What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So Steam screwed me. 10Gb patch.

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Will a system restore fix this "little" problem ?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you dont want it to update tell steam dont update STO its an option...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    92% done on the 10gb download.

STEAM ===== FAIL
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes, I changed it. I was referring to the guy who talked of Windows making ghost files.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gillwynd wrote: »
    Mine was set to not automatically update through Steam and it did anyway. Luckily, only about an hour left to go. Still, it seems to be a colossal failure on someone's behalf.

ya same here it is so BS I have to wait 17-20 hours to go I am So PISED wtf stam and Cryptic have you heard of a Phone call.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DieScream wrote: »
    How do you do that, exactly? STO was my first and last buy from Steam.

I actually prefer Steam as it means I don't have to keep a stack of DVD's around to play these stupid games.

In this case, it was a learning experience. I will launch the game directly, circumventing Steam going forward. One of those "If they already have the game, then let the Games launcher do the updates" decisions they failed to observe.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So much for this 3 day wait only to be forced to sit thru a problematic patch... Well TIme to go watch tv while I wait... can't do much else..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Again I belive this is Steam Policy to redownload after a Beta... I have used steam for at least 5 betas so far and they all had to A be fully deleted B had to do a redownload of the game via a Patch.

Its the nature of the beast when it comes to Betas.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LET Steam know about the problem!!!

https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was kind of expecting this since it said BETA beside the name.

I prefer to let Steam do my patching, because if they release a patch next Tuesday, and I'm at work- when I get home it will be done downloading. I doubt this mistake of having to completely redownload the game will happen every patch. Only happened, because Steam thinks "Star Trek: Online BETA" and "Star Trek: Online" are two different games.

Ah well, I've been downloading the patch for about a half hour, and I'm almost 40% through, and after all this is still pre-release. Its all good.

I'm havin a good ol Molson Canadian while I wait :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I had 2 Open beta clients.. I had downloaded the fileplanet beta and then the one through steam... No matter which client I try to run, I'm having to download the 8-9 gig patch... I check the physical size of the cryptic folder and its over 7 gigs... So, is the final size after this patch over 15 Gigs?? Anyone know? What is the version number in the corner when you select your character? This is just bumming me out.. My max download is 180k/sec... At the very ****ing least, a heads up that we will have needed to redownload the whole ****ing game would have been nice... Head start huh.. Why is it lots of people don't have to redownload and others do?? My non steam install from fileplanet is making me download..

Yah so thanks.. Np guys, Just around 8 hours left to go again... :(:confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I get all my games from steam and not once have I had an issue.

Maybe it's steams fault this time, who knows, still my preferred method of getting games though.

Inconvienient, definitely. But get a grip people, its a fricken mmo, not like you're going to be starved of game time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yea, i'm pretty disappointed with steam right now too; downloaded the head start patch last night, and now I have to download the entire game again... not to mention that my download failed 3 times and a cryptic error thing popped up... download restarting... again... ellipses...

I was really looking forward to today. took the day off work, everything was perfect... and now I may as well have gone in.

taking the day off and not being able to play the game... I essentially just paid for a second lifetime sub -- Awesome.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am not thrilled either. I bought it through steam today after 30 minutes I am only at like 5%. I have a cable modem this is gonna take hours:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Senty wrote: »
    If it's because your download is slow:

File > Settings > Downloads

Pick a different nearby area.

Wish steam would publicize this. For me it meant going from 300 KB/s to 2.0 MB/s
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Heh.

So very glad im not using steam.

I have it on steam but im using my closed beta test game xD
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, i have found my old beta client setup.
    Installed this one, now the patcher patches 845MB instead of 10GB. nice!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kitsunami wrote: »
    Heh.

So very glad im not using steam.

I have it on steam but im using my closed beta test game xD

People who bought from Atari also having to dl 10gig client.
    Be prepared.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    only 2 more hours left on my steam download....way to waste my PTO
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok, i have found my old beta client setup.
    Installed this one, now the patcher patches 845MB instead of 10GB. nice!

Could you elaborate? In layman's terms? Help us out man!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

while doing this huge update i decided to start dawn of war 2, my STO update stoped then reset to ZERO.
    can you imagine how fracked off i am
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jehd80 wrote: »
    only 2 more hours left on my steam download....way to waste my PTO

Make sure you let STEAM KNOW! https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, make sure you set Steam to NOT manage updates for the game. I was ****ed over by this as well. At the moment i am repatching a beta client i downloaded from the 18th off my ISP's file mirror. A lot faster to dl that file (3x steams dl rate) and then update that client than wait for 10gb from Steam.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am pretty ****ed at steam right now too.
    I'm done with them, I will never buy anything with the STEAM or Valve on the label again for that matter.
    Not even a gold goddamn brick for a dollar.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Come on guys. Happened to me too. Dont get all apeshit about it! Steam got a notification that the game was released. The clients differ, also the product name ("ST Online Beta" != "ST Online"), so naturally the software thought its time for an update. Oh, surprise! Product identifier changed, gotta redownload!

Read your steam logs, they talk to you ;)

Yes, its not really nice, its not really okay...

But grab a martini or vodka or whatever you like, given that you're old enough to drink where you live, and relax. This was a better start for a MMORPG than most others in the last decade.

_ G
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Please answer me this.

I started this morning with my STO-Beta desktop icon (force of habit) per usual. Instead of the launcher popping up right away, a Steam box popped up saying updating STO-Beta. This one went fairly fast, maybe 1/2 hour.

Meanwhile, I started the STO-Retail (I have 2 separate icons) client from desktop. The Steam update finished and went away. But I am now stuck with the Cryptic launcher updating the 10GB.

So what did Steam update that finished?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Sinun wrote:
    Mnay games from steam, and this is the only time it didn't do what it was supposed to, in a manner of speaking.

In short, Steam thinks it's managing the game, not a launcher tab to a game. It can't tell the difference. The company gets a "released" copy versus a "beta" copy, and tags it as an update, and that normally does just fine.

Whenever you have a game that uses a launcher tab that manages updates for itself, just right click on the game in your "My Games" list in Steam, at the bottom click "Properties" and select the "Updates" tab. From there, you have two choices, and for self-managed games (STO, or the like) you'd select "Do not automatically update this game".

Eventually, it will come in handy, because having to blow away OS', and new hardware requiring new installs of the OS over the years, simply hitting "download and install" makes rebuilds far more simplified than hunting around for discs I haven't seen in 2 years, or worse, finding said discs with scratches, or whatever pain my kids inflicted on them :)

Pros and cons to everything...

Mine was already set to not update and it did anyways.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gilthanaz wrote: »
    Come on guys. Happened to me too. Dont get all apeshit about it! Steam got a notification that the game was released. The clients differ, also the product name ("ST Online Beta" != "ST Online"), so naturally the software thought its time for an update. Oh, surprise! Product identifier changed, gotta redownload!

Read your steam logs, they talk to you ;)

Yes, its not really nice, its not really okay...

But grab a martini or vodka or whatever you like, given that you're old enough to drink where you live, and relax. This was a better start for a MMORPG than most others in the last decade.

_ G

Well in my Steam game list where it is re-downloading the client it still says Star Trek Online - Beta...should I be concerned. (it doesn't say beta on the directories under steam which I believe it did yesterday...not 100% on that one though)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How come my steam is re downloading STO Beta still then? Would it just be Star Trek Online?
This discussion has been closed.