Options

So Steam screwed me. 10Gb patch.

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    *whistles*

Fancy that ;)

Hence why you have to MOVE the folder to another partition. It might download again it is hasn't aleady done so. But after that you shouldn't need Steam at all...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Full_Metal wrote: »
    There has to be a setting in side of one of the game files/reg pointing to the wrong folder. Because I checked to see where it was "Updateing" to and it was installing back in to the steam folder even after Steam is closed... This is a Cryptic issue here that needs to be fixed.

Actually it's a Steam Issue. Something somewhere in steams setup is Brute forcing everything back into Steams control. I would bet if you uninstalled steam (i would test this but i don't want to have to reinstall my DA:O install) rebooted your pc and ran the cryptic installer then copied your install into the path made by the Cryptic Installer you wouldn't have this issue.

That is why i am moving my patched install to a PC without Steam. - it's essentially the same test, it takes Steam totally out of the equation.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It shouldnt require a re-download at all if you move it. Their is some string pointing to the folder its installed to checking for updates.

Even if you move the folder to a whole new drive (Like I did) and run the updater it will reinstall all the files to the original directory so you accomplish nothing lol.

Doh, ok thanks for letting me know!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Actually it's a Steam Issue. Something somewhere in steams setup is Brute forcing everything back into Steams control. I would bet if you uninstalled steam (i would test this but i don't want to have to reinstall my DA:O install) rebooted your pc and ran the cryptic installer then copied your install into the path made by the Cryptic Installer you wouldn't have this issue.

That is why i am moving my patched install to a PC without Steam. - it's essentially the same test.

Or use a different hard drive, like i have. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    devilrage wrote:
    Hence why you have to MOVE the folder to another partition. It might download again it is hasn't aleady done so. But after that you shouldn't need Steam at all...

It shouldnt require a re-download at all if you move it. Their is some string pointing to the folder its installed to checking for updates.

Even if you move the folder to a whole new drive (Like I did) and run the updater it will reinstall all the files to the original directory so you accomplish nothing lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, as the rest of you already know Steam starts from scratch. I have begun the 10gig download as well. Along with a few of my friends. All that I ask is that along with my own two cents I hope Cryptic gets on their case as to how they handle their patching... it would be much appreciated. And to Steam: You owe me 2.5 hours of my life. If I were near your company, I would consider throwing a rock through your window with unkind words written upon it. JK. But seriously I'm unhappy... I even shook my fist at my screen in un-tethered anger.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Think I found the String... Testing now...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've been starting from the game directly for a few weeks now and never had a problem, got the game running just fine at the moment :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Had the same thing happen to me this morning too. But 3 and a half hours later it was finished. PLaying it now :D stoopid steam, making me play mass effect 2 while i wait *shakes fist*
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I Redownloaded 10gig then 6gig through the launcher (not steam). Now when I start steam, will it redownload it, or am I safe?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am done with Steam for eternity.I will just wait till tuesday and buy the frikin box.I am not re downloading this whole thing.I have limited downloading a month.I can not paying for another 10 GB download to play the game 3 days early.D2D for me from now on.I love the game and do not mind paying for a collectors edition to get some cool junk,I will feel much better with a disc in hand.STEAM,WE ARE THRU.:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Leave steam out of the equation. Make sure you have a back up of your install and disable steams updating of STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yep fixed it any one know what the issue is?

Guess what its not steam its ****in Cryptic being dumb
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I dunno.. Weird.. I rebooted for the hell of it.. My Steam install was the one updating.. It is at 2.5gigs in size.. The second install is at 7.69 gigs in size.. So I decide to reboot and run the .exe from the second install.. I type in my account info which IS the account I tied my purchased game key from steam too! No matter what .exe I use, it continues to download into the steam apps install... lol.. I guess because I have a steam account... So no matter what install you use, if you are connecting with an account name created with the steam key, it will force the patcher to run from the steam install... Whereas during beta, I was running from both installs.. I knew this because during beta I had to individually patch each install depending on which one I clicked.

Its all tied to the steam account, so no matter what installation you use, it will need to re-download everything.. Lol.. Definitely a Steam issue.. However I'm still confused, so I'll just sit here staring at my download lol.. Weeeee :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yep fixed it any one know what the issue is?

