test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STar Trek Discovery

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Not as much fun as the classic synopsis of The Wizard of Oz: "A young girl travels to a far land and kills the first person she meets, then teams up with three strangers to kill again."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Not as much fun as the classic synopsis of The Wizard of Oz: "A young girl travels to a far land and kills the first person she meets, then teams up with three strangers to kill again."

When Australia's channel Eleven began airing DS9 in 2013, TV Week magazine printed a "cheat sheet" for the series, which not only used a cast photo from TNG, but claimed that TNG was set on board the USS Defiant.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CowboyBebopAtHisComputer
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Hubby just informed me that they are not releasing Star Trek: Discovery to critics for advance reviews. He says that is a bad sign for things to come.

I am sure he is, now, laughing at me (inwardly) for being more hopeful.
    I don't believe our household will be making this All Access purchase...unless I knock out the Hubby.

I think he just doesn't want to watch it with me.
    Just like he refuses to watch "The Orville".
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Hubby just informed me that they are not releasing Star Trek: Discovery to critics for advance reviews. He says that is a bad sign for things to come.

Idk about TV shows, but with movies and video games this is typically horrendous news that almost universally means the product is: NNdIHAL.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    LOL I think that is what the Hubby is trying to get across to me, more judiciously.

Kinda "self preservation mode" for him, I suppose....doesn't want me to get my hopes up too high...and have to deal with backlash when I find out that this Star Trek is not "MY" Star Trek, either, in a couple of weeks.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Looking at streaming shows, there were, so far as I can recall, no preview episodes of, for instance, Luke Cage released for critics. That show rocked pretty hard. (I did have to stop watching it for a while, after the episode in which Mariah pinned her killing of her cousin Cottonmouth on Luke. Not because it was bad, but because Alfre Woodard's acting was so bloody good I loathed her at that point, and couldn't stand to see her on the screen. Had to let my emotions die down a bit.)

See, you're using the wrong model here. You're still thinking of it as a TV show, that has to sell advertisers on its value before it airs, so they have to have preview episodes to show ad companies. ST:D only has to sell viewers who don't already want CBS All Access on subscribing to that service - and even that doesn't apply outside the US, where it will be available via other platforms (Space in Canada, I think, and Netflix everywhere else) - and this goal is best accomplished not by critics, or even reviewers*, who we clearly cannot believe (going by the Orville reviews, which were mostly horribly inaccurate), but by letting us all watch the premiere on broadcast and hoping that convinces us.

*Footnote: Spider Robinson, in his book review column for Destinies, "Spider vs. the Hax of Sol III", spelled out the difference between a critic and a reviewer. "I'll tell you not only that I spit it out, but what flavor it was. For all I know, you like pistachio ripple."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    jonsills wrote: »
    See, you're using the wrong model here.

I did say I wasn't sure about TV shows :) .

I honestly have no idea how common it is for TV shows to be pre-screened to critics, what I do know is that when movie and video game critics are embargoed 99% of the time the people in charge are trying to hide a t*rd. This is something I first remember catching onto with Aliens: Colonial Marines, a video game that barely resembles the pre-release "actual in-game footage" shown to hype the game (though I did actually enjoy the game, I cannot deny it's countless issues).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    TV shows get previewed because networks need to sell advertising before the show airs. Games get previewed because the pre-order market has traditionally been a major portion of the revenue stream (this may begin dying out as more games move to an online-only model, and the false scarcity of physical media fades). Online shows generally don't want to go the preview route, in order to hide their plot twists.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    nope, preorders are an even bigger thing now that games have mostly become online purchases - except now they stick in small bonuses that you can only get if you preorder the game and stop being available once it hits the release date - until they release it again a few years down the line, either as part of an ultimate or GOTY edition (like the various preorder gear packs for fallout new vegas) or just for free with a patch or as a download on that game's home site (which rarely happens)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    nope, preorders are an even bigger thing now that games have mostly become online purchases - except now they stick in small bonuses that you can only get if you preorder the game and stop being available once it hits the release date - until they release it again a few years down the line, either as part of an ultimate or GOTY edition (like the various preorder gear packs for fallout new vegas) or just for free with a patch or as a download on that game's home site (which rarely happens)​​

I agree but more and more games are no longer actual releases but "early access" unpolished turds. That way if it sucks the devs simply cry its still early access.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »

I agree but more and more games are no longer actual releases but "early access" unpolished turds. That way if it sucks the devs simply cry its still early access.

