Install Arc
Options

Direct3D Fatal Error

Comments

• Options
    chastitymarkschastitymarks Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I got this message :

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (E-OUTOFMEMORY)
    while Locking vertex buffer

Yesterday the game worked and this day it chrashes everytime before i got to the character selecrion screen. that is frustrating.
  • Options
    voodookingsgvoodookingsg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi

Can you guys try to enable safe mode in the launcher and then launch the game. If it starts succesfully, change to windowed full screen mode.

I have a MSI laptop that can't play STO in fullscreen mode as it will crash at loading screen with the above messages. It plays fine in fullscreen windowed mode howerer.
  • Options
    sovakofvulcansovakofvulcan Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yeah safe mode is the only way to get into the game for the people with this problem...
    And then only with minimum graphics ability
    Admiral Jisil T'ror
    Admiral Sovak
    “Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers...”
  • Options
    douglas1366douglas1366 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So no one has posted here in awhile, am i the only one left with this issue ? How do i log in safe mode is guess. Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
  • Options
    stronspearstronspear Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    nope still got it here only way I can get in is with safe mode and windowed display which sucks with tiny icons etc
  • Options
    silverskyhigh2silverskyhigh2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Funny I was able to log in just fine today until they decided to take it down for that emergency maintenance and well guess what crash after crash after crash. CRYPTIC, get your $h!t in order and fix the game completely.
  • Options
    martpsxmartpsx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »

getting same problem and no feedback from cryptic.....

just as well i didnt buy any zen from them if this is how they treat players
  • Options
    revan424revan424 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is getting ridiculous, i have been unable to play since the upgrade, played fine before the expansion. i have sent numerous tickets and break reports in. i have put plenty of money in this game, this is getting old, fix it now
  • Options
    highcasualtyratehighcasualtyrate Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm getting this as well. Needs further testing on my part, but the 2 times I've gotten this crash I had just pressed GO on Slipstream drive in sector space, before I was flying at regular warp just fine...maybe just a co-inky dink?

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while checking sync query.

Technical details: Sync Query 6 0x1d214140 GetData == 0x887a0005 0 NF
    D3D11 Device Removed due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
    0x887a0005

Alienware Area 51 system
    2x GeForce GTX480 SLI
    latest Nvidia driver 344.11
  • Options
    marcian001marcian001 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Funny i have the same problems , with one difference . I can play some time, sometimes 30 minutes then 5 it is absolute random.

Game Crashes and my Ati Radeon R9 290 too. So it sticks to 3d mode even at the desktop, so you have to restart the whole pc.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well I too have been having this issue and, it seemed to have caused my driver for my GeForce gtx 560 to become corrupted, along with causing the card to no longer function properly.

Now it is even doing this with my onboard GPU as well but, doesn't seem to be causing the GPU to fail using anything else thnk god.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have had this error since the delta crashing patch a few weeks ago.

Geforce 210, windows 7. have updated to lateest drivers.

Safe mode thing works for me though, but the game looks so lame and I have only logged in to refine dils, to avoid anything too stressful on the gameclient and also because everything looks so lame when safemode is on :(
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, I had to install a brand spanking new gpu and, it is working thus far but, it seems when this error occurred, my old gpu took a complete dump at the exact same time.

Back to the manufacturer with that card, had it 2yrs working perfect, comes with a 3yr warranty.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    after last patch still delta crashing. still getting the direct3d Fatal error -DXGI error when it is loading at the Delta rising screen.

but now have managed to get a pair of crutches so it is more like Delta Limping.

I have managed to get it to work using safe mode as before

Also when i go in game I can reset the graphics options to the way they were before so I can play decently again.

So it is now Delta Limping or Delta Hobbling, or maybe Delta in a wheelchair with an adrenaline shot. :P

I have not played for extended period of time yet, will do a mission later tonight or tomorrow and tell you if it crashes

So the source of the error (for me at least) is probably the delta rising splash screen which is when it always crashes. there is something wrong with graphics for the splash screen probably.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It seems like they possibly didn't bother or, don't care to bother with optimizing the game client software for, older outdated cards + drivers and, even most onboard cards + drivers.

Guessing they prefer to work on stand alone gpus +drivers and, even than it isn't fully optimized for all of them either.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The game works fine on my Geforce 210. Its just the "Delta Rising" splash screen which is messed up

It always crashes me unless i turn it to safe mode before I load it.

When I get in game I can reset the game graphics settings to high and it works fine.

I suppose it may get fixed when they get to a new version and make a new splash screen?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    had a small hope it would be fixed when i saw this in update notes
    Resolved an issue which would cause the Gateway to crash when attempting to log in.

not sure what exactly is meant by gateway

anyway still broken for me. it is the splash screen which is crashing it for me.

can go in game fine. can play with graphics settings on high, or max with no problems
  • Options
    edekarsaickeredekarsaicker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There are two threads on this now with over 10,000 views.

Clearly this is a major problem for a lot of people.

