Install Arc
Options

So Steam screwed me. 10Gb patch.

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Gilthanaz wrote: »
    Come on guys. Happened to me too. Dont get all apeshit about it! Steam got a notification that the game was released. The clients differ, also the product name ("ST Online Beta" != "ST Online"), so naturally the software thought its time for an update. Oh, surprise! Product identifier changed, gotta redownload!

Read your steam logs, they talk to you ;)

Yes, its not really nice, its not really okay...

But grab a martini or vodka or whatever you like, given that you're old enough to drink where you live, and relax. This was a better start for a MMORPG than most others in the last decade.

_ G

Yup relax. I mean I am at 15%, and have been downloading since right after launch.

No big deal, not like I set aside the day for this or anything.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    -Prophet- wrote: »
    Yup relax. I mean I am at 15%, and have been downloading since right after launch.

You forgot to add the /sarcasm.. lol

I'm beating you! I'm at 16.2% !! Wanna have a race?? I'll lose but until then, its on? hehe
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    bodean wrote:

You think they really care?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TheMove wrote: »
    How come my steam is re downloading STO Beta still then? Would it just be Star Trek Online?

can anyone explain this before I re Download the hwol ething to have to do it all over for a 3rd time?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, please tell us, once this is re-downloaded, how do we avoid Steam thinking it has to DL again?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Exactly, and Steam's people knew this was going down , and damn well had to know it would play out horribly for public relations. Knowing full well that lots of people set aside a "launch day". And they did it any way with out so much as a peep.

Sad no word from Cryptic on this issue. They were happy enough to take our money, yet wont speak up on the issue. Not just "Steam" users with this issue
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    -Prophet- wrote: »

Exactly, and Steam's people knew this was going down , and damn well had to know it would play out horribly for public relations. Knowing full well that lots of people set aside a "launch day". And they did it any way with out so much as a peep.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DieScream wrote: »
    Yes, please tell us, once this is re-downloaded, how do we avoid Steam thinking it has to DL again?

Right click > properties > updates > do not auto update
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    can anyone explain this before I re Download the hwol ething to have to do it all over for a 3rd time?

Beats me my auto update was set to " DO NOT TOUCH THIS" , and steam did it anyway.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Both STEAM & Cryptic are to blame. Someone needs to speak up from one of the two camps, SOON.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Why the heck is Steam apparently DLing the beta client over again? Shouldn't it be just STO, or STO Retail or something? I got a bad feeling once this is done, Steam will just do it all over again.

If that happens my head will aspode.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    pfft...updating is soooo slow...mine is at 49% and that was from 10:30 a.m. this moring.

*sighs*
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Doh I was hoping it was 10gig of speedos, flip-flops and gold chains for my toon. I do find it funny that people are that upset about stuff like this.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Don't use the steam version it will just delete itself next time you run it , least till they patch it - this is a Steam problem not Cryptic.. and oh boy won't Cryptic love them for this - means the patch servers are being maxed out resending 10gb files to all steam users... all of them......
    If I were Cryptic I'd be going ballistic at Steam - today of all days they don't need extra traffic like that.
    Meanwhile, if you have a beta client use that - i still had one I downloaded from fileplanet about 2 weeks ago - if you havent , i'm sure they will still be around on gamershell and the like.
    Take the beta client install and patch around 800mb ... and your good to go... you could copy this into the appropriate directory in steam, but personally I wont let steam near STO again on my main rig, if we need another key after headstart I'll load steam up on the laptop and grab it from there.
    You know if i were Cryptic and this extra traffic was adversly affecting my launch i'd be tempted to point a lawyer at Steam .. I mean 10gb of data from that many customers over and over it beggars belief.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Don't use the steam version it will just delete itself next time you run it , least till they patch it - this is a Steam problem not Cryptic.. and oh boy won't Cryptic love them for this - means the patch servers are being maxed out resending 10gb files to all steam users... all of them......
    If I were Cryptic I'd be going ballistic at Steam - today of all days they don't need extra traffic like that.
    Meanwhile, if you have a beta client use that - i still had one I downloaded from fileplanet about 2 weeks ago - if you havent , i'm sure they will still be around on gamershell and the like.
    Take the beta client install and patch around 800mb ... and your good to go... you could copy this into the appropriate directory in steam, but personally I wont let steam near STO again on my main rig, if we need another key after headstart I'll load steam up on the laptop and grab it from there.
    You know if i were Cryptic and this extra traffic was adversly affecting my launch i'd be tempted to point a lawyer at Steam .. I mean 10gb of data from that many customers over and over it beggars belief.

I hadn't looked at it that way. I can imagine all Steam users DLing 10gb each must be a strain Cryptic didn't need.

