test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Enough with the Logs on DS9 already!

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Just so I'm clear, this request is also not about my personal Star Trek preference. I like DS9, it's a good show that I enjoy watching, it's just that the entire system is not exactly convenient for a lot of players and an alternate option would be sensible in my opinion.

Though I do enjoy the show, the DS9 area of the game is not a place where I prefer to spend any significant amount of time.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    Is anyone else tired of this?

Every new reputation now, whenever you advance a Tier you have to go 'read mission logs on DS9.' Really? they can't just transmit them to me? I can't read them on ESD or better yet in the Captain Quarters on my own ship?

What is with the obsession with making us all go to DS9 just to read a mission log? I hardly ever go to the Alpha Quadrant, so it's annoying to constantly have to travel there just to click 'next' and then leave.

Can we please consider allowing us to read these logs from a more convenient location?

Have you tried going to your Ready Room and using one of the computers in there?​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I don't mind running to DS9 every now and then. I just hate that we have to go through the Reputation system to understand the story. :(
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    captains-log.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Is anyone else tired of this?

Every new reputation now, whenever you advance a Tier you have to go 'read mission logs on DS9.' Really? they can't just transmit them to me? I can't read them on ESD or better yet in the Captain Quarters on my own ship?

What is with the obsession with making us all go to DS9 just to read a mission log? I hardly ever go to the Alpha Quadrant, so it's annoying to constantly have to travel there just to click 'next' and then leave.

Can we please consider allowing us to read these logs from a more convenient location?

I agree.

I hate DS9. And the logs being there just annoy me even more.

(it only made sense for the first rep log that came out, because it had something to do with DS9... but the others?)
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Maybe Sarrish Minna is a dev's waifu, so they want you to see her a lot. :lol:

But yeah, I would prefer if they were sent to my computer files, to finally give another excuse to visit the bridge during the storyline.

I had to go look up what "waifu" meant then i LMAO , because that would make alot of sense why sarrish mina is practically shoved down our throats.
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    I just wanted to comment on how much I love everyone's signatures. Except for the idiotic one directly above me.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    yeah logs at ds9 made sense for the mirror incursion ones... after that its 'wtf' time
  • Options
    I just wanted to comment on how much I love everyone's signatures. Except for the idiotic one directly above me.

Then you either don't know, or don't appreciate, history. That is a hilarious, and fairly accurate, depiction of WWII written as if the leaders involved were gamers.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    I don't have a problem with them being on DS9. My biggest issue is with them existing at all. I guess LOR introduced doing them and they just keep doing it without any real thought put into it. But having messages or new missions pop up as part of a rep, only makes sense when it's brand new, people are going through it for the first time and it's tied into the missions. i.e. Those messages shouldn't be part of the rep at all IMO. They should be extra little messages or something that come up as you're playing the particular storyline. That way you're actually in the area and they make more sense, giving additional background etc.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I wondered why they didnt use that in the first place myself... would much rather it be there
    Yeah, the ship interior doesn't get much use for missions in the game.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    We're told repeatedly that nobody goes to their ship interiors, but when something like this comes along that could require us to go there, and actually give bridges a purpose in the game, they don't use them.

If you don't give us reasons to go there, of course nobody will.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    I understand the complaint, but it works well for me because my characters live on DS9. It makes a certain amount of sense that DS9 would have the logs because the Lukari are in the quadrant and DS9 is the major Fed installation--but not having that information relayed to ESD does come off a bit unusual.

As for "why not just send it to my ready room" questions--well, maybe it's too Super Ultra Mega Need-to-Know Urgent Top Secret (SUMNUTS) that it can't be transmitted across quadrant boundaries even using the Quantum U-Substitution Elliptical Unbreakable Encryption (QUEUE) algorithm. Something like that, probably.

It's more likely Commander Minna arranges it that way because if you look around Ops, you don't see anyone you'd call a great conversationalist up there, and she stands right next to S'taass. All. The. Time. She just wants to see a new face once in awhile, y'know?
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with them being on DS9. My biggest issue is with them existing at all. I guess LOR introduced doing them and they just keep doing it without any real thought put into it. But having messages or new missions pop up as part of a rep, only makes sense when it's brand new, people are going through it for the first time and it's tied into the missions. i.e. Those messages shouldn't be part of the rep at all IMO. They should be extra little messages or something that come up as you're playing the particular storyline. That way you're actually in the area and they make more sense, giving additional background etc.

