What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[RUMOR] Why Level #60 is a BAD Idea

Comments

• Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't mind a level cap increase so long as they don't make my current gear obsolete by bringing out a new higher tier..

I really don't have the stomach to re-grind all my gear again. Besides, endgame is already laughable with powercreep, raising the level cap will just make it plain stupid.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't see how they can raise the level cap without a hell of a lot more PvE content to go with it - at least the equivalent of another couple of Dyson Spheres.

If they finally implemented clever, extremely difficult raids with some extreme gear progression, I could see it happening.

I just don't see how they have the resources to do that at this stage.

Although having said that, I do love the Dyson Sphere content, and I think they did a great job with it.
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    gurugeorge wrote: »
    I don't see how they can raise the level cap without a hell of a lot more PvE content to go with it - at least the equivalent of another couple of Dyson Spheres.

If they finally implemented clever, extremely difficult raids with some extreme gear progression, I could see it happening.

I just don't see how they have the resources to do that at this stage.

Although having said that, I do love the Dyson Sphere content, and I think they did a great job with it.

I've said this before, but you should expect the level cap increase to come with Expansion #2 later this year.

Expansion #1 (aka Legacy of Romulus) added over 50 missions to the game. I think you can justify an extra 10 levels if you add another 50 missions...
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The rumors surrounding the potential Fleet command systems interest me, I have a whole host of ships that are mostly unused because I changed to a preferred vessel , but it would still be nice to have those ships stuckin standby get some use again

Overall I suspect the level increase is designed to satisfy a psychological function, players brains react more positively when they are given small rewards now and then to reinforce the notion of progression and false sense of accomplishment

Also I do think some of the existing content is far too easy to progress through, few enemies are a challenge to a character with a full list of reputation powers, fleet ships/gear and a decent set of active DOFFs.
    If there is to be a new set of content, I hope they make it a lot more challenging to compensate for all the power creep the player has gained, that the NPCs lack
    kolbrandr wrote: »
    To those who are pushing for a level cap increase, and MkXIV gear:

Go load up the game and delete your oldest, favorite character. Your "main", if you will. Then recreate them and go out to grind all the assets that they used to have.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Done that already, when I got bored with the game around 2 years ago, Perhaps it was a foolish move given the time invested on the old character, but I actually enjoyed a fresh start with the new character
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i dont imagine a level increase as requiring me to get all new gear. in my opinion for this game that'd be a bad idea with how many sets, consoles, and stuff are based around MK12. however that doesnt exclude MK14 gear. everyone's always talked about a crafting system revamp. why not both?

you're MK12 now, you increase another 10 levels, and still use MK12. using the crafting system you increase your gear to MK13, or possibly MK14. this would give us room for expansion.

i dont actually understand why people are against a level increase. what other sort of new content to do you expect from this game? more story missions? old after the 3rd play through. new reputation? instant boredom from grinding more then one character. new ship classes? not likely. expanded fleet system? again, not likely. i have a T5 everything fleet geared character that has literally the best it can have at the moment. there's no more progress i can make on that character. i have a fully geared multivector, avenger, intrepid, andorian, and Odyssey class ships. if i use the same gear twice on a different ship, i bought said gear again so switching would be easy. i've maxed that character literally as far as non PVP can go. what am i supposed to do now? keep maxing each new rep that comes out knowing i have no intention of using most of the gear from it? no. i'd much rather get to use my best character in grinding all new gear that's MK14 or what ever. currently aside from grinding dill for the fleet, my main character has nothing it can do. its fully maxed and nothing's a challenge. if i had 10 more levels i suddenly need to do, that means my best, and completely overpowered character has 10 levels worth of progress to make.
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i dont actually understand why people are against a level increase. what other sort of new content to do you expect from this game?

In wich world is the simple need to get XP included even into the definition of content?

more story missions?

Yes

old after the 3rd play through.

no
    new reputation? instant boredom from grinding more then one character.

And the simple generic need for XP is SO MUCH MORE interesting then the generic need for marks or dillithium... Ok...

new ship classes? not likely.