Can we get some attention on this or a response from Cryptic please?
  • Options
    eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    Aaaa huh ... so this is the issue we're talking about. GeForce GTX 590 for me ... and since Delta Rising, I have the crash right after the black CRYPTIC loading screen. So THIS is causing it! It's the Delta Rising splash screen!

You know, the funny thing is ... when I was on Windows 8, this all is no problem at all. Butt when I upgrade my system to Windows 8.1 (which I can only delay, butt not avoid), excatly THIS happens to me. Why?! Please, Cryptic, just - until this is solved - take out the entire DR splash screen and replace it with the phaser man or anything, just not THAT screen which obviously causes a lot of GPU's to crash! And this also explains why the game works purrfectly fine on my crappy lappy with Windows Vista. There is now only two ways: Either I go back to Windows 7 on my main computer to avoid an upgrade to Windows 8.1 automatically, or you get rid of the DR loading screen for a while until the issue is solved.

Thank you.
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • Options
    wolfehunterswolfehunters Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It seems like they possibly didn't bother or, don't care to bother with optimizing the game client software for, older outdated cards + drivers and, even most onboard cards + drivers.

Guessing they prefer to work on stand alone gpus +drivers and, even than it isn't fully optimized for all of them either.

Not just older cards. Mine is a brand new ati 290x. Only this game crashes with the DX11 issue. On DX9se mode its less soo but still present. From the articles I've read from other players. this been going on for a year. Neverwinter online have it to. I'm using windows 7 64bit. Going back to older OS won't fix it. Tweaking your drivers won't fix it.. Cryptic has to fix bugs they have made. After about a year with this issue will they fix it? I doubt it..

I am curious when windows 10 is out with the newer directx I wonder what cryptic going todo? Forcing use to use old dx9?

If your reading this cryptic.. Its time to fix your game. Make it stable. I don't care if its DX9 or DX11 as long as I stop getting these client related video driver crash.
  • Options
    edekarsaickeredekarsaicker Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I re-install STO to another area of my hard drive and it seems to have solved the problem.

Not sure if this will solve it for everyone but hopefully might help someone. :)
  • Options
    wolfehunterswolfehunters Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I re-install STO to another area of my hard drive and it seems to have solved the problem.

Not sure if this will solve it for everyone but hopefully might help someone. :)

Tried your idea.. No change.. Client still crashes on a fresh new install and in a new location.

This is a code issue. They have to fix it.. no matter how much we tried to find solutions we can't fix this. All we can do is try to make the client workable. working with directx 9 seems to make this game playable.. but crashes still happen just less frequent.
  • Options
    synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Been having this problem as well the past couple of weeks.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tried a fresh os install??, could be a graphic driver issue... im in Windows 10 and it works... (Also try windows 8.1, Windows 7 is almost no longer supported)
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    roddy229roddy229 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hithereyou wrote: »
    We're working on adding some diagnostic info to the startup code to track this down. If anyone else is experiencing this problem, let me know.

Dave

I'm getting the same error Dave. I've reinstalled everything that is applicable, and my pc is up to spec for system requirements. I'm not thrilled because I just bought zen to get a new ship but I can't get onto the game
    Vice Admiral Thylek Shran- U.S.S. Omega (Odyssey Class Battleship) United Federation Space Command
    Vice Admiral T'vix RRW Talon (Scimitar Drednought)
    General S'tal IKS Q'vat (Bortasq' Battle Cruiser)
  • Options
    happyblobfishhappyblobfish Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have also experienced the same problem. I attempted to log into STO over 10 times in the past 3 days. However, each time, it returns this error code:
    Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code
    (D3DERR_DEVICEREMOVED) while locking sprite index buffer

What does this mean and by what means can I fix it?

**STO was running fine for the last 5 months before this happened. ALSO...

I have had a 'Pixel Shader Complication Error' for about 1 month which caused my STO screen to go really dark and it got really annoying at times since I could barely see anything in space combat. I'm not that great with computers so I don't know if this is linked to the Direct3D Error I have. I am planning on reinstalling the game soon so should that work on fixing any bugs I have?

Thanks!
  • Options
    nelhannesnelhannes Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What final fixed it for me was to force the game to directx9 under options. No more crashes.

So seems an issue with directx11
  • Options
    cylonusg1cylonusg1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    im getting the same error messages! its really starting to annoy me, my PC died back in October so i bought a new hard drive then patched DR now i cant play STO!!!!!!

come on Cryptic sort it out!
  • Options
    edmgymguy1edmgymguy1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I thought this happened because my rural internet connection is bad. That was not the case. I had the newest directx driver, but when i downloaded directx 9, the STO login crashing problems resolved entirely. Go to Microsoft and search directx 9 downloads. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can create this error by attempting to run STO in full screen mode (the resolution it tries to set is not supported by my graphics card). Changing the options in the launcher to run as in a window, then maximizing the window to full screen alleviates the problem.