What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Queue Revamps

Comments

• Options
    uraciouseuraciouse Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Some true and challenging endgame :) Even if I never get to it, it is good to know that it is there. Gives me a reason to actually upgrade my ship!

(now... could we maybe have some progression ques like World of ******** raids? Dont make it the whole purpose of the game mind you but it would be nice)
  • Options
    tiberiusdangertiberiusdanger Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So, once again Cryptic decides that harder means that everything has way more hit points and can one shot kill you. That's not more difficult it's just more frustrating.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    this might be interesting. though just cranking up hitpoints and damage even more is so boring and a missed opportunity to instead give the npcs more station powers, so they are more like a player ship. will just have to play everything like its NWS probably.

been playing missions on tribble at elite, and its just so boring, but i need the high xp payout to level. everything has between 175k to 500k hull, and ya faw is kind of worthless there because the damage just tickles them and they regen so before they die after 15-20 minutes you probably deal enough damage to the npc group to kill them twice. burring them down 1 at a time with 5 DHC CRF build works best, but its still just cycle abilities and chase for 1-5 minutes per npc.

this isn't actually more fun then 5 seconds to 1 minute like on normal. them throwing abilities back, having much lower hitpoints but healing would actually be fun. sci ships and sci captains would be useful here too, if npcs can really buff, debuffing them will actually seriously effect their baseline performance. nuke an npc now? well that FAW they can only use once every 2 minute... no the SNB would have worn off before it was going to be able to use it again anyway :rolleyes:

the least the devs could do here is on elite and advanced, give the npc skills the same uptime as they would have if you put 9 points into it. me me half way at least devs
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    By the sound of it, the types of queues will finally feel apropriate for what each is suposed to represent. That is indeed good. I'm not a huge fan of "hardcapping", though I can understand it on a 'normal' queue. Elite STF insta-fail for everyone getting blown up? Sweet, maybe we'll finally get some excitement out of playing the queues instead everyone knowing how it would unravel beforehand.

Just one more thing Cryptic - raise the cover shield, like now!!! Put tampons in your ears, look the other way, please. For there will be whining. There will be crying for nerfs. You know it well enough. Please be determined to ignore it and make people adapt.
    Normals and Advanced will need players too and if someone is not cut out for elite, they should play the lower difficulties instead of hoping for nerfs.

All in all, I think this will be a good adition.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ashkrik, who do you think supplies the materials you have to buy? Some might be from C-store packs but most are from running the queued events.

I know..and the people who want elite materials but won't play elite queues can buy them off the exchange..
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited September 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

Just one more thing Cryptic - raise the cover shield, like now!!! Put tampons in your ears, look the other way, please. For there will be whining. There will be crying for nerfs. You know it well enough. Please be determined to ignore it and make people adapt.
    Normals and Advanced will need players too and if someone is not cut out for elite, they should play the lower difficulties instead of hoping for nerfs.

Lol it already happen!!!
    thatguy wrote:
    So, once again Cryptic decides that harder means that everything has way more hit points and can one shot kill you. That's not more difficult it's just more frustrating.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

You must have not read the thing at all..
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm calling it now.

Any non-targetable torpedo from Elite Cubes will insta-kill any ship through full shields and hull.

:)
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    All the ragers can just zerg advanced.
    Or not. Some of them probably suck too much for advanced.
    Someone will still turn up in a miranda.
    Like duh... I'mma gonna at least once try doing a pre-made team of low level ships just for lolz.

It was fun doing Starbase defense with a team of T1 and T2 ships. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I ll pay someone to do the STFs for me, I don't have anything from the Rep system :D
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    After reading this blog it sounds great but I have a few areas of a long period of gaming with the same setup to see if this queue revamp was thought of.

First thing is will their be adequate KDF ships launched in DR that will match or exceed the fire power of any federation or klingon ship because as of right now our bops and battle cruisers are underpowered compared to ships those two faction have.

The other issue is in many mmorpgs right now the kids these days like to call this kind of reward farming in the queue style. What it sums down to is ppl will call it afk or fail farming where they just all sit and keep going into queue's until they get what they want. So mostly they will pop in to fail and get their daily boxes and log off under an hours time.

I do like the idea of all this but I do see so much potential for it to be abused. Although I hope that when this does get launched that we will have adequate ships across the board for each faction to cover the types of ships we have out there. Although I won't hold my breathe for this to happen but when a strategy requires very high dps that only fed and rom based faction ships can do it pretty much alienates the KDF even more with this system so I believe if this isn't fixed by the launch of it I definately won't be making any kind of return to this game since its fizzled out for me months ago now.

