test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Science Ship Build Thread

Comments

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    On the subject of how cool science ships can be, just completed Undine Assault with only 4 players, all optionals and the ships were 3x Scryers and 1 Dyson Science Destroyer.

Basically it rocked!

Shields...pah, eat partigen-shield bypassing-plasma fire death!

Even saw the planet killer fire its death ray attack at guy and it just bounced clean off his shields = EPIC.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    lucho80 wrote: »

The [Part Gens][+Flow] consoles, where flowcaps are the major stat-but listed second, have added a very nice bite to my Tyken's Rift. Flow caps are high but not maxed on the build as I'm using ship sets for + torpedo damage, + aux, and crew protection.

I'm tinkering with a FBP build and thought the Restorative consoles could add some torpedo damage with the two shield and hull heals. However, I'm finding that I'm having to decide between generating threat using Embassy consoles-to power FBP's use, and stacking Restorative damage consoles.​​
    coruunas wrote: »
    Well I'm not sure how viable it'll be, but I was testing something along the lines of a "porcupine" build.

A science vessel with a heavy hull, something like a Nebula or a ha'nom so it can take bit more of a beating.
    Primarly using feedback pulse with its attendant doffs, FAW 1 to get attention, with high threat control. APD.

The basic Idea is to pull them in so they can be rapidly debuffed and your team can pick em off even faster.

I don't really have any builds yet for it, seemed promising during an Argala advanced test but the character was really undergeared and I'm not sure how it would hold up in an STF or DSE.

There is a polarize hull damage reflection doff. Lay it thick with the reflection trait and the Nukara shield.

Thanks for the info. It would be great if the doff % chance was >5% and the shield chance was >1%. But a reflection build would be very interesting. I'm trying the trait out; it would be nice if it had a different color and higher proc rate.

Best damage reflection build would be a S'Golth laid thick with every damage reflection available including the Silent Enemy set. Now THAT is a porcupine build.
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    I put all that on my vesta

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    A rough sketch of a porcupine type didn't bother putting in an mk numbers or rarity.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=porcupinerough_0

Assume 2 FBP Doffs, 2 Proj, 1 Polarize.

The nebula variant uses Structural integrity collapse III in its LCDR Engee slot.

Not sure how well all the gear works together, which is why it is a rough draft

• Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for making this thread. I really like flying science ships, especially with my main sci toon Madame Curie :) I tend to say to newcomers to use a science toon on a science ship as soon as they can, to learn something different from the DPS energy race of this moment of STO. So, i'll post some of my pvp and pve builds for science ships i used in the last year.

PvP Sci Toon Partigen Wells (team based/quick kill)
    The purpose of this build is to run together in a team with other 2 or 3 ships with the same configuration or similar, for a coordinated attack with TBR and isokinetic cannon. Plasma emission torpedo and warp plasma to stuck enemies into clouds (crowd control) and high partigen => high DoTs from them.
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=pvppartigenwellsteambased_0 (variant with structural integrity collapse instead of EWP still viable, less cc but more spike dmg)

PvP Sci Toon Drain Palisade
    A tanky drain palisade featuring tr3, es2 and vm1, to turn off enemies during an alpha strike, holding them with a tb1. Neutronic spread to drain more (very high FC) Works very well in a team, efficient with decent pugs, very annoying for enemies if you are alone :wink: (no tac boffs)
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=pvpdrainpalisade_0 (variant with 1 tr aftershock doff instead of 1 dev lab sci doff for st cd reduction viable)

PvP Eng Toon Full Healer Vesta
    Full healer/tank multipurpose with pugs and with a team based gameplay, to keep everyone alive.
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=vestahealereng_0

PvE Sci Toon Partigen Palisade
    Bored of PvP, i turned my main sci pvp toon into a pve partigen party spammer :# Crowd control, torpedoes and particle-based skill to make high damage spikes and debuffing. Not maxed out, it's a just for fun build (reached 40k in a dps-silver isa run)
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=pvepartigenpalisade_0

