Install Arc

The Science Ship Build Thread

Comments

• yoda2005yoda2005 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    On a Sci, either solanae w/ 4pc set or iconian one
    s7CQHZ3.jpg
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    Interesting. Thanks!

Now I currently have 84 power ins IIRC. Would 50 more power insulators (from 2 R&D consoles) be worth having or should I aim for a different secondary stat? Not much for me to gain from Flow though since I am not really running a torp boat. Maybe it would help Neutronic (or QPhase if I run it) but it won't be much. +ShdHP won't do much would it (with the large number of shield bypass skills)?
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    e30ernest wrote: »
    Interesting. Thanks!

Now I currently have 84 power ins IIRC. Would 50 more power insulators (from 2 R&D consoles) be worth having or should I aim for a different secondary stat? Not much for me to gain from Flow though since I am not really running a torp boat. Maybe it would help Neutronic (or QPhase if I run it) but it won't be much. +ShdHP won't do much would it (with the large number of shield bypass skills)?

That Quantum Phase Torp is awesome at most levels of flow caps..The best benefit is under torp spread. On my ship with a Flwc Secondary (around 260) its 23k to all shields..Its worth looking into..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    The Science a channel is up and running folks! Come one come all and practice your space wizardry among friends!

Here's the official announcement:

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1211408/announcing-the-science-channel#latest
    edited February 2016
    An update to U.S.S. Curiosity to add all the new science goodies given to us I ended up using:

Fleet Long Range Science Vessel (Pathfinder)/Tier 6
    Description
    This is an end-game DPS build focusing on radiation, exotic damage and torpedos. Current best parse is 89k in ISA. Could probably hit 100k with some good flying.

Build
    https://redd.it/45y1s1

https://youtu.be/YyOiEuTPiDQ
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Nice one.

Is that Checkmate trait from the science oddy? That looks pretty impressive but also to me looks like a prime target for the nerf bat if it has no lockout.
    SulMatuul.png
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    Nice one.

Is that Checkmate trait from the science oddy? That looks pretty impressive but also to me looks like a prime target for the nerf bat if it has no lockout.

Yes it's from the Sci Oddy.

I don't think it's as OP as it seems. There are much more powerful ship traits out there (Emergency Weapons Cycle comes into mind and that has no lockout as well).

On paper, Checkmate isn't all that powerful. It's a 30% cat 1 boost (less than 1 tac console). What's going on here I think is that my ship lacks cat 1 boosts (I'm not running any of the traditional tac consoles) leaving that part of the damage calculations unsaturated. The damage boost to each individual skill is small. However, since I am using so many exotic damage sources (deflector, DRB, GW, TBR, torps) they add up and get multiplied because they are mostly AOE.

I do not expect Checkmate to perform as well on more traditional builds that stack tac consoles (like my Hestia).
  • coruunascoruunas Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    Deteriorating rather than inhibiting?
    coruunas wrote: »

Yeah, I find that Deteriorating works better on high DPS runs.
    edited February 2016
    Krenim Science Vessel (2016 Anniversary Ship)/Tier 6
    Description
    This is a budget build with no fleet or reputation gear. I spent 2.8M EC, no dil and no zen for the setup. Most of that EC went to a Constriction Anchor (2M at the exchange when I was building this ship). The rest were drops or mission rewards.

Best PUG parse was at 30k and best DPS-Channel run was at 37k (with 1 death because I screwed up). :smile: 50k in a DPS channel run is within reach I think if I learn to fly this better.

Build
    https://redd.it/4645wn
    Krenim Science Vessel (2016 Anniversary Ship)/Tier 6
    Description
    This is a budget build with no fleet or reputation gear. I spent 2.8M EC, no dil and no zen for the setup. Most of that EC went to a Constriction Anchor (2M at the exchange when I was building this ship). The rest were drops or mission rewards.

Best PUG parse was at 30k and best DPS-Channel run was at 37k (with 1 death because I screwed up). :smile: 50k in a DPS channel run is within reach I think if I learn to fly this better.

