What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't log in (Timeout)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    yeah same issues here too since days. Sitting in germany and my ISP is Alice. Already cancelled my subscription too, not cuz i am in nerdrage. Its out of the simple fact, that i dont pay for a service i cant use.

Sitting at work ATM, T-systems. This guys dont seem to have any issues. Forum and STO main page loads fast here.

Good thing, have 2 buddies 1 works for Alice the other for O2.
    I informed both of em about the issues, they didnt really hear anything about it but they will forward it to the right ppl. Maybe it helps.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I am having the same problem here in Japan. I am also lagging and rubberbanding all over the place (more than normal). I am timing out every 5 or so minutes or less making the game unplayable. If I load into a new area I most likely timeout/crash. It doesn't matter what else I do, I will timeout or crash.
    This only started since around the time the foundry went live. I have tried making sure that the antivirus isn't interfering and judging by the responses I am not alone.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Small update, I'm getting same performance as last night, so doesn't look to be fixed at this stage,

I'm going through the pingplot I've done tonight and response times are fine, 125ms average, but packet loss varies between 20% - 75%+ between hops, essentially destroying my packets as they arrive to your network, as they'll need to be resent X amount of times to compensate for the "packet loss", hence slow page load times.

Anyhoo, I digress, because the response times are ok, I'm guessing more that it's a massively over-saturated link suggesting the truncation of cogent's link is working, but too slowly/harshly. A bit like trying to fit smokey and the bandit's entourage down to a single track road from that famous desert scene (there's only so many lanes that can be filled up at a time), can't be done unless there is a delay for the last person :)

The only advice I can offer at this stage to people affected by this, for browsing the forums (and trying to load the launcher) constantly hit "F5" as it's only some sessions that are failing (this is in part due to the truncation of the link and how they work), basically if your one of the lucky few to have a session work it'll stay for the duration of the transit of packets (data)

hope this helps :)

*quick edit - the game is absolutely fine when using the european proxy, it's only the loader and the forums with an issue that I am seeing, incase it hasn't been pointed out already
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Since about 3 days ago..ive noticed STO has been playing up on me abit..
    But today it just got heaps worst..
    Everytime i log on..and try to start any mission it just laggs out bad.
    keeps saying Server not responding and kicks me back to the login screen.

Is this happening to anyone else as well?? Im from Australia BTW.
    i think this all started when i downloaded the latest patch last week...yet i didnt have time to play STO much last week..just these last 3 days ive gotten a chance too..but i cant play cause of the dis-connecting issue now :(
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Since "Foundry" i have problems with the homepage, launcher, forum, the loginprocedure AND
    with mapchange.

I have change from "no-proxy" to "us-proxy", to "us-proxy", and the DNS
    nothings helps !!
    The Lauchner hat 2 or 3 timeouts and the login takes severeal minutes.

And the worst:
    from the "Support" nothing to hear ....

I cant read anywhere this problems is solved or not, and without paying i cant try its solved or not ^^

so in 1-2 year we will us see again ^^ !?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well for me it got a bit better yesterday. Actually i could login to the game and the update was running too, cuz i had to reinstall STO. After 1hr of playing the issues came back, disconnects at map change and after that i couldnt even login anymore. So back to the start. that was around 9:30 PM UTC+2
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've the same problems but i think it starts i litllebit before the foundry gets online.
    And the last patch seems to be a fake nothing has been realy fixed.
    I am the same opinion as some others that I 'm not willing to pay for a not playable game.
    It looks like that the producer program more bugs into the game then they can fix.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ok after 10 days with no change i´ve have my account chancelled i don´tpay fpor something i dont can usse , i will be keep watching this forum i´ve the problem a solved and i´ve it solved i will be back .)) then game its great :))
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    People, please stop with the "I quit"-posts. I don't know if the rules have changed on this, but these kinds of posts used to be disallowed. There are people here still interested in solving this issue and we don't want the thread locked because of these posts. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    tbh, there is sooo little they can do, except literally ride the storm,