Its not that we do not get that regulary... "not likely" :rolleyes:
    expanded fleet system? again, not likely. i have a T5 everything fleet geared character that has literally the best it can have at the moment. there's no more progress i can make on that character. i have a fully geared multivector, avenger, intrepid, andorian, and Odyssey class ships. if i use the same gear twice on a different ship, i bought said gear again so switching would be easy. i've maxed that character literally as far as non PVP can go. what am i supposed to do now? keep maxing each new rep that comes out knowing i have no intention of using most of the gear from it? no. i'd much rather get to use my best character in grinding all new gear that's MK14 or what ever. currently aside from grinding dill for the fleet, my main character has nothing it can do. its fully maxed and nothing's a challenge. if i had 10 more levels i suddenly need to do, that means my best, and completely overpowered character has 10 levels worth of progress to make.

You will not have everything geared up and there will be more progress as soon as there is a new rep.
    The reputation system can do ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING a level cap increase can do, just better.

And your post is kind of illogical: You have fittet out everything, you find reps boring, but find it interesting to do ALL THE THINGS you have done ALL OVER again....
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I don't mind a level cap increase so long as they don't make my current gear obsolete by bringing out a new higher tier..

I really don't have the stomach to re-grind all my gear again. Besides, endgame is already laughable with powercreep, raising the level cap will just make it plain stupid.

If only it were that simple......
  • Options
    captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In wich world is the simple need to get XP included even into the definition of content?

okay, i apparently was clear what i mean here.

if the level cap stays the same, we'll keep getting 1 or 2 story episodes here and there like season 8 and 8.5 has given us. yay, i loved doing sphere of influence and the newest one 2-3 times on 6 characters. that /totally/ didnt get boring. if there'd been multiple missions, it would have been different. but a singular mission with multiple rewards that are good is annoying and repetitive.
    a new reputation is just doing the two PVE queues related to it over and over. basically the same as a new story mission, except you have to do it MORE times, and your success is based on how good a team you have.

on the flip side: level increase

since this would be an expansion like legacy of Romulus, there'd be loads of new story missions. LOR gave us about 50 new missions. a level increase would really only need maybe 10-15 new missions. missions you wouldnt be redoing for a drop or item, but because you have multiple characters that need leveling and these are the most fun ways of leveling. you dont actually NEED to do these missions to level. you could do patrols or something to level on alts, and only enjoy the new missions on a main. you'd have options for progressing, without being shoved into two repetitive missions with 4 other people who 50/50 dont know what they're doing, or do know what they're doing but suck at it.
    not to mention this would be the best excuse for a unique crafting system, something STO has needed to be revamped since before i joined about 3 years ago. think about it, with the fleet and rep systems, what current need is there to have a crafting system? we have the ability to get the best gear already through current progress, and while a crafting system might give us different gear, its unlikely it'd give better gear, knowing how the fleet and stuff works.
    however what seems like the most likely thing for a level increase, is for the crafting system to be used to fill in the gap. i believe devs have very specifically said there's no way they'd have T6 ships with a level increase. with the fleet ships, C-store ships, and all that, having to buy all new ships would TRIBBLE everything up. however, have a crafting system to modify something about your ship to make it T6, would not only completely diversify builds, but give us new things to do with our ships and characters without having us start from scratch.

for example, use the crafting system to give your ship +1 forward weapon slot, OR +1 Boff slot. maybe change your commander slot to a captain slot? you'd have to choose which sort of modifier or increase to put on your ship, and could only have one or two maybe. perhaps some upgrades cant be put on some ships, whereas others can. this would allow some old ships like intrepids, nebulas, the vulcan ship, and a bunch of others really out dated and unliked ships, to get buffed without directly changing their stats. YOU would change your intrepids stats. giving it a additional tactical slot, or a 4th weapon in the front, or maybe more hull, or shields. etc. a crafting system used like this would not contradict the reputations by making you choose between maco or crafting. instead you'd still want your rep gear, but would be later using the crafting system to make it better. who knows, cryptic has surprised us in the past, and i'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt here.
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A Level cap increase would not be bad if it brings us new missions. But an increase to Mk XIII weapons would be very bad because all REputation systems stuff, all Fleet stuff is Mk XII and it took a lot of grinding to get there. I think, that some people are not willingto play all that stuff again and again.Imagine you spent a lot of time ony our MACO set and then Cryptic comes and tells you :Sorry guys that stuff is obsolete now, we are bringing you Mk XIII weapons so you have to do it all again.

