What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Keybind Questions

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Hi y'all. First let me thank you guys for your patience and educational skill.

I can't seem to get the following two binds to work:
    #1 - Get the hell out of Dodge

F7 "GenSendMessage Throttle_FullImpulse_Button FullThrottle $$ +StatsPreset_Load Preset_3 $$ +power_exec Reroute_Shields_Rear $$ +UseTraySlot0 9"

1. engines to 100% 2. activate Speed preset. 3. reroute power to aft shield 4.Evasive Maneuvers

when I hit F7, the FullThrottle is executed and it stops there.
    I assume you are using "/bind" at the begining.
    Possibly you need a space after "TraySlot" before the 0 ?

#2 Get this bugger off my tail

F8 "ThrottleToggle $$ + ThrottleAdjust -.25 $$ + UseTraySlot0 9"

1. Kill the engines 2. Slam it in Reverse 3. Evasive Maneuvers

Again, when I hit F8, the ThrottleToggle executes and it stops there.
    This just looks wrong to me, but is also beyond my meager skills.

These are taken directly from my "keybinds_space" file. I have tested each step individually; so, I know the commands are correct. It has something to do with my syntax.

BTW, thanks for the bind calling out the target to the team. It cycles beautifully.

Best Regards.

Best I could figure
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Please excuse my extreme ignorance but I can't seem to get ANY binds to work :'(

Do they conflict with having auto fire on?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ellri wrote:
    Please excuse my extreme ignorance but I can't seem to get ANY binds to work :'(

Do they conflict with having auto fire on?

They may cause or have a stutter if you use "fireall" and auto-fire, but thats an observation that I have no definitive proof of and they should still work. Most keybinds that don't work are the product of simple gramar mistakes.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bummer... I can't get the line tranceaddict gave to work :(

Im pretty sure I copied it exactly. Heck, I copy/pasted it :'(

Edit: When I say auto fire, I meant the toggle, never cancels thing :)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Its a ground keybind?

Where you in a ground mission or planetside when you copy/pasted it into the chat bar?

you must be in space for space keybinds to take.
    you must be on ground for ground keybinds to take.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yer I thought that was the case. Still no dice.

Aww... nothing ever works for me :'(
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sorry for double post.

I can't get

/bind Tab "Target_Enemy_Near $$ + PetCommands_SetAllToOwnerAttackTarget"

to work. The 2 commands are definitely correct as they work on their own, but when put together they dont. Is it perhaps because there is some kind of delay between the selcting enemy and the team getting the order which means that the script is running too fast for it?

Are others of you able to get it to work or is it just me? I can't decide to continue trying to get it to work or just give it up as a lost cause.

Many thanks, I really do appreciate your help as Im struggling with ground combat at the moment :)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Bump?

Huge apologies for triple posting :(
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ellri wrote:
    Sorry for double post.

I can't get

/bind Tab "Target_Enemy_Near $$ + PetCommands_SetAllToOwnerAttackTarget"

to work. The 2 commands are definitely correct as they work on their own, but when put together they dont. Is it perhaps because there is some kind of delay between the selcting enemy and the team getting the order which means that the script is running too fast for it?

Are others of you able to get it to work or is it just me? I can't decide to continue trying to get it to work or just give it up as a lost cause.

Many thanks, I really do appreciate your help as Im struggling with ground combat at the moment :)

I'm not in game to test it out, and I have to admit I'm not that great with this either, but if I had to hazard a guess I don't think that + should have a space between it and PetCommands. Maybe you should check to make sure that's not a simple typo. Also, and again I'm reaching here, but is something missing from in front of Target_Enemy_Near? Most of the other binds seem to require something like GenSendMessage Target_Enemy_Near.

Blind leading the blind, sorry, lol.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This certainly is helpfull, but maybe there's too much stuff going on if you have to use Keybinds to play the game.

Maybe just simplify the game so it relies on Tactical Skill instead of Buffs and DeBuffs in such extreme amounts they require keybinds?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~GM Tiyshen
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thlaylie wrote: »
    The game was designed to use the mouse and keybinds may be considered hacking. I'm not trolling and am every bit as serious as you.

It's real nice that you can dismiss my opinion with a trolling accusation which in itself I consider trolling.