The items quality in these links reflex what i really have on my toons, of course maxing out the sci consoles bringing them to epic will improve the overall performances ;)
  • Options
    kencyr11kencyr11 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    I've been thinking hard on science lately and I'm a bit surprised that few have looked at the krenim boffs.
    Many (all?) are heavily focused on traits and skill points but little has been said about what the new boffs do -straight 10% cool down reduction for the boffs career, up to a 30% reduction. Coupled with a bio-neural pack, you are sitting close to global. If you get a (very expensive) full set of 9, you can easily get into a god-mode for science.
    Add in that there is circumstantial evidence that the boffs can actually shift the global cool down...well what could that do for science?
    That's free up doff slots for wreaking further mayhem as well.
    Any thoughts on how this will affect science builds?
  • Options
    e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    kencyr11 wrote: »
    I've been thinking hard on science lately and I'm a bit surprised that few have looked at the krenim boffs.
    Many (all?) are heavily focused on traits and skill points but little has been said about what the new boffs do -straight 10% cool down reduction for the boffs career, up to a 30% reduction. Coupled with a bio-neural pack, you are sitting close to global. If you get a (very expensive) full set of 9, you can easily get into a god-mode for science.
    Add in that there is circumstantial evidence that the boffs can actually shift the global cool down...well what could that do for science?
    That's free up doff slots for wreaking further mayhem as well.
    Any thoughts on how this will affect science builds?

You can only stack 3 Krenim BOffs AFAIK. I am now using 2 for my 2 Science Stations. For Romulans though, the SRO BOffs are better. Same for the Fed (tac BOffs from the Embassy). The CD boost with what you mentioned above, AHOD, Temporal Negotiator and the Temporal core ability brings down CD substantially and IMO is very beneficial to Science builds where BOff CDs can be too long.

On a 2:30 ISA run, I can now fire DRB to both Nanite Sphere clusters and the final Tactical Cube. It's a nice boost to DPS indeed. The faster heal CDs also help me a lot with survivability.
    Post edited by e30ernest on
  • Options
    nandospc wrote: »

A tanky drain palisade featuring tr3, es2 and vm1, to turn off enemies during an alpha strike, holding them with a tb1. Neutronic spread to drain more (very high FC) Works very well in a team, efficient with decent pugs, very annoying for enemies if you are alone :wink: (no tac boffs)
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=pvpdrainpalisade_0 (variant with 1 tr aftershock doff instead of 1 dev lab sci doff for st cd reduction viable)

If you have it, you clould slot in the Solanae 2nd deflector and Tachyon Beam 2 for extra shield healing/draining. The Greedy Emitters starship trait is nice to have too.
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »

If you have it, you clould slot in the Solanae 2nd deflector and Tachyon Beam 2 for extra shield healing/draining. The Greedy Emitters starship trait is nice to have too.

Oh yeah i have it, for sure is a good addition in that scenario, to use it instead of VM1, right? Shield vampire mode on :p, maybe with a CPB to make a thematic build. Anyway, with that build is really fun to see people literally shut down in few seconds and the rage in OPvP :D
  • Options
    Some minor tweaks to Nebula build.

Took it through GGA, if the reinforing battleship hadn't spawned right on top of me, I could have been 1/2 on saving the starbase before the other 4 got 2/2 on the otherside.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=draintorp15_0

As a secondary build I'm trying on a newer char, I'm going for a "havoc" build. Mainly Viral matrix and Scramble, I wonder if I took it into GG I can get the Mir's to ram the dreadnought...that would be fun.

Also a Plasma Strike Experimental Science vessel

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=plasmastrike10_0

It relies on HY3 plasma torps with minor draining. Between the Romulan Set and Kinetic Magnet most of the HY3 torps reach the target. During testing I did notice that if I fired the HY3 torps while boring in on the target, Kinetic Magnet seems to cause fratricide, piloting at the edge of the firing cone spreads out the torps slightly and appears to eliminate that problem.

• Options
    Considering swapping my one of my sci boffs for a krenim one, the other is Mr potato head so he has the bonus of having the pirate trait.
    But even a 10% reduction on cd's for science tricks will be nice.
    If it turns out to be worth it I may replace others too.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah i have it, for sure is a good addition in that scenario, to use it instead of VM1, right? Shield vampire mode on :p, maybe with a CPB to make a thematic build. Anyway, with that build is really fun to see people literally shut down in few seconds and the rage in OPvP :D

I do love seeing people making "zombie" builds that fail to consider power drains. There was this one guy with every death survival trait and trick slotted (That invincible trait should have a 5 min cooldown), and the massive Aux drain was still just too much for him.
  • Options
    kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    With the advent of a lot of new Bridge Officer skills, I've been using a type of Science build (well, its usable with other classes as well) that is based off of two things...

