test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Havelock's Tailor and Costume Issues

Comments

• Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    I had to check this several times to make sure I was actually seeing the costume combination for real:
    Kitian01_zpsmqudkgeb.png

The character appeared to be human, but the tail is Caitian.
    I can also see what looks like Orion costume options there.
    I brought up their character info, it said they were actually Caitian.
    Now given the extremely small size of this character, I'm starting to think whoever this is has done something not exactly intended/permitted by the tailor.
    It looks like they've mixed together elements of three separate incompatible templates and somehow used the custom alien sizing option as well.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    @aten66, thanks for your direction. I was able to find the "missing" Sphere Builder Scroll top.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    @aten66, thanks for your direction. I was able to find the "missing" Sphere Builder Scroll top.

Yay, glad to be of help!
  • Options
    satsukixhimesatsukixhime Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    I had to check this several times to make sure I was actually seeing the costume combination for real:
    Kitian01_zpsmqudkgeb.png

The character appeared to be human, but the tail is Caitian.
    I can also see what looks like Orion costume options there.
    I brought up their character info, it said they were actually Caitian.
    Now given the extremely small size of this character, I'm starting to think whoever this is has done something not exactly intended/permitted by the tailor.
    It looks like they've mixed together elements of three separate incompatible templates and somehow used the custom alien sizing option as well.

I know this is beating a dead horse for PC, but as a console player, thought I'd add my voice: I would absolutely pay Zen to unlock tailor parts cross faction, even if only as Off Duty slot, and also to get Caitian ears and tails added to Alien parts.

• Options
    @satsukixhime
    Actually, the combination I have shown there isn't permitted, they used an exploit to make it happen.

As to your other point, I would prefer that on-duty/off-duty get eliminated altogether, since it's causing some severe problems with cross-factional BOFFs and costume options.

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Okay, a bit of a different tack here...

Does anyone know if Cryptic has plans to extend chosen facial complexions out to the rest of the body?

I mean, seriously... It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the costume options only included full body coverings and long sleeves, but with the advent of short sleeves, no sleeves, open tops, crop tops, shorts, skirts, and bare chested options, it's rather jarring to have a face with the Coral complexion, but the rest of the body is smooth like a baby's butt. Genetics do not universally work that way.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    satsukixhimesatsukixhime Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    @satsukixhime
    Actually, the combination I have shown there isn't permitted, they used an exploit to make it happen.

As to your other point, I would prefer that on-duty/off-duty get eliminated altogether, since it's causing some severe problems with cross-factional BOFFs and costume options.

I know it's an exploit, hence the dead horse beating; you guys have been begging for years and been pointedly ignored over it. I have to wonder if this is yet another case of the morons at CBS mandating it, as there is no other good reason.
  • Options
    @satsukixhime
    Well, it's a complicated issue to explore.

On the one hand, I think uniforms and species specific clothing should be restricted to those who "own" them.
    After all, there's no reason why a Starfleet officer would be wearing a KDF uniform.

But for the flipside, anything non-uniform specific should be cross-factional.
    I think they should make even more cross factional costumeoptions, to solve the tailor issue I still haven't been able to fix (caused by cross factional limitations).

The reason why I want to get rid of off duty was because I was getting frustrated with buying this costume option, then learning I couldn't use it on a BOFF.

I think the reason the Devs gave was they don't want to do the extra work in making sure all the options are compatible, so they didn't put in any effort.
    I think it requires checking if this tunic is compatible with all these pants etc, because any combination may be used.

To be honest, I like CO's costume system better, you can do a lot of interesting things by combining whatever you want.
    And they recently updated that system to allow even more combinations! :D
    But that could be another reason why they are resisting, they don't want to be like CO.

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    I can understand the need to limit certain costumes to certain categories so that there aren't clipping issues, and to minimize the amount of work the devs have to do regarding costume compatibility. It sucks when you want to try certain combinations, but are unable to due to those restrictions. It's another thing altogether, to restrict certain categories from being used by BOFFs, and placing useful costumes in those restricted categories. Specifically, the Off Duty category. While I'd love to see all costumes merged into one single category with all costumes being able to be used on Captains and BOFFs to maximize customization, locking out BOFFs from using the Off Duty cateogory costumes doesn't seem right. Who wouldn't love to dress out an entire Ferengi crew in the Ferengi Merchant costumes? Or utilize some of the Off Duty jackets to create some original species uniforms?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Seems to me that in recent interviews, the devs have talked about wanting to remove as much restriction from the Tailor as they can - including the restrictions to reputation armors and off duty assets - but it's just a matter of finding the free time, or actual scheduled time, to make the necessary adjustments to things to allow that to happen.

