Install Arc
Options

A more "civil" discussion on the RAF program and its folly

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    I disagree on both of the OP's points. I have a friend who is a long-time MMO player. Last month, I sent him my buddy key, he gave the game a shot, and he liked it. Quite a lot, and the game at that time certainly lacked even a lot of the features it has now. He has some financial considerations which have preventing from puchasing a sub just yet, but he intends to.

As for the All Good Things Galaxy...I think it's a fine reward for the referral program. It's not "exclusive" to anybody in that we all have a chance to earn it. Sure, it's hard to get 5 friends to try the game - I don't have a hope in hell, personally - but it's a highly desirable reward for a very difficult task.

Would I be opposed to Cryptic lowering the referral requirement to, say, 3 friends? No, that would be fine. But if they want to leave it as-is, that's cool to. It's certainly not what I would call a "folly," though you're free to disagree. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GM_Destra wrote:
    I've placed this discussion in the feedback forums we just created for C-Store items and Promotions.

GM_Destra, I sent you a PM, please get back to me as soon as posible, thank you.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wildcat84 wrote: »
    IE, you want to "ghetto" off discussion of your RMT stuff so that they don't appear in the most read forums.

The Smed is strong in this one.

Yeah that was my first thought as well. :o
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hey GM_Destra.

I’m personally sad to hear that, since I have already “recruited” two people to join the game. I know your system doesn’t work with the other system, but how about you make it work or some other way arrange people to get “credit” for the people they already have recruited.

For example, I got one friend to play, buy and pay for the game and playtime through my Collectors Edition “Friends trail” card. Now I have the card still and the code he used from it, so I could in theory easily point out his @handler and what code he used for starting the trail. So that would be one way to do those.

Now onto the other friends that I used your “Buddy Codes” where we got a code from the website by selecting that service and then it send of a code to me that I then forwarded to him, whereas he also played, bought and played for subscription time. Once again I can point you to his @handler and also provide the code he started the trail on.

So both these ways we could prove to have recruited people already through your own options/services.

I know your system wasn’t made for retroactive perspective, but that does not mean that it cannot be altered for it to work in the fairness of people recruiting friends early so that we can have a wider player basis.

So I personally would really appreciate if you would be as kind and take this up with whomever it might concern.

Kind Regards
    Adfectio
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is (yet another) step in the wrong direction. AoC has a new expansion coming out next week, I'm seriously considering giving that game another try.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GM_Destra, I've been looking over the "refer a friend" program and thinking about the consequences. I've come to the conclusion that the player who is referred to STO should also get something special to keep, such as a Tribble or a Uniform Code, which will give people who are not playing the game the incentive to give STO a chance for a month.

At present the current system does not really give anything special to the potential new player and if I was the player being referred, I would definitely give it a go if I was going to get something special.

The ability to travel to your new friend for 30 days and the bonuses when teamed up are just not incentive enough in my opinion, but just a suggestion, although it may be to late.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Where is your proof of this? Please link to actual data that can show this is what will happen with STO.

I don't need proof I've actually entertained the notion, but my income is too thin and I have a '56 Ford F-100 that demands that money for an engine/trans swap and a paint job. What's more important in life having that cool virtual uber ship that will eventually be obsolete or driving an already obsolete pickup that's PINK! Why did the previous owner have to paint it PINK!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    LordTareq wrote: »
    This is (yet another) step in the wrong direction. AoC has a new expansion coming out next week, I'm seriously considering giving that game another try.

Why did you stop playing that game in the first place?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Alecto wrote: »
    GM_Destra, I've been looking over the "refer a friend" program and thinking about the consequences. I've come to the conclusion that the player who is referred to STO should also get something special to keep, such as a Tribble or a Uniform Code, which will give people who are not playing the game the incentive to give STO a chance for a month.

At present the current system does not really give anything special to the potential new player and if I was the player being referred, I would definitely give it a go if I was going to get something special.

The ability to travel to your new friend for 30 days and the bonuses when teamed up are just not incentive enough in my opinion, but just a suggestion, although it may be to late.

I agree. There has to be an incentive for a friend to join up. If the game were more polished, then no incentive would be neccessary. But then the RAF program wouldn't be neccessary either.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GM_Destra, will we be able to refer more than 5 people? Currently the system only allows us to invite 5 people and also, can you explain if we are able to invite players who have already played the game, but no longer have active subscriptions please?

Thank you!
    :)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This whole RAF debacle saddens me. In some largely inexplicable way I feel that there's been a line crossed between we the customers and Atari/Cryptic the people we pay to play the game. I'll try to sum up why I'm bothered by the Galaxy-X being tied to the referral program as best I can.

We pay to access what content there is in the game and even though I've been supportive of the C-Store (both ideologically and monetarily!), I still feel that for the price we pay we should have access to just about everything in game. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have to unlock items through missions or through in-game effort, just that if we put the time in, we should be able to all get what stuff there is. Now, however, there's this new RAF program that offers exclusive items that are only achievable by actions completed outside the game. Moreover, they're not all just vanity items, for pure coolness factor-- which I'd have no problem with-- they feature an iconic and much-demanded item that looks as if it will have special properties that none of the other ships we currently have access to have.

This is what bothers me. Yes, yes, maybe I'm caught up in the entitlement generation. Nevertheless, I paid for a year's subscription to Cryptic with the notion that my money would provide a level playing field. Along comes Galaxy-X, which does not figure to be in the same category as the TOS Connie ship or the Borg Bridge Officer or the TOS miniskirt, but upsets the whole notion of fair play for fair pay.

I'm disappointed in Cryptic/Atari for taking this step, particularly after the profoundly negative feedback from the community. I'm disappointed in Cryptic/Atari for alienating its current playerbase in order to solicit more subs. And I'm disappointed in Cryptic/Atari for this new business model that puts truly "special" items outside the reach of its regular subscribers, whether it's for sale in the C-Store or dependent on getting another set of people to play the game.

Really, however, I'm most disappointed that someone with power in the company didn't say to themselves, "Self, this ship is so awesome and iconic and wonderful that I just know our players are going to be unhappy that's it's only for the RAF program. Let's give them another way to get their hands on it, too." Instead they've made it very clear that they are more interested in incentivizing players pulling in new subs than giving those players what they've wanted and asked for since day one.

Bad form, bad form.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    upsets the whole notion of fair play for fair pay.

I adore your post in general, and I am stealing the above words for future use.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I adore your post in general.
    Same here. Well done TheCapitaine... a very reasonable and thought provoking post. :D
    Really, however, I'm most disappointed that someone with power in the company didn't say to themselves, "Self, this ship is so awesome and iconic and wonderful that I just know our players are going to be unhappy that's it's only for the RAF program. Let's give them another way to get their hands on it, too." Instead they've made it very clear that they are more interested in incentivizing players pulling in new subs than giving those players what they've wanted and asked for since day one.
    And after reading this, I don't know whats worse... that the higher ups didn't think this move would enrage their ebstablished customers or that they didn't care if it did. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Compared to other mmos that launched with about 6 solid months of content (such as wow and I believe Guild Wars) most of my friends when I mentioned how you can play through 90% of the content and reach the RA 5 level cap in a month and a half (3-4 weeks if you are hard core) they looked at me like :eek: :confused: and just laughed at the idea of paying not only for the game, but monthly for a sub to it on top of c-store MT's for additional content when the game is still very much lacking in well; everything?

Those star trek fans that do join are very likey to get bored in 2 months or less and quite possibly frustrated at the lack of content/repetitive game play at this state of things and leave with no intention of returning and feel jipped our of their cash. (and rightfully so)

(Not to mention prospective players likely keep an eye on these forums and know full well the lack of content and bugs that currently are present and the subscription bleed rate.)

Unless they change to the GW format of "free to play after purchase" and then profit off of c-store MT's (Much like guildwars does) I have doubts very many people will find 1 let alone 5 players to con into paying for a sub.

Now if it was "get 5 friends to play a trial demo" then that'd be another story entirely.....

As an aside, I couldn't agree more with what Captaine said of "Fair play for fair pay" and if they let this slide, it sets a nasty precedent for future "promotional offers" further tipping the balance out of fairness and isn't a company I (or others I suspect) would continue to support with their cash.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Where is your proof of this? Please link to actual data that can show this is what will happen with STO.

This is what I will have to do. None of my friends PC game. I am in Law Enforcement and cannot solicit coworkers.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, it's a real shame that at least SOME of the races haven't been added to the game for free...

At least SOME content is being added for free...

Honestly though, I'd rather they just add mid-range level content for free and give us free races and make us buy ship costumes, character costumes, bridge layouts and pay for access to things like the end game STFs...

However, I'm glad this thing is locked behind Cryptic getting more subs...I don't want everyone to easily get this ship. It's way too powerful for everyone to be able to get it. It's so powerful that unless this thing costs like 30 bucks EVERYONE would get it...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't mind the ship being exclusive, I just think 5 referrals is excessive. WoW requires 1, and considering most MMO's follow their lead, I'm a bit surprised by this number. I'm also hoping that if this ship does have a cloaking device, more Federation ships will as well.

Maybe the new Defiant class will have one?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wildcat84 wrote: »
    I object to it simply because this is basically nothing more than a ~$200 cash grab designed to artificially inflate the subscriber numbers without actually increasing the number of players.

The majority of the people who get these rewards will be purchasing the accounts themselves. This is how this exact same scheme has worked on SOE games (not surprising, since Cryptic's CEO used to be in charge of this sort of thing at SOE).

That isn't exclusive to SOE. Even Blizzard gives out unique mounts for "referring a friend", and their numbers get artificially inflated as well for the same reasons (people buying additional accounts for the mount). In fact, they've just switched up the mount reward - meaning people who did this once will probably do it all over again.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:
    That isn't exclusive to SOE. Even Blizzard gives out unique mounts for "referring a friend", and their numbers get artificially inflated as well for the same reasons (people buying additional accounts for the mount). In fact, they've just switched up the mount reward - meaning people who did this once will probably do it all over again.

On the other hand, WoW just does it with mounts, and the unique feature of the new one just lets you play chauffeur for your friends. I usually can't resist the opportunity to verbally abuse WoW in some fashion, but I have to say that that's the single most brilliant recruiter reward I've ever heard of. An exclusive way to pew pew? Not so much.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well first, nice the Federation gets yet ANOTHER ship...why isnt there a list of ships to choose from...say some new Klingon ship the player might choose instead?
    More and more it STILL seems to play out that the only faction Cryptic cares about is Federation.
    If this mentality does not eventually change the game will die. It will have no long lasting sustainability as a viable MMO...especially not one where faction vs faction pvp was a theme.
    I mean really, c'mon, this isnt rocket science here, you can't tell me theres NO ONE in the studios who thought "umm, guys, what about a ship for the OTHER Faction?"
    Or did he get shushed and made to go fetch coffee and doughnuts while the rest of the staff planned?

As far as the Galaxy-X. This should be just a skin.....for the love of god..no cloak for the Federation please!
    They don't need it and it would only make a bad thing worse. I'm not even going into the details on why this would be bad....theres entire forums awash with it.
    Yes it would be a cool skin.....give it perhaps some other cool weapon (whatever that spinal mount looking cannon was) but leave the cloak out of it.

And at least TRY and PRETEND you care about the Ridgeheads........don't just offer the Galaxy-X, offer a new Klingon ship and have the player choose from ONE of the two please. At least make it look like you care for the boys on the other ide of the nuetral zone.