Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Discovery is going to be sued for Plagiarism

1235»

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Ain't gonna work. That would be like Harmony Gold sueing everyone who ever came up with the idea of any form of Mecha because its a walking war machine that's got two arms and two legs. As it is they're alreay gunning for Mechwarrior stuff. We don't need them trying to attack Star Wars and Pacific Rim on top of that. Hell... they could try and hit whoever owns Aliens because the loader has two arms and two legs.
    I know how ridiculous it is, but apparently Abdin doesn't.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    jonsills wrote: »
    Wait - he's trying to claim the use of manufactured wormholes through alternate dimensions as his own?
    No, but use of tardigrades to initiate space travel.... in general, not a specific implementation.
    Okay, he loses on that basis too. The creature wasn't a tardigrade, it was merely analogous to one (real tardigrades are, well, teeny-tiny, not Ripper-sized), and it didn't initiate the drive, it merely computed the path along the mycelial network. That's why Stamets was able to take its place after modifying his own DNA so he could take on its navigational abilities. (I know, I know - but Star Trek works on LEGO Genetics.) The spore drive was actually functional without either Ripper or Stamets, it just couldn't jump more than a few hundred kilometers because the computations were too difficult for the Engineering system to handle.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Wait - he's trying to claim the use of manufactured wormholes through alternate dimensions as his own?
    No, but use of tardigrades to initiate space travel.... in general, not a specific implementation.
    Okay, he loses on that basis too. The creature wasn't a tardigrade, it was merely analogous to one (real tardigrades are, well, teeny-tiny, not Ripper-sized), and it didn't initiate the drive, it merely computed the path along the mycelial network. That's why Stamets was able to take its place after modifying his own DNA so he could take on its navigational abilities. (I know, I know - but Star Trek works on LEGO Genetics.) The spore drive was actually functional without either Ripper or Stamets, it just couldn't jump more than a few hundred kilometers because the computations were too difficult for the Engineering system to handle.

It would be interesting to see if a functional Spore Drive could be created with 24th Century technology without using a genetically engineered human or an alien creature. It could be a way for safe Spore Drive travel if dimensional travel requires a living pilot. For all we know, they could have a 'mechanical' Spore Drive in the new Picard series where it took them until after 2380 to develop the Spore Drive.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Well... Bio-Neural Gel Packs do have superior processing capability to even Isolinear circuitry...
    Would probably be post Nemesis tech, but I still think Starfleet wouldn't want to touch it because of everything that's already come up in Discovery. An FTL that has a chance to throw you into another universe, and can be abused as a power source that threatens the entire multiverse? Would make anyone hesitant to use it on a regular basis.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Ain't gonna work. That would be like Harmony Gold sueing everyone who ever came up with the idea of any form of Mecha because its a walking war machine that's got two arms and two legs. As it is they're alreay gunning for Mechwarrior stuff. We don't need them trying to attack Star Wars and Pacific Rim on top of that. Hell... they could try and hit whoever owns Aliens because the loader has two arms and two legs.
    I know how ridiculous it is, but apparently Abdin doesn't.
    Yeah... that. I was just pointing out that his claim is technically not wormholes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    starkaos wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see if a functional Spore Drive could be created with 24th Century technology without using a genetically engineered human or an alien creature. It could be a way for safe Spore Drive travel if dimensional travel requires a living pilot. For all we know, they could have a 'mechanical' Spore Drive in the new Picard series where it took them until after 2380 to develop the Spore Drive.

We do have that, it's called transwarp. ;)

(The Excelsior did premier in the same movie as the first production Klingon ship thus far seen with a cloaking device. Discovery was a show about parallels.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I think this is serious then some of the other stuff Midnights edge says, they've been in contact with the man in question, and it seems clear they ripped the guy off.
    How can you sue someone over HAIRSTYLES?

That will never stick and it can't be proven as intentional either, coincidences do happen. it is a loser from the start.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I think this is serious then some of the other stuff Midnights edge says, they've been in contact with the man in question, and it seems clear they ripped the guy off.
    How can you sue someone over HAIRSTYLES?
    That will never stick and it can't be proven as intentional either, coincidences do happen. it is a loser from the start.
    From a legal perspective, I don't think that can even be considered a coincidence. The characters compared simply don't have enough similarity in how they look.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Honestly that would be like EA sueing Disney over the appearance of Luke Skywalker to Christopher Blair.
    Which honestly is the most stupid idea, ESPECIALLY since both were played by Mark Hamil.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Wing Commander. Back in the 90s, they had that big FMV craze. Live action cutscenes with real actors. Mark Hamil, John Ryse Davis, and Malcom McDowell starred in Wing Commander III and IV, and Mark Hamil came back for Wing Commander Prophecy.
  • Options
    Cross posting because this belongs here and not the other place where I found it...
    rumblep wrote: »
    concidering CBS is now in a law suit over this show, id personally advise not doing this particular expansion any further... seems somebody borrowed ideas without permission.
    The case (should it ever be filed)
    Snipped most of Duncan's reply cause I'm only responding to this bit. There has been a court case filed, actually, should be a response from CBS within the next few weeks (they have 20 days to reply). I think the case has little merit myself.
    Problem is, the Lawyers filing said case for the Plaintiff DIDN'T file it properly (They're suing the wrong corporate entity plus numerous other filing omissions and mistakes); and one of the Lawyers has yet to pay his New York Bar Fees (Meaning legally, he's not licensed to practice Law in New York State currently, where the case was filed.)

The court has ordered the party involved to file an amended complaint correcting the various errors, but until they do so, and it meets the court's filing standards, CBS technically hasn't been notified officially yet, so they have no need to respond at the current time.
    Would you mind sharing a link to where you got that information from.
    I'm interested in this case (as an artist) and would like to see who stated this and where they're getting their facts from.
    Direct from the Horses's mouth:
    https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/25398554/Abdin_v_CBS_Broadcasting,_Inc_et_al
    Take a look at the entries for:
    Monday August 20, 2018, Friday August 24, 2018 and Wednesday August 29, 2018 to see all the court admonishments and numerous filing errors made by Plaintiff's attorney.

(And nothing illegal here in looking it up as all court case filings are a matter of public record and available to view if you know where to find them.) ;)
    It's kinda amusing that it took a week to file it right.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing