test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Salvage, Dungeon Event Chests, and AD Updates!

dinohedrondinohedron Member, Moderators, Cryptic Developers Posts: 28 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey everyone,

I wanted to take some time and talk about some of the new changes we have going live with Fury of the Feywild. We got tons of great feedback from all of you the first time we looked at making similar changes. That feedback not only helped us refine our approach but it also pointed out some parts of the game that needed improvement as well. Your excellent feedback directly fueled our new approach!

Salvage Trader
Hieronymous Glim is back! You can find his stall and animated hammer in the Seven Suns Coster Market. Talk to him to find out everything you need to know about Salvage. If you have any level 60 purple items you don’t need you can bring them here, right click them, and select the Salvage option to destroy them and gain Rough Astral Diamonds.

Dungeon Delve Event Chest
We’ve changed how the special chest from the Dungeon Delves event rewards gear. Previously when the chest rewarded you with a piece of Tier gear for a particular slot it would randomly be one of three sets, each with a different stat allocation and play style focus. Now when the chest rewards you with a piece of Tier gear you will be able to pick which of the three sets you want! The chance of getting a particular slot remains unchanged so it will be much quicker (and less up to the whim of the RNG) for you to complete the specific set you are looking for!
Because these items are meant as a special reward for you during this event anything the event chest rewards you will be bound to your character. This is a change to the way the chest grants the reward, not to the item itself. So if the item is Binds on Equip anywhere else it comes from remains Binds on Equip. Boss drops for instance are unchanged.

Most of the above changes will debut on Preview this weekend so hop on and let us know what you think over the next couple of weeks. We’re also working on more changes that will make it to Preview soon but won’t be in the weekend build.

AD Price Adjustments
We are also lowering the AD cost of several services and items in the game! It isn’t in the Preview build yet but in general we’re looking to reduce the fees for Enchantment and Runestone unslotting, Feat Respecs, Item Transmutation, Wondrous Bazaar Companions, and Wondrous Bazaar level 60 Blue Gear by around 10% on average. Check out the patch notes when it hits for more details if you’re interested.

Neverember AD Daily
When the AD changes go up on Preview, all new and existing level 60 characters should make sure to talk to Knox and pick up Audience with the Protector. This mission takes you to Lord Neverember himself where he thanks you for all your heroic efforts and introduces you to his advisors who explain what kind of content is available for level 60 characters. After that Neverember offers level 60 characters a daily mission worth a nice chunk of AD. Make sure you check in with him every day, he pays even better than Rhix. ;)

The updated AD prices and Neverember missions will be on Preview sometime after this weekend. Once again thanks for all the feedback!

-Zeke
Post edited by dinohedron on

Comments

• Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Great news! Thanks Zeke!

I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered. To give a choice of 3 different items to reduce the RNG backlash that is bound to happen in BoP systems is an awesome idea as well as the addition of the Salvager.

Thank you.

One question about the AS Price Adjustments: you hit all the big ones other than the Mount Upgrades? I know it hasn't been mentioned on the forums but honestly I think it's more because the price is so outrageously high people are putting two and two together and buying a Tier 3 Mount rather than upgrades.

If the mount upgrades made all mounts upgrade then it would be worth it but if that is the case the description is not clear in the least. That service needs to be either clearer in purchase description or far, far cheaper. If I can buy a Tier 3 Mount on all characters for 1.1M then a single mount upgrade should cost far less and not at least double to triple that fee. ;)
  • Options
    coogrrrcoogrrr Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nice addition to the system for sure! Got my Feywild ordered and cant wait as a vet of the foundry also.

NOW - please everyone get on this with me - NEW CLASSES - NEW CLASSES - NEW CLASSES!!!! Content is king and your doing awesome here. But we want and frankly NEED new classes. I have maxed each class to 60 and I will also eventually do all Feywild on all 5 characters. LONG will I miss being a **** character learning my abilites anew. We level a tad fast in this game so you have got to make more classes which means I spend more for gear/mounts/pets/misc. Which means I am on the game MORE and that leads to me spending more MONEY!

I am an OG = original gamer and I need content, new classes, camaraderie and basically in that order so I can stay a loyal fan forever!

