test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Havelock's Tailor and Costume Issues

Comments

• Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    I've seen it too, and I agree that it's not very immersive to see folks running around in bikini's on ESD, but I just make myself remember that there were times when officers walked around in odd costumes to and from the holodeck on The Next Generation, and write it off as a similar situation in my own head canon

I suppose if it was restricted to the Stations, I might let it go.
    But to see someone doing an Elite STF ground run in their swimsuits, well, the only thought in my head is "put on your armor!"

Also, isn't it against Starfleet regulations to not wear uniforms while on duty?
    Captain or not, you aren't getting away with that!

To be honest, I suspect the offenders are players from games where you can battle in a glorified bikini and therefore specifically looked for the bypass to allow them to do this in STO.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    I'm in favor of removing some of - if not most - restrictions on costumes, particularly the reputation armors, so that we have more customization options on hand. I know it messes with immersion, but we have to remind ourselves that this is a game, so more options that allow players to play the way they want is an attractive thing and the norm in most MMO's.

Regardless of all of that, I'm totally on board with allowing customization on Boffs that are locked into one look. I don't quite understand the choice to limit their customization, as the ability to customize everything is one of the best features of the game. I'm sure it comes down to the fact that they would have to make sure that all of the costume pieces work with these specific models, but as you said, in the case of the Reman, they're already in the game, so the customization options are available already (however there may be a problem with the factional restrictions on the programming side that we're not aware of).

I too have several of these Boffs taking up space in my Boff list, waiting to be commissioned, because I can't customize them, so what's the point.

I would agree with removing most of the costume restrictions though I was heartened when they added many of the non-uniform specific clothes to the tailor across factions not too long ago, it's been very useful.

What I'd like would be to have additional costume slots for BOFFs, that are synched to Captain slots. So if I switch from dress uniform to a civilian outfit like the Winter event clothes, then my BOFFs will also swap. If I want to do a combat uniform like the Odyssey Excursion then my away team switches, and if I want everyone in their armor, then it's a single click in the mission instead of having to manually load the outfits in the tailor.

tilarta wrote: »
    That's actually a concern of mine as well.
    I have a Klingon liberated Borg and as I don't like dreadlocks, I wanted to give her sleek, smoothed down hair.
    Went through every option there was, nothing like what I wanted.
    Do Klingons even know what combs and hairbrushes are?

So yes, I'd like a revamp that grants more hairstyles, especially if it allows me to create something other then the standard grunge wannabe look.

Actually if you look at TOS Movie Klingons they all have straight hair as a general statement. Locks as a Klingon look are almost a fabrication of this game, though I think it's just a poor low res attempt to emulate Captain Klaa's legendary rocker perm.

Klaa.jpg

I'd also like more braid options like the Klingon Braids which are excellent, and braids for the other species with smaller foreheads.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    On the Klingon Kelvin gauntlets, on male boffs, it only shows one color option when it should show two.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I have a Klingon liberated Borg and as I don't like dreadlocks, I wanted to give her sleek, smoothed down hair.
    Went through every option there was, nothing like what I wanted.

Actually if you look at TOS Movie Klingons they all have straight hair as a general statement. Locks as a Klingon look are almost a fabrication of this game, though I think it's just a poor low res attempt to emulate Captain Klaa's legendary rocker perm.

I assumed it started somewhere in TNG, not the game.
    And we just got stuck with bad hair days permanently because of it!

I wonder if there was a costume unlock for TOS Klingon hair in AoY.
    Since I have never played it, if you have and there are unlocks like that, please let me know.

Took one look at Captain Klaa and thought, somebody enjoys holding onto Van Der Graaff Generators! :D

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Actually, even in TNG, Klingons were still wearing their hair straight most of the time. I have a few Duras sisters images that I use as references in my on-going quest to try to work out a Klingon full-length dress design with the in-game tailor (since they never seem to want to give us one, just skirts) and Lursa and B'Etor both had long, semi-straight hair (frizzy/curly, but definitely not dreadlocks).
    Since I have never played it, if you have and there are unlocks like that, please let me know.

