test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dungeons are unrunnable

koneko5678koneko5678 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
I am done. I will not run dungeons anymore until the final boss of every epic dungeon (excluding Kessel's Retreat) is nerfed. If the requirement for a dungeon is 2k iLevel, don't you think a party of 2.5k's should be able to run it? I just tried to run epic Grey Wolf Den with me (a 2.5k GF), a 2.4k DC, and 3 dps that were 3.5k+ (one of them was even 4k) and we failed the final boss. That boss should have been a cake walk with all that dps. And this is not the first time I have failed a dungeon with such spectacular offensive power. The dungeons as a whole are fine, but it's a waste of time to run them until you nerf the end bosses. You want to put in another tier of dungeons in the next module, yet you haven't even fixed the tiers we have. Please fix this before you start losing players.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    Those suggested numbers have never been close since I started playing.
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Its a waste of time to run t2s because they do not offer actually loot worthy of the time. Its t1 or CN.

There is no reason to nerf anything in the game, if your struggling ask some questions.

What build do you have, what is your primary stats at?

My GF can do this run , I am swordmaster, using steel defense + enforced threat most of the time (i dont do enough damage to hold aggro otherwise I would use Shield talent) , my base defense is 22k , it goes up to 28k with sudden defense + rising + some other procs, I then hit paladin sigal for 15% more dr, then ITF. I would typically run enforced threat, ITF and KV, but may drop it at times in favor of lunging strike, + fighters recovery for a heal.

Mounts, I use the deflect heal+crit heal+ gladitors guile+wanders.

I only rock azure r8s in defense, and siliveries in offense.

I do not have bonding stones typically on my GF, using a old augment with defense/recovery loyal gear + more r8s into slots.

I do not have one item to legendary on my GF.. its all epic. (even getting artifacts to epic now is a pain)

Im using two dusk + two dragonflight as armor.

This is by far more then what is needed for typical runs, Ive even pugged all the t2s, as I typically do when I start a new class, I want to make sure I can get pugs through things, because frankly if I ran with just friends list/guildies, they can carry bad tanks, so the best way for me to learn is to get into bad groups , so Im forced to do the things that are needed correctly.

Also, your dc doesnt need a ton of gear to be effective, but they sure the heck need to know what they are doing. Unless the DC told me what they are doing, I couldnt help them though.

• Options
    abrams121abrams121 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 90 Arc User
    Can you believe that there is an entire legion of players that want to nerf characters because they are too powerful? I really think that Tanks and Heals are the most important part of any dungeon team, those guys need to also know what they are doing. But then again just add bonding stones and the content becomes too easy.
  • Options
    Popular to contrary belief, we were smashing these things , with no bondings at all + arp bug.

These are doable at 2.5k i level.. even if your dps was all 2.5k i level its doable. It just takes longer..

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I have videos of all the T2s done, in a 2k ilvl team, WHEN THE ARP BUG WAS PRESENT without bonding stones and without a paladin. About a month ago for lols we did the same thing, 2k ilvl team of alts, most of us without weapon or armor enchants (because we didn't happen to have any on those alts at the time) and no other fancy stuff. It is possible to do the T2s at the minimum required ilvl. However, remember that just because it is MINIMUM does not mean it is the RECOMMENDED ilvl requirement. My suggestions are as follows:

1) If you are new to the game, refer to the class forums section and find a guide for the class you are playing. For some classes, there are only a very limited number of things that work and if you not doing those things, you essentially useless.

2) If you run with random players, stop doing that. Join either a guild, or the legit channel and run with players there.

3) Try to get gear that is good, rather than gear that has a high ilvl. What I mean by this, is say you playing a CW and 1 piece of gear has 145 ilvl and has power/crit/arp and another piece of gear has 150 ilvl and has power/recovery/arp, then the first piece of gear has better stats, even though it has lower ilvl. Make sure your character has 60% resistance ignored if they are a dps.

4) Don't be afraid to ask questions. Rather than asking for nerfs, try to learn what you did wrong. There is a significant difference between a 2.5k player and a 2.5k player who knows what they doing. In this game, knowledge means the difference between everything being trivially easy and your character doing less damage than a blink dog companion, so try to learn everything you can.