Just my 2 AD worth!
    Coogrrr
    Soldiers of Defiance
    Dragon Server
    It Can Wait!!!
    Dont text and drive please. Dont risk your life and the lives of others. Join the cause and take the pledge - See more at: http://www.itcanwait.com

RM1fNp64
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Brilliant! Thanks, Zeke!
  • Options
    kingculexkingculex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Very nice. Having the Salvage Trader and the Choice of three sets will offset being bound to character and PVP gear not being able to be sold for gold. Hopefully it is a decent amount of rough astral diamonds because some the the gear is currently being sold for a big chunk of refined diamonds. The new Price adjustments and a Daily are also nice. Does the daily give Rough AD or Refined AD? I only ask because it was not specified like in the Salvage Trader description.
    Every class has advantages and disadvantages. Learn the disadvantages of you class to overcome them. Learn the advantages of your class and the disadvatages of other classes to use them in pvp to win.

There is no point to whine for nerfs because you win some and loose some. Crying just makes a player look like a crier and no one, especially the devs, should take them seriously. Have a nice day!:)
  • Options
    nasafurenasafure Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank you.
    Parting is all we know of heaven, And all we need of hell.
  • Options
    dinohedrondinohedron Member, Moderators, Cryptic Developers Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Doh sorry about that, just an oversight on my part. Neverember's Dailies will give you Rough Astral Diamonds.

-Zeke
  • Options
    dadeathwish79dadeathwish79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    this sounds awesome and is great news cant wait for this
  • Options
    henzaihenzai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 154
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for the news, sounds great on paper, looking forward to trying this out
  • Options
    conchitobananoconchitobanano Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited August 2013
    If items from DD chests become BoP I will surely quit this game on the spot....
  • Options
    j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Rough diamonds. lol.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The AD price price reduction is nice but 10% won't make things more attractive to buy if epic mounts are cheaper outright and runes/enchantments are cheaper to buy and replace rather than to save.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow, This sounds awesome. I greatly approve. Seems a fair compromise between having to earn gear and being able to still profit from dungeons.
  • Options
    zokirzokir Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is horrible; I don't see how all these comments have been positive.
    Making items from dd chests bound? Letting people choose which set they want?
    It basically destroys the entire economic side of the game.
    zokir.png
    Hyenas@zokir - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Great changes. Now, what about fixing dungeon exploits? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    meeggtoastmeeggtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I love this new addition for casual gamers! who barely can get on DD.

I am not sure for anyone who plays this game, but due to the lack of end game content having . this surely would definitely solve the problem of endgame content.

I'm glad this appeals to the casual gamers, but what are they going to do after completing spellplague twice and obtain their needed items?
    Essentially everyone just to do 10 Dungeon Delves to obtain their item sets. Now what? farm CN? the only dungeon that people are going to grind. What is the progression after that? If t2 items are going to be extremely easily accessible, T3 items should come out... or the endgame population will contain 80% of player base and nothing better to do other than grind malabog and castle never... Ironically the Feywild trade-in token set items for some classes are extremely poorly designed for PvE, i.e. Rogues doing 5000 poison damage over 15 seconds on single target that cannot be refreshed until 15 seconds after the poison have lasted. Which asks the rogue to switch targets constantly (despite being a single target striker), or do AoE which a rogue is not. I can see how a poison 4 set bonus would be wonderful synergy with a Control Wizard or a Great Weapon Fighter, but for a single target dps like a rogue? I'd stay with my swashbuckling captain's armor instead of switching over to some Inefficient t2.5 items.

Just my 2cents.
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Wow, This sounds awesome. I greatly approve. Seems a fair compromise between having to earn gear and being able to still profit from dungeons.

There won't be an incentive for earning a profit when you can just run couple of DDs to be endgamed. The opportunity cost of purchasing gear vs doing dd for obtaining gear that you have 100% knowing what to get will be significantly changed. Since you can easily obtain the gear you wanted from dd chests, why do you need to buy equipment from other players then? The reason everything is higher priced due to the fact that there is a large demand for a limited supply of items. With DD Chest giving you very close to what you wanted(one item from a setpiece), then it eliminates demand. Combined with still a even more limited supply of items, that no one cares for because they can just do DD and obtain it.

