test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New ideas for next Risa Lohlunat event

athivenathiven Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Some things i find are missing :
1. Group activities like TFO Risa related wearing beachwear. Like the resort is under attack while you are on vacation or your group is kidnapped by Risan separatists, etc
2. underwater activities, alone or in group. Every year i wish i could just dive in that sea... For example underwater fishing

there could be a Nautilus kind of submarine from where you could do underwater missions with a team;
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    I want a chance to earn a floater that can be used in real life.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    stolokstolok Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    They need to expand the map. We could then have different things going on at different parts of the map.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    stolok wrote: »
    They need to expand the map. We could then have different things going on at different parts of the map.

I think that's going to be necessary if more events are going to be added, yes.

I was just doing the race and wondered if a lohlunat event was going to take place soon. Didn't even see it in the list. It's probably once every two hours now, whereas there used to be two each hour in the first years of the event, IIRC.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    enigmachad#4351 enigmachad Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    ssx2s8t7tlqx.png
    why to me does the artwork here look like the Planet Express ship?
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    ssx2s8t7tlqx.png

Because the top profile of the new ship sort of looks like the side profile of the Futurama ship and your mind is making a connection that's not there?
  • Options
    djparticle#6313 djparticle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    ssx2s8t7tlqx.png
    It really does, doesn't it? 😁

Frankly though, judging by the way the ship looks in the game itself, not really one I'd be interested in. There's far more stuff I'm interested in getting, being it's my first time in the event this year.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    1. Have more than just new combat items (Risa is a non-combat event and combat gear is the bread and butter of TFO events. The summer event is a change of pace, actually change up the pace here). See #5 for suggestion on a budget.
    2. Kitbash some of the NPC's on the map to fit the theme of the current event (whatever it may be). Ask folks in the space barbie community to do it (pulling from designated characters/costumes they've created for the purpose by arrangement) if the character art team is unable.
    3. Add new minor easter eggs to provide some map update which isn't just increasing visual fidelity.
    4. If the Hysperian theme is repeated for next year, add the pie eating contest to Risa. It fits the renfair festival theme and stands as a small scale task that doesn't require new asset modeling time (ie. the pies, there's definitely tables in STO's asset library to replace the winter event one if implemented on Risa.) Reward: minor amount of favors and chance of a bird egg (at most), no daily completion to avoid it becoming the new event meta. Even if players don't all flock to this and give it big numbers, the psychological impression of having done something more than minimal is needed.
    5. New pets: existing pets but with sunglasses (ex. Tardigrade, Caracal, Nanov, Targ, Tholian Toy).
    6. New pets (for Hypserian theme): armored versions of existing pets (gluing pieces of Tzenkethi player armor set, colored silver, to backs, chests, and shoulders)
    7. New floaters/surf board (for Hysperian theme): dragon fire (ship hull material texture with flames coming out the back.)
    8. New costume piece: sunhat
    9. New costume piece (for Hysperian theme): festival hat (insert any medieval hat here)
    10. New kit module: avian hurricane (AOE damage, swirling swarm of Risian birds)
    11. For 2024, have the preceding episode from the late-spring season be STO's anime beach adventure episode (Quark's Lucky 7 in general tone, just with more temporal hijinks around Risa and leaning on STO cameos in vacation mode. Abundant optional dialog, character dialog choices, to really flesh that out.) Succeeding summer event then uses the Risa episode for theming (temporal but with items/costumes/powers that riff on events/characters from the ep). This excuses dedicating more environment and character art time to Risa as it feeds directly into narrative content (wouldn't be a consistent thing to pull each year but it's at least a solid bump which subsequent years can coast on available dev time for the event alone.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    I'd just like to see them move the vendors from the platform near the beam in site to the empty kiosks/huts at the promenade. The Tailor standing out in the open next to a couple of mannequins looks ridiculous. And the store vendor without any wares? Or a store? 🤨
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    I'd like them to add the giant yellow down arrow for the dig spot in the artifact hunt final stage. Sometimes finding a little bump in the ground is really annoying when it is already bumpy ground covered in plant life.

