchwood"- Captain Jack's proclivities aren't as important to the character or his role (Leader of the team) as his ability to...lead the team, survive insane amounts of damage, live forever, talk on an equal footing with incredibly demigod powerful beings, lead the team, kick ****, lead the team...get it? "NOT a TOKEN".

Mr. Sulu (and Mister Sulu): asian guy, right? okay, putting aside homages to George Takei, Mr. Sulu (TOS) was a kickass pilot, fencer, away team leader, straight-man for Chekhovs jokes, navigator... and the same for Mister Sulu (JJ Abrams), with the added bonus of both showing strong leadership abilities. this is double-not-a-token, since we're talking TWO acknowledged minorities in the more recent version, and one minority that was, at the time, treated pretty shabbily in most media from the United States.

Uhura-NOT A TOKEN. A woman (in the 1960s women officers were nurses or doctors, not bridge crew on naval vessels, nor pilots, nor front line leaders) and of african ethnic descent (that is, she had dark skin). but she wasn't a token presence, her blackness was not the most important or interesting thing about her, she wasn't portrayed as a stereotype in either her femininity or her ethnicity. Communications is a critical role, comms officers handle your encryption, your data and your lifeline to base/the fleet, it's a bridge position because it's a critical role in the command structure.

the most important thing to understand about what makes a token character, is that they are forgettable, because they're an add-on added for reasons th at have nothing to do with story, setting, or development. token characters are disposeable stereotypes wedged into a production for reasons external to that production, such as garnering favour (clumsily) with targeted demographics, or to avoid the appearance of the very real bigotry of the producer/studio or production team.

Tokenism is not presently as common as it once was, particularly in mainstream hollywood, but it's still there, still present, and still an ugly form of concealed discrimination that furthers, rather than relieves, ugly stereotyping. It's typically a sign of what you might call "Closet Bigotry"-whre the bigot, either due to financial or social pressures, is overcompensating to try and conceal their prejudice.

So your entire diatribe here...

Well thought out, nicely researched, and has numerous examples.

There's just one problem: It's all based on your supposition about a homosexual character based on precisely zero examples from the show. It's not based on what you've seen on screen. It's based solely on what you THINK you're gonna see.

Sorry, but that means your entire argument is invalidated.
    I honestly think people are seeing offense because they want to, not because it's actually there.

I was going to address your points but then realized you aren't saying anything new.

If it keeps being brought up, perhaps there's a reason for that. Might be that your arguments are spurious.
    I already addressed most of what you are saying, but here's a summary retort.

Oh this oughta be good...
    When someone accuses me of not liking something due to race, I call them on it because they don't speak for me.

Not relevant to our conversation. Stick to the talking points please.
    Michael is a gender-neutral name

Wrong. Completely, totally, unequivocably wrong.

Every resource I have found (and there are MANY) indicate that the name Michael is a masculine name with many variants in spelling based on location. It is NOT a gender neutral name, nor has it EVER been a gender neutral name. If it were a gender neutral name, there would be no need for the feminine equivalents such as Makayla or Michelle.

Proof:
    https://www.behindthename.com/name/michael
    https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-michael-462485.htm
    http://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/name/michael
    http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/boy/michael
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael
    https://nameberry.com/babyname/Michael/boy
    http://www.thenamemeaning.com/michael/

And that's just on the first page of results for a google search for "michael name meaning"...

Do your research before spouting off.
    and the character is portrayed as a Mary Sue:

everybody loves her,

Well, Saru tolerates her. He may not hate her, but he doesn't have the love for her that you are describing.
    she is smarter, better, basically superior and thinks she's always right to the point of mutiny against someone she supposedly served under for 7-years.

She made a mistake. Congratulations. She screwed up with the whole mutiny thing. Not much of a Mary Sue anymore. A Mary Sue can do no wrong. She did wrong. Therefore, not a Mary Sue.
    Star Trek V established that the Klingons do in fact have a religion with it's own version of paradise, and we are told in TRIBBLE that these "Klingons" in TRIBBLE are a religious sect bringing the teachings of Kathless to unite the Klingon Empire.

Less of a religion and more of a philosophy. No different than Aesop's Fables. Learn what it means to be Klingon by following the teachings of the one who made the Klingons into what they are.
    Just because there aren't gods involved doesn't mean it isn't a religion,

Actually, yes it is. That's why Atheism is not a religion.
    Buddhism is a good example of that as is Scientology.

Buddhism is strictly not a religion in the context of a religion involving faith, worship, and owing allegiance to a supernatural being/higher power. Scientology is a moneymaking scam perpetrated by a science fiction writer.
    The "albino" Klingon being different in color has no purpose in the show other than to illustrate he is "white" but they're still going to accept him: that is an anti-Caucasian message as anybody who has followed the works, and speeches of Black Power leaders like Claud Anderson, Lewis Farrakhan, James Cone, or Cornel West knows. Just google Albinoids and you'll see what I'm talking about.

That's all well and good, but we're talking about albinos in a completely alien species who do not have any "Black Power" equivalents. They are shunned because albinism is a genetic disorder, not an ethnic trait. There is no ethnic hatred involved. Your argument does not stand.
    They are pandering to the "happy" group, and using the character as a selling point for marketing purposes and I find that to be petty.

No people aren't being offended without cause, we are seeing what is there in TRIBBLE without blinders on.

They are seeing what they want to see. They do not have the proverbial big picture because only two episodes have aired. That's it. No more than that.
    Youtube is coming alive with people who see the same things and are becoming outspoken about it as is facebook and twitter.