Somewhat - since the TOS days didn't have the fancy ridges and whatnot that came in with Worf and TNG, KDF Klingons (not Starfleet ones, though, unfortunately) now have access to a 'Humanoid' head option as well as 'Ridged' and then you can use the various 'Close' hairstyles to imitate the TOS males or 'Bun' either... 2 or 3, I think it is, to get Mara's hair from TOS: "Day of The Dove". I don't know if it's bound to completing AoY: "Battle of Caleb IV" like some of the other TOS options, though...
    (Still somewhat bitter that, after it was originally available for all Captains, the TOS Sash got restricted to KDF Captains only - my Starfleet Klingons were not amused...)

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Actually, even in TNG, Klingons were still wearing their hair straight most of the time. I have a few Duras sisters images that I use as references in my on-going quest to try to work out a Klingon full-length dress design with the in-game tailor (since they never seem to want to give us one, just skirts) and Lursa and B'Etor both had long, semi-straight hair (frizzy/curly, but definitely not dreadlocks).

Somewhat - since the TOS days didn't have the fancy ridges and whatnot that came in with Worf and TNG, KDF Klingons (not Starfleet ones, though, unfortunately) now have access to a 'Humanoid' head option as well as 'Ridged' and then you can use the various 'Close' hairstyles to imitate the TOS males or 'Bun' either... 2 or 3, I think it is, to get Mara's hair from TOS: "Day of The Dove". I don't know if it's bound to completing AoY: "Battle of Caleb IV" like some of the other TOS options, though...
    (Still somewhat bitter that, after it was originally available for all Captains, the TOS Sash got restricted to KDF Captains only - my Starfleet Klingons were not amused...)

Indeed. Lursa and B'etor's hair is crimped, not dreadlocked. I'd love to see more klingon hairstyles and forehead types. :)

2jcwk79.jpg
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    After trying and failing to solve this problem, I have a new suggestion.

Remove off-duty outfits as a category so that we can mix&match these options with uniforms.
    And hopefully solve the problem in the thread above.

• Options
    captainfoucaultcaptainfoucault Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Not sure if this has been raised before (I'm guess it has, but you never know), but is there any way of fixing the Omega/MACO/Honor Guard armor so the sets that used to be locked behind various dummied out achievements are usable again, like the Omega Harvester style (or for that matter, those other two styles that apparently exist but aren't accessible at all).

And perhaps while they're doing that, can we get access to the black color scheme some NPCs (like that holo-tac officer) have for Maco armor?
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    With the new update all of the female Saurian eyes are displaced in their skulls. This causes them to clip through the the front of their heads.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Sphere Builder hood options aren't available for a number of playable races, including Nausicaans, Letheans, and Orion males.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Don't know if this was mentioned yet but the temporal battle suit and helmet can only be won by the Captain. The bridge officers can wear the helmet but the uniform option is greyed out.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    captainlysiak1captainlysiak1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    This is not so much an issue as it is a pet peeve, but I have a very difficult time with hairstyles because it's so hard to control where the hairline sits. Granted, you get a level of control if you change skull height, but even then certain hairstyles like the undercut leave foreheads that are too small or unrealistic.

As someone who spends hours obsessively tweaking character features, it's frustrating to have crazy hairlines or not be able to point the nose up *just so* to make your character look exactly the way you want them (or exactly like you look).

A lot of the hairstyles are just weird (I'm looking at you, messy short) and the fact that I can't get the romulan specific ones on my federation alien character is kinda lame.
  • Options
    captainlysiak1captainlysiak1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I've also noticed a lot of clipping in my off duty > bare chest > Khan uniform, which wouldn't be so bad except that it's in the shoulders and when he runs it clips through alternating sides.