Debuffs and AoE damage

A lot of folks concentrate on Particle skill points, or increasing drain powers, or DoT's like the Embassy consoles and Particle Emission torps. But what I focus on is AoE damage (including splash damage, and yes I know Kemocite is way too OP now, but even when its nerfed its still going to be useful with this kind of build) combined with debuffing either a single target or a large group of targets so said AoE damage spikes as high as possible.

PLUS I try to maintain a good amount of defense with my builds, not sacrificing too much for insane DPS...

My favorite ship in the game right now is the Dauntless (and for reference, I have LOTS of different ships at my disposal). Yes, I know the Annorax is technically superior in every way, but its also an expensive and rare ship now and also quite slow. The Dauntless is much more agile but the Annorax would work well with this build. Here is my current layout, and it can hit over 75k dps in ISA and maintains the ability to tank a large number of targets (or single large targets) while soloing large groups with great crowd control:

KostsDauntless.jpg

By the end of the week, I'm going to be running 2x Krenim Science boffs to help with cooldowns. I might ditch the Tac team doff and the Fleet deflector depending on how well that goes. I also plan on acquiring the new Lockbox ship when it comes out strictly for its trait (supposedly reduces cooldowns when hull is above 80%). I'll aslo be adding on the extra slots from the Ressearch lab when they come around, so this build is only going to be getting better!
  • Options
    Phoey....cant decide which secondary deflector I should stick with for my drain/torp vesta/nebula build. I like the extra drain from solanae but I also like the deteriorating rad damage. Arrrg.

Still want more flow caps, stalled around 300. Figure I can squeeze out another 30 or so with gear upgrades. Still, not horrible for using non-fleet stuff.
  • Options
    Phoey....cant decide which secondary deflector I should stick with for my drain/torp vesta/nebula build. I like the extra drain from solanae but I also like the deteriorating rad damage. Arrrg.

Still want more flow caps, stalled around 300. Figure I can squeeze out another 30 or so with gear upgrades. Still, not horrible for using non-fleet stuff.

I'd go for the radiation damage TBH. The drains are nice to have, but in the end, the damage from radiation will make your job a whole lot easier.
  • Options
    On the topic of torpedo's for my build, has anyone done any testing for the upcoming terran munitions set alongside the dyson and countercommand set for any synergy? In other words would it be worth it trying to shoehorn elements of all 3 into my neb or vesta?
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    So...are all of you guys going Sci/Sci or are some Tac/Sci, etce tc?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • Options

Some of each..Hell I'm even a Eng/Sci ship on my alts

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    I'm Sci/Sci. I do have alts on the works but they probably will be flying their career oriented ships. :smile:
  • Options
    @kostamojenx. What lock box ship?

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    @kostamojenx. What lock box ship?
    Hmm??
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    Some minor tweaks to Nebula build.

Took it through GGA, if the reinforing battleship hadn't spawned right on top of me, I could have been 1/2 on saving the starbase before the other 4 got 2/2 on the otherside.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=draintorp15_0

As a secondary build I'm trying on a newer char, I'm going for a "havoc" build. Mainly Viral matrix and Scramble, I wonder if I took it into GG I can get the Mir's to ram the dreadnought...that would be fun.

Also a Plasma Strike Experimental Science vessel

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=plasmastrike10_0

It relies on HY3 plasma torps with minor draining. Between the Romulan Set and Kinetic Magnet most of the HY3 torps reach the target. During testing I did notice that if I fired the HY3 torps while boring in on the target, Kinetic Magnet seems to cause fratricide, piloting at the edge of the firing cone spreads out the torps slightly and appears to eliminate that problem.

If you have the Reman 2 piece with the + flight speed and defense for HY plasma torpedoes, you might find value in trying it out.​​
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    ... I also plan on acquiring the new Lockbox ship when it comes out strictly for its trait (supposedly reduces cooldowns when hull is above 80%)....!

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited October 2015

I love Sci but I'd consider more Tac with more low-level torpedo skills. Like how they are filling out Sci offense powers on lower levels with DRB, and Subspace Vortex (a pay skill though).​​
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Ok, just reporting back to this cool thread to inform that I made the adjustments:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=zarlottesdauntless_9361

The two embassy plasma explosion consoles only parsed a few percent of DPS anyway on the build so they have been thrown out and replaced by three research lab consoles. I picked the ones giving me the option to stay truthful to the original build idea which was to have some sort of “balanced sci skills” instead of just going after one aspect totally.