Exactly! Thankfully they've finally fixed that with the New Romulus stuff, but they were locked behind the Reputation System for years before that. "Sphere of Influence" made no sense to anyone who didn't go through the Rep.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    Well, the New Rom stuff is fundamentally different in that it was the direct continuation of the storyline, whereas all the rep messages for the Voth, Iconian, Terran, and Temporal reps are nothing but extra side information one doesn't really need to understand the plot at all.

Yep.

They ought to put all this 'lore' information at Memory Alpha - arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1208604/time-to-re-open-memory-alpha-as-a-true-repository-of-knowledge/p1
  • Options
    Noticed this myself and am in total agreement to send them so I can read them on the potty.....I mean in my ready-room.
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    nimbull wrote: »
    I'd rather read them in my ready room.
    Agreed. I'd like to see Cryptic emphasize ship interiors, not starbase interiors. I assume this is a holdover from the Raph Koster school of "make people go to common areas because we don't trust them to socialize on their own".

I like the logs they add background which I'm not always ready to find elsewhere. Having to go to a specific star base is a bit of an insult. I didn't have to fly out to California to learn more about STO after all... ;)

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Still don't get why this is even on the radar of "issues" for people. I mean just don't bother with the logs until you T5 the reps, then stop by on the way to the Badlands, Defera, or the Tzen BZ and click through all of the logs at the same time.

As said before, it's slight annoyance.

This is a discussion forum, we're discussing the issue. If it doesn't bother you then I certainly understand that, but it is an annoyance to me and apparently a few others. It's an archaic and silly process that simply doesn't need to be in the game. Ultimately, I don't expect anything to get changed, but I'm glad it doesn't bother you.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    DS9 is the major Fed installation in the quadrant

I question even that much, myself. It's an old, admittedly crappy Cardassian station not even close to being up to Starfleet standards even before the Dominion war, why would it never be replaced? Logically, there should be a nice roomy and shiny new Starbase there with the original DS9 to the side as a museum / cultural commerce center with all important Starfleet functions headquartered on the new base.​​

cause bajorans, as little sense as it makes, still don't trust the federation. sisko needs to come back and slap some sense into them.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    Just like Windows now has to be a smart phone port, games in general have to be like phone games in that they must take as much of your time as possible. Better metrics that way.
  • Options
    nightken wrote: »

I question even that much, myself. It's an old, admittedly crappy Cardassian station not even close to being up to Starfleet standards even before the Dominion war, why would it never be replaced? Logically, there should be a nice roomy and shiny new Starbase there with the original DS9 to the side as a museum / cultural commerce center with all important Starfleet functions headquartered on the new base.​​

cause bajorans, as little sense as it makes, still don't trust the federation. sisko needs to come back and slap some sense into them.

It's times like this when I ask myself "what would Dukat do?"
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Not much difference between the DS9 Rep Logs and the 'storylines' or what-ever they're called in the News announcements. Except that one is in-game and the other isn't. I don't mind them, but they feel as if someone forgot to do something and just stuck it on after.
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Having it as a mission to look at a log is annoying, but you can hide missions you know. I'd love it if they were to put this, and other things, on your bridge. But I guess they are trying to move people to under-used social zones. I prefer it, at least, to having another item in my inventory for them.
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    Not much difference between the DS9 Rep Logs and the 'storylines' or what-ever they're called in the News announcements. Except that one is in-game and the other isn't. I don't mind them, but they feel as if someone forgot to do something and just stuck it on after.

It would be nice if you could access those old blogs in game. They probably won't be read much in future but they tie into the general stories with background that is glossed over in the actual stories. They could unlock as you complete certain missions, like lore items. So as you play through the Iconian war the old Iconian war blog items become accessible on your ready room terminal.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »

It's times like this when I ask myself "what would Dukat do?"

pre crazy dukat: sleep with one.
    crazy dukat: rant than try to kill em all.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    DS9 would be almost irrelenvet without the nonsense logs stored there though D:
  • Options
    jade1280 wrote: »
    DS9 would be almost irrelenvet without the nonsense logs stored there though D:

The way DS9 currently sits, I'm not so sure that would be a bad thing.

I like the TV show, but the DS9 Zone in STO leaves quite a bit to be desired. I try not to go there if I can avoid it.