Even if it there is tiny demand for the non dd chest items, not much money is made for profit. It essentially slows down the flow of currency within the economy and have a non-engaging market.
    Nevermore@meeggtoast 12.2 BiS TR
    Lanaya@meeggtoast 13.4 BiS GWF
    Shendelzare@meeggtoast 11.2k CN mule CW

Server: Dragon
    Stream: meeggtoast
    Guide: Meeggtoast's Destroyer Dps Guide
  • Options
    mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wont this reduce the supply of Epics on the AH?
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    zokir wrote: »
    This is horrible; I don't see how all these comments have been positive.
    Making items from dd chests bound? Letting people choose which set they want?
    It basically destroys the entire economic side of the game.

It reduced the amount of drops being put into the game which increases the demand of items on the auction house.

You can do the dungeons you want to do and have a better chance of getting the gear you want for your character during Dungeon Delves but the reduced amount of drops will increase the value of the actual boss drops so dungeons will be more rewarding outside of dungeon delves.

Why is this better and the responses positive?
    Because while it's bad for those who do DD nonstop it is better for the long term economy. The economy was and has been ruined from day one due to the massive number of drops added into the game. By reducing the number of drops going into the economy it will actually improve.
  • Options
    rraakanrraakan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All of this sounds great, and having a choice of set from the DD chest that is BoP won't ruin the economy ... anywhere else it drops, it's BoE. I do agree with the fact that this makes CN a mega farm run after everyone has their sets of choice, but I do think it is a move in the right direction.

I love the idea of salvage, and I like the idea of quests from Lord Neverember.

My biggest request would be a different grind to level. There is the one set of linear quests to get to 60. You play more than one character and you start to hate the story. Maybe Feywild will change that ...

Please keep content moving forward more than zen items, though ... I know people buying zen via cash pays your programmers, but having multiple patches offering new zen items with little in the way of major content add or bug fixes really makes players question things.

All in all, I'm very happy with the game ... and I'm looking forward to Feywild.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    rraakan wrote: »
    Please keep content moving forward more than zen items, though ... I know people buying zen via cash pays your programmers, but having multiple patches offering new zen items with little in the way of major content add or bug fixes really makes players question things.

As always I understand your frustration but creating the Zen items they have is infinitely easier, faster and less complicated than new content. That plus if you know how game development is done there's actually a lot of downtime while creating new content.

A lot of quality of life updates are done while developers are waiting for approval of their work to advance to new stages of development. These Zen items are more than likely being created in the same time periods.

Example: Spider companions. The AI already exists, animations exist and the models already exist. I would be shocked if it took more than a few hours to create those companions and a day to test their functionality.

Being upset that Zen items are being added is meaningless without considering the difficulty in creating the zen shop items. I promise you if they didn't care about creating new content they would be able to create hundreds of them a month rather than a few every three weeks.

Example two: The tiger mounts mainly use the panther model and animations. So basically (completely fictional) a graphic designer finished working on a formian model. In order for the formian model to advance to the animation stages the model has to be approved by the producers such as Andy Valasquez who are often busy people and may need a day or so before they can look at that specific model. In the mean time the graphic designer has nothing to do so he/she doodles a tiger skin and shows it to the producers and they really like it so they polish it a bit more and throw it into the shop as a cosmetic item.

The graphic designer is by no means losing time working on content. There's downtime in game development where developers take on small projects between big projects and that's where quality of life and the cool cosmetic additions come from.

At least this is how it is in most game development companies. I could be wrong about Cryptic but I would be shocked.
  • Options
    meeggtoastmeeggtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    It reduced the amount of drops being put into the game which increases the demand of items on the auction house.

You can do the dungeons you want to do and have a better chance of getting the gear you want for your character during Dungeon Delves but the reduced amount of drops will increase the value of the actual boss drops so dungeons will be more rewarding outside of dungeon delves.

Because while it's bad for those who do DD nonstop it is better for the long term economy. The economy was and has been ruined from day one due to the massive number of drops added into the game. By reducing the number of drops going into the economy it will actually improve.

Economically first sentence is invalid in logic. Reducing drops put into the game means less items in the auction house, this is limiting the supply of the epic equipment within the AH. There is no relationship to demand. An analogy to your sentence in simpler terms would be, there is a severe corn famine in the mid-west which increases the demand for corn.

But having the option of just spending 3 hours of the game to reach end game geared just by playing in dungeon delves also reduces the demand for obtaining any items from the AH.