That should cover everything.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Welcome to the 2-class-society of NWO.
    Strongholds spends up to 8k defense or power to a player. That´s about 11 rank 12 enchants.
    So join a guild, get the right build, no clue what GF you run-protector tree is much easier get tanky at low IL.
    Buff your defense and get a DC and 3 DPS, that knows what to do and how to buff. I am pretty sure with poor dps that boss is not that funny, but in case none of you buffs each other you will have poor outcome.
    What you experience may be the effect of 5 player running a build wich doesn´t (ab)use the option some classes have in this game.
    You can run a CW with poor benefit for a party and one wich triples damage
    You can run a buffer DC or can perform very HAMSTER in a dungeon, in case you don´t know you class.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    The op might be a little emotional, but the point he makes is very much correct.

I wouldn't say though that the dungeons are too hard, but the game is atrocious in telling players what they need to contribute appropriately. All due respect to Sharp and others, but that highly experienced players can run stuff in 2k groups and very specific setups and comps doesn't "prove" anything.

The common player in 2k gear still runs into content that's not suited for him.​​
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    guild boons are not needed..

we didnt have guild boons when mod 6 dropped and we were doing the t2s, they are vastly easier now then then.

With the twisted + guild boons + bondings + synergy buffs+ mounts + whatever else since then + removal of arp bug + nerf to mobs.. = rolf stomp.

However, I would say getting guild boons isnt a bad thing, ever if a guild only has 50% of the sh done, having 4k defense = better then zero extra defense.

The last time I asked for a nerf in this game was during arp bug, then then cryptic as usual fluffed that up, and also reduced the mobs (doh) no one asked them to do that.. of course. But for some reason they did it.

Please do not attempt to dodge the profanity filter.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • Options
    loboguild said:

The op might be a little emotional, but the point he makes is very much correct.

I wouldn't say though that the dungeons are too hard, but the game is atrocious in telling players what they need to contribute appropriately. All due respect to Sharp and others, but that highly experienced players can run stuff in 2k groups and very specific setups and comps doesn't "prove" anything.

The common player in 2k gear still runs into content that's not suited for him.​​

@loboguild that was why I specified that 2k is the minimum, not the recommended ilvl. The point is, you can technically beat it in a 2k group, as per the ilvl requirement and if you are in a group at the absolute minimum required, you should expect for it to be difficult and require you to know what you doing.
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    What it boils down to is simple: you HAVE to make your character EXACTLY like everyone else, otherwise you won't be as efficient or "good". Pretty much every class has only one truly viable path to take, when in proper D&D, it doesn't matter what path you choose because things have a way of balancing out.

header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Every mmo has typical meta optimization.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    loboguild said:

But he specificly mentioned players with a higher IL. Yes, the game is atrocious when it comes to informing people about skills - even tooltips can be very misleading - but I'm not convinced that the issue here.

If the requirement for a dungeon is 2k iLevel, don't you think a party of 2.5k's should be able to run it? I just tried to run epic Grey Wolf Den with me (a 2.5k GF), a 2.4k DC, and 3 dps that were 3.5k+ (one of them was even 4k) and we failed the final boss.

A party of 2.5k IL can run them. You can run them at 2k, and succeed. Doesn't necessarily mean any party can run it, though.

Item Level is a very misleading thing. It doesn't tell you anything about someones build or even if they made the correct choices when picking enchants and boons. 'Correct' in this case meaning supportive of their build. For instance, stacking Silveries in offense is a perfectly valid choice for a Master of Flame Renegade trying to fire off as much dailies as possible, for their Combustive Action debuff, but makes little sense when it comes to a Hunter Ranger Trapper.

I've been an advocate for more challenging content - albeit less frequent now, as the forum has been pretty quiet - so before I can comment anything constructive, I'll have to know more about your build and the kind of issues you ran into with the boss. What made you fail? Was it the red zones? The adds spawning in during the different phases? Did people not kill off the Stormcallers quick enough?

