What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance [June 25th, 2015]

Comments

• Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    paterdave wrote: »
    So for us in europe we can't get our vouchers today and so. how are you gonna fix that?
    My guess is, they will laugh, pat you on the head condescendingly and say "Awww, isn't he cute?"

IOW, they won't fix it. There's nothing to fix. Read the Terms of Service - nowhere do they guarantee any uptime at all. They could take it down for maintenance, *leave* it down for a month, and they owe you nothing.

"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    so....how about the info for the weekly reward of the Featured Episode?
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    ilithyn wrote: »
    paterdave wrote: »
    So for us in europe we can't get our vouchers today and so. how are you gonna fix that?

As I said, I'm a European too. And I have been unable to do Flying High since Monday, due to Risa having got even worse than normal after Monday's maintenance. So I have "wasted" three days, but I doubt I'll be compensated for it.

It's not really that huge of a deal, guys. The ship project requires 25 Flying High dailies over the course of a 42 day event.

Yes I know it's not a big deal. I was aiming for sarcasm, but may not have quite pulled it off. (My sarcasm attack bonus disappears when my caffeine bar isn't fully charged :p ). Because yes, it's three more days I have to do and I have until the 16th after all. Unless I started very late, and I didn't I have plenty of time to finish it.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    In all honesty, the lag both visual and connection (there's a distinction between the two) has been my constant point of contention that I've been hammering a lot of people about. It has required a lot of my attention and has filled up my time. But it's pretty damn important.

~LaughingTrendy
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    So STO is still down? So thats why i couldn't stars the launcher today?
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    First off, for your viewing pleasure - http://imgur.com/gallery/8yhdi

Second off, little bit of a status update. We've got some good progress coming in so far. Things tentatively are looking good. I believe this network maintenance will be affecting lines through Internap and Cogent (gasp) and improving those connections. This is especially relevant as I am aware some EU players (especially those in Germany) are bound through one line that needed some love and attention. We're working on giving you that love and attention. Yeehaw.

~LaughingTrendy

Yeah, a fleetmate in the UK once did a trace and it piped through the same lines as us on the US East coast.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    dangifinodangifino Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Yeah, a fleetmate in the UK once did a trace and it piped through the same lines as us on the US East coast.

There are services that claim to be able to reduce intercontinental lag by secure "tunneling" .

This is not a sales pitch, but a free trial of one of them might be an interesting experiment.

Only one that springs to mind is "Battleping", but there are several out there.

I'm lost.
    I've gone to find myself.
    If I should return before I get back,
    please ask me to wait.
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    There's a lot of lag from the UI. It's especially noticeable if you leave the game on for a while- like, memory leak levels of noticeable. UI on = super laggy. UI off = almost no lag.
  • Options
    kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    6 hours to fix the graphics lag is a price I'd gladly pay every week if I had to.

My rig might not be the beastliest, but it certainly shouldn't chug along like it does, even with conservative settings.

I bought the thing specifically to be able to run STO full tilt =P (Then we got a couple engine updates, but still, I'm not able to run it on the same settings as I was my 8 year old laptop that I replaced...)

Yay, framerate!
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • Options
    dangifinodangifino Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    illcadia wrote: »
    There's a lot of lag from the UI. It's especially noticeable if you leave the game on for a while- like, memory leak levels of noticeable. UI on = super laggy. UI off = almost no lag.

If you're a mutant like me who is online 8+ hours a day, then yes. You are correct. The client hoses memory and drive access after time. The only way to correct that is a cold boot..

To make matters worse, tab out to your voice comms, or a browser page now and then. Haha... 5 FPS in even the most meager of situations.

He's dead Jim.

I'm lost.
    I've gone to find myself.
    If I should return before I get back,
    please ask me to wait.
  • Options
    ringomogirebeamringomogirebeam Member Posts: 1
    Any idea of when everything will be back on ?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Also, FYI the reason I'm usually hesitant about giving constant timeline updates is the maintenance process involves a lot of moving pieces. Some will take longer than expected, some shorter. As is the case of today. We might tentatively extend the total window to 1 to be safe, though our current expectation is still 12.
  • Options
    The team wants to put a 1pm PDT window just to be safe.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

I REALLY hope this will actually significantly improve gameplay conditions for a large majority of players.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Any idea on when we'll at least be able to start downloading the patch? Barring that, could you at least say about how big the patch is? I'm worried that with the extended maintenance that if it is a somewhat large patch, I won't be able to get it downloaded and still have time to play today, so it'd be nice to plan ahead to find something else to do today.

