What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STar Trek Discovery

Comments

• Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Because the Discovery and Shinzau are not ships from the Cage era, they are ships that are still in service into the Cage era. It's not that difficult. And they look more advanced for the same reason the NX or Kelvin look more advanced than the TOS Conni, because in TV we no longer make things out of cardboard.
    Because its really set in the JJ-verse, despite what they tell you.

No such thing as a JJ-verse, despite what you tell us. It's Prime, grow up.

Why does this need a new thread?​​

I am grown-up (I watched TOS in the late 60's) and no matter what they say it is not Prime to me and to a lot of fans. Period.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    The blue color isn't the only problem, there's also the bizarre and unnecessary sensory nodes along the head and the complete lack of hair.

General Chang looked pretty bald to me.

225px-General_Chang.JPG

General Chang has a ponytail. So he is not bald.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    General Chang has a ponytail. So he is not bald.

bald
    bôld/

adjective: bald; comparative adjective: balder; superlative adjective: baldest

1. having a scalp wholly or partly lacking hair.

Trust me. He's bald.

Chang is bald, TRIBBLE Klingons are hairless. There's a clear distinction there.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    There's a difference between baldness, and the entire species completely lacking hair follicles as the showrunners have said is now the case. From TNG -> ENT Klingons had a very distinctive hairstyle, and now we are being told that the species never had any hair at all. Pointless retcon that only serves as Fuller's way of leaving his own mark on the franchise.

And? It dosn't matter what he says, unless it's mentioned in the show it's not canon and is overruled by canon evidence showing they do have hair. Relax about it. What's onscreen is what matters not some guy said that will be roundly ignored by the next some other guy like it always is.
    star-trek-discovery-klingons-01.jpg

Not T'Kumva or Kol. I already excluded those Klingons because they are significantly different.
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    I am grown-up (I watched TOS in the late 60's) and no matter what they say it is not Prime to me and to a lot of fans. Period.

In which case you still need to grow up. Or possibly learn to read. Prime dosn't mean 'Trek you like' it means Trek that exists in the main timeline not affected by the destruction of the USS Kelvin in 2233 by Nero. Trek you don't like that exists unaffected by the destruction of the USS Kelvin in 2233 by Nero is still Prime weather you understand one syllable words or not.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Remember, kids - VOY: "Threshold" is Prime Timeline. So is TOS: "The Omega Glory". And TNG: "Code of Honor". They suck, nobody likes them, but there they are. (My own "I can't believe this counts" piece is ST5, for what it's worth - it sucks, it's phenomenally stupid, the most interesting or amazing thing about it is how well Nichelle's legs held up, but it's still Prime Timeline.)

Whether you like it isn't the deciding factor. Nor is age - I've been watching since TOS was on NBC. It's laid in the Prime Timeline, even if it doesn't look exactly like the show you liked as a kid. Get over yourselves.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    jonsills wrote: »
    Remember, kids - VOY: "Threshold" is Prime Timeline. So is TOS: "The Omega Glory". And TNG: "Code of Honor". They suck, nobody likes them, but there they are. (My own "I can't believe this counts" piece is ST5, for what it's worth - it sucks, it's phenomenally stupid, the most interesting or amazing thing about it is how well Nichelle's legs held up, but it's still Prime Timeline.)

Whether you like it isn't the deciding factor. Nor is age - I've been watching since TOS was on NBC. It's laid in the Prime Timeline, even if it doesn't look exactly like the show you liked as a kid. Get over yourselves.

"Spock's Brain", hahaha, there is another. Some real doozies in that mix. I've been watching since TNG in the mid 90's but seen it all a few times. I have learned to accept them. Discovery even if it lasts a season or goes the whole distance of seven seasons, it's in the same timeline and it too will be respected. :tongue:
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options

You know, Threshold hardly deserves to be on the same list as The Omega Glory or ST:V, it's bad, but it's not boring. That's the worst sin a episode or film can commit, Threshold is just 'more of the same' (to me anyway) in a show that was built on the founding principles of 'more of the same'. That's just VGR all round.