Prove it - keybinds are an instrumental part of EVERY GAME. The fact that this thread has been STICKIED instead of closed is further evidence that the dev's not only condone these actions, but support them and want people to use more of them.

This is not a political thread. This is a serios thread for people that need help with keybinds.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Dang looks like I'll have to go into keybinds more. TBH though I used to win a lot before they were put into play by a larger group of people simply through sheer effort and timing. Gotta up my game with this though :/ ah well :P

In any case why isn't there a large database of all keybinds for the betterment of the populace. No, sifting through sto threads doesnt count :P
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Omg... took me ages to finally find the real treasure. Here it is. This thread is epic!

Ok, I just started pvp'ing (thank you faithborn for bringing the right role for me into my mind) and maybe all of you remeber how this was when it all started. I'm not using any macros at all right now, since I didn't know anything about them. But here opens the portal to a bigger reality!

I could use some basic information first, if you don't mind.

First of all I need to get a feeling for what I'll actually want to be macroed. I'm running a lot of skills with two copies. Would it be a good idea to chain them all, in order to halve the keys needed? Sounds like a good idea to me and should be possible without questioning. So chaining ET3 for example freeing one keybind.

Since I'm pvp'ing, shield management reached a whole new lvl of attention and I'm not yet sure how to handle this problem properly. Distributing shields while hammering the fire all phasers button is a nice idea, what else could I bind it to? Or should I just get used to having 3 keybinds for the most needed shield actions (like distribute, aft shields, etc.)?

I'd really love to see some kind of summary of the keybinding of the more experienced players. Just to get an idea what else could be useful, since I'm quite sure there are damn useful things, I don't even think off. You might as well leave out your finest tricks, since you're the pros and worked hard to figure them out, I won't ask you to give this advantage to everyone ^^

Really nice thread overall, I'm ashamed I just discovered it yet. Would have made life so much easier.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    First off let me address the above. Keybinds have been in the game since the beginning. They were programmed into it. If you esc out to the options and got to the ... wait for it ... KEYBINDS tab. You will realize that you have been using keybinds since you first put finger to keyboard. There is no trickery involved.

nuff said. Now ...
    M4triX wrote:
    Omg... took me ages to finally find the real treasure. Here it is. This thread is epic!

glad you made it

Let me preface everything with a primer: Your trays are numbered 0 - 9 starting with the first row (the # keys) and scrolling up. Your powers are number 0 - 9 going left to right. So, with this, the #1 key is 0 0; the CTRL+6 combo is 1 5; so on. Finally, you CANNOT make an I WIN button. Every power that is bound to a key requires that key to be touched each time for each sequential power to be activated, e.g. tap, fire phasers, tap, fire torps, tap, EPtS, tap, Fire on my mark, you got the idea.

First of all I need to get a feeling for what I'll actually want to be macroed. I'm running a lot of skills with two copies. Would it be a good idea to chain them all, in order to halve the keys needed? Sounds like a good idea to me and should be possible without questioning. So chaining ET3 for example freeing one keybind.

Two copies of many heals are ideal to be chained on one key. I currently run ET1x2 or 1 & 2 off one key. If I, or a mate, need a heal, I hit one key and poof there's the best heal possible. It goes something like this:

/bind 8 +TrayExecByTray 0 7 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 7

Reading this the first TEBT is my #8 key and the second TEBT is my crtl+8 key. If you place ET2 on your 8 key and ET1 on your ctrl+8 key you can get what you are looking for. If one has been activated you have to wait for the shared cooldown for the other one to be available. First keypress activates the ET2. ET2 goes into cooldown (30s) and ET1 goes into shared cooldown (15s). If you press the key immediately there after, nothing will happen as both powers are in cooldown. After 15s ET1 is available for use.

Since I'm pvp'ing, shield management reached a whole new lvl of attention and I'm not yet sure how to handle this problem properly. Distributing shields while hammering the fire all phasers button is a nice idea, what else could I bind it to? Or should I just get used to having 3 keybinds for the most needed shield actions (like distribute, aft shields, etc.)?

