test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't log in (Timeout)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hello.

1) When i start my STO Launcher i get the "Cryptic Launcher Autoupdate" window for a long time. After that the launcher stays white for a while but sometimes i get a very "broken" launcher (graphics are missing f.ex.)

2) I CAN NOT LOG IN into STO. I always get a connection timeout while connecting to the account server. (I also tried to start without the launcher directly with the gameclient.exe)

3) Yesterday i was logged in one time, but the game was... "laggy" isn't the right word... i would call it unplayable.

So, is something going on atm. ?

thx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I have exactly the same problem. I thought this would be only temporarily for one evening, but today I experience the same again.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Same here.
    Almost impossible to log-in.
    In-game, the connection to the server gets lost after 1-2 minutes or when changing a map...
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Same here since yesterday.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Do you also have problems if you browse here in the forums or go the startrekonline.com mainpage? The forum frequently won't buildup in my browsing window and it says then that the connection has been lost.

Is there more broken than I know?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've been having the same issues, my games completely unplayable. I've upgraded my internet package thinking it was a bandwidth issue, I've reinstalled the game thinking it was a patch error, then I reformatted both my computers, clean installs re-downloaded the game and installed and patched again and still the same issue, its not me or my machines.

It happened to me since the foundry was released.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have the same problem with the game and forum.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Since yesterday i have problems with the homepage, launcher, forum, the loginprocedure and with mapchange.

I have changed from "no-proxy" to "eu-proxy", now i have problems with homepage, launcher, forum and login, but no problems ingame and with mapchange. The Lauchner hat 2 or 3 timeouts and the login takes severeal minutes, but after this "ingame" there are no problems.

Would be nice to hear something from the "Support".......

I know there are many people with this problem!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Count me in. The forum times out like three times before i´m able to see a thread if at all. The launcher either doesn´t work at all or i can´t get past the character screen. This has been the case at least for 12 hours now.
    I´m in europe if that has anything to do with it. :(
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm having these issues, too. I wonder whether it's a regional thing, that's been happening since the release of the Foundry? I'm in the EU, if that helps.

We need an update on this - it's becoming very tedious pressing F5 a few times just to read the average forum thread.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Why is there still no info whatsoever regarding the heavy issues which many of us are having since SEVERAL DAYS ??!?

For many players the game is currently unplayable - check the threads below.
    Almost not possible to log-in. If logged-in, instant disconnection, etc, etc...

Nothing about it in the new patch notes. No other official info about it.

What's happening here?
    I'm playing STO since a few months now - mostly without any issues, so I didn't have any experience about how Cryptic is handling problems.
    Now that I see it, I'm a little shocked.
    I mean come on guys - the game is literally UNPLAYABLE for a large number of your customers.
    And that for several days now!

Don't you think you should give us at least some info?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Same problem here since yesterday. Launcher stops at connectiong to patch server if I even get that far. Even with EU proxy it takes about 5 minutes to get to the Engage button and start the game. Ingame works works with EU proxy but not well. Also the STO website/forum takes forever to load.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have the same Problem
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have the same issue.

Whatever the issue is its affecting both Cryptic games - Star Trek Online and Champions Online.

Like several of the people who posted in this thread I live in Europe (in the UK)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For the protocol, I live also in the EU (Germany).

I've done some Pathping testing and it appears that not only Star Trek Online/Champions Online are affected, more generally anything Atari.com related is having this issue. I'll attach screenshots of my pathping results.

Click the following links to view the pictures:
    1. Pathping to forums.startrekonline.com
    2. Pathping to atari.com
    3. Pathping to forums.filefront.com (to compare results with another forum)

As you can see here in my case gets every packet blocked by hop 11 at the server with the IP 38.111.40.114. This one appears both on forums.startrekonline.com and atari.com. My comparision with filefront forums doesn't show up one hop that blocks obviously every incoming packet of me.

To Cryptic: Please inform your colleagues at Atari.com that they shall investigate this matter as well. I have the strong suspicion that our problem orginate from them and not Cryptic Studios.

p.s.: it's a miracle that I can even post here.:)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Seems like i purchased the game at the perfect time. Cannot really say im to pleased by the non-existant info policy regarding the "downtime" here at whatever level it is.

In another thread someone did a pathing test and apprently it stops somewhere
    at ataris place before being able to reach sto.

Indeed multiple poeple from diffrent countries seem to be effected by it.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=210285&page=2
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Still the same.
    No change after today's maintenance and patch - and still no official info whatsoever...

Great job!