Guess what its not steam its ****in Cryptic being dumb

Cool, what key. I'm sure posting it here would be useful to us as well as the DEVs, just remember to put a discalimer about messing with registry's.

Wait Steam has to be partly involved otherwise our clients wouldn't (those of us starting via steam - well used to start via steam) wouldn't have had their folders deleted before even getting in to STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Saskifried wrote:
    I dunno.. Weird.. I rebooted for the hell of it.. My Steam install was the one updating.. It is at 2.5gigs in size.. The second install is at 7.69 gigs in size.. So I decide to reboot and run the .exe from the second install.. I type in my account info which IS the account I tied my purchased game key from steam too! No matter what .exe I use, it continues to download into the steam apps install... lol.. I guess because I have a steam account... So no matter what install you use, if you are connecting with an account name created with the steam key, it will force the patcher to run from the steam install... Whereas during beta, I was running from both installs.. I knew this because during beta I had to individually patch each install depending on which one I clicked.

Its all tied to the steam account, so no matter what installation you use, it will need to re-download everything.. Lol.. Definitely a Steam issue.. However I'm still confused, so I'll just sit here staring at my download lol.. Weeeee :)

Wait... So your telling me...

That IF i now download my client from D2D.UK, and then install it... and try to run the game... Steam will bully in and say "STFU im not letting you play until you donwlaod it from steam!" ???

I dont want to download from steam again... well not at the momeemnt but i want to play the game.

Is downloading the game from D2D.uk and then making sure steam is FULLY closed... will that run the game?

Or do i have to go so far as to delete steam from my comp?

Or is it becuase i have a steam code in my account that it wont let me log onto the game now?

Whats going on!?!?!?!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My re-download still says in the Steam games list Star Trek Online - Beta...if it is downloading the "retail" client shouldn't the beta be gone?? Does anyone who is re-downloading with Steam not have the Beta after Star Trek Online?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    BrundleFLY wrote: »
    My re-download still says in the Steam games list Star Trek Online - Beta...if it is downloading the "retail" client shouldn't the beta be gone?? Does anyone who is re-downloading with Steam not have the Beta after Star Trek Online?

Mine too. Might want to check out STEAM FORUMS

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=825
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Reichstein wrote: »

That IF i now download my client from D2D.UK, and then install it... and try to run the game... Steam will bully in and say "STFU im not letting you play until you donwlaod it from steam!" ???

I dont want to download from steam again... well not at the momeemnt but i want to play the game.

Is downloading the game from D2D.uk and then making sure steam is FULLY closed... will that run the game?

Or is it becuase i have a steam code in my account that it wont let me log onto the game now?

Whats going on!?!?!?!

You should be fine. I would make a backup of your STO folder first and then just try it with Steam closed. I doubt you'll have a hassle, but should something go wrong you can restore the backup.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok this is the fix...

THIS IF YOU WANT TO MOVE THE STAR TREK GAME FOLDER

If you do not do this Star Trek Online will reinstall to the same place you just moved the game from.

First Cut the game (CTRL + X) and paste it where you want it. (Say you want to move it from Steams folder to Programs folder)

Second go to REGEDIT (Go to Start Run in XP or in VISTA and Win7 its just the search bar in Start then type in regedit)

Navigate to - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Star Trek Online

In side you will see a String called "InstallLocation" you need to edit this to the new directory you copyed STO to (Ex. Change from C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\ to C:\Program Files\Star Trek Online\ )

Thats it close out Regedit and lunch the updater if it doesnt update 10GBs you are ok ^_^

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK YOU CAN HURT YOUR COMPUTER BADLY BY TRIBBLE AROUND IN REGEDIT!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You should be fine. I would make a backup of your STO folder first and then just try it with Steam closed. I doubt you'll have a hassle, but should something go wrong you can restore the backup.

Thankyou...

I hope D2D.UK downloads it as 1 file i can keep somewhere safe... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    bodean wrote:
    Mine too. Might want to check out STEAM FORUMS

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=825

LOL there is less information there than here...just alot of unhappy people :mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ok this is the fix...

THIS IF YOU WANT TO MOVE THE STAR TREK GAME FOLDER

If you do not do this Star Trek Online will reinstall to the same place you just moved the game from.

First Cut the game (CTRL + X) and paste it where you want it. (Say you want to move it from Steams folder to Programs folder)

Second go to REGEDIT (Go to Start Run in XP or in VISTA and Win7 its just the search bar in Start then type in regedit)

Navigate to - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cryptic\Star Trek Online

In side you will see a String called "InstallLocation" you need to edit this to the new directory you copyed STO to (Ex. Change from C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\ to C:\Program Files\Star Trek Online\ )

Thats it close out Regedit and lunch the updater if it doesnt update 10GBs you are ok ^_^

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK YOU CAN HURT YOUR COMPUTER BADLY BY TRIBBLE AROUND IN REGEDIT!!!!

Is this before or after steam has begun the download?

Because my steam is at 4% but ive stopped it... Can i do this fix you've stated to get the game working or am i boned on 4% download?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thankyou...

I hope D2D.UK downloads it as 1 file i can keep somewhere safe... :rolleyes:

D2D will have the same damn issue. Basicly what it looks like is Steam Moved the game from a folder called "Star Trek Online - Beta" to Star Trek Online" Cryptic has a string in the Registry to keep track of where the game is and where to look for updates... 99% of all other games use a .ini file for this.

So when STO went to look for updates and it didnt see the game in "Star Trek Online - Beta" it started to download the game AGAIN.

Cryptic needs to fix this tell then I pasted a quick fix at the top their.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    dirwulf wrote: »
    Hey everyone...think about this and be happy....

At least its not Feb 2nd when about 100,000 more people would all be trying to download at the same time and your speed would be about 15kbs.

Nice one mate. Hey there is always a bright side.
    43% here. Off to bed. Would really like to play tomorrow. Fingers crossed...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Is this before or after steam has begun the download?

Because my steam is at 4% but ive stopped it... Can i do this fix you've stated to get the game working or am i boned on 4% download?

You should be able to fix it. See where the Registry is pointed and repoint to the area the game is located.

Also double check what the game folder is called in Steam. Make sure the folder is called Star Trek Online and not Star Trek Online - Beta
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Whats going on!?!?!?!

This is what I know.. I bought the game thru steam.. Created an account and used it during beta.. I downloaded everything from steam. I also had a fileplanet open beta key, and created an account tied to that key and used it also during beta. I had 2 Star Trek installs.. One was in Steam apps and the other was in C:\Cryptic .. Now that it is head start, my steam account is the account I will have to use of course to play the game... However, I'm not using the steam install.. Steam isn't even open.. The install size of the one I'm using is 7.69 gigs.. I run the .exe from that installation, and when I type in my account name, it automatically reads the steam installation and continuing updating those files, completely ignoring the 7.69 gigs in the folder I ran the friggen launcher from... I can only assume, if you are using a Steam account name and password, no matter what client you've downloaded, from fileplanet, to atari, to some friggen torrent, once you type in your steam account name, the game forces you to run from the files in steam folder..... LISTEN! Copying the 7.69 gigs INTO Steam will NOT work... Steam will read the files, delete them ALL and start re-downloading. This is only what I've experienced and tested so far.. :confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    JHONG wrote: »
    Nice one mate. Hey there is always a bright side.
    43% here. Off to bed. Would really like to play tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

27% here...Best to let Steam update the game again. Pain in the behind i know, but its the safest way...

Just be sure to back the folder up once it has finished to stop this happening again. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    D2D will have the same damn issue. Basicly what it looks like is Steam Moved the game from a folder called "Star Trek Online - Beta" to Star Trek Online" Cryptic has a string in the Registry to keep track of where the game is and where to look for updates... 99% of all other games use a .ini file for this.

So when STO went to look for updates and it didnt see the game in "Star Trek Online - Beta" it started to download the game AGAIN.

Cryptic needs to fix this tell then I pasted a quick fix at the top their.

I just looked on my XP Pro 64 box. Don't have that string where it is for you. I'm looking now as to where mine is. Mostlikely it's just variations between OS versions, will let you know.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You should be able to fix it. See where the Registry is pointed and repoint to the area the game is located.

Also double check what the game folder is called in Steam. Make sure the folder is called Star Trek Online and not Star Trek Online - Beta

Well i just checked my steam directory.... its only 722mb big....

So much for saving it... no point moving anyhting... the 10g is gone... But yes the folder is called "Star trek online" ... no -beta on the end.
This discussion has been closed.