The last thing I want to do is sit here waiting for the patch server to come up only to find it's a 2+ gig download. Which with everyone else hammering the patch server at the relative same time would mean my already slow download speed would become even slower. Making even a 500mb patch likely require 2-3 hours.

The patch notes look small so it could end up being a fairly small patch. Which is what I'm hoping for.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    welshavengerwelshavenger Member Posts: 30 Arc User

Thanks for the update Trendy.

Fall-of-the-Babbage_zpsa9omaksh.jpg
  • Options
    miketalonnycmiketalonnyc Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    maracroft wrote: »
    you can tell from some of the posts that some people have no idea what is involved in server maintenance

I do (it's part of my day-job) and there are a lot of ways to keep a multi-homed system like this available while maintenance is performed. If it was a single-server system, then yes, you're going to take downtime. An MMO is a widely distributed system, so while an outage will happen for major network updates, it should be short and be used to shunt connectivity to another site while the primary site is upgraded.

Alternately, you can side-build the new network config. Then during a standard outage (which they do weekly) you switch over to the new config. More expensive, but much more seamless.

I agree that weekly maintenance is required, and that means downtime. But two outages in one week, and one lasting 1/4 of an entire day... I'm not sure they can expect to do that and not feel some backlash. Not to mention that with all these changes in one week, there are going to be inevitable emergency patches. So we'll have at least one more outage on top of these two.

I do not fault them for taking outages for updates/upgrades. I fault them on not managing the process well at all.
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Any idea on when we'll at least be able to start downloading the patch? Barring that, could you at least say about how big the patch is? I'm worried that with the extended maintenance that if it is a somewhat large patch, I won't be able to get it downloaded and still have time to play today, so it'd be nice to plan ahead to find something else to do today.

The last thing I want to do is sit here waiting for the patch server to come up only to find it's a 2+ gig download. Which with everyone else hammering the patch server at the relative same time would mean my already slow download speed would become even slower. Making even a 500mb patch likely require 2-3 hours.

The patch notes look small so it could end up being a fairly small patch. Which is what I'm hoping for.
    The reason why the maintenance window was extended was due to the presence of an issue specifically with patching. That's what we're looking into right now.
  • Options
    botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The game has been totally fubar for me since Season 10, heavy lag in a lot of places, constant crashes, almost every session when I had maybe one in a month before.

So everything done to change that, I can only applaud, if it works.

All I want to do today is on Risa, so that I don't need another day more for the ship, because I'm getting tired of this event.
    Post edited by botc76 on
  • Options
    jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    HmHm ... using https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/pdt telling me that my current time of 20:23 is 11:23 over there ... meaning the current estimate of 13:00 PDT equals 22:00 Europe Time

Pretty Countdown Timer

• Options
    kanonistiskanonistis Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    reggielove wrote: »
    and the game mechanics have been revamped into something really nifty!

Are you sure you've actaully tried STO recently? There are more bugs than ever, even most of the old bugs now have bugs of their own.

Half the stuff in the game is broken because they are constantly pushing new content and not fixing stuff that is clearly broken (Zaria mission and Dyson ground battlezone outskirts still crash on a regular basis, although that was "fixed" in the patch from two weeks ago).

Gear upgrade system doesn't give proper rarity percentage (when it says 20% rarity incerase it's more like 6.4% according to actual results sampled on 60 upgrades done in the last two weeks).

Bridge officer loadouts still don't work as advertised and there's no chance you can have your BOFF ground abilities remembered between two ground missions, they reset to something of their own every time you land on ground after doing space content (best guess, for each slot you get those abilities to whatever's alphabetically first) so i have to spend at least 30 seconds resetting my boffs abilities to what I want to use before i can actually start doing a mission.

XP and specialization point gathering is at an all time low, raw dilithium is being harder to earn than ever (sometimes you don't even get the promised amount of dilithium when you do some of the content because of all the new mechanisms in place to enhance the grind, such as taking 4 points in the city on Dyson ground on your own while others wait for the three boss Dinos and then shooting the boss from full health to defeating it gets you only 5 dilithium because they went about limiting exploiters in a totally moronic way and it really doesn't do anything because zone jumpers still get the most out of their zone jumping and other still very present exploits).

Oh and let's not forget the new most irritating "feature" you get a prompt for away team choice any time you step into any tranporter in any ground "zone" that sometimes crashes the game after you close it or confirm selection. And it also crashes the crash reporter so you can't report the issue. Go figure

And don't even get me started on the lag issue, it's borderline criminally insane for European users, but we are used to being treated as second grade customers, so no use complaining about that either and no use buying anything in-game for real money.