Build
    https://redd.it/4645wn

Been thinking about setting one of those up as a porcupine ship. It's sluggish, actually feels more sluggish than my nebula. If it's a brick it might as well be a spiky brick.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    @e30ernest - Thank you for that comprehensive guide. The cost to performance ratio that you have pulled from your build is impressive to put it mildly. Your build is well within the grasp of even new players and will have them effective enough to handle end game content in a way that will provide benefit to their entire team.

I have a Fed Engineer that I haven't been able to really find a place for, I'm going to put her in the Krenim ship and use your build as a template. I realize that not being a Science Officer it won't be exactly the same, but I'm pretty sure I can adapt it. As a long time beam boat DPS Vet, I really appreciated the video to go along with your build. I really have no idea 'how to science' but have learned a lot from your write up and video.

Thank you very much, and well done sir.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited February 2016
    So after selling a lot VR/epic I gear I scrounged up enough keys to get my hands on a Paradox.

The Amárach-type

One thing I am not sure of is the subatomic disruptor on the Aeons, I dont know if it ignores shields are not, not a huge deal in a drain build but would be useful to know.

Torpedo wise it packs a punch, was using it in a Counterpoint and ended up punting (forgot to unslot overwhelming force) the terran temporal dread a good distance away from the others and destroying it quickly. Turned out to be useful as there only 4 of us to start with giving the others a chance to deal with more conventional ships.

Getting the trait will add some punch to the tykens, not sure if aftershocks will trigger it

Throw in a couple torpedo doffs, a couple deflector doffs and a tykens aftershock doff

One of these days I'll get all the gear upgraded past mid-range gear.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    A quick ISA video of me flying the budget ship:

https://youtu.be/oLgbcTHrnA8

Very, very impressive. Your torpedo work in particular was just epic.

I have my own build of that ship with far more expensive bits & pieces, yet my best is only 25K. Sincere congratulations.
    A quick ISA video of me flying the budget ship:

https://youtu.be/oLgbcTHrnA8

Very, very impressive. Your torpedo work in particular was just epic.

I have my own build of that ship with far more expensive bits & pieces, yet my best is only 25K. Sincere congratulations.

Thank you for the kind words. :smile:
    Is there a list of -resistance interactions...stacking, overriding etc? Planning on working on a -res build when I get back from work. Intended as more of maximizing others dps while still packing a decent punch
    Is there a list of -resistance interactions...stacking, overriding etc? Planning on working on a -res build when I get back from work. Intended as more of maximizing others dps while still packing a decent punch

A fairly old thread, so I don't know if the math is still right, but I trust the source. @jarvisandalfred may have better updated figures.

A fairly old thread, so I don't know if the math is still right, but I trust the source. @jarvisandalfred may have better updated figures.

My eyes got kind of droopy trying to make it through some of that data, but from what I can tell the only overriding or non stacking comes from when something gets reapplied, ie APB. Looks like the best bet for me is to shotgun -res abilities. Maybe in time someone will figure it out a little better and I can streamline the abilites to eliminate non contributing -res abilities.
    The Tarraing-type

Been playing around with this of late, seems to be working fairly well with potential big improvements coming with the skill revamp.

At around 200 Grav it has a pull range of about 12KM, sufficient for most maps, once they are all together I like to fire off the ionic turbulence, followed SS1 and then ts3, and then put a cherry on the top with the rift stabilizer.

There's still a bunch of equipment upgrades It needs, but between those and 11.5 I have a lot of hope. It should meet my expectations of decent DPS for myself while enhancing others DPS.

edited March 2016
    So I went back and revisited the Amárach, and adjusted it to the Amárach II. I fused some of the previous types ideas with some of @odenknight 's torpedo build concepts. All the gear is non fleet with a wild range of mark and rarity, even so a quick ISA Pug had it at 32K, and thats with dying once. And for some reason the planner does not have the chronmetric capacitor, which is in the empty slot

Right now I'm favoring a TS3 with the QPT to start with, helps to blow the shields off the lesser ships followed by GW3, SS2, IT1 and temporal distortions. I intend to get rid of the CF1 and replace it with KLW1, but that may take a bit, since I rather spend EC on keys and try that way rather than the 100 MIL I saw it for on the exchange.

For Doff's 2 purple CD PWO's, 1 Blue Crit PWO, 1 Purple grav aftershock and 1 purple deflector CD.

So I'm thinking about making a drain-aggro tank out of a Paradox. What do you guys think? Viable?

I wish there was a Lobi sale soon... :(
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I tossed my current "Sci-Kor" build onto the KDF Forum, in case anyone needs a chuckle at my expense for not having everything unlocked and only getting up to a mere 252 Particle Generators skill on 3 Science Consoles. Very much an Enhanced Battle Cloak Torpedo Bomber type build that uses SCIENCE! to help it punch above its weight class.
    So I'm thinking about making a drain-aggro tank out of a Paradox. What do you guys think? Viable?

Hull strength is a problem, so you'll need to make sure you have enough in that department. I find in ISA if I'm not careful, the sphere swarm will make short work of me after a gen goes. It seems they dont like being pulled, scrambled or turbulence.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter

You use the deflector that goes with the science skills you're using.

Drainer - Deteriorating or Solanae
    Exotic/Control - Inhibiting

Hull strength is a problem, so you'll need to make sure you have enough in that department. I find in ISA if I'm not careful, the sphere swarm will make short work of me after a gen goes. It seems they dont like being pulled, scrambled or turbulence.

That's why I was thinking of going the drain route. While it won't shut things down (since it won't be a full-drain build), it would hopefully drain stuff enough to bring down damage to a more manageable level.
    lucho80 wrote: »

You use the deflector that goes with the science skills you're using.

Drainer - Deteriorating or Solanae
    Exotic/Control - Inhibiting

Deteriorating is better for a DPS build though. So if you have at least 1 DRB slotted in, Deteriorating will be even better than Inhibiting even if you run a lot of control abilities especially in runs where people are over 30k DPS.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I find inhibiting better on my cc build even though I also slot DRB because it's a lot easier to get that extra damage from shooting grav wells than it is to keep your nose pointed at the enemy when using DRB.
    I find DRB is a very situational attack and only ever use it when I know the enemy isn't going anywhere, which means I use grav well as my primary attack much more.
    SulMatuul.png
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Well for my mirror themed sci toon the paradox was kinda a must have. Like pointed out the hull is unfamiliar fragile for a ship of its size and since I’m rather used to small crafts my main difficulty atm is to estimate the reach of critter warp core explosions precisely enough (hehe).

You mentioned drain so your weapons are most likely energy based. I really found the “Energy Refrequencer” trait to be a portend ally for durability in the 60k+ DPS reach there. Since I mostly include pugs in my runs getting considerable amounts of aggro (despite of using -5 threat consoles *cries*) is something I have to live with.

I always like to see my sci attributes in “sync” with the rest of the build rather than something worth going into the extreme over so I suppose my paradox ended up as some kind of siege build (with drain, crowed control, de-buffing and damage absorption elements).

My sci boff powers vary from time to time (energy syphon, tykens rift, resonance beam, subspace vortex, sometimes feedback pulse). I’m thinking about either going more flow or particle gens in the future but I guess I wait the skill revamp and see what happens then.

I know this build won't grand me any medals from the sci purists in this thread but brings me in a position to play a influential role in 95% of the PvE matches I do so fun is ensured and the rest I don’t really care about. :)

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=impsparadox_9361
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    way back in the beginning of the game (literally the first month) I had an engineer that flew science ships. And I ended up in a DSSV and was using Viral Matrix a lot and the placates, and the idea was to "control" enemies.

Viral Matrix got changes in the first major patch. And I moved on.

But I've been wanting to see if a subsystem offline focused build (Viral Matrix) is viable. And this seems like the perfect thread to ask that question.

Right now I'm working on it on an alt. So it's budget level. It's a Vesta he's flying. And I was trying to figure out if it's even worth trying to get a T6 Science vessel for this or just keep working on it on the Vesta. I'm leaning towards Torpedoes, the gravimetric (and thus the proton weapon for set bonus) and an omni beam for Subsystem Targeting. But that's really as far as I've gotten. Well and I'm trying to combine subsystem targeting powers with Viral Matrix with Boarding Party to maximize the chance to take systems offline. But I'm a total noob on this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Since science builds can be heavily reliant on cooldown reduction (due to long cd on sci skills) this may come in handy:

(Warning! MATH) https://redd.it/4cqdgd

Adding the information on the opening post too. Props to @iusasset for crunching the numbers.