As I said above tho, keep hitting f5 and use the "EU" proxy (via the loader - "options" > "Proxy") as it doesn't appear to route over the affected link(s). This is the best/easiest solution I can suggest, as it works for me currently

I'd be interested to see how people get on with this :)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Its not regional because it is everywhere. At 6:00pm my time, its useless, no way. And at 8:00pm no problem... ever. They better get the server problem solved soon, because I am loosing interest. I am playing other games again when I can't play this one.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ten days and nothing gets better. It took me half an hour and at least 50 tries to launch the client today. Absolutely no, really no single problem with other sites, game clients or forums. Only Cryptic sites and clients. Played LotrO today instead of participating in an organized fleet run. Guess they can forget me for weeks now -.-
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Today i managed to log into the game after a while..took heaps longer to load up compared to b4...
    anyways i was happy that it got in..i thought to my self i might get a chance to play alittle and bam same thing started to happen again 'Server Not Responding' and i get kicked back to the login menu.

Has Cryptic actually said if they have found what the problem is so far???
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well.. alot of ppl say its an issue with congent but slowly i rly start to think that cant be. ISPs or server owners in general, monitor the activity of their machines and the traffic. Specially if they rely on that hardware cuz thats what they make money with. So if it would be an issue at congent side, then they already would have notice and fix it. I guess there are more issues than just that, as already a few ppl pointed out. The issue really came up after the foundry release. Might be coincidence.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dyce is absolutely right. We cannot do anything really. We have to sit it out and our current best hope is that Cryptic builds up enough pressure on Cognet so that they will stop working that sloppy and get the issue fixed.
    The problem is that this is the carrier surrounding which we are talking of here. Thats nothing like "hey we have too many users here, lets throw in another server and things should be fine."
    Things on this level take their time and all we need is just a little patience (good old GnR Tune by the way).

I would suspect that the problem with Cognet lies on the point where they hand over the traffic to the next networking segment enroute to Cryptics ressources and not when we enter their net since only Cryptics ressources are not working well, but this is only educated guessing.

I highly doubt that the foundry update is responsible. The launcher is more a less a browserclient and it requests a webpage. At this point there are no game mechanics involved. Additionally when you finally have the launcher working properly and the EU proxy activated things run smoothly from there on (at least in my case).
    So its not the foundry update, its just a routing issue with a drowning carrier in between who hasn´t got enough capacity to satisfy the customer requests.

EDIT: Just wondering. Has anyone treid tracing the login via Wireshark? Did it yield some information useable like ICMP Status messages (which I doubt but one can hope)?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dyce9984 wrote: »
    tbh, there is sooo little they can do, except literally ride the storm,

As I said above tho, keep hitting f5 and use the "EU" proxy (via the loader - "options" > "Proxy") as it doesn't appear to route over the affected link(s). This is the best/easiest solution I can suggest, as it works for me currently

I'd be interested to see how people get on with this :)

Last try in-game over EU-Proxy:
    Was ok - I was able to finish a Patrol mission (many map changes) without being kicked out.

Problem still remains - getting in-game!
    Last 10 tries:
    3 times completely impossible - gave it up after trying to start the launcher for more than 30 minutes (countless tries).
    2 times "quite ok" - took me "only" around 10 minutes to get the launcher started.
    5 times "standard" - takes between 15 and 20 minutes, many tries, re-tries, refreshes and a lot of patience to get the launcher started!

So it seems, with EU-Proxy selected, that it is possible to actually play the game.
    Once you are able to get the launcher started, of course - which is a real pain in the TRIBBLE...

@Wishstone:
    Still no update from Cogent?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    One thing that came to my mind which could be an idea how cryptic could ease the pain for us.

I think it is relatively clear that once we have the launcher running and the EU proxy selected, logging in and playing isn´t a that big problem anymore.
    I think it would be worth for cryptics techcrew to think up a way to put the launcher requested webpage and needed ressources for status validation on the EU and US proxies, so that pages are fetched from there instead their original location. That would ship us around the cognet routers effectively solving the problem.
    Since I don´t have intimate insight in the backend systems needed for authentication process I don´t know wheter this is a feasable solution and how it would take to implement it ... or if it is even possible.
    But I would like to kick the ball into Cryptics field so that they maybe could think about it and making us very happy ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just so that you all have piece of mind, I have seen an incident report of a "corrupted routing table" on the cogent network at the London co-lo, this happened on April 5th at 8:15 and lasted for approximately 24 hours, this affected not just cryptic as I've mentioned previously, but steam, blizzard, and numerous other sites/games and countries routing via this way.