In my experience that's mostly a model used by indie games whose devs plain can't afford a large QC staff, coupled with customers not understanding that "early access" means the game isn't finished and they're supposed be acting as bug hunters, not just players. Corporate-backed games have no excuse, though (and single-console games like Halo: The Master Chief Collection have even less: it's not like PCs where there's a bajillion different sets of hardware to account for).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Honestly it's used by almost every publisher now. Giving your work to random people and waiting to see how they break it has always been the most effective way. In-house testing is simply a smaller scope and thus can't do as much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited September 2017
    valoreah wrote: »

OMG! OMG! OMG!! I. Totally. Love what I am reading there.

Still holding my breath though....I can't get my hopes up.
    Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

(Oh no...it is taking everything I got to stay off the Amazon Fire TV and buying CBS All Access..right this minute...)

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Meh. While the theme got me really hyped for a moment, the titles seem as if they'd try very very hard. It's roughly a week now, we'll see pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

Because CBS knows that if even one slightly negative review means lost subs for All Access. Perhaps the bean counters are nervous.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    honestly I think it's more likely that they simply don't want to ruin opening night by having people posting plot synopses all over the internet before then.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    honestly I think it's more likely that they simply don't want to ruin opening night by having people posting plot synopses all over the internet before then.
    :D Reviews aren't the same as synopses leaks. The Orville had negative reviews (clearly paid hatchet jobs) prior to its release. It seems to me, that Discovery are only prepared to play with a hand stacked in their favor ;)
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    :D Reviews aren't the same as synopses leaks. The Orville had negative reviews (clearly paid hatchet jobs) prior to its release. It seems to me, that Discovery are only prepared to play with a hand stacked in their favor ;)
    Heh, clearly you haven't read enough Sun Tzu. If you're expecting a "fair" fight, then you should expect to lose. Why? because you don't know everything, and what you don't know probably will hurt you. Thus if you're trying to win you should give yourselves as much of an advantage as you can.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Reviews aren't the same as synopses leaks. The Orville had negative reviews (clearly paid hatchet jobs) prior to its release. It seems to me, that Discovery are only prepared to play with a hand stacked in their favor

Why are they "paid hatchet jobs"?

Because they don't conform to his opinions. And his opinions are all that count. Even the creators don't get a look in when SL's on the case.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited September 2017
    Heh, clearly you haven't read enough Sun Tzu. If you're expecting a "fair" fight, then you should expect to lose. Why? because you don't know everything, and what you don't know probably will hurt you. Thus if you're trying to win you should give yourselves as much of an advantage as you can.
    Not for a long time :D Oh I don't ever expect a fair fight, nor expect CBS to hold themselves to such standards ;)

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    Reviews aren't the same as synopses leaks. The Orville had negative reviews (clearly paid hatchet jobs) prior to its release. It seems to me, that Discovery are only prepared to play with a hand stacked in their favor

Why do you think they aren't?

artan42 wrote: »

Because they don't conform to his opinions. And his opinions are all that count. Even the creators don't get a look in when SL's on the case.
    Yes, I'm the only person who saw the articles as fake-news hatchet jobs... :D:D

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Oi, quit sniping each other. :/
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Why do you think they aren't?

Well, for starters you can tell the people actually did see the episode(s) and provided their personal opinion on it. Can't say I agreed with everything they all wrote though. Even so, I don't believe that qualifies the reviews as "paid hatchet jobs".