Pls answer this: I have a torrent of the beta client. If this 10gb DL does not work or whatever, How do I use the torrent instead?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    4 1/2 hours after launch, still no word from STEAM or Cryptic on this issue. Pathetic.
    :confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I ran into this problem, and decided to just patch through the STO Launcher... and then at about 1.5gig left to patch... the launcher claimed to have a problem and then RESTARTED the patch download from scratch. ARGH.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I hadn't looked at it that way. I can imagine all Steam users DLing 10gb each must be a strain Cryptic didn't need.

Pls answer this: I have a torrent of the beta client. If this 10gb DL does not work or whatever, How do I use the torrent instead?

The 10gigs comes from Steams servers not Cryptics. So its not putting a strain on Cryptic.

Again for the last time its just what Steam does when a game comes out of Beta... This is not new and you should have actually expected it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm at 20.7% now! Over 1/5th done! My guesstimation is I won't be able to stay awake long enough for it to finish... I'll just keep updating this thread. =) Soooo... I like stuff.. Do you like stuff too? :o
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm just worried this thing will finish (someday:rolleyes:) and instead of Engage, it will pop back up with Patch and I'll see 2Kb / 9258Mb again.:(
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Nope, the strain of redownloading the game thanks to the steam fubar is currently on Valve's servers, not Cryptic's. Best suggestion I have for you is to copy the download from steam and paste it somewhere safe, just in case it tries to delete it again... But if you really want to use the torrent route, you need a piece of torrent software... I'd recommend Utorrent for example. Once the software is installed, you just need a link to the torrent file, the software will start up and it will download.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DieScream,
    Go into your steam client and right click STO > Propertes > Updates
    Set the drop down box to DISABLE updates for this product.

now go to your steam install folder>steamapps>common>sto
    you should see a list of files and folders including a CO folder (nfi why since i have no CO install), directx redistrib etc, amongst the files (not folders) will be a file named Star Trek Online.exe
    Right Click>send to desktop

whenever you want to run STO use and update from that icon. It will leave STO in your Steam Games list, you wont be forced by steam to patch it and you will still be able to view your retail key via the context menu when it is made available. You can't if you delete it from your games list - i tried when this first started happening.

I hope this is handy to you and others.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Full_Metal wrote: »
    The 10gigs comes from Steams servers not Cryptics. So its not putting a strain on Cryptic.

Again for the last time its just what Steam does when a game comes out of Beta... This is not new and you should have actually expected it.

Go to where the default steam folder location, which is normaly C:\Steam\Steamapps\common\start trek online.

Copy the Star Trek exe to desktop and run it from there from now on. Save having to use Steam at all this way. So will stop it from happening again. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Full_Metal wrote: »

Hi! You're wrong! I running the client outside Steam.. Steam isn't running, nor was it a Steam install in the first place.. I had a beta client from Fileplanet in a completely different install on my hard drive.. I am staring at 7.86 physical size on my folder properties, yet the launcher is downloading the entire client.. or a 8 gig patch.. Something tells me when this done, and I can run the game, the folder will still be around that size, making the download entirely redundant, and straining Cryptic servers not steam... Unless I'm completely missing something here, I'll allow you to explain it to me.... :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok so what do we do after we re download STO Beta from steam? How do I play the game not through steam?

I always buy all my games through steam and I am done with steam after this as I supported them so much.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    devilrage wrote:
    Go to where the defullt steam folder, which is. Steam\Steamapps\common\start trek online.

Copy the Star Trek exe to desktop and run it from there from now on. Save having to use Steam at all this way. So will stop it from happening again. :)

Ty for this post.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DieScream,
    Go into your steam client and right click STO > Propertes > Updates
    Set the drop down box to DISABLE updates for this product.

now go to your steam install folder>steamapps>common>sto
    you should see a list of files and folders including a CO folder (nfi why since i have no CO install), directx redistrib etc, amongst the files (not folders) will be a file named Star Trek Online.exe
    Right Click>send to desktop

whenever you want to run STO use and update from that icon. It will leave STO in your Steam Games list, you wont be forced by steam to patch it and you will still be able to view your retail key via the context menu when it is made available. You can't if you delete it from your games list - i tried when this first started happening.

I hope this is handy to you and others.

Mine was set this way and it still did it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mine wasn't and by changing it to this set up, it's taken steam out of the equation totall. I am at 80ish% of repatching.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    devilrage wrote:
    Go to where the default steam folder location, which is normaly C:\Steam\Steamapps\common\start trek online.

Make sure you set steam to not come on during boot, mine was in the background , with" do not update" and it still did it.

And i dont use steam to start the game either, i have a direct shortcut to the executable.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok so what do we do after we re download STO Beta from steam? How do I play the game not through steam?

I always buy all my games through steam and I am done with steam after this as I supported them so much.

Ah, so you have bought dozens of gamesfrom steam and due to one minor error your now done with them. Awsome, so glad to meet someone who never makes any mistakes ever, real privelage.
This discussion has been closed.