People now have the choice of either do pvp for 10 hours and obtain their pvp t1 set, or spend 5 hours doing dungeon delves and obtaining Best in Slot Armors. This is a direct influence to the demand within the market, so will any casual player with 1 hour of playing time during Dungeon Delves purchase any goods from the AH to gear up? if they dont obtain the item they wanted during the current dd, they know for a fact they will have an very high chance of obtaining it on the next dd. Instead of turning towards the Auction House to purchase gear.

• Options
    conchitobananoconchitobanano Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited August 2013

You mean the sells of Zen will improve for Cryptic.....since people wont be able to make AD from chest drops (bosses drops are worthless unless is CN in which 8 out of 10 times it will be worthless too)And the most you can make by refining is 24k a day,the only way to make decent amounts of AD is through Zen-Ad convertion cementing only Neverwinters P2W status...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    You mean the sells of Zen will improve for Cryptic.....since people wont be able to make AD from chest drops (bosses drops are worthless unless is CN in which 8 out of 10 times it will be worthless too)And the most you can make by refining is 24k a day,the only way to make decent amounts of AD is through Zen-Ad convertion cementing only Neverwinters P2W status...

By that logic the End Game gamers like me will make more AD since we control most of the market of CN anyways. Thus we are not spending any zen, guess thats good news to me.

• Options
    zokirzokir Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited August 2013

A reduction of boss drops is never mentioned in the first post.
    Also, the majority of players use t1/t2 sets rather than drops from bosses.

This is all nice for new players. All they have to do is do a few dungeons to get the items that the existing players have worked hard/spent a lot for. But then what happens when everyone gets their desired gear sets? They can salvage purples they get from dungeons for rough AD, collecting a measly 24k each day. This will make it significantly harder for players to earn AD, making the game even more pay-to-win than it already is. Not in terms of gear, but enchantments, faster mounts, armor/weapon enchantments, wards, all the other necessities that a successful player needs will be nearly unattainable for people who do not buy zen and convert it into AD.
    zokir.png
    Hyenas@zokir - Essence of Aggression
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dinohedron wrote: »
    AD Price AdjustmentsAD Price Adjustments
    We are also lowering the AD cost of several services and items in the game! It isn't in the Preview build yet but in general we’re looking to reduce the fees for Enchantment and Runestone unslotting, Feat Respecs, Item Transmutation, Wondrous Bazaar Companions, and Wondrous Bazaar level 60 Blue Gear by around 10% on average. Check out the patch notes when it hits for more details if you’re interested.

Any chance this will include a hefty drop in the cost of mount training? I've said many times how silly it is that it costs more to upgrade a single mount to rank 3 with training, than it does to just buy an account-wide rank 3 mount in the Zen shop.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    meeggtoast wrote: »
    Economically first sentence is invalid in logic. Reducing drops put into the game means less items in the auction house, this is limiting the supply of the epic equipment within the AH.

Poor wording on my part but the result is the same, haha. :D
    Supply and demand is tied together completely. Right now there is a huge supply. By reducing the supply you will increase the price.

End result is prices will rise.

Based on your example: corn famine occurs and the supply drops. Supply drops result in increased prices.

zokir wrote: »
    A reduction of boss drops is never mentioned in the first post.
    Also, the majority of players use t1/t2 sets rather than drops from bosses.

1) The amount of boss drops will remain the same. However there will be five less drops per dungeon delve added into the economy from the lack of the Dungeon Delve Chest.

2) Boss drops are t1 and t2. The dungeon delve chests drop the same loot bosses drop except it guaranteed loot every for every single person in a Dungeon Delve Event.
    As such the game became flooded with many of the items.
    This is all nice for new players. All they have to do is do a few dungeons to get the items that the existing players have worked hard/spent a lot for. But then what happens when everyone gets their desired gear sets?
    The same thing the new players do: when you get the drops, which will be rarer, sell the drops for more astral diamonds than they currently sell for.
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    dinohedron wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I wanted to take some time and talk about some of the new changes we have going live with Fury of the Feywild. We got tons of great feedback from all of you the first time we looked at making similar changes. That feedback not only helped us refine our approach but it also pointed out some parts of the game that needed improvement as well. Your excellent feedback directly fueled our new approach!