Irrelevant because of the two episode thing only. If they were coming alive midway through the season, I MIGHT consider their words, but I doubt it. Social media is nothing but a bunch of morons, the vast majority of which have no real thoughts of their own, simply parroting the latest "in" thing to say.

It does not take a majority to sway public opinion (good or bad), but a persistent, vocal minority willing to say whatever it takes to sway people to their side.
    It doesn't help when the idiots of TRIBBLE take a knee and get political outside of the show and then make a big deal out of it.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-takes-knee/

There's your problem. You're paying attention to what they do outside the show.

I could not care less about what political opinions they have. I don't care what they do in their personal lives. What I care about is whether or not they entertain me during that 30 minutes to 2 hours they are on my screen. That's it. If they entertain me, I will keep watching. If they don't, I'll stop. It's that simple.
    That just adds to the fact that this show has an agenda (most TV does these days which is why I--for one--don't watch it).

Newsflash: EVERY television program has an agenda. The overriding agenda is simple: tell a story.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    What if......... Star Trek: Discovery could simul-exist in the Kelvin-timeline, because Vulcan isn't destroyed until 2258, and this takes place in 2256?
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • Options
    Red Alert
    when the show is dull? yeah, people will pay attention to what's outside of it. it doesn't help when the showrunners themselves are making a big deal about how current, transitory political **** influenced the production. Emphasized it even.

and what you're missing: I didn't create the impression of tokenism, the show's own marketing relied on it.

and agendas, etc. can be forgiven, overlooked, or even seriously contemplated-if the show is good enough.

this one wasn't. They did beautiful special effects, really, they did. Their re-dec on Klingons made some very pretty still pictures, but like the rest of the show, fell flat once put into motion, and a lot of that can probably be blamed on the showrunner's off-screen agendas.

They used Klingon language, but it was like someone reading from a powerpoint-they forgot that the actor doesn't just have to SAY THE LINES, they have to act, to communicate those lines, and animate them with feeling, to make the character feel REAL and ALIVE.

They didn't do that.

The writers forgot Burnham wasn't a boot ensign, and wrote her as an immature kid, not a Commander with seven years' space time. She didn't just make ONE mistake, she made a SERIES of mistakes, any one of which would have been career (or, barring divine plot armoring, actual) suicide BEFORE she nerve-pinched her Captain and attempted to make a mutiny.

Thank you for that.
    Glad I'm not the only one who sees these issues with TRIBBLE.
    I have a proper retort to his post, but it will not post for some reason. I saved it to word, but can't post it here.
    Is there some limit to the size of our posts?

No limit, the forums just act crazy sometimes. Editing a post can sometimes result in it being completed deleted, and sometimes you'll get a message saying your post will appear once it's been approved (the approval will never happen though, who knows where it actually goes).
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    I would absolutely agree that the Klingon are religious. They have a Klingon afterlife. And they have mythological leaders that seemed to have mythical powers, because I don't see how you could use a lock from your hair to form a sword, or how two people could fight of hundreds of enemies (unless they're fighting flies perhaps?)
    Is this is spiritual or religious? I'm not trying to play semantic word games. This is a honest question as there is a difference between the two.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Strategema
    I am still combing through Episode 1 and Episode 2 to find bits I am missing to the story....I think I need to watch Episode 2 one more time. Something is not right...I can't put my finger on it.

I really think they edited too much stuff out to put in more space scenes....though I love those scenes. The space walk...the ships warping in....it was good. But I am ticked....don't cut up the story so much.

The way Commander Burnham loses it...I mean mutiny? Mutiny and rain death on Klingons? And here she was being recommended for her own command? Captain Georgiou does not come across as a TRIBBLE up who would just recommend anyone. And she is surprised by Michael is doing.

And it was an emotional switch. I am wondering: mind control or hypnotic suggestion? And it is after the chat with Sarek. And the whole weird brain connection?

And it is still not really clear WHO or WHAT Sarek works for. Because, really? Single dude, raises a kid, who has no family of his own? What is that? I have to watch that scene again where he drops Michael off on USS Shenzhou for the first time. I didn't think they really say, there, either?

And I was reading a story....where a Vulcan ADDED a memory to a human's mind to make him think he assassinated some officer....just to mess with him (hilarious story). If they can change memories of humans....why didn't Sarek erase the fear of Klingons from her mind... You know?

But no...he said something that made her freak out, instead.
    There is more going on there than just being a Ward, I think.

And was there a reason the Klingons chose the location they set up the trap? Was it random or not? Just looking at the "prologue" episodes...there wasn't any outside influence. ????

EXCEPT THAT CLOAK. ??? I keep hearing people say: Klingons are not supposed to have cloak, yet. Sooo...it is another anomaly in the story...which points to: YES there is outside influence.

Yeah, I can't wait until Episode 3.

BUT...Going to go watch Episode 2 again, for now.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I just realized why T'Kuvma's voice and speech patterns grated on my nerves so much.

He's nothing more than the Klingon version of Saw Guerra.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    Red Alert
    I just realized why T'Kuvma's voice and speech patterns grated on my nerves so much.

He's nothing more than the Klingon version of Saw Guerra.

gee, what grated on me, was that he sounded and acted like he was reading from a powerpoint, instead of being a leader inciting his followers to action.

Yeah, be didn't have the passion Klingons typically have when it comes to battle, though I wonder if it was just the actor having trouble pronouncing the words.
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.