I'm gonna watch this for a few more days and then I'll be out of STO!
    I'm really getting too old to waste my time and money on companies like those...
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    (GER) I have the same problem aswell. Pathfinding for sto and atari stops at IP 38.111.40.114.
    The launcher does not let me login. Am here since yesterday and navigating the forums
    is a pain aswell as no response since days lets me wonder what is goin on here at
    cryptic and atari.

Offtopic: Ok now atari tried to charge me a 4 dollar (!) "extended download service fee".

So i guess with those guys everythings possible.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Customer support is a useless joke. I had a similar problem and all they did was insist it was a firewall issue. Turns out it was a problem with Windows 7. Try this:

Run a systems check to correct any corrupted Windows files by

pressing [windows button] + 7
    type "sfc /scannow"
    [enter]

It appears this diagnostic and correction fixed my compatibility problem, hopefully it will fix yours.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I also recommend you do what I did and go to www.crypticstudios.com and complain to their marketting department about how their customer support is so terrible it is costing them players. If enough of us complain,maybe they will hire some competant customer support.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I have been having this issue for days as well, the launcher only loads up some of the time, then when I can get in to the character selection screen the server times out and I have to log in again, which then takes several attempts and on the odd occasion I can get into the game the second I try to get somewhere (either a mission or simply going to ESD) it loses its connection to the server and im back at the start!
    I like this game and usually when theres an issue theres at least an announcement but this has been going on for days and nothing!
    I am also finding the STO website unreliable, it took 3 refreshes for this to connect to the forums and its definatly not my computer or net connection or browser cause everything else (games, websites, downloads) is working perfectly.
    Has anyone got any idea whether this is being looked into or is it being roundly ignored?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    After submitting a support ticket with a detailed description of the issue and pointing them to this thread I got this reply:
    CUSTOMER SERVICE RESPONSES:
    Greetings, If you're running GameClient.exe in your Live folder (e.g., "C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live" or "C:/User/Games", or wherever you may have installed the game), try running the respective game launcher (e.g., Star Trek Online.exe) from your "C:/Program Files/Cryptic Studios" folder instead. Thank you, Atari Support

I was a little taken aback by this response. How did they feel the location of my files on my machine was going to affect packet routing across the internet? Anyway just to make them happy (and out of curiosity) I did what they said and copied my install folders for CO and STO into C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios/, and tried both CO and STO - and got the same predictable results. I have therefore informed them that it didn't fix my problem (although its a quick way to waste 24Gb of disk space).
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In our community we got the same problems but only partially. Some have problems some not.

To speak for me I've problems with browsing the official site and also terrible long waiting times with the forums. Getting into the game is a game of chance. I've to wait for the launcher and if I can get in I'll get disconnected at he innitial loading screen. Even if I can get into the game, there aren't two map changes without a disconnect.

We traced it down to some router dns something in Atlanta, there is the sticking point for us.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm having the same issue! I'm sitting in GER and tried to "tracert" the connection. Here are my results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Users\phildie>tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com

Routenverfolgung zu patchserver.crypticstudios.com [208.95.185.41]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Since Tuesday, I can not login, but if it works sometimesI will be kicked from the server.

Whtas going on and what can i do to solve the problem?

Here is a Picture http://img535.imageshack.us/i/unbenanntvm.png/
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sorry to come over rude, but I have to.

This is seriously taking the P*** now.

Havn't been able to log in at all for 3 days straight and these sodding forums take forever to load.

20 bloody minutes it took for this reply page to open.

Cryptic, you better bloody do something soon because this has gotten beyond anoying now..

And why no recognition that there are peoople having problems?

If you ignore it it's not going to fix itself and go away.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It would be nice to at least see some acknowledgement that a large number of people cannot log in, they are aware of the issue and working on it.

I'm sure they're not twiddling their thumbs and ignoring it - but I'm stunned noone has thought to communicate with the customers.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I've the same problem and have seen others reporting about this too. There seems to be some server trouble. It says server is online in the login screen but when I've started the game and try to log in with my character the game can't coonect to the server.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Moving you guys to tech forums so perhaps people can help you.
    From where are you playing? When do you try to connect to the server? What steps have you taken so far to try and work around this problem?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm from Germany and have seen other users from Europe (UK/Germany) reporting about this login problem as well. Might be some Eurpean related problem.

BTW: The forum is also very slow for me. It needs endless time to load the forum pages.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Have you traced to any of the services yet or tried to use the EU Proxy? I know we have users insisting that breaks stuff, but have you tried to start the game using the EU Proxy option at all yet?
This discussion has been closed.