What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Who made Wesley emperor?

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    It coul be worse, Emperor Broccoli :)
    Next Gen character that could likely never make it to command.

Well... in the game Star Trek Elite Force II, Barcley somehow was Chief Engineer of the Enterprise-E. Probably because either Geordi had been promoted, or was unavailable.

(IRL they didn't get as many Trek actors as they could for EF1, which had the entire cast of Voyager, whereas EF2 only had Picard, Tuvok, and Barcley.)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    I Feel like Emperor Peckard would have been better, like seriously Mirror Jean-Luc Picard is Jacked AF, I really need to know to his work out routine since He's more Ripped than a Klingon.
  • Options
    bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Ahhh, Elite Force 1 & 2; good memories. I wonder if I should get back into playing them again, as I still have both games. Thanks for the flashback @rattler2... 👍😀👍

Peace...
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    For me, the problem isn't the casting itself, as harmless-sounding actors can be made utterly terrifying (I do remember some actors like Mark Hamill, Robin Williams et many of Pan's Labyrinth's cast members who were mostly comedic or "goody-two-shoes" actors (especially Vidal's actor), and many others)... if they have a good script and direction.

Unfortunately, that's not the case here, and aside from the moment where he snaps at you for sucking at your job, most of the time, Wheaton sounds and acts like normal Wesley, who keeps explaining stuff to you, because his role is 70% tutorial NPC, 25% exposition and 5% omnicidal emperor.

Of all the possible choices, Killy and Kuumaarke would have been better choices as Emperor/Empress, due to how utterly smug, wicked, scheming, sadistic and overall hateable (in a good way) their actresses made them despite their main Prime universe roles being sweet, nice ladies.
    But of course, they had to kill them off, with only Killy having an extremely thin chance to come back in a different form with a deus ex machina.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I think the best twist would be its not really mirror Wesley as the evil emperor - its the prime Wesley. He's bouncing between universes pretending to be good in one and the dominant evil in the other. He's everything wrong with humanity that Q ever accused us of with too much power.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    rattler2 wrote: »

Well... in the game Star Trek Elite Force II, Barcley somehow was Chief Engineer of the Enterprise-E. Probably because either Geordi had been promoted, or was unavailable.

(IRL they didn't get as many Trek actors as they could for EF1, which had the entire cast of Voyager, whereas EF2 only had Picard, Tuvok, and Barcley.)

Why would that be suprisng? Barclay was shown to be a genius on many occasions. He was also instrumental in the pathfinder project, locating Voyager, in addition to establishing contact. If anything he would be over qualified to be chief engineer.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »

Why would that be suprisng? Barclay was shown to be a genius on many occasions. He was also instrumental in the pathfinder project, locating Voyager, in addition to establishing contact. If anything he would be over qualified to be chief engineer.

He's a genius in the field of engineering sure but IIRC the Pathfinder project was the first where he was in a command position, Barcley's chief issue is that he doesn't work well with others or in high stress social situations, both of which make up the majority of the job when it comes to being a Chief Engineer, they are after all the department head for the engineering department which on a ship like the Enterprise would be dozens if not hundreds of people all with their own wants and needs.

TL:DR it's Barcley's social skills that make the position of Chief Engineer so odd not his skills as an engineer.
  • Options
    In either case, I personally love the actor and character, and consider any episode he was in to be one of the better ones. But that in no way makes me think or feel that he would be well suited or a good Emperor; I just can't see him as being that kind of evil person that would rule with a evil and cruel iron fist...

Peace...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    In either case, I personally love the actor and character, and consider any episode he was in to be one of the better ones. But that in no way makes me think or feel that he would be well suited or a good Emperor; I just can't see him as being that kind of evil person that would rule with a evil and cruel iron fist...

Peace...
    You should see his episode of Criminal Minds. My wife still shudders thinking about it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    I honestly would have rather had Wesley return in a Prime Episode Series where you learn about all the work he's pursued since his time with the Traveller.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    strathkin wrote: »
    I honestly would have rather had Wesley return in a Prime Episode Series where you learn about all the work he's pursued since his time with the Traveller.