Edit: One more additional comment about the increase in difficulty though. Especially when it comes to ground about 99% of the player base skips right to elite and then is one shotted and then blames everyone else because they have no idea what they are doing. Pretty much you won't see any elite grounds going off because of the fact that the ppl who I would consider elite most of them have quit and probally never returning to this game. I know of a few on forums who are about average or elite themselves but its less than I can count on one hand(and yes I can count all of my fingers and toes plus some more :)).
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Sadly, knowing Cryptic, this is all too likely. It's just easier to copy/pasta more enemies on a map, add more health and damage, and call it a challenge. If the AI still behaves the same way and uses the same abilities, it just makes for a more time-consuming mission.

The most skilled players will probably just end up falling asleep mid-mission. :P
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It sounds great! I know that even normal will be a more difficult as the enemies were usually below 50 and will now be 50.

I have so far tested regular missions on elite and it is far more difficult than on holodeck so I know that its not going to be the same breeze it's been in the PvEs.

My only concern with this announcement would be players queue up for Advanced and not Normal for a chance at the bonuses but clearly not geared for it and ruining it for Advanced players. The reward for failing optionals on Advanced should be less than the award for playing normal and same for elite. This would encourage you to play your skill level or risk not getting the normal award.

If I think I can handle Normal but know that no matter what on Advanced I still get the Normal reward then I'm going to queue Advanced. I get a chance at better loot with no risk in losing what i set out for in the first place. The same also goes for Elite... people will queue knowing they get the base rewards no matter what. They aren't going to care if it screws the pooch for everyone else.

I know I know... don't pug blah blah blah but that's what the queues are there for and the rewards shouldn't reward biting off more than you can chew.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Finally something new and interesting out them for X2. Plenty of feddy bears are gonna die LOL and that i like. It will not be because they have worse ships or gear, they outnumber and outgun the kdf by far now, its because in general (not all ) are not as good of Captains.

Also how about the cool down timers? We know from the fleet mission cheat leaving early to avoid a cool down was a bad thing so we have to have some sort of cool down but the blog says rewards are scaled based on amount completed. cool-down should be tied to that as well. so if you complete half the mission then the feddy bears TRIBBLE it up somehow and the mission ends. the cool down timer is only % of what of what it should have been had the mission completed in success.

increments:
    1.full time
    2. 75% of time
    3. 50% of time
    4. min cool down 25% of time.

that being said pretty much these are good changes or at least sound that way but maybe a few things would be change further if i was in charge.

Normal:
    lvl 50 to compete in normal mission?
    id change it to LvL 40 so people learn how to do the mission and require 10 successful completions with all optional before advanced unlocks no matter your lvl, but with a min lv 50 for advanced.

Advanced
    must be lvl 50 as stated must reach lvl 60 and complete the mission 20 times with the Optional before elite unlocks.

because as it is now most people take the elite only because the rewards are higher. they dont care if its a challenge and i dare say most dont want it or else some of the harder missions would que up faster than the easy missions.

would be easy to keep track of the used to do it in the form of tracking accolades and gear unlocking. so it could be done and would keep people out who just are not ready for it.

with what the blog says i could lvl up to 60 doing doff missions then jump into an elite without having a clue what to do. and ruin the entire mission for those who do know what they are doing.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Or not. Some of them probably suck too much for advanced.Like duh... I'mma gonna at least once try doing a pre-made team of low level ships just for lolz.

It was fun doing Starbase defense with a team of T1 and T2 ships. :)

True, advanced got a buff...So they can go zerg normal then ;D.
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    Sadly, knowing Cryptic, this is all too likely. It's just easier to copy/pasta more enemies on a map, add more health and damage, and call it a challenge. If the AI still behaves the same way and uses the same abilities, it just makes for a more time-consuming mission.

The most skilled players will probably just end up falling asleep mid-mission. :P

What I noticed doing patrols on Elite on tribble is that if you don't take down the lead ships in a certain amount of time, reinforcements show up. I don't recall that mechanic happening in the past and the enemies definitely are harder and do a lot more healing and exotic powers. The NPCs that sometimes assist you also go on a cooldown where they are doing repairs to themselves before they come back and assist you again.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 243 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    I love this change. Thank you Cryptic! Gives everyone a challenge in PvE.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thank you!!
    First time from the DR announce I am really excited, I can't wait to see those new optionals and hardened enemies. Maybe STO's elite queues will be again "elite". :D
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I know..and the people who want elite materials but won't play elite queues can buy them off the exchange..