Those are the things that pissed me off while trying to play today, i don't even want to look into the black notebook.

But to even notice any of this stuff, people who work on the game should log in to the holodeck via normal internet connection that routes through several telecoms and dozens of internet routers... and *gasp* actually do stuff with other players without using their "dev magic"... i doubt that happens at all.

Used to bother me quite a lot back when i had a habit of buying zen occasionally, thank God I didn't react on my first impulse, therefore never went lifetime sub on this game. I'd have kittens a lot!

I have a little black notebook full of such examples, some of those issues even recorded through raptr, used to post bug reports and care about it, not anymore because devs don't care either. Or they don't have time because of the all half-thought and carelessly put together content they have to push out on a weekly basis (Time in a bottle being a pleasant surprise, really, but i'm sure Tacofangs was mostly behind that one, i can see his "attention to details" signature all over that one)

So I wouldn't be too cheerful about the new sector space map because that's about the only thing that was done right in the last 6-8 months (and also bugged beyond belief but at least slowly being fixed)... I'm sure you'll take another sabbatical in about 2-3 weeks once you hit the wall of insane XP grind, broken stuff, bugs and crashes.

My Words...
    Fleet Leader: Hellenic Space Force
    Characters FED: TAC Ponos - TAC Tromos - ENG Athena - ROM TAC Phovos - SCI Martyrium - REM Apatros
    Fleet: La Familia: SCI Stave
    KDF Fleet: Syndicate of Shadows: ENG Sha'Kal

• Options
    arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    dangifino wrote: »
    illcadia wrote: »

If you're a mutant like me who is online 8+ hours a day, then yes. You are correct. The client hoses memory and drive access after time. The only way to correct that is a cold boot..

To make matters worse, tab out to your voice comms, or a browser page now and then. Haha... 5 FPS in even the most meager of situations.
    you can fix that if you flush your memory.

i use a program called simply "memory cleaner", with it i can force windows to empty out most of unused memory, which includes sto's, browser ram and often the unused junk ram that keeps stuffing up the system and doesn't go away until a reboot.

http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • Options
    kanonistiskanonistis Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    First off, for your viewing pleasure - http://imgur.com/gallery/8yhdi

Second off, little bit of a status update. We've got some good progress coming in so far. Things tentatively are looking good. I believe this network maintenance will be affecting lines through Internap and Cogent (gasp) and improving those connections. This is especially relevant as I am aware some EU players (especially those in Germany) are bound through one line that needed some love and attention. We're working on giving you that love and attention. Yeehaw.

~LaughingTrendy

its NSA`s fault. They spy the germans so much that the internet crashes
    Fleet Leader: Hellenic Space Force
    Characters FED: TAC Ponos - TAC Tromos - ENG Athena - ROM TAC Phovos - SCI Martyrium - REM Apatros
    Fleet: La Familia: SCI Stave
    KDF Fleet: Syndicate of Shadows: ENG Sha'Kal

• Options
    denniskr87denniskr87 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    Just work, no rush at all...
    In all honesty, the lag both visual and connection (there's a distinction between the two) has been my constant point of contention that I've been hammering a lot of people about. It has required a lot of my attention and has filled up my time. But it's pretty damn important.

~LaughingTrendy

I think that most lag coming from to mouch visual fx(powers)... First at this state they kill users eyes(even on low), then they kill users pc, and at last,whan all that data go to your server, they kill him too... Also they kill gameplay when there is lot of NPC-s,and players... At that point, it's dificult to find yourself when that fireworks starts... Truth is,game engine is to old for all that..

• Options
    kxawzitan#2738 kxawzitan Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    im not sure if anyone has the same problem however is anyone having issues with loading the launcher?
    Kxawzìtan
    STO Veteran, 7 years

Kaltxì ma tsmuk!
    Oeru sunu Star Trek Online nìtxan! Oe tsauvan alu Star Trek Online salmeiyi akrrta zìsìt amevozamvomun. Kehe, oe ke lu lekye'ung, fìlì'fyari oe poltxeie!

Hello friend!
    I like Star Trek Online very much! I have played STO since 2012. No, I am not crazy, I speak that language!

Bashing events like there's no tomorrow
    Making marks against my foes!
    Through darkness came the light!
    Kxamlä tìvawm ma'u atan!
  • Options
    miketalonnycmiketalonnyc Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    im not sure if anyone has the same problem however is anyone having issues with loading the launcher?

Yes... the Launcher servers are offline right now, so it can't connect to them..