What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Na'vi as a Playable Race

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    NO, NO, NO, NONONONONONO!!!! A thousand times NO!

Feel free to create whatsoever you like in the Alien Gen, but no official Na'Vi, ever.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's people like the OP (and anyone else with Na'vi characters) that make me wish for open PVP and perma death, I'd get a fleet just to exterminate all Na'vi characters....
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Snake509 wrote: »
    It's people like the OP (and anyone else with Na'vi characters) that make me wish for open PVP and perma death, I'd get a fleet just to exterminate all Na'vi characters....

I would join you. But.. What about AlienGen Cardassians?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Spending licensing money on an outside intellectual properties' work for the small portion of players that would be willing to purchase generic space aliens from generic space alien film?

Something tells me the cost outweighs the reward. This would be both a legal and financial understaking with little guarantee of success on either front.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you make them NPCs.....killable NPCs. Regardless of faction, even in non combat areas, like ESD. You can still shoot them on site.

ANNNND if you give me one of those shiny Terran suits of power armor. Maybe...just maybe id be willing to let into the game.

Still, id rather have the Prawns from district 9. And its suit of power armor much more instead.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Don't really need pre-warp aliens from an overrated movie who have nothing to do with the Trek universe. I'm all for hiring Wayne Barlow to do some STO concept art though.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    As they have plans on making their own MMO at some point I don't think FOX would ever allow Na'vi to be used by another game. Also, different production companies aren't likely to even make a crossover. Alien vs Predator could do it because both properties are owned by FOX. Freddy vs Jason could do it for the same reason, both are owned by Newline.

Avatar is owned by FOX. Star Trek in owned by Paramount and CBS. I think it's safe to say there will never ever be a crossover between the two properties.

Also, the aliens in Star Wars Phantom Menace, while similar in appearance to the E.T. aliens were definitely not the same. Other than having long necks and short stubby bodies there is no resemblance whatsoever.

Nice try though.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well, I've seen a lot of custom aliens on ESD and Qo'nos that looked like a bunch of giant *****s, maybe Cryptic needs to make a playable giant ***** race also? Let's calm them the *****lians. And their special racial power: They can VIBRATE! Imagine how awesome that would be? At least it wouldn't be more ridiculous then seeing a Na'vi playable race.

P.S.: The *****lians have a wide variety of skincolors and can also consist of different types of fabric.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Someone should make a joint Klingon/Federation mission in foundry that involves going to Pandora to slaughter all the Na'vi! :D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Please, no.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

The proper response....

Caution: Language on both clips....
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Blackavaar wrote: »
    As they have plans on making their own MMO at some point I don't think FOX would ever allow Na'vi to be used by another game. Also, different production companies aren't likely to even make a crossover. Alien vs Predator could do it because both properties are owned by FOX. Freddy vs Jason could do it for the same reason, both are owned by Newline.

Avatar is owned by FOX. Star Trek in owned by Paramount and CBS. I think it's safe to say there will never ever be a crossover between the two properties.

Also, the aliens in Star Wars Phantom Menace, while similar in appearance to the E.T. aliens were definitely not the same. Other than having long necks and short stubby bodies there is no resemblance whatsoever.

Nice try though.

:cool:

No resemblance???? It's pretty well known that Speilberg and Lucas are colleagues. Speilberg directed one of the action sequences in Revenge of the Sith and they both made Indiana Jones together. I dont think there was any trouble for Lucas to put E.T. in Episode I and make it look just like E.T. Looked like him to me.

I always thought that James Cameron, having directed ALIENS and Avatar, both having U.S. Space marines and greedy corporations with similar technology and both being put out by FOX kind of implied that the Na'vi co-existed in the Alien/Predator universe without actually saying so in AVATAR. Makes alot more sense than Na'vi in star trek. The human history in Avatar and Trek clearly do not match up.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No resemblance???? It's pretty well known that Speilberg and Lucas are colleagues. Speilberg directed one of the action sequences in Revenge of the Sith and they both made Indiana Jones together. I dont think there was any trouble for Lucas to put E.T. in Episode I and make it look just like E.T. Looked like him to me.

I always thought that James Cameron, having directed ALIENS and Avatar, both having U.S. Space marines and greedy corporations with similar technology and both being put out by FOX kind of implied that the Na'vi co-existed in the Alien/Predator universe without actually saying so in AVATAR. Makes alot more sense than Na'vi in star trek. The human history in Avatar and Trek clearly do not match up.

Evil corporations? Don't make me laugh. James Cameron doesn't have a lot of room to talk about evil corporations at these prices.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I didn't much like the movie, it only shows that no matter how far man advanced technology, his
    insatiable appetite for war and conflict can never be satisfied. Granted, the navi were the victims, but anything that advances that IP, I could not support.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    innocuous9 wrote:
    You might be prompted to say to yourself, "But they're not a Star Trek race!" Normally I would agree with you, but then again, I didn't think the aliens from E.T. were a Star Wars race either. Then, suddenly, watching The Phantom Menace (I think), there they were on the senate floor!

that was a nod to John Williams, who did the music for both E.T. and all Star Wars films.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well shoot.. if you get Avatar..

I want my Transformers..

Or Space balls..

Or Mogs.. (RIP John Candy)

Or Namekians..

Or Saiyans..

Or.. Well... you get the Idea. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Please.

Mickey Mouse in Close Encounters.

Lucus losing the original prints to Star Wars.

Speilberg changing guns to phones because of Drew.

In sync as Jedi?

Xizor?

The more these two old hacks stay away from Science Fiction, the better the genra will be. They had their time.

Avatar didn't end up being the new mythos Speilberg wanted and "Howard the Duck" rocked more than Bea Arthur singing in a Christmas special.

Oh, and leave them out of the Aliens franchise as well, they'd die faster than Batman should have.

Edit. Last thought it's too bad IDW doesn't do Avatar comics, the new "Infestation", Zombie cross over doing Star Trek, Transformers, G.I. Joe and Ghostbusters, could have used a Avatar mix. (as well as disney princess, carebear, smurf and thundercats). That would be epic.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sorry Avatar HAS NO PLACE IN STO at all never, to me the movie was god aweful a very poor plot rehash, from Dances with Wolf's a much better film with a much better cast, sorry to me it was the worse movie made, I want my 2 plus hours back forget about refunding my money for that POS . Thank you for reading
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Valoriand wrote:
    Sorry Avatar HAS NO PLACE IN STO at all never, to me the movie was god aweful a very poor plot rehash, from Dances with Wolf's a much better film with a much better cast, sorry to me it was the worse movie made, I want my 2 plus hours back forget about refunding my money for that POS . Thank you for reading

No Catwoman was worse. How you can make Halle Berry look bad is the true metric for film making.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Evil corporations? Don't make me laugh. James Cameron doesn't have a lot of room to talk about evil corporations at these prices.

You don't need a crapy 3d version of a movie to live. What's evil about making tons of money off of something like that? If I had the resources I'd be doing the exact same thing, and so would you... Evil? Really?
    How is that any different than this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Remastered-Season/dp/B001DHXT6G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1295501400&sr=8-3?
    EDIT: and NO! Create aliens from other shows or movies all you want, that's perfectly acceptable, but as an official race? NO! I have a hard time believing this is a real thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Normally I'd be all for adding more options to STO but Na'vi? Really? Unless you can guarantee adding stuff to the alien gen so I can perfectly copy Mutio from blue submarine no 6, but that'd just be me being mercenary.

Also was anyone else annoyed by the whole "Na'vi are so perfect" thing going on in Avatar? Almost wanted the humans to prevail solely from that. I'll be less bothered by it if the sequel shows Pandora is a world engineered by an advanced alien species for war or something(everything has super tough bones).
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Mav750k wrote: »
    You don't need a crapy 3d version of a movie to live. What's evil about making tons of money off of something like that? If I had the resources I'd be doing the exact same thing, and so would you... Evil? Really?
    How is that any different than this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Remastered-Season/dp/B001DHXT6G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1295501400&sr=8-3?
    EDIT: and NO! Create aliens from other shows or movies all you want, that's perfectly acceptable, but as an official race? NO! I have a hard time believing this is a real thread.
    I think the point was Cameron's thinly veiled anti-capitalist/"evil corporation" message in the movie was hypocritical.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also was anyone else annoyed by the whole "Na'vi are so perfect" thing going on in Avatar? Almost wanted the humans to prevail solely from that.
    Primary reason I have no interest in the movie. The whole idea that "native" populations are always peaceful and non-violent when pre-contact with more technologically advanced civilizations is a farce. The Aztecs (my ancestors) and the Pawnee are just 2 examples off the top of my head that kinda blow that concept out the airlock...
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Putting aside arguments about whether the movie was a good one or not as well as legal issues...

Just say Na'vi were officially added to STO.

What, exactly, would be added to the game?

I mean, we already have them running about, they;re just not called Na'vi, but Aliens. Whats the difference?

Zero bloody gain.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No, just no. Before you know it, if we add those, well have those horrid Ewoks running around? Oh wait, that's not Start Rek you say? Exactly. So, sorry Avatar fanbois/grrls out there, but no. X-S
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If you let one of these walk in the door, you have a standing invitation for anything else to enter as well. That usually bodes ill for the interior. There is enough domestic mess floating around already, no need to import more. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    To the OP:

What is there to discuss?

The aliens you referring to belong to a different IP that will most likely demand more money that Cryptic can make from C Store in a 1000 years.

Furthermore, I really do not see how a world as rich and diverse as Star Trek would need Na'Vi for any reason other than the fact some people like fantasizing about certain things and impose them on ANY setting. In case you haven't we have enough blue aliens to go around.

So no Na'Vi, space smurfs, autobots or anything else that really should just be ideas in YOUR head. Not the forum.

*apologies if I sound a bit harsh ( haven't had coffee yet :P )
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    captnwan wrote: »
    Realistic? Really?

A place with FLOATING mountains. A near entire jungle ecosystem. A planet filed almost entirely with giant carnivores. Hard for an ecosystem to be beliveable when its entire population is filled with apex level predators. A planet with a soul and every creature coming pre-equiped with magic "feeling" connectors with with to talk to the planet or each other.

Yea, its the most realistic world ever!:rolleyes:

My bad, I should have said "visually realistic" as in so richly embellished that it's believable to the human eye. As its a science fiction movie about 10 foot tall blue aliens and this is a science fiction based forum I underestimated my need to be perfectly clear.

PS while rolling those eyes of yours maybe you can peek into that gray pudding nestled behind the cranium and name a film that showcases a superior crafted planet.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Bobservo wrote:
    How about adding these aliens?

There's a flash from my past :eek:
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thrax73 wrote:
    PS while rolling those eyes of yours maybe you can peek into that gray pudding nestled behind the cranium and name a film that showcases a superior crafted planet.

Dune. Even though that suffered from the the usual "one geographical trait that defines a whole planet".

Effects that define a movie doesn't cover up a unoriginal plot, another bipedal species, and hot 10 foot tall women painted blue, in 3-D.

Blue or Green, "death by snoo snoo" does not a good movie make.

They crafted cool effects, not a planet. Aside from Dune you really want to get into better crafted planets? Maybe we could narrow it down to real science fiction instead of simple movie effects.
This discussion has been closed.