Another thing I hate is the fact that my fed alien character can't have just normal bare hands and feet in off duty > beachwear separates
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    This is an issue with the tailor interface itself: Since Lighting 2.0 went live, the default light in the tailor is very bright and bloomy. While bloom can be controlled on the player side, the bright lighting can make it hard to accurately pick colors. Changing between the three lighting presets (which are all very bright now) also changes the new (old?) starfield backdrop to a single solid color depending on the map chosen.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    @dragonsbrethren I noticed that, too. I actually like the change to the Tailor background (getting rid of the Holodeck background). I especially like the plain black background. I hope it stays. I'd like to be able to use it to make a composite pic of my ship's crew.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    I haven't looked at the tailor in this patch, but if the holodeck background is absent, then I approve of this change, as it has weight.

It always ruined my screenshots to have the visual kibble in the background when I just wanted a picture of the Captain or BOFFs.

• Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Character: Noir@dragonsbrethren
    Affecting: Captain
    Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/0qkJP

Under Lighting 2.0, it is no longer possible to match the Iconian Vest Upper to the Lower. On the pictured outfit, I am using P1 for the black on each piece. In the tailor, this looks like it matches, but on an actual map, the pants appear much lighter and bluer than the vest. This was never noticeable under the old lighting.

I've seen some other outfit pieces that look a little lighter under the new lighting, but nothing else with this dramatic of a difference, especially considering these pieces are part of the same outfit, so it's almost expected that they can be color matched.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    @dragonsbrethren I noticed that, too. I actually like the change to the Tailor background (getting rid of the Holodeck background). I especially like the plain black background. I hope it stays. I'd like to be able to use it to make a composite pic of my ship's crew.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I see the same blurry background that I've seen since "Agents of Yesterday: Artifacts" was released. It's a general depth-of-field issue that affects the tailor, the ship tailor, and the contact window.

Holodeck ticket 4,134,286: Depth of field too shallow in contact window
    Holodeck ticket 4,134,293: Depth of field too shallow in the tailor and ship tailor
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    @frtoaster Are you using the new lighting/graphics settings? I'm not sure if that has any bearing on it, but since the update, it would seem some of us can remove the holodeck background in the Tailor. I've been able to do it by changing the lighting option in the Tailor from the default. Various lighting settings change not only the lighting, but also remove the holodeck background and replace it with a different color background, ex) ESD lighting places the character on a blue background, I believe. Changing it back to default lighting doesn't restore the holodeck background, but rather places the character on a black background.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    @frtoaster Are you using the new lighting/graphics settings?

See khamseenair's comment in my bug report and my reply to it.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13104348/#Comment_13104348
    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/comment/13104430/#Comment_13104430

I'm not sure if that has any bearing on it, but since the update, it would seem some of us can remove the holodeck background in the Tailor. I've been able to do it by changing the lighting option in the Tailor from the default. Various lighting settings change not only the lighting, but also remove the holodeck background and replace it with a different color background, ex) ESD lighting places the character on a blue background, I believe. Changing it back to default lighting doesn't restore the holodeck background, but rather places the character on a black background.

Interesting, but are you sure this isn't a bug? I agree it would be nice to have a blank background in the tailor, but that should be separate option, not some weird side effect of the order in which you change the settings.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I'm not sure if that has any bearing on it, but since the update, it would seem some of us can remove the holodeck background in the Tailor. I've been able to do it by changing the lighting option in the Tailor from the default. Various lighting settings change not only the lighting, but also remove the holodeck background and replace it with a different color background, ex) ESD lighting places the character on a blue background, I believe. Changing it back to default lighting doesn't restore the holodeck background, but rather places the character on a black background.

Interesting, but are you sure this isn't a bug? I agree it would be nice to have a blank background in the tailor, but that should be separate option, not some weird side effect of the order in which you change the settings.

That's what @dragonsbrethren and I were talking about. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but I like it.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    I think it's a bug.
    There was certainly a background when I went to the tailor.

And then another bug reared it's head, there was some kind of excessive memory demand and all the costume "cards" turned invisible, both my Captain and BOFF outfits.
    This was on a KDF Captain.

So in conclusion, it is a safe assumption that something is wrong here.

• Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    I've been MIA from the world of costumes, and even in the middle, took a break from STO, but I came back! I just purchased the Sphere Builder Outfit box from the Lobi store. And there's a problem, one part didn't unlock. And what do you know? My thread is still alive and well. That's great!