If Fleet and reputation systems get an automatic upgrade it is allright
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If they leave the gear/ships alone, only give us additional skills. Then I don't have issues. That is why I never like the "New Levels" you gain for each expansion. All that time you put into gear to use, is now junk.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    welcome to MMO's (And real life)
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    and this why sto is a joke of a mmorpg why did no one complain when MK 11 came out and made MK 10 obsolete why did no one complain when MK12 came out and made MK 11 obsolete do some of you here you selfs when this has happen before
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    captzabjudahcaptzabjudah Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2014
      Just a quick question, is it still possible to level your toon to 51? If this has been already answer please forgive me, I wasn't about to read all the topic posted...:D

Did see at one point and time this was possible.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1. Options
      edited March 2014
      daan2006 wrote: »
      and this why sto is a joke of a mmorpg

Why, because there's a possible level cap increase coming? You know, the standard thing that all MMOs tend to have?

How many level cap increases has WoW had?
    2. Options
      sheracsherac Member Posts: 32 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      I will enlighten some of you folks with a bit of common sense.

First, this is the way it works. You can choose to accept it or you can continue to bask in your desire to complain aimlessly about the facts of life in an MMO. After a certain period of time lots of players will eventually have "everything" in an MMO. At that point your choice is to basically stare at the screen, or roll another character and do it all over again.

STO has been around for a long time. A lot of people are basically sitting and staring at the screen with nothing to do but feel warm and fuzzy about their Mark 12 weapons that they can't really do anything with, because they basically have everything.

In an MMO, you put out an expansion and the POINT of that expansion (one of at least) is to make those items obsolete. One reason is because players need new goals and new things to achieve, otherwise they are sitting around with their tribbles in their hands.

It happens in pretty much every MMO to ever exist and this is not going to change, whether you like it or not. One reason that it's not going to change is developers aren't going to allow players to quit their game because they have nothing to do, just because you, a minority, that is making it obvious how little he or she knows about MMOs, is whining because they are content with being docked at the space station and bragging about their Mark 12s.

People want new content. People want new upgrades. Sure, for a while people like to aim to max out their characters with everything end-game, but eventually that is boring and people want a new goal, for new upgrades, new items and new ways to improve their characters with new gear and pretty little shiny things.

Don't like it? MMOs aren't for you. And do us all a favor and play more than one MMO. It's painfully obvious at times that many of you have never played anything but STO in your short lives. You would be doing everyone a favor if you learned something about MMOs.

This community isn't exactly famous for having a clue.

P.S. As stale and boring and as little as there is to do in this game already, the fact that you would cry about having something new to achieve is beyond fascinating. Can I study your brain? I am intrigued to understand how it works. I'm sure the entire scientific community would agree.
    3. Options
      daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      walshicus wrote: »
      Why, because there's a possible level cap increase coming? You know, the standard thing that all MMOs tend to have?

im all for level 60 why i made the post because of the post i dont want my gear to become obsolete post
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      swimwear off risa not fixed
      system Lord Baal is dead
      macronius wrote: »
      This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    4. Options
      edited March 2014
      im all for level 60 why i made the post because of the post i dont want my gear to become obsolete post

Fair enough, what you added clarified that! :)

EDIT: Also, I just want to point out that a lot of people seem to be expressing two sentiments that I'd find mutually exclusive. First that they don't want to be forced to upgrade their gear, and second that none of the content requires new gear.
    5. Options
      sheracsherac Member Posts: 32 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      walshicus wrote: »

I think you failed to get his point. He wants it.
    6. Options
      starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      edited March 2014

I fully expect there to be some method to upgrade our Mk XII equipment to Mk XIV equipment through some Reputation project or other method either through a tradein or costs some Marks and dilithium.
    7. Options
      edited March 2014
      sherac wrote: »
      I will enlighten some of you folks with a bit of common sense.

First, this is the way it works. You can choose to accept it or you can continue to bask in your desire to complain aimlessly about the facts of life in an MMO. After a certain period of time lots of players will eventually have "everything" in an MMO. At that point your choice is to basically stare at the screen, or roll another character and do it all over again.

STO has been around for a long time. A lot of people are basically sitting and staring at the screen with nothing to do but feel warm and fuzzy about their Mark 12 weapons that they can't really do anything with, because they basically have everything.

In an MMO, you put out an expansion and the POINT of that expansion (one of at least) is to make those items obsolete. One reason is because players need new goals and new things to achieve, otherwise they are sitting around with their tribbles in their hands.

It happens in pretty much every MMO to ever exist and this is not going to change, whether you like it or not. One reason that it's not going to change is developers aren't going to allow players to quit their game because they have nothing to do, just because you, a minority, that is making it obvious how little he or she knows about MMOs, is whining because they are content with being docked at the space station and bragging about their Mark 12s.

People want new content. People want new upgrades. Sure, for a while people like to aim to max out their characters with everything end-game, but eventually that is boring and people want a new goal, for new upgrades, new items and new ways to improve their characters with new gear and pretty little shiny things.

Don't like it? MMOs aren't for you. And do us all a favor and play more than one MMO. It's painfully obvious at times that many of you have never played anything but STO in your short lives. You would be doing everyone a favor if you learned something about MMOs.

This community isn't exactly famous for having a clue.

P.S. As stale and boring and as little as there is to do in this game already, the fact that you would cry about having something new to achieve is beyond fascinating. Can I study your brain? I am intrigued to understand how it works. I'm sure the entire scientific community would agree.

Summed up: the enlightenment you provide is "wow does it so it's right"

Again: every goal that can be achieved with a level cap raise can be achieved with the rep system. That was the point of it.
      And yet a level cap raise is not confirmed.
    8. Options
      bismarck1975bismarck1975 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Summed up: the enlightenment you provide is "wow does it so it's right"

Again: every goal that can be achieved with a level cap raise can be achieved with the rep system. That was the point of it.
      And yet a level cap raise is not confirmed.

Um no.......just no. Rep system only adds a type of gear choice that you may or may not wish to use. Level increase makes you ditch all your current gear and grind anew. And with rep system at level 60, grind multiple set of new gear. It is the MMO way. Get over it.
    9. Options
      edited March 2014
      Um no.......just no. Rep system only adds a type of gear choice that you may or may not wish to use. Level increase makes you ditch all your current gear and grind anew. And with rep system at level 60, grind multiple set of new gear. It is the MMO way. Get over it.

You may retread this thread and start getting over yourself.
    10. Options
      vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      starkaos wrote: »
      I fully expect there to be some method to upgrade our Mk XII equipment to Mk XIV equipment through some Reputation project or other method either through a tradein or costs some Marks and dilithium.

What about all those C-store ships people bought. Dyson Science Destroyer. Content being balanced around powerful new ships. A new array of fleet ships.

Honestly with all the gametime i've put in, to have yet another tier to go and have everything i spent $$$/grinded for (fleet AND c-store stuff) to be second rate again... well i'd rather just quit and move on.
    11. Options
      edited March 2014
      vhiranikos wrote: »
      What about all those C-store ships people bought. Dyson Science Destroyer. Content being balanced around powerful new ships. A new array of fleet ships.

Honestly with all the gametime i've put in, to have yet another tier to go and have everything i spent $$$/grinded for (fleet AND c-store stuff) to be second rate again... well i'd rather just quit and move on.

