Install Arc
Options

Power Hue Disabled!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    What's that from? I'd assume the Borg engagement of BoBW2 but the Borg's tractor beam is blue and I never saw the behavior you're describing from the other phasers...

It's BoBW1 18 minutes and 38 minutes.

As to you seeing the two technologies are different, thats fine but let me ask this. When worf and riker are talking they correlate the phasers on the ship to the same as the hand units. Would that not mean the technology is the same?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Talamakara wrote: »
    It's BoBW1 18 minutes and 38 minutes.

As to you seeing the two technologies are different, thats fine but let me ask this. When worf and riker are talking they correlate the phasers on the ship to the same as the hand units. Would that not mean the technology is the same?

It means they have similar settings and maybe some of the same capabilities, but the technologies can still be different. Windows and Mac OS can have similar options but there underlying code is quite different.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It means they have similar settings and maybe some of the same capabilities, but the technologies can still be different. Windows and Mac OS can have similar options but there underlying code is quite different.

Won't argue that, but when using the examples i've given and seeing both shoot the exact same colors, i think it would be safe to bet they are the same technology.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Did you go back and look?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone else have any examples they would like to share, or voice their opinions on this matter?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    dstahl wrote: »
    The real issue is that game mechanics rely on players being able to discern types of energy damage based on the visual fx of the attack. It greatly impacts PVP as players need to quickly identify threats based on the type of damage or attacks they are using. From a design stand point, allowing color customization is the same problem as allowing a Borg cube to change costume into a Danube Shuttlecraft but deal the same amount of damage.

The second issue is, during numerous CBS approvals, we've reviewed details down to the types of labels on turbolift doors. I don't think purple or pink phasers are going to fly with them when we've been asked to update things far less noticeable than that.

It was a fun bug, but I really don't see this coming back. Sorry.

Thanks for the sitrep. I sort of figured that was the situation.

On a side note, do you see the option being enabled for color blind people? Surely CBS would not have an issue with that if it is something that you can clearly control.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I didn't expect it to come back purely due to the PvP aspect.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anyone else have any examples they would like to share, or voice their opinions on this matter?

Yes I would like to tell you why you cant have pink phasers. The colour pink does not exist. It is a figment of the human mind, and is not part of the light spectrum.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yes I would like to tell you why you cant have pink phasers. The colour pink does not exist. It is a figment of the human mind, and is not part of the light spectrum.

Anywhere in any of my posts did I say i wanted pink? Nope, that was your assumption. I'd be more than happy with purple, and like i said i want black quantum torpedoes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Anywhere in any of my posts did I say i wanted pink? Nope, that was your assumption. I'd be more than happy with purple, and like i said i want black quantum torpedoes.

Black isnt a colour either, its an absence of colour :) (and light)

edit: if ya really want black torpedos, you could pretend to shoot one, imagine the invisible torpedo flying away from your ship, and make a big 'whoosh' noise, at the appropriate time of impact :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Black isnt a colour either, its an absence of colour :) (and light)

edit: if ya really want black torpedos, you could pretend to shoot one, imagine the invisible torpedo flying away from your ship, and make a big 'whoosh' noise, at the appropriate time of impact :)

I'd like to point out that anything displayed on your monitor has to be recognizable to the human eye. this means black is fully possible to be displayed.

I'd also like to point out IF black was truly and absence of color so is white, but as there is color to everything we see, it means a black torpedo would show up clear as day by displacing all the color around it. So in essence you could very easily see a black torpedo.

Plus like i said the monitor has a forced color display and from a hardware perspective if you can see black on ANYTHING inside your monitor you would be able to see a black photon because it's being lit by the back of the screen.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'd like to point out that anything displayed on your monitor has to be recognizable to the human eye. this means black is fully possible to be displayed.

I'd also like to point out IF black was truly and absence of color so is white, but as there is color to everything we see, it means a black torpedo would show up clear as day by displacing all the color around it. So in essence you could very easily see a black torpedo.

Plus like i said the monitor has a forced color display and from a hardware perspective if you can see black on ANYTHING inside your monitor you would be able to see a black photon because it's being lit by the back of the screen.

Wow. So many misconceptions about how computer displays and color works its a little scary...

1) There is no such thing as black light. Black is the absence of light.
    2) White is not actually a single color of light, and a combination of all colors of light.
    3) LCDs displays produce blacks by preventing as much of the backlight from leaking through the display as possible. (see #1)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I'd also like to point out IF black was truly and absence of color so is white, but as there is color to everything we see

Guess somone doesnt understand colours. There is no 'if' its established via science that black is the absence of light, and without light you cannot have colour :)

White is not the absence of light, and it is a colour insofar as it is the combination of all colours in the light spectum. You could not describe white as the absence of colour, because this would be patently incorect.

It seems you dont mind being incorect though, so this shouldnt bother you too much either.

You said you wanted purple energy weapons in the game, they are already there....
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This thread is still here long after the reasons for it should have passed into obscurity.

I smell trollery!!!!!

Although these last two posts make me smile at the human nature of educating the ignorant :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You guyes have no clue what your talking about, and teaching the ignorant, good atempt at comedy.

Back on topic.

Powerhue is somthing that should be put back in this game because it does fall under canon, and it adds to the enjoyment of the game game. What we need to do is complete a compromise. I'm personally not giving up till i get it back.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You guyes have no clue what your talking about, and teaching the ignorant, good atempt at comedy.

Yes we provide you with science based proven information that disproved your argument, and we have no idea what we are talking about?

Seriously, perhaps you would be better of spending some more time in education, than posting on these boards? :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Back on topic.

Powerhue is somthing that should be put back in this game because it does fall under canon, and it adds to the enjoyment of the game game. What we need to do is complete a compromise. I'm personally not giving up till i get it back.

just so you know what they said about black being the absence of light and colour cant exist without light. That's absolutely correct, for a scientific perspective anyway.

As for powerhue and cannon, people have previously pointed out that it's not cannon and the episodes you quoted when looking at the DVD not a low res online stream, show you are wrong, or you are trying to point out bad 1980's graphics glitches as "proof" of colour customization.

either way it doesn't matter as powerhue will not be coming back in, it was a bug, it effected game mechanics, cryptic don't want it in and the devs have already said CBS will not allow it. End of debate. sorry.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

They were absolutely correct in their explanations.

Stupidity = purposeful ignorance.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

All my attempts at comedy are good, provided you accept the fact I have a singular wit and I only care if I'm making myself laugh.

And honestly,
    You. Are. Funny.
    Back on topic.

Wait are you actually serious, you're not giving up till you get it back....

Ignorance doesn't even begin to describe that, in face of what the devs have already stated concerning it, thats beyond naive, ignorant or even plain downright stubborn.

Just out of curiosity were you also one of those people who felt cancelling your sub was the sensible way to get Sony to change they're mind about SWG's NGE upgrade?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mothball wrote: »
    just so you know what they said about black being the absence of light and colour cant exist without light. That's absolutely correct, for a scientific perspective anyway.

As for powerhue and cannon, people have previously pointed out that it's not cannon and the episodes you quoted when looking at the DVD not a low res online stream, show you are wrong, or you are trying to point out bad 1980's graphics glitches as "proof" of colour customization.

either way it doesn't matter as powerhue will not be coming back in, it was a bug, it effected game mechanics, cryptic don't want it in and the devs have already said CBS will not allow it. End of debate. sorry.

Please explain how two different scenes from two different parts of an episode are low res tv glitches?? Are you so inamored by canon you have to disprove something with lies. Do you need me to take a screen shot from each scene and prove it???

As to your proof, that black is the absence of light that is not possible. The reality is this, or should i say the scientific theory is that because light is a form of energy and energy is indestructible only transmutable it can never be destroyed, that means that everything has a form of light emission to it depending on how you see it.

The only thing this theory puts into exception are black holes, because the theory goes that the gravity they emit is so powerful that even light is absorbed into it and can not escape. If you were to find thr other end of a black hole in theory it should be almost spraying out light.

You want to start arguing science and scientific theory, lets play,

As to the powerhue, what was the lamest excuse by Dashal has become the canon lovers guiding start. To bad it's not really evidence, only that you believe it is.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Just out of curiosity were you also one of those people who felt cancelling your sub was the sensible way to get Sony to change they're mind about SWG's NGE upgrade?
    Never played it, not a big star wars fan.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Never played it, not a big star wars fan.

O.k, just curious as I said, you seem to have the same outlook they did, and it didn't get them very far.. or indeed. anywhere at all.

Might want to look that up for tips on how not to run your campaign.

Not that I'm implying you intend to do as they do, just so you know what to expect from the Devs as a response.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As to your proof, that black is the absence of light that is not possible. The reality is this, or should i say the scientific theory is that because light is a form of energy and energy is indestructible only transmutable it can never be destroyed, that means that everything has a form of light emission to it depending on how you see it.

The only thing this theory puts into exception are black holes, because the theory goes that the gravity they emit is so powerful that even light is absorbed into it and can not escape. If you were to find thr other end of a black hole in theory it should be almost spraying out light.

Your understanding of science makes me cringe, and mixing sciencetific fact with your pseudo science 'additions' even more so.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010

You want to start arguing science and scientific theory, lets play.

OK but just so you know, I have an MSc by research and I am currently in my 1st of my PhD. Oh MSc is a master in science, in case you didn't know what that means.

" energy is indestructible only transmutable it can never be destroyed" you are forgetting the most important part of the conservation of energy, it only applies in isolated or closed system. Uneducated people in the areas of science always forget this part. Also just so you know the universe is considered an open system, hence heat death. This is still hypothesis though.

As for black the "colour" black is a name we put on our eyes seeing the absence of light. Colour is simply are eyes interpretation different electromagnetic radiation of different wavelengths, some wavelengths we can't see. Black in it simplest definition is the colour of objects that do not emit or reflect light in any part of the visible spectrum. A material is said to be black if most incoming light is absorbed equally in the material. The the light is absorbed and then converted into other energy forms usually heat.

As for your black hole, you are wrong again. They actually don't absorb everything. They emit hawking radiation.

"If you were to find thr other end of a black hole in theory it should be almost spraying out light. "

this is insanely bad science. black holes do not have "other sides" they are a super dense object with gigantic masses that form a singularity, anything absorbed becomes a part of the singularity. There is no other end of BHs, you need to stop reading science fiction books and help yourself to a science text.

If you don't want to read large books on physics, even try wiki for gods sake!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mothball wrote: »
    OK but just so you know, I have an MSc by research and I am currently in my 1st of my PhD. Oh MSc is a master in science, in case you didn't know what that means.

I'm taking this to PMs

As to the powerhue, that will stay here. I want the ability to change my phaser color, and like i said i'm going to continue till i get the ability.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm taking this to PMs

What the matter? dont want to publicly humiliate yourself with pseudoscience theories any more? :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What the matter? dont want to publicly humiliate yourself with pseudoscience theories any more? :)

If i'm wrong i'd rather learn true information from someone with a qualified education. I don't think you count.

Now back on topic I don't want this thread to be locked because I will start as many as it takes.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If i'm wrong i'd rather learn true information from someone with a qualified education. I don't think you count.

Haha, if you only knew. (and no i'm not going to tell ya :))

Hope he gives you a good education, you need it. :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Haha, if you only knew. (and no i'm not going to tell ya :))

Ignorance is bliss.