Right...have you seen how much people ask for the very rare particles you get in Elite at the moment? For each particle?
    Many people will indeed risk elite hoping that the team will manage.
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This sounds awesome and I cant wait to try the new Elite missions, but to be honest, this isent what I was hoping for when Cryptic said they would fix power creep. I was hoping that they would fix the game so people cant do over 30k DPS :/
    edited September 2014
    I have mixed feelings about this it could be the best thing ever or a horrific fail and is this happening on all queues or just delta rising ones
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    mikefl wrote: »
    The NPCs that sometimes assist you also go on a cooldown where they are doing repairs to themselves before they come back and assist you again.

The NPC cooldown mechanic has been in the game, but I've only seen it in one or two missions. NPC allies usually underperform and get locked into that cooldown cycle frequently. At best they're a meatshield that's useful every now and then. :P If Cryptic improved on this though, then that's good.

A big problem I anticipate with elite is the splitting of the party on certain missions, forcing people to carry more weight than feasible when encountering overwhelming odds at certain points. Chances are I'll never play these missions on elite.

Also, what would be handy to have for teaming is a marker system, so the party can prioritize targets.
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    Finally something new and interesting out them for X2. Plenty of feddy bears are gonna die LOL and that i like. It will not be because they have worse ships or gear, they outnumber and outgun the kdf by far now, its because in general (not all ) are not as good of Captains.

LoL Outgun is an understatement lol. In comparison with fed ships and using a negh'var for example pretty much a hospitality/entertainment ship in this game out guns a negh'var. Our bops are kinda like an intrepid without sensor analysis with a weak vape attempt instead lol. Roughly if you took the KDF in its current form and then replaced it with the franchises KDF during dominion war the jem hadar would have taken like 6 minutes to take over the whole klingon empire. Hate to say it for the billionth time but they aren't really capable of doing a game with more than one faction. I believe the ppl who make guild wars realized it was a bad idea too and why their game now doesn't have any factions because of how games like this and even ones under their own publishers have failed horribly in this same regard.
  • Options
    landdonlanddon Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I think we should actually see this in action first and see how it works. It sounds good, but then how does this tie into not having to purchase or possess a new tier 6 ship? A lot of people are doing a lot of chest pounding and not thinking it all the way thru.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nice! Just hope Borticus was right about not just hiking up hitpoints, dps and one shots..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    myrnwynmyrnwyn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm looking forward to failing Viscous Cycle because we can't scan the unstable anomaly :P
  • Options
    stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Besides the new voice overs, and potential episode content, this sounds like best news so far...
    trelane87 wrote: »
    I think the biggest challenge won't be the queues themselves but finding competent individuals to do the queues with :P

Indeed.
    But not having to continue through a failed optional mission or take a leaver penalty,
    might help ease the pain of the pug.
    (Provided it fails early on in the mission, and not 3/4 into it).
    rld2 wrote: »
    This more shields and hp mess is the easy way out to make a harder enemy. Why not make them 'smarter' and more specialized in their class, not just add hp and shields to make it 'take longer' to kill them.

That would definitely be better...

Maybe it was just a dream i had, but...

When season 6(?), (give or take a season or two), was released,
    some of the borg spheres suddenly started running away from my attacks like they were using evasive maneuvers or something.
    I actually had to "pursue" some of them and hunt them down.
    That was fun!
    ...And I'd swear some of them actually altered course to "avoid" my ejected warp plasma.

This stopped happening after a week or two into the season,
    so I just figured a bunch of (girly-man), players complained that it was too hard,
    and the dev's changed it back.

Or maybe, it was just a dream...
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And they'll be people trying to pug elite :rolleyes:.

I will

and have never done anything but.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    splitboysplitboy Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hm strange the only Thing that is mentioned about raising the difficulty is enemies do more damage and have more hitpoints.

Still nothing that does imply less then pure DPS is the way to beat the challenge.

Well i wait and see if we get suprised by real bossfight like mechanics that Need more then just pew pew.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    When season 6(?), (give or take a season or two), was released,
    some of the borg spheres suddenly started running away from my attacks like they were using evasive maneuvers or something.
    I actually had to "pursue" some of them and hunt them down.
    That was fun!
    ...And I'd swear some of them actually altered course to "avoid" my ejected warp plasma.

This stopped happening after a week or two into the season,
    so I just figured a bunch of (girly-man), players complained that it was too hard,
    and the dev's changed it back.

Or maybe, it was just a dream...

I think it was season 6 and i agree with you. it did make it more fun. but everybody cried because the spheres would run and hide by gates for cover fire and things like that .
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG