Install Arc
Options

Na'vi as a Playable Race

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    The_Dogman wrote:
    Phantom Menace wasn't great. But it was definitely better than Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith was a terribly written mess that tried to backtrack over the first two prequels.
    Whut? I always thought humanity was in agreement that EP3 > EP2 > EP1:D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Valias wrote:
    Whut? I always thought humanity was in agreement that EP3 > EP2 > EP1:D

I can't watch EP2. Anikan (I don't care if I misspelled it) is such a tool. At the end of EP1, you liked the little boy. I think they set out EP2 with the goal of making you despise him. They succeeded.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I can't watch EP2. Anikan (I don't care if I misspelled it) is such a tool. At the end of EP1, you liked the little boy. I think they set out EP2 with the goal of making you despise him. They succeeded.

I don't know, I just felt to like EP2 more better than the others. I never liked EP1, mostly because I thought the whiny kid was annoying. I felt EP2 redeemed itself by not having that kid back and the big epic battle at the end.

EP3 had anakin assuming the whiny role again. Mad anakin, sad anakin, evil anakin, mad anakin, sad anakin, evil anakin, sad anakin.... ffs end the movie already.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    At the end of EP1, you liked the little boy.
    Not me. He was just another Wesley, only even younger. And still he tapped dat Princess. :p

EP1 was too much of a children's movie for me, even though battle droids are cool.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Grox wrote: »
    I don't know, I just felt to like EP2 more better than the others. I never liked EP1, mostly because I thought the whiny kid was annoying. I felt EP2 redeemed itself by not having that kid back and the big epic battle at the end.

EP3 had anakin assuming the whiny role again. Mad anakin, sad anakin, evil anakin, mad anakin, sad anakin, evil anakin, sad anakin.... ffs end the movie already.

Yes, but the annoying kid was forgivable because he was a kid. In Ep2 and beyond he was still that same annoying kid but an adult! Dude, you are a Jedi! Suck it up!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yes, but the annoying kid was forgivable because he was a kid. In Ep2 and beyond he was still that same annoying kid but an adult! Dude, you are a Jedi! Suck it up!

Now that we've gone WAY off topic...

Personally, I think it was made quite clear that the child Anakin had severe mental problems due to various factors that the Jedi exacerbated (he may have been a slave, but he was happyy with his mother - the Jedi destroyed that when they took him from Tattooine). Yoda saw how screwed up the kid was when he refused to train him, knowing that giving him power would corrupt what was already pretty shaky to begin with. The kid then got a taste of power when he stole the starfighter and singlehandedly destroyed the droid control ship, setting in motion the very chain of events Yoda tried to stop.

Obi-Wan get getting obstinate only sealed the deal, and furthered Anakin's need for power - a need the feeds on itself. The more you have, the more you want, after all - and Anakin wanted the power to control the universe and all in it, supposedly to "stop the evil" and not recognizing that the need itself was evil. That's why he was so emo - his training conlicted with his wants, and in the end the wants won, creating the persona of Darth Vader - basically a little insane from the get-go as a sociopathic personality - he only cared about what he wanted, and about what his "master" wanted, the latter due more to fear than anything else, really.

That's kinda the underlying theme of the entire SW movie series - evil will rise to the top and stay there, unless fought by "men of good will" that won't be corrupted by the power they wield. I'll leave it to the reader as to which is which :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Errr... dude.. they ARE the same aliens from E.T.

Lucas included them as part of a deal he made with Spielberg. Stevey-boy included Yoda in the E.T. Toy Line in exchange for George Lucas promising to put E.T. in his next Star Wars film.

They're the Children of the Green Planet, and they are most definitely the same aliens.

If you say so, man. They don't look quite the same to me. But then Yoda doesn't look quite right in Episode One either so...

:cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Callasan wrote: »
    Now that we've gone WAY off topic...

Personally, I think it was made quite clear that the child Anakin had severe mental problems due to various factors that the Jedi exacerbated (he may have been a slave, but he was happyy with his mother - the Jedi destroyed that when they took him from Tattooine). Yoda saw how screwed up the kid was when he refused to train him, knowing that giving him power would corrupt what was already pretty shaky to begin with. The kid then got a taste of power when he stole the starfighter and singlehandedly destroyed the droid control ship, setting in motion the very chain of events Yoda tried to stop.

Obi-Wan get getting obstinate only sealed the deal, and furthered Anakin's need for power - a need the feeds on itself. The more you have, the more you want, after all - and Anakin wanted the power to control the universe and all in it, supposedly to "stop the evil" and not recognizing that the need itself was evil. That's why he was so emo - his training conlicted with his wants, and in the end the wants won, creating the persona of Darth Vader - basically a little insane from the get-go as a sociopathic personality - he only cared about what he wanted, and about what his "master" wanted, the latter due more to fear than anything else, really.