Asking these questions is the path to improving your gameplay and experience. It opens up an avenue for people to give you solid advice, and wards off the trolls who can only post 'l2p'. Throwing in the towel, however, is pretty weak. A great number of people blast through these dungeons daily, and a good amount of us certainly don't want to see the bar lowered anymore.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • Options
    jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User

What it boils down to is simple: you HAVE to make your character EXACTLY like everyone else, otherwise you won't be as efficient or "good". Pretty much every class has only one truly viable path to take, when in proper D&D, it doesn't matter what path you choose because things have a way of balancing out.

I'd have to disagree with you there. While you certainly see a 'build of the month'-thing going on, I'd say Power Creep has progressed in such a way that multiple builds are perfectly valid.

We're seeing far more offensively minded Guardian Fighters. We've got Control Wizards that specialize in doing damage or running around with a MoF/Rene build to provide as much support as possible. Every tree of the Devoted Cleric class is still being represented. There's a mass of healer and tanking Paladins.

Sadly, yes, some classes suffer from the 'one true path': Hunter Ranger and Great Weapon Fighter being the prime example. But I certainly wouldn't go as far as saying every class is being built the same way.

And in a way, Power Creep is also to blame for bad gameplay. Being able to brute-force your way through everything doesn't punish bad play. As long as you just stack enough offensive or defensive power, it doesn't really matter how poor your skill, feat or boon choices were.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I can solo Kessel with my TR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    @silverkelt. I don't doubt that there were some people doing the T2 dungeons legit when mod 6 came out. But I do remember the guild WOLWB made a big deal out of beating EGWD and based on the comments in their thread it was not a common feat. Of course they had 5 near BIS characters and their tank was a pally. If I remember correctly they were the first to complete it in a legit fashion.

Really, I enjoy a challenge but if you need to put that much time into party composition and need to rely on 4 other people to do their job flawlessly in order to win, it will kill the casual gamers and the people that can only play for a few hours at a time. Especially if the reward for doing so is a .0002% chance at an artifact and you need to run the same dungeon hundreds of times. I am a big fan of having multiple difficulty levels and reward levels, but given the current reward levels and need to run dungeons hundreds of times, I say why bother? Maybe they will make some improvements in Mod 10 but I am not going to hold my breath.
  • Options
    All of you experienced players talking about how easy the dungeons are, you fail to consider what it's like for those of us who aren't pro. You shouldn't have to be pro to get equipment, so long as you have a basic understanding of game mechanics. I understand what you're saying about certain states being better than others, and as a tank I have no problem holding aggro, but the bosses in t2 dungeons can kill me in 3 hits, 5 with my shield up. That's with my build being more defense than anything. Heals from my equipment or from a healer make me last longer but even then there is a limit. Against the boss in gwd I can last for 15-20 minutes before I fall and the DPS you need to kill him in that time is easy to much.

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, people complain about it in game all the time, but most don't bother to bring their issues to forums. If you're a pro, and only run with pros from top ranked guilds, then you can't understand the struggle the rest of us are going through. What you're saying is the content should only be doable for the top 20-40% of players.
  • Options
    As for the comment about t2 dungeons not having good rewards, consider that we need them for dungeoneering shards for our guilds
  • Options
    The gear and skill gap is huge in this game. Also the gap between what players are capable of and the current hardest content is even bigger.
  • Options
    You dont need that particular shard per se, shards will never be your bottleneck.

I started like anyone else, 2 toons , both in blue gear.. digging out AD anyway I could.

It just takes time, not at all trying to deride you, I know full well the struggles of new players, especially when you dont have the knowledge.

I have constantly and will fight for both the reduction of costing on progression materials and the reduction of the power curve (too much at the highest end).

There is no reason for both of these things to be gated in the manner they are.

Some of my early posts from 3 years ago LOOKED just like yours.

But this wasnt my first mmo, I dug my heals in , looked up guides like Kaelecs old one at laggygamerz and started progressing, one rank enchant at a time.