Research lab consoles seem like the right thing to get there so I currently ended up with:

~210% flow caps
    ~250% particle gens
    ~240% grav gens

I also got the FUN tractor beam repulsor reverse doff and integrated tractor beam repulsors 3. One of the new strategic fleet secondary deflectors was added as well and that with a lucky quality upgrade.

I’m very satisfied with the results so far. For the first few runs I did it seems like I traded like 4k plasma explosions for 12k sci related damage right along with THE most fun toon to play in ISA that I currently have.

One question though:
    e30ernest wrote: »
    The Biochemist that reduces threat whenever you cast a damaging exotic ability is good to have in this case too.

Could you please give me the name of that doff and/or where to get him? At the moment it feels that I basically only need to hit one sci ability on my ship and have the entire map at my throat while tacs and tanks seem to be ignored for the most part.

Other than that I put the build on freeze again until the Kemo issue has been addressed. If it’s still worth to use after it has been adjusted I’d be curios what options are around for me to boost radiation damage.

Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Ok, just reporting back to this cool thread to inform that I made the adjustments:

The two embassy plasma explosion consoles only parsed a few percent of DPS anyway on the build so they have been thrown out and replaced by three research lab consoles. I picked the ones giving me the option to stay truthful to the original build idea which was to have some sort of “balanced sci skills” instead of just going after one aspect totally.

Research lab consoles seem like the right thing to get there so I currently ended up with:

~210% flow caps
    ~250% particle gens
    ~240% grav gens

I also got the FUN tractor beam repulsor reverse doff and integrated tractor beam repulsors 3. One of the new strategic fleet secondary deflectors was added as well and that with a lucky quality upgrade.

I’m very satisfied with the results so far. For the first few runs I did it seems like I traded like 4k plasma explosions for 12k sci related damage right along with THE most fun toon to play in ISA that I currently have.

One question though:
    The Biochemist that reduces threat whenever you cast a damaging exotic ability is good to have in this case too.

Could you please give me the name of that doff and/or where to get him? At the moment it feels that I basically only need to hit one sci ability on my ship and have the entire map at my throat while tacs and tanks seem to be ignored for the most part.

Other than that I put the build on freeze again until the Kemo issue has been addressed. If it’s still worth to use after it has been adjusted I’d be curios what options are around for me to boost radiation damage.

He (or is it a she) is a Xindi DOff, Ultra Rare Biochemist if I remember right. I am out of the game right now (I am not sure if I can login before the big maintenance today) but when I get back I'll look it up for you.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2015

~210% flow caps
    ~250% particle gens
    ~240% grav gens

One question though:

He (or is it a she) is a Xindi DOff, Ultra Rare Biochemist if I remember right. I am out of the game right now (I am not sure if I can login before the big maintenance today) but when I get back I'll look it up for you.

Ah Xindi, thx. Seems to be on wiki:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ch'zilti'la

Is that him? And aww, only 10% chance to trigger. Think still worth it? :)
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    So I've been very much enjoying the plasma emission torpedo this week.

Combined with the R&D console that add extra damage when an exotic damage occurs this proc is going off all the time nearly as the could counts as exotic damage I think? Been getting some massive damage from this torp since I started using the new console.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Ah Xindi, thx. Seems to be on wiki:

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Ch'zilti'la

Is that him? And aww, only 10% chance to trigger. Think still worth it? :)

It seems to work well enough for me. I had him anyway from one of the lockboxes so might as well use him/her. :smile:

Anyway, new build:

Reconnaisance Science Vessel (Luna)/Tier 5
    Description
    This is a science-torpedo budget build. Parses around 16-20k in a PUG environment. The ship was free (reward for leveling up) and I spent a whopping 380k EC, 0 Dil and 0 Zen to outfit her. All items are either drops, mission rewards or bought from the exchange. This ship uses no reputation items that require advanced fleet marks and fleet equipment.

Overall, this is a ship any player can build with a little patience. The traits can be ground from normal STFs and the specializations can be gained while gaining those traits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/3opau2/20k_dps_pug_science_torpedo_budget_build_free_t4/

Video:

https://youtu.be/HVOF2IEIxW0

That death there was purely my fault. :blush:
    Post edited by e30ernest on
  • Options
    welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    Dumb question - do any of you folks run any of those Voth reputation consoles....(the ones that help certain sci builds, that help shields, etc...)
    T93uSC8.jpg