(Yes, I just started doing it and haven't memorized all the locations yet. My latest science captain needs that 1,000 lolwut kit frame + 1,000 lols nodules.)
  • Options
    scorpwanna#3529 scorpwanna Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    They should add a Baseball field and a Golf Course
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    This is too much work, but it would be fun to have floater and/or powerboard PVE missions - fight the Vol-conian or Krak-conian :)
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    I know the day night cycle is broken, but it should be do-able to make instances day and other night. I have not checked is Pavel even around anymore? or is that another accolade that cannot be done?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    knightmare#8708 knightmare Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    I'd love to see a Fleet Resort where fleet members could enter and customize, with bars, pools, nightclubs etc. Be able to buy Custom fleet Powerboards and Floaters.

I'd also like to see and underwater event or activity, like diving for pearls or tagging fish species or an underwater race using those torpedo like devices divers sometimes use propel them along (I forget what they are called).

Perhaps even a hand gliding activity for those like to glide through the air instead of using floaters, maybe even some rock climbing on one of the other islands.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    Honesly the whole medieval magic theme doesn't fit the theme of the summer event just like with the baseball uniforms.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    I know the day night cycle is broken, but it should be do-able to make instances day and other night. I have not checked is Pavel even around anymore? or is that another accolade that cannot be done?

Pavel should be around, the map still operates *like* it's on a day/night cycle last I checked but just without the visuals.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Honesly the whole medieval magic theme doesn't fit the theme of the summer event just like with the baseball uniforms.

Summer is prime baseball season for those that follow it. Sure, plenty of sports run through the summer but in American culture (see. where the game is made), at least historically, summer and baseball are linked to fairly high degree. Baseball is one of the few professional sports depicted in Star Trek, and Water Polo is much more difficult to build a recognizable theme around for character assets.

The theme of the summer event in STO (as a separate entity apart from summer itself) is also tautologically defined by whatever Cryptic opts to do with it. Themes can change, as they also have with the winter event which brought in diametrically opposed theming with the Fek'Ihri to what came before.
    This is too much work, but it would be fun to have floater and/or powerboard PVE missions - fight the Vol-conian or Krak-conian :)
    I suggested that Cryptic should have a Risa episode next year (easy host to fun temporal/multiverse shenanigans, excuse to allocate more dev time to Risa map updates and character assets). That could include PVE floater/hoverboard sections in the mission (though probably not Iconian themed) and depending on the work involved maybe that allows for a new activity in the event.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I think the torches and stuff still light when its "night time".
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

They've already stated that they wouldn't do different instances with different times of day due to it bloating the number of maps on the server. Other information related to this topic can be found in the FCT.

The map still operates as if there is a day/night cycles running, though. The bottom of the hour is morning and the top of the hour is night. You have to guesstimate on the times in between, but time-related accolades can still be earned. For instance: Mok'bara still pops up around the :30 minute mark.

Pavel's accolades can still be earned, and immediately without having to wait for the time to cycle. Just accept the mission from him and go directly to where he's supposed to pop up.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,197 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    avoozuul wrote: »

Summer is prime baseball season for those that follow it. Sure, plenty of sports run through the summer but in American culture (see. where the game is made), at least historically, summer and baseball are linked to fairly high degree. Baseball is one of the few professional sports depicted in Star Trek, and Water Polo is much more difficult to build a recognizable theme around for character assets.
    Yes but that's not the theme the game was originally going for with it, it was supposed to be a vacation resort just like the shows, there was no base ball at Risa in the actual shows, there was a baseball episode of DS9 but it wasn't set at Risa.

I'm sure there's other things they could add for the summer theme even if they aren't sports related.

• Options
    I'd just like to see them move the vendors from the platform near the beam in site to the empty kiosks/huts at the promenade. The Tailor standing out in the open next to a couple of mannequins looks ridiculous. And the store vendor without any wares? Or a store? 🤨

Yeah, all vendors should have booths similar to what the floater vendor has. Or maybe even inside the resort.
  • Options
    I'd also like to see and underwater event or activity, like diving for pearls or tagging fish species or an underwater race using those torpedo like devices divers sometimes use propel them along (I forget what they are called).

Perhaps even a hand gliding activity for those like to glide through the air instead of using floaters, maybe even some rock climbing on one of the other islands.

Now that would be really new and different. I think they are just called 'scooters' by the divers, but there may be some fancier name for them. But then that would be something else you'd have to buy with favors and then store in your bank during the off season...

I wonder how difficult the physics of underwater movement would be, though. Might be a technical obstacle.
  • Options

Now that would be really new and different. I think they are just called 'scooters' by the divers, but there may be some fancier name for them. But then that would be something else you'd have to buy with favors and then store in your bank during the off season...

I wonder how difficult the physics of underwater movement would be, though. Might be a technical obstacle.

The physics of it is already in the game for ships in Fluidic Space, so it shouldn't be terribly different to apply it to the humanoid form.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Not to mention actual underwater physics were a part of CO before STO was ever a thing, so the code for it SHOULD still be in the engine...though, Tacofangs said long ago that getting it to work for CO was a pain and a half and he never wants to repeat the experience.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

The physics of it is already in the game for ships in Fluidic Space, so it shouldn't be terribly different to apply it to the humanoid form.

We sort of already got "swimming" in the form of the floater, IIRC the collision box for ships and captains is more or less the same, so only new thing Cryptic really is the swimming animations, rest should be just tweaking and combining pre-existing mechanics (not saying that's easy but it should be within their means.
  • Options
    Not to mention actual underwater physics were a part of CO before STO was ever a thing, so the code for it SHOULD still be in the engine...though, Tacofangs said long ago that getting it to work for CO was a pain and a half and he never wants to repeat the experience.​​

That could have changed with the new tools they've been getting/developing, it's hard to know without directly asking the man himself.
  • Options
    aurion#4326 aurion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    I was kinda hoping for the big Solar Sail Ship we saw in Star Trek Strange New Worlds in the first season, now that would make a great Summer event ship.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    We have all these baseball themed items but no reason to purchase or use them. Other than cosmetics. We have a whole island which has no events anywhere near it. I'd like to suggest something to let us use these baseball themed items on the other island.

Batting cages. Or maybe a pitcher's mound. With a hologram for a catcher.

We can throw darts in Quark's on DS9. Might be a good place to start from if designing either of these.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,321 Arc User
    I feel the Risa summer map is getting crowded with too many events stacked on not enough space.
    There is a nearly unused Regular map of Risa and a Dranuur beach resort (close enough, we can use floaters). Why not distribute the activities.

Maybe also add a true Hiking trail instead of trails with focus on floaters.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I don't think the Resort map is too crowded. Honestly I think we need more things to do AROUND the map itself than just always hanging out around the dance floor. We need more of a reason to spend more than just a few minutes over by the Promenade for surf races and bird/monkey DOff assignments. They got a whole frickin' Bar over there, but the only people who hang out over there are RPers. And then we have the whole left side of the island which gets almost NO attention whatsoever, same with the volcano crater and north side of the island. The only time people go there is when an event says go there. Otherwise... its all just hang out at the main resort building as it has bank access.

The thing I get a bit annoyed by is the sheer number of PvP races over the other events. I mean in a way it does regulate the number of lolwuts we get, but at the same time... its quite often we get two races in a row, followed by a Biathalon.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I don't think the Resort map is too crowded. Honestly I think we need more things to do AROUND the map itself than just always hanging out around the dance floor. We need more of a reason to spend more than just a few minutes over by the Promenade for surf races and bird/monkey DOff assignments. They got a whole frickin' Bar over there, but the only people who hang out over there are RPers. And then we have the whole left side of the island which gets almost NO attention whatsoever, same with the volcano crater and north side of the island. The only time people go there is when an event says go there. Otherwise... its all just hang out at the main resort building as it has bank access.

The thing I get a bit annoyed by is the sheer number of PvP races over the other events. I mean in a way it does regulate the number of lolwuts we get, but at the same time... its quite often we get two races in a row, followed by a Biathalon.

I agree, more PvE things to do there would be nice even if they are just minor things meant to attract people to other areas. I don't bother with the races since my ISP is a cable company and with the "party line" style setup it is not very stable speed and latency wise and the spikes make anything like that much more annoying than fun (anything that requires precise timing like aspects of the races, or jumping minigames in missions and TFOs, are almost impossible to do for instance).
  • Options
    My problem with races is that I'm getting older and my reactions aren't what they used to so I can't really match teens or 20 something in the races never mind someone who might be botting the race (not accusing anyone but at the same time not dismissing the possibility).

That's why I like the PvE events as the only person I really compete with is myself and I can still beat myself most of the times ;) .
This discussion has been closed.