There was stuff going on in ST:V sure, It was just overall so poorly constructed that it bored me. My personal least favourite VGR episodes are any involving that godsawful Irish village holoprogramme. Threshold is an assault on science that, really, dosn't even compare to finding a physical hole in an event horizon or freezing a volcano through cold fusion, or the bloody Genesis Device (b|tch about Augment blood 'till the cows come home, nothing compares to the monumental stupidity that is the Genesis Device).​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > jonsills wrote: »
    >
    > Remember, kids - VOY: "Threshold" is Prime Timeline. So is TOS: "The Omega Glory". And TNG: "Code of Honor". They suck, nobody likes them, but there they are. (My own "I can't believe this counts" piece is ST5, for what it's worth - it sucks, it's phenomenally stupid, the most interesting or amazing thing about it is how well Nichelle's legs held up, but it's still Prime Timeline.)
    >
    > Whether you like it isn't the deciding factor. Nor is age - I've been watching since TOS was on NBC. It's laid in the Prime Timeline, even if it doesn't look exactly like the show you liked as a kid. Get over yourselves.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You know, Threshold hardly deserves to be on the same list as The Omega Glory or ST:V, it's bad, but it's not boring. That's the worst sin a episode or film can commit, Threshold is just 'more of the same' (to me anyway) in a show that was built on the founding principles of 'more of the same'. That's just VGR all round.
    >
    > There was stuff going on in ST:V sure, It was just overall so poorly constructed that it bored me. My personal least favourite VGR episodes are any involving that godsawful Irish village holoprogramme. Threshold is an assault on science that, really, dosn't even compare to finding a physical hole in an event horizon or freezing a volcano through cold fusion, or the bloody Genesis Device (b|tch about Augment blood 'till the cows come home, nothing compares to the monumental stupidity that is the Genesis Device).​​

Fine, take "Threshold" off and add "Dear Doctor", the episode that had the protagonists defending eugenics.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »

starswordc wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > Remember, kids - VOY: "Threshold" is Prime Timeline. So is TOS: "The Omega Glory". And TNG: "Code of Honor". They suck, nobody likes them, but there they are. (My own "I can't believe this counts" piece is ST5, for what it's worth - it sucks, it's phenomenally stupid, the most interesting or amazing thing about it is how well Nichelle's legs held up, but it's still Prime Timeline.)
    >
    > Whether you like it isn't the deciding factor. Nor is age - I've been watching since TOS was on NBC. It's laid in the Prime Timeline, even if it doesn't look exactly like the show you liked as a kid. Get over yourselves.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You know, Threshold hardly deserves to be on the same list as The Omega Glory or ST:V, it's bad, but it's not boring. That's the worst sin a episode or film can commit, Threshold is just 'more of the same' (to me anyway) in a show that was built on the founding principles of 'more of the same'. That's just VGR all round.
    >
    > There was stuff going on in ST:V sure, It was just overall so poorly constructed that it bored me. My personal least favourite VGR episodes are any involving that godsawful Irish village holoprogramme. Threshold is an assault on science that, really, dosn't even compare to finding a physical hole in an event horizon or freezing a volcano through cold fusion, or the bloody Genesis Device (b|tch about Augment blood 'till the cows come home, nothing compares to the monumental stupidity that is the Genesis Device).​​

Fine, take "Threshold" off and add "Dear Doctor", the episode that had the protagonists defending eugenics.

No setting or series can last what, 20-odd years of continuous production? without having it's share of outright **** episodes.

However, those would be single episodes that were **** in a series (Presumably) you liked-or you wouldn't be a fan.

