What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

UPGRADE YOUR SHIP EVEN FURTHER!

2»

Comments

• Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    I've seen ships melt group content boss ships within seconds; whole Borg groups like in times when no level scaling was present and they where level 1. :D

I'm not bothered with the price of these tokens; I'm not in a hurry or need to up my ships. Should I collect free tokens to up them I will; if not then not. And on a personal level I sure like fiddling around some more with my ships. But on a general level I seriously question the wisdom to add even more power potential to them.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Glad they're using existing token and not a new one.

Would have preferred it being only one token to go through each level. This proposed system could get expensive when we're talking T6-X3+ etc.

The point is to convince players to pay for T7 without introducing T7. T6 X3 will more than likely be 3 tokens but they better give us more than just the usual upgrade for the cost. 2 tokens wouldn't have been so bad if they had added an extra space Duty Officer slot or something outside of just the rinse and reuse at double the price.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    How many more tokens is it going to take to bring the average 10k DPS player up to 30k? 12? Maybe even 15. :P
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    We did not need more power. There is no win inSTO, but there is also almost no need to play annymore. Outside event maps there is not much choice in non fast maps.
    If a new player would join a red alert map, that player could get afk.
    People allready barely know strategies on maps, the fail conditionswere a good mechanic to let people learn the game instead of just rpessing space bar... I noticed they want to remove the fail condition also on tzen red alert... why? Adding power doesn't make people skilled ....
    The game is very easy, adding more power doesn't make it more fun, loading often takes longer than a tfo itself by now
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    Had I known they were gonna do this, I would've made even more x upgrades from my disused phoenix tokens than I already did.

However it really doesn't make sense for the second upgrade to require 2 more instead of 1 more.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,022 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    However it really doesn't make sense for the second upgrade to require 2 more instead of 1 more.
    More unlocks tend to cost more resources, whatever the MMO you're playing!

The T6 > T6-X upgrade gives you the first extra device, console and trait slot.
    The T6-X to T6-X2 upgrade gives you the second of them, and makes perfect sense they cost more.

But seriously, why's nobody worried about the numerical pattern?

It is 1,2,3,4,5... or will it be 1,2,4,8,16...
    We'll have to wait until T6-X3 to find out!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    One more is still one more, say you are upgrading a navy warship with a new computer and adding a second one of the same kind, would the second one require twice more power than the first one, no it would just multiply the same input required per unit.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,022 Arc User
    ...would the second one require twice more power than the first one, no...
    But we're not talking about upgrading the hardware of something - we're talking about the way MMO games work.
    In STO, each successive T6-X upgrade costs more than the previous.
    In Runes of Magic, each successive rune slot costs more than the previous.
    In Rift, each successive backpack slot costs more than the previous.
    There's just one example from MMO's other than STO - they can't be free-to-play without getting money somehow.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    Why, exactly, do we need more power creep? Much of the time I join a random TFO there's at least one person who can solo it. Loads of fun when someone one shots everything and melts the boss in seconds while the rest of the team doesn't really get to do anything.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User

The T6-X to T6-X2 upgrade gives you the second of them, and makes perfect sense they cost more.

That's like saying that you go to the store and buy one apple for $1. If you buy two apples, the price is $3. It doesn't take a genius to realize how stupid that math looks.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,525 Arc User
    edited September 2023
    jcsww wrote: »

That's like saying that you go to the store and buy one apple for $1. If you buy two apples, the price is $3. It doesn't take a genius to realize how stupid that math looks.

The scary part is that I have seen games with that steep of a skill progression cost, where the cost requirement does literally double for each level of skill. Hopefully the devs use a less steep, less rapacious progression, like the 1,2,3,4,5... one for the X upgrades.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User

It may be 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...

Or 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2,

Or even 1, 2, 4, 16, 256 :p

Or just 1, 2, 47.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
This discussion has been closed.