Different ISP's buy backhaul routes from different companies, this one happens to have a problem that's all, which I think is either re-occurring as it was reported as fixed, or is on-going :-)

As mentioned, keep trying the launcher, then use the EU proxy and it should be fine,

I'm 150% sure Cryptic are exerting as much pressure as they can be :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hi everyone,
    after being at my girlfriends' last weekend, I tried playing at home today. Even though I also have "Alice" here,
    everything works fine. Might have to do with the fact that my line was not set up by "Alice" themselves. Until one or two years ago they were not able to provide their service directly, so we had a "Telekom"-line, "Alice" refunded us for. Unfortunately my router seems to block tracerouts (even the first hop to it gets me a timeout although everything else works fine), so I cannot tell you the route my packages take.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well it also might be the case that they fixed it, i will give it a try when i got home from work.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm also at "alice" but i think that isn't the problem. The idea of the proxy might be interesting.
    I 'll try it because i can say until now nothing is fixed. :(
    Don't give up hope.

Sucess
    Proxy works
    I can't say why but with the proxy on EU, i've no probs with the connection at the moment.
    That is not the best Solution but it works. :)
    Don't worry be happy.
    Resistance is futile. We will adapt! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I hadn't had time to play STO since the Foundry went live, so when I tried to log in and kept being confronted by validation errors and timeouts, I headed to the forums...and found them cripplingly slow and riddled with timeouts too.

In my peeved state, I was now all fired up to post a "Grrr! Pull your finger out, Cryptic!" post - and then I took a deep breath and decided to weather the slow forum load and actually READ all 21 pages of this thread first.

It took some time (actually a LOT of time), but I'm glad I did.

Byt the time I reached the end of the thread I had become of aware of the Cogent issue, and also the forum proxy workaround posted by cghmedia (post #156 - it's only thanks to that workaround that I can post this reply at all - thanks!), and finally I learned of the alternate DNS config posted by Thorley (post #169) which I followed and as a result did finally manage to get into the game and complete a mission or two without hassle.

As I understand it the Cogent problem is still not fixed (and might well remain an issue for some tiem yet) but after reading through this thread, at least I can now browse the forums and get into the game (with delays, but better than no access at all!).

Moral of the story is, reading an entire long thread might seem like a lot of hassle and take time to do, but if it saves you the time you'd otherwise be spending in fruitless login attempts (and the attendant frustration therein) then it's definitely time well spent!

I'm an STO lifer, so admittedly I'm not journeying to this thread at Warp Factor POed from the "Ragequit Sector", but nevertheless if it's worth anything, I'd still say to ongoing subs payers: it's not fair to blame Cryptic and reach for the big red Quit button over this issue, because this one really IS beyond their control! I can understand folk wanting to ditch their sub until the issue is resolved, but if you do choose to follow that path, please remember that Cryptic aren't the villains of this piece, so do come back again.

In fact, given how emotive this issue is, it might be an idea (if it's workable) for Cryptic themselves to send out a blanket email to subscribers once it's certain the Cogent issue has been sorted. That way subscribers on leave would know the moment they could re-up and play successfully.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, if people chose to leave it is most unfortunate. We are doing what little we can to help.

Indeed, we have done what we can here. We contacted Cogent; we tried to reach out elsewhere. But we cannot fix the problem for you guys. :( This is something that's bejond what we are able to influence directly.

I would like to highlight the users in this thread that managed to help; your feedback and scouting for more info was fantastic.
    Also: A thanks to the users who tried logging in with another ISP. Your reports helped us narrow down from where the problem came.