Shield management is a bear to say the least. I've simplified my life with chaining EPtS3 and EPtS2 or EptS1. I have created a keybind that uses my space bar to fire all phasers and activate the first EPtS that is available. As with other EPtX there is a 30s cooldown. Everytime I press my spacebar my beam weapons fire off and the next EPtS is activated. If one is in cooldown, it just fires the weaps. It goes something like this:

/bind space GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers $$ +TrayExecByTray 3 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 3 5

Here +TrayExecByTray 3 4 is the 5th power on the 4th row (yes, you can use them to clear out the lower trays) and that is EPtS3
    +TrayExecByTray 3 5 is the 6th power on the 4th row and that is EPtS2

As above, If I press the spacebar the game fires all my beam weapons. Then I press it again and it goes to the TEBT 3 4. Another press and it goes to TEBT 3 5. As long as the cooldown is finished the first available power will activate.

I'd really love to see some kind of summary of the keybinding of the more experienced players. Just to get an idea what else could be useful, since I'm quite sure there are damn useful things, I don't even think off. You might as well leave out your finest tricks, since you're the pros and worked hard to figure them out, I won't ask you to give this advantage to everyone ^^

The above are real keybinds that I use; the space bar has been edited for length (I've got 9 powers atached to it.) Here are a few more

4 "+TrayExecByTray 0 0 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 3"
    This one activates my Aux battery (0 0) then is my EPtA (0 1) then my Tachyon Beam (0 3)

5 "+TrayExecByTray 0 2 $$ +TrayExecByTray 1 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 0 4"
    This one activates my EPtW (0 2) then my Beam Overlaod (1 4) then another Beam Overload (0 4)

F5 "GenJailAdd Hud_Weapons_Root $$ GenJailAdd Hud_Bridgecrew_Trays_Root" (This one is a little gem.) Since I run my power tray with all three row showing I loose my bridge officer tray. Since I pulled all my weapons out of the tray I can't see when my torps are ready. This changes that by first adding an HUD element that has my weapons *HUD_Weapons_Root" and puts my bridge officer tray back on screen "Hud_Bridgecrew_Trays_Root".

Really nice thread overall, I'm ashamed I just discovered it yet. Would have made life so much easier.

Don't worry about it; you are in good company. It took me 3 months to find out about keybinds and another month to figure it out.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for your reply.
    I figuered out how to use this stuff quite good already, didn't have a clue about it in STO but I macroed a lot in other mmos, so I just had to adapt to the syntax etc.

Dear god, your F5 binding is epic. I was going to complain about just that (no room in the 3 bars for weapons) and now look what you've got. Damn I love you now!

A lot of your stuff is nice but doesn't suit my needs. I'm a "faithborn disciple", so I'm not that into carelessly spamming selfdefense. But I see the potential of doing so, maybe I'll look into it if I pvp with another toon.

Well, absolutely nice and helpful post overall. Thanks a lot, dear sir!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    M4triX wrote:
    I'm a "faithborn disciple", so I'm not that into carelessly spamming selfdefense.

The self defense you call spamming (chained EPtS) I call maximizing shield resistace.
    M4triX wrote:
    Well, absolutely nice and helpful post overall. Thanks a lot, dear sir!

Anytime. Glad I could help. If you need more I watch this thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The only caveat about binds like this:

/bind space GenSendMessage HUD_Root FirePhasers $$ +TrayExecByTray 3 4 $$ +TrayExecByTray 3 5

is that, as they get longer, there is a chance for it to simply ignore keys (i.e. NEITHER ET might fire.)

Of course, the answer is simple - more spacebar!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    F5 "GenJailAdd Hud_Weapons_Root $$ GenJailAdd Hud_Bridgecrew_Trays_Root" (This one is a little gem.) Since I run my power tray with all three row showing I loose my bridge officer tray. Since I pulled all my weapons out of the tray I can't see when my torps are ready. This changes that by first adding an HUD element that has my weapons *HUD_Weapons_Root" and puts my bridge officer tray back on screen "Hud_Bridgecrew_Trays_Root".
    Tranceaddict, thanks for your primer/info to M4triX, it was helpful. I've been using a few basic binds for a while, and now that I'm comfortable with those, I'm starting to add more, and I've this thread (and posts like yours) to thank for it!

Anyway, can you please explain your F5 binding in further detail? I don't understand what it does.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If you don't mind, I'll explain.

When you switch your bar view to 3 rows, the weapons display and the BO layout will disappear. If you now use this binding, you can show 3 bars with 10 buttons + the weapons display and the bo layout. Absolutely lovely!

You'll have to push the button everytime you change zone/die/etc. But that's a minor price to pay imho
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    M4triX wrote:
    If you don't mind, I'll explain.

When you switch your bar view to 3 rows, the weapons display and the BO layout will disappear. If you now use this binding, you can show 3 bars with 10 buttons + the weapons display and the bo layout. Absolutely lovely!

You'll have to push the button everytime you change zone/die/etc. But that's a minor price to pay imho
    Re-hee-hee-hee-ealllleee??? Wow. That sounds Grand! I'll have to try it out. Thank you!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Naevius wrote:
    The only caveat about binds like this:

is that, as they get longer, there is a chance for it to simply ignore keys (i.e. NEITHER ET might fire.)

Of course, the answer is simple - more spacebar!

You are correct; the resolution to that is to not spam the space bar. Many, many MANY players in this game spam their fire button (space bar, generally) like RiverDance performing on the keyboard. What they fail to realize that a one second keypress is sufficient to fire off all your beam weapons.

By HAVING to slow my use I have found that I am not panicky and MUCH more calm. I am more concentrated in my battles and can actually take a big-picture of the battlefield.

GENERAL ADVICE: SLOW DOWN. Battle is quick and dynamic, but not so much that you need to elevate your heart rate to the point of fibrillation.

PatricianVetinari, did that answer your question? If you just want to see what these HUD elements look like you can type the following into your chat window separately. When you switch instances they will clear from your screen.

/GenJailAdd Hud_Weapons_Root

/GenJailAdd Hud_Bridgecrew_Trays_Root
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Here is another li'l gem: /GenJailUnlock 1

Have you ever tried to reposition your HUD elements and found that some overlap? Using the main menu's "Rearrange HUD" has it's drawbacks. By using the above command you unlock the positions of all you HUD elements as they appear on you screen.

Now, you can drag each element to the position you want. When complete just type the command again as: /GenJailUnlock 0. Now your elements are locked in position once more.

Here is my HUD. You can see that I've moved the MSD to the lower right corner and stacked the Engine slider and Presets on top. Above that is the team HUD and above that(you can't see it) is the target self HUD. I've pushed my power tray to the lower left and stacked the Weapons HUD element on top with the BridgeCrew Tray along the bottom. I've also move the target lock HUD and target of my target HUD (you can't see that one here) down from the top to the bottom.

screenshot_2010-11-01-17-47-35.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Here is another li'l gem: /GenJailUnlock 1

Have you ever tried to reposition your HUD elements and found that some overlap? Using the main menu's "Rearrange HUD" has it's drawbacks. By using the above command you unlock the positions of all you HUD elements as they appear on you screen.

Now, you can drag each element to the position you want. When complete just type the command again as: /GenJailUnlock 0. Now your elements are locked in position once more.

Here is my HUD. You can see that I've moved the MSD to the lower right corner and stacked the Engine slider and Presets on top. Above that is the team HUD and above that(you can't see it) is the target self HUD. I've pushed my power tray to the lower left and stacked the Weapons HUD element on top with the BridgeCrew Tray along the bottom. I've also move the target lock HUD and target of my target HUD (you can't see that one here) down from the top to the bottom.

screenshot_2010-11-01-17-47-35.jpg

:eek: HaxZ0Rz

*kneelsdown* "Will you marry me?"
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sry for double post...

Is there any way to access Boff abilities on the ground? Spamming all turrets of my engi boffs would be awesome with a single button :P
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Surely there is just need to figure out the commands..
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Omg, if you really manage to do that, I'll create a little Zorena shrine and praise you every night before I go to sleep!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I haven't done anything with my ground (i'm not spec'd at all for ground) so I never worried about it, but it should be exactly the same way.

When you are on the ground (you must be on the ground)

/bind_save_file keybinds_ground (this will save a file to your STO Live folder for ground binds)

open that file and put this in and fill in the <> for your setup:

<key> "+TrayExecByTray <> <> $$ ... "

(Or screenshot your power tray and I'll give you something more exact.)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, I would have figuered that myself. But on ground, BO abilities are not accessible via the action bars. Even if you switch to 3 row display, they'll still be shown next to the Boff's icon in the group frame. And that's why I thought it wouldn't be possible at all.
This discussion has been closed.