Salvage Trader
    Hieronymous Glim is back! You can find his stall and animated hammer in the Seven Suns Coster Market. Talk to him to find out everything you need to know about Salvage. If you have any level 60 purple items you don’t need you can bring them here, right click them, and select the Salvage option to destroy them and gain Rough Astral Diamonds.

Dungeon Delve Event Chest
    We’ve changed how the special chest from the Dungeon Delves event rewards gear. Previously when the chest rewarded you with a piece of Tier gear for a particular slot it would randomly be one of three sets, each with a different stat allocation and play style focus. Now when the chest rewards you with a piece of Tier gear you will be able to pick which of the three sets you want! The chance of getting a particular slot remains unchanged so it will be much quicker (and less up to the whim of the RNG) for you to complete the specific set you are looking for!
    Because these items are meant as a special reward for you during this event anything the event chest rewards you will be bound to your character. This is a change to the way the chest grants the reward, not to the item itself. So if the item is Binds on Equip anywhere else it comes from remains Binds on Equip. Boss drops for instance are unchanged.

Most of the above changes will debut on Preview this weekend so hop on and let us know what you think over the next couple of weeks. We’re also working on more changes that will make it to Preview soon but won’t be in the weekend build.

AD Price Adjustments
    We are also lowering the AD cost of several services and items in the game! It isn’t in the Preview build yet but in general we’re looking to reduce the fees for Enchantment and Runestone unslotting, Feat Respecs, Item Transmutation, Wondrous Bazaar Companions, and Wondrous Bazaar level 60 Blue Gear by around 10% on average. Check out the patch notes when it hits for more details if you’re interested.

Neverember AD Daily
    When the AD changes go up on Preview, all new and existing level 60 characters should make sure to talk to Knox and pick up Audience with the Protector. This mission takes you to Lord Neverember himself where he thanks you for all your heroic efforts and introduces you to his advisors who explain what kind of content is available for level 60 characters. After that Neverember offers level 60 characters a daily mission worth a nice chunk of AD. Make sure you check in with him every day, he pays even better than Rhix. ;)

The updated AD prices and Neverember missions will be on Preview sometime after this weekend. Once again thanks for all the feedback!

-Zeke

Those are great updates Zeke, i agree with the BoP from DD chests.

But (and theres always a but :P ) i think the "chose set" option is a bad thing, each class have the "best" set (this can be arguable....) and at the end most will probably alway pick the best which can lead to a low demand on AH for T1/T2 items. Also if the drop rate on bosses dont increase i think we will end to have T2 gear worthing A LOT more than ancient items (castel never) which is supose to be the end game instance.... Actually i think some are already cheaper than some T2 peices....

So in my opinion, keep the salvages for BoP items people dont want for extra AD, a new daily is also great to continue get AD (now that we wont have DD items to sell in AH), Rise boss drop rate a few for BoE items, and remove the "chose set" option :)

And pls pls pls check the dungeon exploits... they are ruin everthing :)
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    It seems as though these changes will improve the game. I will see how the theory translates into practice before passing judgement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    macabrivs wrote: »
    Those are great updates Zeke, i agree with the BoP from DD chests.

But (and theres always a but :P ) i think the "chose set" option is a bad thing, each class have the "best" set (this can be arguable....) and at the end most will probably alway pick the best which can lead to a low demand on AH for T1/T2 items. Also if the drop rate on bosses dont increase i think we will end to have T2 gear worthing A LOT more than ancient items (castel never) which is supose to be the end game instance.... Actually i think some are already cheaper than some T2 peices....

So in my opinion, keep the salvages for BoP items people dont want for extra AD, a new daily is also great to continue get AD (now that we wont have DD items to sell in AH), Rise boss drop rate a few for BoE items, and remove the "chose set" option :)

And pls pls pls check the dungeon exploits... they are ruin everthing :)

And it is [arguable]. He specifically states in his post that:

"Previously when the chest rewarded you with a piece of Tier gear for a particular slot it would randomly be one of three sets, each with a different stat allocation and play style focus."

"Best" as you put it is a completely subjective term. What's best for you isn't necessarily best for me, and vice versa, because my play style may vary from yours. To say that most will probably always pick the "best" is true... but what's "best" is going to vary from person to person.