That's kinda the underlying theme of the entire SW movie series - evil will rise to the top and stay there, unless fought by "men of good will" that won't be corrupted by the power they wield. I'll leave it to the reader as to which is which :)

Well, at least he finally fulfilled the prophecy and destroyed the sith. Even if was tossing emperor down a maintenance shaft.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If they did do a "crossover" race, I could think of 1000 better choices than these over sized smurfs from a generic and boring movie.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, at least he finally fulfilled the prophecy and destroyed the sith. Even if was tossing emperor down a maintenance shaft.
    and yet the Generations writers felt that rail girders were a good way for Kirk to go.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    and yet the Generations writers felt that rail girders were a good way for Kirk to go.

"But he died on the bridge!"

*facepalm*
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If they did do a "crossover" race, I could think of 1000 better choices than these over sized smurfs from a generic and boring movie.

Take that back!

Anyway, back to the original topic. I don't want to see Na'vi as an "official" race because it takes a bit of skill to make a good one on the character generator and I take pride in some of the things I can pull off with it. That's why I also don't 'clone' toons with other players. In this game I've seen Zoidberg, Batman and Plucky Duck among others. Having a different but recognizable toon is fun.

As for their place in the Federation, my own little character bio that I keep in my head goes something like this: The Na'vi in Starfleet are descendants of true Na'vi and Avatars (human/Na'vi hybrid bodies). They eventually grew shorter as they adapted to heavier gravity and different air. The events of the movie are pre-warp and pre-Federation, so there is plenty of time to integrate these offshoots.

You can tell James Cameron I said it was OK to use that if he wants ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure why this thread still exists. The Na'vi aren't part of the Star Trek IP. Cryptic doesn't have the property rights. So there's no legal way for this to ever happen.

Wishful thinking and all that; I get it. I just don't know why the mods haven't moved it to a more appropriate section of the forum, like Ten Forward perhaps.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ew-hoohoo.. Nasty yucky Zombie needs to die in a fire!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like how we don't even have most of the Aliens from STAR TREK, and people already want aliens from completely different franchises. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hope no one is surprised when their Avatar clone toons get genericized.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like how we don't even have most of the Aliens from STAR TREK, and people already want aliens from completely different franchises. :rolleyes:

Exactly my thought! ....although I wouldn't mind Cylons.....LOL.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jarnin wrote: »
    I'm not sure why this thread still exists. The Na'vi aren't part of the Star Trek IP. Cryptic doesn't have the property rights. So there's no legal way for this to ever happen.

Wishful thinking and all that; I get it. I just don't know why the mods haven't moved it to a more appropriate section of the forum, like Ten Forward perhaps.

It wasn't a serious request, just a pie in the sky discussion just for the fun of it.

and I still want a Niblonian
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tavenji wrote: »
    Take that back!

Anyway, back to the original topic. I don't want to see Na'vi as an "official" race because it takes a bit of skill to make a good one on the character generator and I take pride in some of the things I can pull off with it. That's why I also don't 'clone' toons with other players. In this game I've seen Zoidberg, Batman and Plucky Duck among others. Having a different but recognizable toon is fun.

As for their place in the Federation, my own little character bio that I keep in my head goes something like this: The Na'vi in Starfleet are descendants of true Na'vi and Avatars (human/Na'vi hybrid bodies). They eventually grew shorter as they adapted to heavier gravity and different air. The events of the movie are pre-warp and pre-Federation, so there is plenty of time to integrate these offshoots.

You can tell James Cameron I said it was OK to use that if he wants ;)

way to necro a thread thats been dead for over a month
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    and I still want a Niblonian

How awesome would it be to have a Niblonian pet that could eat Targs?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Phibrizzo wrote: »
    way to necro a thread thats been dead for over a month

42 days without a post might be dead, but I'm not sure it qualifies as un-dead.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    gornman47 wrote:
    Exactly my thought! ....although I wouldn't mind Cylons.....LOL.

Centurion! I order you to exterminate this thread!!!

"By your command!!!"

*whir* *whir* *whir* PEW PEW!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    innocuous9 wrote:
    Don't laugh. Ok, well, go on and laugh a little, then come back and read the rest of this thing. I assure you I'm not wasting your time or the devs time.

You see it a lot. Stand around on Earth Spacedock for a while and someone who is really good with the alien generator will walk by with a Na'vi character. For those who don't know, the Na'vi are the blue aliens from the Avatar movie.

They got me to wondering, what would it take to make them an official, playable race?

You might be prompted to say to yourself, "But they're not a Star Trek race!" Normally I would agree with you, but then again, I didn't think the aliens from E.T. were a Star Wars race either. Then, suddenly, watching The Phantom Menace (I think), there they were on the senate floor!

So, there is precedent for this. The term is Crossover. It depends heavily on the relationships of everybody involved of course, but it has been and can be done.

What are your thoughts on this? What other types of Crossover would you want to see, in your weirdest pipe dreams, if you could have it? Discuss.

Think in the terms page or some thing it said you cant make non star trek copy right aliens
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nice necro. BTW anyone making Na'vi characters in the game is most likely breaking some copyright rules - same reason why Cryptic won't put Picard in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Centurion! I order you to exterminate this thread!!!

"By your command!!!"

*whir* *whir* *whir* PEW PEW!

Hehehehe!!!! That's probably the most entertaining comment I have seen since... well, for a long time. :D

---
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Don't know if I have responded to this before or not... I didn't laugh. I facepalmed and heaved a heavy sigh at the absurdity of this idea. This goes on the list of worst ideas ever. (I need to ACTUALLY make this list I keep talking about)

First off, that movie was sci-fi garbage. Giant blue hippies turned hypocrite. So I hate the idea right there.

Secondary Point; Your precedent for adding them is STAR WARS added ET!? WHAT?! A lesser Sci-fi movie puts an alien from another series in a shot? Ok so that means we should add a non-star trek race to star trek as a playable species!? I get it... makes sense... The word for that point is IRRELEVANT.

Secondary point part B; You can sort of see the Millennium Falcon in First Contact, does this mean we should be able to fly it? Actually seeing it in a movie makes that a better candidate then the Navi! What about R2-D2 in the New Trek movie? (Curse you modern Trek Makers! CURSE YOU!!) So should we get an R2 pet? Didn't think so...

Tertiary point; It's so not possible. ANd you cant say "But what if it was!?" Because it's a still a stupid idea, and it's still impossible. What if it wasn't? Irrelevant. It is.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Martok42 wrote: »
    Don't know if I have responded to this before or not... I didn't laugh. I facepalmed and heaved a heavy sigh at the absurdity of this idea. This goes on the list of worst ideas ever. (I need to ACTUALLY make this list I keep talking about)

First off, that movie was sci-fi garbage. Giant blue hippies turned hypocrite. So I hate the idea right there.

Secondary Point; Your precedent for adding them is STAR WARS added ET!? WHAT?! A lesser Sci-fi movie puts an alien from another series in a shot? Ok so that means we should add a non-star trek race to star trek as a playable species!? I get it... makes sense... The word for that point is IRRELEVANT.

Secondary point part B; You can sort of see the Millennium Falcon in First Contact, does this mean we should be able to fly it? Actually seeing it in a movie makes that a better candidate then the Navi! What about R2-D2 in the New Trek movie? (Curse you modern Trek Makers! CURSE YOU!!) So should we get an R2 pet? Didn't think so...

Tertiary point; It's so not possible. ANd you cant say "But what if it was!?" Because it's a still a stupid idea, and it's still impossible. What if it wasn't? Irrelevant. It is.

All of that ^. Though the bold/underlined part occurred during the JJ Trek timeline, and therefore, doesn't apply here. :p

If we're going to start adding random aliens, we might as well bring in these guys.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    All of that ^. Though the bold/underlined part occurred during the JJ Trek timeline, and therefore, doesn't apply here. :p

If we're going to start adding random aliens, we might as well bring in these guys.

Well that is more plausible then from a movie that's not even Trek! Yah that's impossible, but the Navi are even MORE so. So it's still DOES apply and my points remains unaltered.

Exactly. You could just ask for any alien to be added on the Precedence "Star Wars did it" (like that makes sens) Predators! ALF! How about the Martians from Mars Attacks? Now THAT I would support. :rolleyes:
    Sarcasm. I would not.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    :cool::cool:As long as people are trying to drag Cameron's stuff into STO, I see the need for a Terminator to terminate this thread with a twelve-gauge autoloader, a .45 longslide with laser sighting, a phased plasma rifle in the 40-Watt range, and an Uzi 9 millimeter. :cool::cool:
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    CapnBludd wrote: »
    :cool::cool:As long as people are trying to drag Cameron's stuff into STO, I see the need for a Terminator to terminate this thread with a twelve-gauge autoloader, a .45 longslide with laser sighting, a phased plasma rifle in the 40-Watt range, and an Uzi 9 millimeter. :cool::cool:

Damn, I want that T-600 (or something) with minigun from the latest movie... I bet those Romulans would be in for an awful surprise :P
This discussion has been closed.