We've forwarded what we can for a few days now. I do hope the issues will be resolved soon.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hmmm. I may be lost, but I can't stay logged in and have NO internet conectivity issues. I no nothing abaout a Cognet, but I find it iroinc that this game has been VERY stable until foundry release....
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    Well, if people chose to leave it is most unfortunate. We are doing what little we can to help.

Indeed, we have done what we can here. We contacted Cogent; we tried to reach out elsewhere. But we cannot fix the problem for you guys. :( This is something that's bejond what we are able to influence directly.

I would like to highlight the users in this thread that managed to help; your feedback and scouting for more info was fantastic.
    Also: A thanks to the users who tried logging in with another ISP. Your reports helped us narrow down from where the problem came.

We've forwarded what we can for a few days now. I do hope the issues will be resolved soon.

Sure, you cannot solve the problem - but Cogent can!
    And if I were you, I would be quite angry at the moment. You WILL be loosing customers, which is perfectly understandable given the situation.
    And you will be loosing them due to the issues caused by Cogent - and yet, there is still no info from their side as to how long it will take them to solve the problem...

I have paid until August, so quitting is no option for me at the moment.
    But to be honest - if I had a regular monthly subscription, I would already have cancelled it.
    This is not blaming you or going into Nerdrage - it is a understandable reaction to the problem.

So, once again - you WILL be loosing customers (money) because Cogent isn't fixing this issue.
    In the end, it is your interest to give them the necessary pressure!

And my question still remains the same:
    Did you get any update from Cogent?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hmmm. I may be lost, but I can't stay logged in and have NO internet conectivity issues. I no nothing abaout a Cognet, but I find it iroinc that this game has been VERY stable until foundry release....

Believe me this has nothing ... absolutely nothing ... to do with the foundry update.
    You don´t have a direct connection to the cryptic servers (as has almost nobody ... and that worldwide). From your machine you connect to your ISP (Alice I guess just like me) and from there your traffic is handed over through several carrier networks until it reaches the Cryptic Servers. One of these carriers in between is Cognet who is causing the problem since it is on our standardroute on the way to Cryptic.
    Conspiracy theories help noone and yes things like these can happen.

EDIT:
    @SOKOL
    It is sad but true that people will simply run from the issue and stop playing. But if someone would have to make a move it would be Alice as our ISP but we are massbusiness and who cares if we are unhappy since we do not drop bucketloads of money on their doorsteps. Cryptic is not responsible for the carrierchoices of Alice.
    So everything Cryptic does here is purely out of free will, and one has to underline that this is a far better move then others have been in the past.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Technically it could be argued that Cryptic designed contingency plans by having static proxies in America and EU to literally bypass a route (in this case Cogent that some ISP's use), I for one applaud Cryptic's forward thinking in this department, and strongly advise people to either read my earlier posts or try the EU proxy when successfully loading the launcher (as that is just a webpage in it's own right)

So let's all calm down please, as anger won't help anyone or anything, the issue has already been found, and as I've said numerous times before, this is affecting numerous countries trying to route to American Internet locations over cogent via London,

I can assure you these are not easy issues to fix, to put it in perspective, when a fibre feeding Africa got severed last year, it took nearly two weeks to fix, or there was the case the other week of a Georgian old lady hunting for copper and taking nearly all of Armenia (90% infact, 3.2million people, including large swathes of Azerbaijan) down for a day as she severed a core fibre,

So, please be kind to Cryptic, they are doing what they can :)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The problem which users make angry is, that this is the highest point of many Problems they have accepted in the past. So i understand them to leave until they are fixed and they only want you to know that.
    The other thing is that they can cool a little bit down when they post in the forums.
    I agree with you all that ist not the problem of Cryptic alone and they do many to fix it.
    We will hope that they can fix many probs as soon as possible.

Resistance is futile, we will adapt ! :D
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well it seems to run a bit better now, have no issues with login anymore but still get kicked at every map change.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, small update, the routers I was noticing having problems before, currently appear to now not be suffering any packetloss or ridiculous ping times. I'm not going to be brave enough to say it's fixed as yet, as I need to test properly when I get home, but it is looking better currently,

So let's keep our fingers crossed eh? :)
This discussion has been closed.