There are many good places to read up on the game, with the correct information, look at thefabricants signature, its a good place to start. I have run literally thousands of dungeons with him.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fFvdO1UDmyL7VWO9WhAiFTBEV6AFVN4I-bGR7WnewMY/pub

Twofatmushroom guide for the GF is excellent. I dont use that particular build for myself, but its a good one and I have run with him myself on multiple locations. (plus he is now in the same alliance I am!)

• Options
    null
    I'm not just random newbie, I know how to play and I understand how my skills and stats work. I've seen a few guides and they don't tell me anything I don't already know. The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't have to run the dungeon perfectly to succeed. I don't even run pubs, I run with my alliance, and we fail half our runs
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

Its a waste of time to run t2s because they do not offer actually loot worthy of the time. Its t1 or CN.

Unless you're in a guild and need Dungeoneer's Shards to advance. Once you hit 70 you have to run T2 for the Shards.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

null

I'm not just random newbie, I know how to play and I understand how my skills and stats work. I've seen a few guides and they don't tell me anything I don't already know. The point I am trying to make is that we shouldn't have to run the dungeon perfectly to succeed. I don't even run pubs, I run with my alliance, and we fail half our runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLnM-7hN9-8&feature=youtu.be

Rather old, but still just as valid.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Once you hit 70 you have to run T2 for the Shards.

Well... no. I guess you "have to" if you think the ones you can get from T1s and skirmishes just aren't good enough, but don't imply that there are no sources of dungeon shards other than T2 dungeons, because that's false. If you're not earning every possible thing on every possible day... the world ain't gonna end over it.

I really can't comment on what the OP's problem is. I will probably never understand the massive perceptual gap between too-easy and too-hard, even though I try.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

Well... no. I guess you "have to" if you think the ones you can get from T1s and skirmishes just aren't good enough, but don't imply that there are no sources of dungeon shards other than T2 dungeons, because that's false. If you're not earning every possible thing on every possible day... the world ain't gonna end over it.

I really can't comment on what the OP's problem is. I will probably never understand the massive perceptual gap between too-easy and too-hard, even though I try.

Only characters I have that can collect Shards on the t1 dungeons are below 70. The Cleric doesn't offer t1 to 70's. PoM, Throne and the various t2 are what he offers to my 70's.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    greywynd said:

Only characters I have that can collect Shards on the t1 dungeons are below 70. The Cleric doesn't offer t1 to 70's. PoM, Throne and the various t2 are what he offers to my 70's.
    T1 dungeons are Malabog, Valindra, Lostmauth. You cannot run these if you're not level 70.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

That boss should have been a cake walk with all that dps. And this is not the first time I have failed a dungeon with such spectacular offensive power.

I think this neatly exemplifies problem. The game has a bad habit of allowing powerful parties to bulldoze their way through content, and I think in eGWD you've hit on one of the less frequent skill-based mechanics in this game that you can't muscle over.

As a DC, I've seen high-DPS groups struggle in eGWD when they accidentally and repeatedly kill the Marrowsbane "red wolf" too far from the boss to drop his invincibility. All it takes is a carelessly placed AoE or unlucky splash, and your well buffed party is stuck dancing with invinci-warewolf for another song. Eventually someone misses a step. The number of times I've finished eGWD with just me (DC) + 1 DPS left standing is too funny.

That said, I think your post elicited a lot of responses because it touches on a very sensitive topic with a lot of the seasoned PvE crowd. This content is both overwhelming / difficult to learn for new folks while seasoned players feel it's been trivialized into a fine powder with few challenges to be found in the end-game.

For what it's worth, I'm squarely in the "PvE is too easy" camp, but I think the answer would be to create more diverse content (with more diverse difficulty) instead of recycling things for the 3rd time over. I also agree with the need to incentivize dungeon delving for experienced players, but at this point I feel like I'm asking too much.
  • Options
    @dupeks what was that about the red wolf? That seems to be something that nobody I was running with seemed to know about because I thought the red wolf was just another add.

For the record, this is the difference between knowing your class and being pro. Knowing your class just means you know how to fight, being pro means you know how all the bosses fight.