So:

Opened ticket #161128-001763
    Character: Havelock Vetinari@PatricianVetinari. Human Male, Fed Tac captain.

The problem:
    The basic costume, head wrap, shirt, pants, and boots unlock fine. Also the Sphere Builder Scroll pants exist, but the Sphere Builder Scroll shirt is missing. See this picture:

http://imgur.com/Uk7f6Cv.jpg

I've checked all possible upper menus and I could not find it. Please fix. I'd like to use the scrolled outfit.

Thanks.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I've been MIA from the world of costumes, and even in the middle, took a break from STO, but I came back! I just purchased the Sphere Builder Outfit box from the Lobi store. And there's a problem, one part didn't unlock. And what do you know? My thread is still alive and well. That's great!

So:

The problem:
    The basic costume, head wrap, shirt, pants, and boots unlock fine. Also the Sphere Builder Scroll pants exist, but the Sphere Builder Scroll shirt is missing. See this picture:

I've checked all possible upper menus and I could not find it. Please fix. I'd like to use the scrolled outfit.

Thanks.

@lordhavelock Can't access your pic at the moment, but I noticed it creates a new option at the very bottom of the uppers category when you have Sphere Builder shirt slotted. It allows you to choose sphere builder scrollwork overlay on the upper piece. I find it weird they just didn't make two separate costume tops, but they made it a piece only accessible when Sphere Builder top is on.
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I don't know if this has been addressed (I don't have the time to go through 66 pages of posts), but I recently acquired the Herald Tactical Armor from the Lobi Store to use for a BOFF.

Now, the Herald Uniform (purchased for another character) allows for mixing with other uniform parts (and looks absolutely awesome when coupled with KDF uniform parts), but when I tried to do the same thing with the Tactical Armor, I find that I am unable to mix and match like I want (I hate the Armor Circuits option). Is this intentional or a bug? I'm leaning towards 'bug' because I can equip the helmet with other uniform parts, but nothing else.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options
    I don't know if this has been addressed (I don't have the time to go through 66 pages of posts), but I recently acquired the Herald Tactical Armor from the Lobi Store to use for a BOFF.

Now, the Herald Uniform (purchased for another character) allows for mixing with other uniform parts (and looks absolutely awesome when coupled with KDF uniform parts), but when I tried to do the same thing with the Tactical Armor, I find that I am unable to mix and match like I want (I hate the Armor Circuits option). Is this intentional or a bug? I'm leaning towards 'bug' because I can equip the helmet with other uniform parts, but nothing else.

There are many armors/costumes that are intentionally restricted from mixing and matching. Not sure if the Herald Tactical Armor is one of those, but I would not be surprised if this was working as intended.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User

There are many armors/costumes that are intentionally restricted from mixing and matching. Not sure if the Herald Tactical Armor is one of those, but I would not be surprised if this was working as intended.

This doesn't explain how I can equip the helmet, though. Literally, I can put the character into a bog standard Odyssey uniform and add the helmet to it.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • Options

This doesn't explain how I can equip the helmet, though. Literally, I can put the character into a bog standard Odyssey uniform and add the helmet to it.

Possibly because Head Gear falls under a different category than the rest of the armor/costume.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    aten66 wrote: »

So:

The problem:

Thanks.

@lordhavelock Can't access your pic at the moment, but I noticed it creates a new option at the very bottom of the uppers category when you have Sphere Builder shirt slotted. It allows you to choose sphere builder scrollwork overlay on the upper piece. I find it weird they just didn't make two separate costume tops, but they made it a piece only accessible when Sphere Builder top is on.

@aten66, I didn't even think of looking for that (since there wasn't such a "texture" option for the pants). I'll check it out when I get home. Thank you.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    aten66 wrote: »

So:

The problem:

Thanks.

@aten66, I didn't even think of looking for that (since there wasn't such a "texture" option for the pants). I'll check it out when I get home. Thank you.

If you look at your own picture, there is a option called undershirt to the side, under the back options.