test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Na'vi as a Playable Race

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Don't laugh. Ok, well, go on and laugh a little, then come back and read the rest of this thing. I assure you I'm not wasting your time or the devs time.

You see it a lot. Stand around on Earth Spacedock for a while and someone who is really good with the alien generator will walk by with a Na'vi character. For those who don't know, the Na'vi are the blue aliens from the Avatar movie.

They got me to wondering, what would it take to make them an official, playable race?

You might be prompted to say to yourself, "But they're not a Star Trek race!" Normally I would agree with you, but then again, I didn't think the aliens from E.T. were a Star Wars race either. Then, suddenly, watching The Phantom Menace (I think), there they were on the senate floor!

So, there is precedent for this. The term is Crossover. It depends heavily on the relationships of everybody involved of course, but it has been and can be done.

What are your thoughts on this? What other types of Crossover would you want to see, in your weirdest pipe dreams, if you could have it? Discuss.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    can't happen. Players making them is one thing but if Cryptic wanted too they'd have to obtain the license to put them in officially.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Askray wrote: »
    can't happen. Players making them is one thing but if Cryptic wanted too they'd have to obtain the license to put them in officially.

Ok? Let's say they could. Let's say they called up the Avatar people and said, "Hey, what do you think?" and the reply was, "Sure, let's go for it!"

Oh, and the odds are a billion to one of anything like that happening, I know. I could get struck by lightning five or six times before it actually became reality. I get that. The point of this thread is, "What if?" and "What else?" not "Why not?"
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    xmen, its happened before

it ended.....not well
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I could envision something integrated into the Foundry where players can publish their aliens and others can copy/reuse those settings as a base-line for their new NPC characters in their custom missions.

Cryptic might have to restrict people from creating/publishing copyrighted material (like if someone made a "Na'vi" and published it) just from a legal standpoint. And it's something the players had to sign as part of the EULA anyway. But people could always publish an alien that happened to look like a Na'vi and call it "TallBlueAlienStyle3".
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wouldn't you rather have playable Melmacians? Na'vi just don't seem like an appropriate species for STO. They were not even capable of interstellar travel.

Besides, I hear the planet Melmac is pretty rad.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How about adding these aliens?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    innocuous9 wrote:
    So, there is precedent for this. The term is Crossover. It depends heavily on the relationships of everybody involved of course, but it has been and can be done..

I am usually a fan of crossovers, but in this case not so much.

Aside from being a movie and universe with a **very** different feel, Avatar also breaks any sense of Star Trek continuity if you try and reconcile its history with Trek history.

In short: no thanks, not the best of combinations.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    They are a pre warp civilization, so they wouldn't be part of the federation anyway.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    CapnBludd wrote: »
    They are a pre warp civilization, so they wouldn't be part of the federation anyway.

this.

10ch
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd rather see a holodeck crossover with your crew and the cast from Dances With Wolves.

At least the story would be the same as what the OP wants.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Pre-warp, pre-rocket, pre-nuclear, pre-industrial....

Hell, I think the Amish are closer to Federation membership than these blue aliens.

innocuous9 wrote:
    Normally I would agree with you, but then again, I didn't think the aliens from E.T. were a Star Wars race either. Then, suddenly, watching The Phantom Menace (I think), there they were on the senate floor!

Two things:
    1. Using the Star Wars prequals is usually not a good way to win an argument with sci-fi nerds. ;)
    2. Lucas and Spielberg are good friends and collaborators. So it was of little surprise to see them there.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    innocuous9 wrote:
    Don't laugh. Ok, well, go on and laugh a little, then come back and read the rest of this thing. I assure you I'm not wasting your time or the devs time.

You see it a lot. Stand around on Earth Spacedock for a while and someone who is really good with the alien generator will walk by with a Na'vi character. For those who don't know, the Na'vi are the blue aliens from the Avatar movie.

They got me to wondering, what would it take to make them an official, playable race?

You might be prompted to say to yourself, "But they're not a Star Trek race!" Normally I would agree with you, but then again, I didn't think the aliens from E.T. were a Star Wars race either. Then, suddenly, watching The Phantom Menace (I think), there they were on the senate floor!

So, there is precedent for this. The term is Crossover. It depends heavily on the relationships of everybody involved of course, but it has been and can be done.

What are your thoughts on this? What other types of Crossover would you want to see, in your weirdest pipe dreams, if you could have it? Discuss.

only if our captain can mate with one of them to save the crew. I'm sure Scotty could drink one of them things under the table to distract.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    The_Dogman wrote:
    At least the story would be the same as what the OP wants.
    Wouldn't Pocahontas be a better program for that? :D
    Using the Star Wars prequals is usually not a good way to win an argument with sci-fi nerds. ;)
    Nah, that depends on how prejudiced and knowledgeable they actually are in the SW setting, as opposed to just believing to have spotted a flaw (the old feud between many ST and SW fans). Just yesterday I had a talk with someone who didn't know that turbolasers are actually plasma cannons, wrongfully thinking they made no sense.

Yes, I'm a nerd.

As for E.T., that was actually the fulfillment of a promise Lucas had made to Spielberg many, many years ago: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/E.T. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is where I think the Alien species option should be enough. I like to see the innovative creations from our player's. And I can't really object to player's who create their own semblance of a Na'vi. I've seen the film and understand the attraction. I expect these ideas anytime a fresh scifi film is released. I would have to re-think this anytime CBS permits a cross-over in other mediums. Say, the comic books mentioned here? If they do it there, it might not be that far of a stretch to consider it here. But in small doses. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I want a playable Marklar...
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How about the Millennium Falcon as a playable ship? At least that has appeared on screen in a Star Trek movie (First Contact, during the fight with the Borg cube at earth).

Or R2D2? We saw him as part of the debris above Vulcan in JJ's Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Official Na'vi in STO? lol

"Never" happening, 100% guaranteed.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    MrJ wrote:
    How about the Millennium Falcon as a playable ship? At least that has appeared on screen in a Star Trek movie (First Contact, during the fight with the Borg cube at earth).

Or R2D2? We saw him as part of the debris above Vulcan in JJ's Star Trek.
    Just to be sure, you're joking about wanting to include them right? :p
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Also, isn't Pandora in the Alpha Centauri system? Aren't there already other aliens living there in Star Trek (well, depending on which canon you follow)?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, not gonna happen and it shouldn't happen for all the reasons above.

If they can be created with the alien creator options, leave it at that.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    While I absolutely loved Avatar and thought Pandora was simply the most realistic alien world put on the big screen, it would have no place in Star Trek canon.

I would, however, like to see more episodes involving pre-warp cultures. Working to resolve a story involving primitive cultures while protecting the Prime Directive is very Star Trek.

Lastly, just because a culture is not technically advanced should it automatically be labeled primitive. There is more the one way to explore the Galaxy and any society can develop intelligence and wisdom light years beyond the present Federation without ever leaving the planet they evolved on.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Intrepidox wrote: »
    this.

10ch

Haha this.....hell their main "base" was a big tree..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thrax73 wrote:
    While I absolutely loved Avatar and thought Pandora was simply the most realistic alien world put on the big screen, it would have no place in Star Trek canon.

Realistic? Really?

A place with FLOATING mountains. A near entire jungle ecosystem. A planet filed almost entirely with giant carnivores. Hard for an ecosystem to be beliveable when its entire population is filled with apex level predators. A planet with a soul and every creature coming pre-equiped with magic "feeling" connectors with with to talk to the planet or each other.

Yea, its the most realistic world ever!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    No..... period
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pikoy wrote:
    I want a playable Marklar...

I would like an gender neutral option so I could do something like the Talosians, or something that really allows a giant veiny brain head, like Morbo. Truth be told, I'd love to add Decapodians, Omicronians, Amphibiosan, or even the Yarn People of Nylar 4.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    captnwan wrote: »
    Realistic? Really?

A place with FLOATING mountains. A near entire jungle ecosystem. A planet filed almost entirely with giant carnivores. Hard for an ecosystem to be beliveable when its entire population is filled with apex level predators. A planet with a soul and every creature coming pre-equiped with magic "feeling" connectors with with to talk to the planet or each other.

Yea, its the most realistic world ever!:rolleyes:

Not to mention the floating mountains with waterfalls--where's the water coming from?
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thrax73 wrote:
    Lastly, just because a culture is not technically advanced should it automatically be labeled primitive. There is more the one way to explore the Galaxy and any society can develop intelligence and wisdom light years beyond the present Federation without ever leaving the planet they evolved on.

Cept one ion engine and one cometary mass and its bye bye enlightened ones.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the [URL=" http://forums.startrekonline.com/announcement.php?f=70&a=2"]Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines[/URL] ~InfoNinja
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FizixMan wrote: »
    Just to be sure, you're joking about wanting to include them right? :p

Yup, I sure am
This discussion has been closed.