This is a good point. Even the TV show I personally consider to be the greatest show of all time, the Battlestar Galactica remake (which only got 4 seasons), has some truly terrible episodes, primarily in season 3.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User

There's actually some merit to saying this isn't Prime. I mean, the creators say it is, and it may technically be in the same timeline, but everything I see about Discovery paints it as a drastic retooling of the style and tone of Star Trek. It may or may not turn out to be a bad re-imagining, but I get a strong impression that it's just as much of a reboot as JJ-Trek, even if the old shows and movies are still technically canon. They just don't dare to admit it after the backlash from last reboot attempt.

So while it may be set in the Prime Timeline, the sense I get is that it's different stylistically and tonally to the point that I think it's functionally a reboot.

'Cause that's what television needs: more reboots. :/

Then again, we only have trailers to go on, and trailers always lie. My experience is that trailers tend to make movies/shows look a lot stupider than they really are.
  • Options
    silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User

There's actually some merit to saying this isn't Prime. I mean, the creators say it is, and it may technically be in the same timeline, but everything I see about Discovery paints it as a drastic retooling of the style and tone of Star Trek. It may or may not turn out to be a bad re-imagining, but I get a strong impression that it's just as much of a reboot as JJ-Trek, even if the old shows and movies are still technically canon. They just don't dare to admit it after the backlash from last reboot attempt.

So while it may be set in the Prime Timeline, the sense I get is that it's different stylistically and tonally to the point that I think it's functionally a reboot.

'Cause that's what television needs: more reboots. :/

Then again, we only have trailers to go on, and trailers always lie. My experience is that trailers tend to make movies/shows look a lot stupider than they really are.
    100% this... To all intents and purposes, it's a reboot; They just don't dare admit it because of the impact. Not just on viewer numbers, but on subscriber numbers. They'll never admit it, but it's clear what we're seeing :-\

"I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    That was certainly the case with The Orville. The trailers led me to believe it'd be "Family Guy meets TNG", but thank the Great Bird, McFarlane was able to tone down his trademark sophomoric humor (for the most part - he indulged himself with the helmsman, sadly, but I was expecting that to be everywhere).

Oh, and those issues with nBSG and B5 were down to studio interference. In Season 3, Ron Moore was told to make more standalone episodes of nBSG, to make it easier to syndicate. Problem is, the show was so damn arc-heavy that the standalone episodes were automatically clunkers. (Although I think "The Woman King" might have been a deliberate protest on the part of writers and actors.)

As for B5, Joe Straczynski said that while his show was planned for five seasons, the studio was dicking him around on whether season 5 would even be filmed. He wrapped up the storylines hurriedly in season 4, because he thought it might be his only chance. Then they really plugged him, by giving him that fifth season at the last possible moment.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

> @artan42 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

No setting or series can last what, 20-odd years of continuous production? without having it's share of outright **** episodes.

However, those would be single episodes that were **** in a series (Presumably) you liked-or you wouldn't be a fan.

This is a good point. Even the TV show I personally consider to be the greatest show of all time, the Battlestar Galactica remake (which only got 4 seasons), has some truly terrible episodes, primarily in season 3.

I only stick to the original myself.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    the discovery looks too klingon
  • Options

> @artan42 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Ah, the one where all the episodes were terrible. At least they were consistent.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    ...in some ways, the amount of detail revealed kills the usual suspense a new show generates in an established continuity-and with the lack of attention to that same continuity they've already shown...or perhaps, lack of respect for the continuity they've already displayed, what coulda-shoulda-been a lot of fans slavering for to see it right now has turned into a "We'll watch the pilot but we're not pre-paying your silly subscription fees unless it's amazing."...

Once again, it should be mentioned these criticisms are nothing new to Star Trek. The very same "backlash" occurred when TNG was first announced.

As for the sub fee, most Trek fans I know wouldn't pay the All Access subscription fee regardless of what the new series is about. It could have been a continuation of TOS or TNG post-Nemesis and they still wouldn't pay for it. So the show being Discovery or TNG v2.0 doesn't matter.

Those who are willing to pay for it either already have All Access or will pick it up because they also enjoy other programs in the CBS library.