So they want it, but it's going to take time and a lot of work before it can happen.

• Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    @satsukixhime

On the one hand, I think uniforms and species specific clothing should be restricted to those who "own" them.
    After all, there's no reason why a Starfleet officer would be wearing a KDF uniform.

RP. That's why. Some folks play as KDF captains flying fed boats, etc. Or perhaps they're marauders, or Terran empire who captured a klingon ship? Perhaps they're just a klink in disguise? Who knows.

Imo, restrictions being lifted would be great.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    I'm not in favor of that, for many reasons.

But there is one exception I would make, because as I keep mentioning, it messed up my BOFF costume options significantly.
    A cross-factional BOFF, such as the Starfleet Android or the Liberated Borg Engineer when assigned to Romulans should be allowed to use Romulan uniform/costume options.
    After all, if you are a member of someone's crew permanently, it entitles you the right to wear their uniform, as you are technically a member of their military.

The Diplomatic/Marauder Exchange BOFF and the Romulan Liberated Sci Borg should also fall under this category.

• Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    About the Stocking/Knit Cap.....
    I can not make the stripes on the tip match the stripe on the headband parts of this hat.

I am trying to get said stocking/knit hat to match the sweater for my Klingon, character (you see my pic, she has no hair, needs the stocking cap in WW).

The same color # in the boxes gives me sweater matching shade on the headband but the same color # gives me lighter stripes on the tip end. I can't get the two to match at all. Worked fine last year.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    I'm not in favor of that, for many reasons.

But there is one exception I would make, because as I keep mentioning, it messed up my BOFF costume options significantly.
    A cross-factional BOFF, such as the Starfleet Android or the Liberated Borg Engineer when assigned to Romulans should be allowed to use Romulan uniform/costume options.
    After all, if you are a member of someone's crew permanently, it entitles you the right to wear their uniform, as you are technically a member of their military.

The Diplomatic/Marauder Exchange BOFF and the Romulan Liberated Sci Borg should also fall under this category.

Same goes for Alien BOFFs. Romulans should be able to put Romulan uniforms on them. That or make Romulan Alien BOFFs instead of Allied Faction Alien BOFFs.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    About the Stocking/Knit Cap.....
    I can not make the stripes on the tip match the stripe on the headband parts of this hat.

I am trying to get said stocking/knit hat to match the sweater for my Klingon, character (you see my pic, she has no hair, needs the stocking cap in WW).

The same color # in the boxes gives me sweater matching shade on the headband but the same color # gives me lighter stripes on the tip end. I can't get the two to match at all. Worked fine last year.

Problems like this could be solved with a unified costume color palette, I would think.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Problems like this could be solved with a unified costume color palette, I would think.

THIS!!!!

I cannot tell you how many times I've been frustrated at the tailor because I can't color match something with something else.

Another thing that should happen is the idea of MORE colors for all uniforms.

Best options would be an RGB color slider setup so you can really get in there and make a truly unique color scheme. No more of this "A2" or "I9" stuff. Gimme "0,0,0" for pure black through "255,255,255" for pure white, with all the colors in between.

Hell, you could even have a Federation, Romulan, and Klingon preset on there to make it easy to get canonical colors.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
  • Options

THIS!!!!

I cannot tell you how many times I've been frustrated at the tailor because I can't color match something with something else.

Best options would be an RGB color slider setup so you can really get in there and make a truly unique color scheme. No more of this "A2" or "I9" stuff. Gimme "0,0,0" for pure black through "255,255,255" for pure white, with all the colors in between.

Hell, you could even have a Federation, Romulan, and Klingon preset on there to make it easy to get canonical colors.

Really frustrating sometimes trying to color match tops and bottoms, oddly even on those that are designed to go together. And I don't know if that has to do with an error, or color restrictions again, or a difference in material types. (Which could also be a cool addition to have for all costumes, choosing the look of the material: cloth, leather, glossy, metal, etc.)

I would love to have that kind of control over costume colors. Perhaps make a wider, generic, universal color palette with preset colors, then add RGB input boxes for custom colors.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you can't have pure black - the engine renders 0, 0, 0 as full transparency​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

That... Is ridiculous.

Things I want in STO:

• Options

Well, that is just unusual.

In my experience 255,0,255 is the color used for transparency, because it can't be used for anything.
    Black by comparison is used for everything!

• Options
    @satsukixhime

RP. That's why. Some folks play as KDF captains flying fed boats, etc. Or perhaps they're marauders, or Terran empire who captured a klingon ship? Perhaps they're just a klink in disguise? Who knows.

Imo, restrictions being lifted would be great.

I'd love to see some missions that involved disguising your character as a different faction (I.E. Fed character going undercover as a Klingon). It's been done in nearly every one of the series. But as I understand it, the models for Fed and KDF characters would make this impossible.

Still, it would make for some interesting gameplay if you could unlock a new outfit slot when you reach Rank 4 in Espionage that would allow you to create an "undercover" persona, that would only available for use at the hubs of the opposing faction. So a Klingon could go visit ESD, and maybe retrieve some intelligence from a console there or something (and vice versa for Feds).

Of course, since the "war" is technically over, I doubt that would make much sense.

Meh...I'm rambling. Carry on.
  • Options

THIS!!!!

Also in some recent interviews, the devs talked about wanting to do a "universal palette". It's another one of those things they'd like to do if they get the chance. It'd definitely make their jobs a lot easier.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Yeah, but stripes on different areas on the one item looking different when using the same color box? Just weird.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Yeah, but stripes on different areas on the one item looking different when using the same color box? Just weird.

My guess is that it's an issue of the material texture.

Kinda how like jet black leather physically looks different from jet black suede, which also looks different from jet black cotton.

Things I want in STO:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I'd love to see some missions that involved disguising your character as a different faction (I.E. Fed character going undercover as a Klingon). It's been done in nearly every one of the series.

There is a mission that does exactly that, using a holoemitter.
    A Starfleet Captain and their BOFFs take on the appearances of Klingon soldiers for inflitration purposes.
    I can't remember which one, since it was a long time ago.

• Options
    I'd love to see some missions that involved disguising your character as a different faction (I.E. Fed character going undercover as a Klingon). It's been done in nearly every one of the series.

There is a mission that does exactly that, using a holoemitter.
    A Starfleet Captain and their BOFFs take on the appearances of Klingon soldiers for inflitration purposes.
    I can't remember which one, since it was a long time ago.

The Doomsday Device
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    *sigh* I'm joining the ranks of those who wish they'd open up the Tailor so that at least you can use Off Duty stuff on your BOFFs. Getting REAL annoying to have them be in uniform all the time, especially on missions where civvies would be preferable or, in my case, when you're creating the Greek Pantheon and you have to put Aphrodite in a uniform.

Things I want in STO:

• Options
    *sigh* I'm joining the ranks of those who wish they'd open up the Tailor so that at least you can use Off Duty stuff on your BOFFs. Getting REAL annoying to have them be in uniform all the time, especially on missions where civvies would be preferable or, in my case, when you're creating the Greek Pantheon and you have to put Aphrodite in a uniform.

Make her an Orion and dress her all sexy. ;)
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options

Orion costume options are not available on Fed toons without an exploit or hack, and I ain't gonna risk getting banned just to have a stripperiffic costume on a BOFF.

Besides, I was thinking more Formal Wear dress. As it stands, I have her in white and grey wearing a skirt, boots, and a Mirrorverse croptop sleeveless Sierra uniform.

Things I want in STO:

• Options

Orion costume options are not available on Fed toons without an exploit or hack, and I ain't gonna risk getting banned just to have a stripperiffic costume on a BOFF.

Besides, I was thinking more Formal Wear dress. As it stands, I have her in white and grey wearing a skirt, boots, and a Mirrorverse croptop sleeveless Sierra uniform.

An Orion Diplomacy BOFF is still capable of wearing KDF uniforms, that includes the unique Orion clothing.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options

An Orion Diplomacy BOFF is still capable of wearing KDF uniforms, that includes the unique Orion clothing.

1) I don't have an Orion Diplomacy BOFF.
    2) If I did, I wouldn't make her one of the Pantheon, as they're all "alien" characters that simply resemble humans, albeit being 7'0 or more (based on Torso and Leg lengths).

Things I want in STO: