Install Arc
Options

Tribble FAQ - Tribble Breeding for Fun and, well, Loss

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    Turak wrote: »
    My bank has 30ish random tribbles that have breed in my inventory over time. For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to dispose of them.

Sell them to the romulans. I heard tribbles are a real delicacy in their imperial captial. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Tribble Breeding for the Impatient... Please correct me where I am mistaken.

Looking through the various sources, it seems to me that the goal of breeding is to produce a (Tuf), which in turn can be bred up to either a (Mat) or a (Ric). These two are the basis for any of the rarer (non-unique) breeds, yes? (And, incidentally, what you apparently need in order to breed up a Cryo-Tribble using Snow Tubers.)

It also seems to me that a sub-goal is to use the cheapest, most available food possible. I want to buy it or replicate it, not wait for a food item drop.

To get a (Mat), I see the following logical progression (leaving out the lowest tier of tribbles):
    Species: Sus/Vit [Heal] -> Tuf [Heal] -> Hen [+Regen] -> Dea [+Regen] -> Mat [+Dmg/+Regen]
    Food: (Ferengi Snail Steak) -> (Chateau Picard) -> (Chateau Picard) -> (Saurian Brandy)

To get a (Ric), it looks like this is a logical progression:
    Species: Sus/Vit [Heal] -> Tuf [Heal] -> Nix [+Resist] -> Stc [+Resist] -> Ric [+Dmg/+Resist]
    Food: (Ferengi Snail Steak) -> (Slug-O-Cola) -> (Vulcan Spice Tea) -> ((Klingon Gladst))

The drawback here is that Gladst is not listed as a vended food item, so I'm forced to wait for a drop or get it on the Exchange if I can.

Does this seem reasonable?

ok, one thing left thats bugging me

my engineering captain has a photonic tribble. i have no idea where it came from, how do i get it, so my other 2 fed toons can get one- or is it an engieering thing?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Photonic Tribble might be a preorder, vendor-specific, or a special reward, I don't know. Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to shed light on that one.

Not all Tribbles can be bred. The Borg and Fluidic Tribbles, for example, were specific rewards for participating in testing events on the Tribble test server. At least one other tribble species was available by purchasing STO from a particular vendor. I don't remember which one.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Photonic Tribble is a reward for referring 1 person to the game who actually went and bought a retail box. You had to send them the referral to get credit for it. Of course a LOT of people went out and bought an extra box for themselves to get referral perks.

The tribbles available through the c-store are:

Rivera (sometimes called golden tribble due to the c-store marketing department)
    Tribble of Borg
    Fluidic Space Tribble

Cryo tribble is from the Deferi weekly episodes and requires using either a Mattson or Ricosso tribble to eat the Deferi Snow Tubers to be produced. It will only be produced 1 time per character. After that the food gets eaten but no new cryo tribble is produced.

Hope that clears everything up.

As always tribbles breed on the hour mark of your /played time as long as there is 1 tribble and 1 food item in your inventory, bank or utility belt. I've heard they released the breeding restriction from fleet banks but have never tried it and truthfully who's hour mark do they use in the fleet bank anyway if it's true.

There are currently 30 different species of tribble.
    4 cannot be bred for, they are:

Rivera (the Best Buy retail box perk now available in the c-store)
    Tribble of Borg (testing Season 1 pre-release on the Tribble test server, now in c-store)
    Photonic Tribble (referring 1 friend or yourself and they bought a retail box and entered the serial code)
    Fluidic Space Tribble (testing Season 2 pre-release on the Tribble test server, now in c-store)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And additionally; you have unlocked the Photonic Tribble for all your toons (one per toon).

Just go to C-Store and grab it from there for free.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I didn't much rate Tribbles when I started playing (closed Beta etc) but now I find myself hording food and am soooo happy that none of the bridge crew can enter Mal's quarters or they'd be horrified. Their stalwart Orion/Vulcan bad tempered Captain is secretly breeding Tribbles.

Thank you so much for the flow chart which makes life so much easier. Now I know what food and drink items to horde and which I can sell with a clear conscience.

Though my Captain still has to close her eyes and wince when she has to give over Romulan Ale to a ball of fluff that probably wouldn't appreciate it as much as she would.

Anyway, thanks for the time and effort you put into this, it's greatly appreciate on my part.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    WHEN are we getting our Tribble terrariums?!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, you can only breed a tribble in your inventory or bank? What is meant by your power bar? Your 4 inventory slots on your character?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How did CardassianNinja get on my ignore list I only ignore Gold Spammers?

Oh......
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, you can only breed a tribble in your inventory or bank? What is meant by your power bar? Your 4 inventory slots on your character?

Yes, your inventory; your bank and the 4 inventory slots on your character.

However, the slots on your character work only if your character is on ground at full hour played (your ship bridge would also work). To check if you near full hour when Tribbles breed, type "/played" in your chat line.

Hope it helps.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I salute your dedication on this EXCELLENT Flowchart.

Thank you
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I got my yu back then, completely random. I think I get something like 2.5% regen from petting it. Is that meant to be the highest out there or are there better ones for regen?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    OK, I bred a Highison with a Klingon Heart Of Targ today, but instead of getting a Zinc I got a Thompson. Any ideas why?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    excellent chart - I had no idea there was so much to it....:eek:
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have successfully bred a two [Triolic Tribble] using [Tribble (dea)] and the new [Comet Cocktail] which is unlocked after the player has completed "The Devidian" series second episode, "Spin the Wheel".

The [Comet Cocktail] can be purchased from the Ferengi at Drozana Station in the Donatu Sector, Eta Eridani Sector Block.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm running out of room for Tribbles!!

What happens if you discard them in your ship?

Do they appear on the floor or do you lose them forever?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Alecto wrote: »
    I have successfully bred a two [Triolic Tribble] using [Tribble (dea)] and the new [Comet Cocktail] which is unlocked after the player has completed "The Devidian" series second episode, "Spin the Wheel".

The [Comet Cocktail] can be purchased from the Ferengi at Drozana Station in the Donatu Sector, Eta Eridani Sector Block.

Nice, will have to look into that.
    Thlaylie wrote: »
    I'm running out of room for Tribbles!!

What happens if you discard them in your ship?

Do they appear on the floor or do you lose them forever?

You lose them forever.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You can also use the [Tribble (cav)] and the [Comet Cocktail] to breed the [Triolic Tribble].
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Much easier to buy them on the exchange.

I got mine for 9000 ec.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Does anyone know the amount of resistance it gives? Is it better than a Zinc?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thlaylie wrote: »
    Much easier to buy them on the exchange.

I got mine for 9000 ec.

What can you do with a borg tribble? ...make more borg tribbles?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, I got the Triolic Tribble on the Exchange when the little snit Dea I had wouldn't eat the Comet.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    darkwilow wrote: »
    Cryo tribble is from the Deferi weekly episodes and requires using either a Mattson or Ricosso tribble to eat the Deferi Snow Tubers to be produced. It will only be produced 1 time per character. After that the food gets eaten but no new cryo tribble is produced.

Wait. What? My tribble breeder has 4 Matt & 4 Rico spread out among his 8 BO. I also pulled a DEA out of the bank to breed with the Comet coctail on my Captain. When my inventory breeds a cryo I pull it & the mom back to the BO who lent it and pulled out the next tribble to breed. I am down to 2 snow tubers and have 8 Cryo. I pulled the first Matt back out to get a cryo for my captain.

Do you mean I wasn't supposed to be able to do this? Did my tribbles do this because they didn't know any better? Or is it 1 cryo per tribble, and the first Matt will now give me junk? I certainly got more than one cryo per character and it only took me 8 hours. Of course with 2 tribble apeace, some of my BO won't pet either so that the tribbles won't think they play favorites, and the others pet them less. It seems random if they pic Matt or a Cryo (or Rico or Cryo if that is what they have).

Anyway, 1 character, 4 matt, 4 rico + 10 snow tubers = 8 cryo tribbles so far. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Streakfury wrote: »
    OK, I bred a Highison with a Klingon Heart Of Targ today, but instead of getting a Zinc I got a Thompson. Any ideas why?

Thompson?????
    Which one is that?:eek:
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Thompson?????
    Which one is that?:eek:
    That would be "Tho".
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So far, I've bred five Cryo tribbles from the same Mattson with no problems. Got loads of Tubers left, and I intend to use them all to get more Cryos - I'm the fleet tribble breeder, so all the food gets donated to me and I just hand out good tribbles as I breed them.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    is there any spots or missions that are better than others for food drops, i have one of each type now and im looking to breed more finding this food a pain any help would be cool
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've had a Mattson in my inventory with the tubers for weeks now, and it still hasn't bred into a cryo. I've hit my ding on the ground numerous times, but still no hit on it. Would this be a problem with the tubers, perhaps, a bugged instance of the item?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Domino wrote: »
    I've had a Mattson in my inventory with the tubers for weeks now, and it still hasn't bred into a cryo. I've hit my ding on the ground numerous times, but still no hit on it. Would this be a problem with the tubers, perhaps, a bugged instance of the item?

are the tubers still in the box? if so right click and equip/use (unbox them) them and then breed