With that said, I don't blame CBS at all for trying to use the Trek IP to obtain subscribers. I wish them a lot of success with it. Personally, I think they are better off licensing their library to places like Netflix and Hulu as they already have the brand recognition and subscriber base.

Interesting point point about All Access so I perused Netflix and Hulu and saw alot of CBSs library split between the two including all the Trek series. I wonder if and when CBS decides to pull all that content or not remains to be seen. I have misgivings about DSC. I don't really like the changes but I can also accept that at this point there is nothing I nor anybody else can do about it at this point. It's all in the can. This constant debate about is it prime or not, Klingons or not Klingons, is all moot. It is what it is. I will see the pilot and decide then and there if it's something I will embrace. I think we should all do this as fans of Trek. Then after that we can pick it apart and love or rage as we see fit. I also sat back and thought there is more I dislike about this game than I do in the DSC trailers lol. But we will all see more clearly soon enough. After all....It's not like we are getting Galactica 1980 all over again. Be well programs.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    darakoss wrote: »
    ...in some ways, the amount of detail revealed kills the usual suspense a new show generates in an established continuity-and with the lack of attention to that same continuity they've already shown...or perhaps, lack of respect for the continuity they've already displayed, what coulda-shoulda-been a lot of fans slavering for to see it right now has turned into a "We'll watch the pilot but we're not pre-paying your silly subscription fees unless it's amazing."...

Once again, it should be mentioned these criticisms are nothing new to Star Trek. The very same "backlash" occurred when TNG was first announced.

As for the sub fee, most Trek fans I know wouldn't pay the All Access subscription fee regardless of what the new series is about. It could have been a continuation of TOS or TNG post-Nemesis and they still wouldn't pay for it. So the show being Discovery or TNG v2.0 doesn't matter.

Those who are willing to pay for it either already have All Access or will pick it up because they also enjoy other programs in the CBS library.

With that said, I don't blame CBS at all for trying to use the Trek IP to obtain subscribers. I wish them a lot of success with it. Personally, I think they are better off licensing their library to places like Netflix and Hulu as they already have the brand recognition and subscriber base.

Interesting point point about All Access so I perused Netflix and Hulu and saw alot of CBSs library split between the two including all the Trek series. I wonder if and when CBS decides to pull all that content or not remains to be seen. I have misgivings about DSC. I don't really like the changes but I can also accept that at this point there is nothing I nor anybody else can do about it at this point. It's all in the can. This constant debate about is it prime or not, Klingons or not Klingons, is all moot. It is what it is. I will see the pilot and decide then and there if it's something I will embrace. I think we should all do this as fans of Trek. Then after that we can pick it apart and love or rage as we see fit. I also sat back and thought there is more I dislike about this game than I do in the DSC trailers lol. But we will all see more clearly soon enough. After all....It's not like we are getting Galactica 1980 all over again. Be well programs.
    You mentioned the Great Evil!! Hisssssss!!!!

I'm assuming that at some point CBS will be letting their contracts with other services lapse, similar to what Disney's doing with their own streaming service (by the end of 2019, all the Netflix contracts will have ended, and the only way to watch Moana or The Defenders will be on Disney's service).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

> @artan42 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Ah, the one where all the episodes were terrible. At least they were consistent.

I liked the old battlestar galactica `curtsy`
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Old BSG was Star Wars meets Oregon Trail. New BSG was Voyager with a damn brain in its skull.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options

So while it may be set in the Prime Timeline, the sense I get is that it's different stylistically and tonally to the point that I think it's functionally a reboot

TNG was stylistically very different to TOS. Does that mean it's a reboot too? Enterprise was tonally and stylistically different than anything that came before it. Was it a reboot?

Again, Discovery isn't a reboot, nor was JJ Trek. The original continuity still exists in JJ Trek as it does in Discovery.

Are you me? Because that's almost the reply I was going to post.

I say almost because I'd have certainly been more blunt, but yeah...​​

#TASforSTO