God. Getting a second Risan Racer would suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
    12. Options
      edited March 2014
      vhiranikos wrote: »

A level cap increase doesn't necessarily mean Tier 6 ships. Although, I can see a way to have Tier 6 ships and use out of these Tier 5 ships that we have worked for. After all, most of the Tier 5 ships out there are just gathering dust. Introduce an Admiral system where you promote Bridge Officers to command your unused ships. If our characters can command Tier 6 ships while our promoted Bridge Officers are limited to Tier 5.5 and below ships, then a lot of our unused ships will finally get some use. Of course, there should be some method to upgrade our Tier 5 ships to Tier 6, but those ships would not be available to be piloted by our promoted Bridge Officers anymore.
    13. Options
      puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      I for one support this idea.. the game is becoming stale for me (and others) as half my ships still have most of the same equipment slotted that was there a year or more ago.. most games have a level cap increase to do away with the old, and produce a new carrot to fallow. (cause fallowing the same old carrot gets boring after a while.. ).

I for one love having to level my mains again, and rethink gear. it is also good to keep the game developer creating new content to match the new gear/level demands..

adversity breads innovation my friends, and this game is the pits of adversity.. Christ, I can level a character, and have him completely endgame geared in less than a month.. that is pathetic..

also, endgame gear (the elite stuff) should be super hard to get. I for one love having a reason to log in and play.. (which besides for this latest snooze grindfest, I have not had many reasons).

also, for all of you getting your panties in a bunch over this, I believe it was said that this would be the last level increase. so just grin and bear it and know that youll have the same mediocre characters for the rest of your sto gaming life..
    14. Options
      ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
      edited March 2014
      Well, you could make this argument for having a cap above level 10. The point is, there doesn't need to be a point. You're asking about it is in fact pointless. The game itself is pointless. Now, the point in having another 10 levels added sounds like a good way to add new ranks, which could add more abilities and missions. Sure, you could just add these to the current level 50, but that's a really lazy and half assed way to do it, not to mention it only caters to lazy players who want things just given to themi stead of having to work for it.
    15. Options
      edited March 2014
      A level cap increase doesn't necessarily mean Tier 6 ships. Although, I can see a way to have Tier 6 ships and use out of these Tier 5 ships that we have worked for. After all, most of the Tier 5 ships out there are just gathering dust. Introduce an Admiral system where you promote Bridge Officers to command your unused ships. If our characters can command Tier 6 ships while our promoted Bridge Officers are limited to Tier 5.5 and below ships, then a lot of our unused ships will finally get some use. Of course, there should be some method to upgrade our Tier 5 ships to Tier 6, but those ships would not be available to be piloted by our promoted Bridge Officers anymore.

Nononononono this is a terrible plan.
    16. Options
      edited March 2014
      ghyudt wrote: »
      Well, you could make this argument for having a cap above level 10. The point is, there doesn't need to be a point. You're asking about it is in fact pointless. The game itself is pointless. Now, the point in having another 10 levels added sounds like a good way to add new ranks, which could add more abilities and missions. Sure, you could just add these to the current level 50, but that's a really lazy and half assed way to do it, not to mention it only caters to lazy players who want things just given to themi stead of having to work for it.

Or they could just go without levels. The Secret World uses a system where there is no levels, but gear has levels going from QL 0 to QL 10.4. However, this is one of those pre-alpha decisions and not 4 years after the game launched.

Considering that Cryptic is allowing us to trade in our Fleet Kits for the Season 9 version, it is doubtful that Cryptic wouldn't introduce some method for us to upgrade our ships and equipment to the level 60 version.
    17. Options
      edited March 2014
      Or they could just go without levels. The Secret World uses a system where there is no levels, but gear has levels going from QL 0 to QL 10.4. However, this is one of those pre-alpha decisions and not 4 years after the game launched.

APB has something similar.
      Considering that Cryptic is allowing us to trade in our Fleet Kits for the Season 9 version, it is doubtful that Cryptic wouldn't introduce some method for us to upgrade our ships and equipment to the level 60 version.

Even still, unless that involved some huge form of balance pass I doubt anything would come of it.