Who knows maybe Prime Traveller Wesley figured out a way to bring Sisko back.
  • Options
    heroes#9154 heroes Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Shut up Westley
    [img]file:///D:/Pictures/00.%20Avatar%20Pics%20@%20Theme/glangel.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    strathkin wrote: »

Him coming in as his mirror counterpart doesn't mean he can't come back as his prime universe version. I mean we have two versions of Leeta! Technically three with Holo Leeta.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    Watching this emperor is like watching SPONGEBOB as an emperor. I guess whoever made that final decision thought it was a good joke since he sucks big time.

Great. Now I can't get the image of Mirror Spongebob (with goatee) out of my mind!

On topic, I was surprised by The Emperor's Will (i.e. the Emperor is Wil...Wheaton), but I liked his performance in it. It would be a twist if it was our universe's Wesley who is now the Terran Emperor. In his last appearance in TNG, he was all teen-angsty AND gaining godlike powers at the same time, AND giving the proverbial finger to Picard and Starfleet, so going all "absolute power corrupts absolutely" really isn't that unbelievable. There would need to be a "his death redeems him" ending, though.
  • Options
    Could be worse I suppose... He could be BrightBurn... :)

Peace...
  • Options
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Great. Now I can't get the image of Mirror Spongebob (with goatee) out of my mind!

On topic, I was surprised by The Emperor's Will (i.e. the Emperor is Wil...Wheaton), but I liked his performance in it. It would be a twist if it was our universe's Wesley who is now the Terran Emperor. In his last appearance in TNG, he was all teen-angsty AND gaining godlike powers at the same time, AND giving the proverbial finger to Picard and Starfleet, so going all "absolute power corrupts absolutely" really isn't that unbelievable. There would need to be a "his death redeems him" ending, though.

He has appeared far more recently however, in the last episode of Picard season 2. Without going into spoiler territory... hate to say it but its not going to be Prime Wesley as the Emperor. Prime Wesley has matured and is actually showing he can be responsible, and is rather friendly.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I wonder if he conquered the Mirror Iconians yet?

I'd Imagine they're nicer than their Prime counterparts and we could swap T'kets without anyone being the wiser.
  • Options
    I wonder if he conquered the Mirror Iconians yet?

I'd Imagine they're nicer than their Prime counterparts and we could swap T'kets without anyone being the wiser.

Based on the Terran Taskforce Rep... the Terrans had their own Iconian War, and Leeta does report that they defeated them.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    really, with hindsight being 2020, all the actors the fans were speculating, Wil was the most affordable
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Shut up Westley

"Will Ensign Crusher please report to the airlock."
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    I suspect it has a lot to do with how much Paramount boot Wil Wheaton is licking.

Ever seen his Picard interviews?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    I don't know if you're aware of this, plate, but Wil's been a Trekkie almost as long as I have - well predating TNG. The only reason he left TNG was because the writers hated his character, which was interfering with his (successful) plans to make his living as an actor. He's not "licking Paramount boot", he's actually happy to get to be in Star Trek again at all.

I know, people taking joy in doing something without being told they have to take joy in it by corporate management escapes a lot of folks these days...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    I don't know if you're aware of this, plate, but Wil's been a Trekkie almost as long as I have - well predating TNG. The only reason he left TNG was because the writers hated his character, which was interfering with his (successful) plans to make his living as an actor. He's not "licking Paramount boot", he's actually happy to get to be in Star Trek again at all.

I know, people taking joy in doing something without being told they have to take joy in it by corporate management escapes a lot of folks these days...

He has only critiqued some of the questionable choices early TNG made both with his character and in general in his blog (I dunno if that's still up but it did exist).
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    @jonsills:

So I’m gonna take that as a “No, I didn’t see his interviews for Picard”

He’s wading waist-deep in “The show is amazing, please tell me more about how amazing I know the show is” toadying.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    So, Wesley is becoming a Universe killer.

Great... just great.

:/
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    truewarper wrote: »

Great... just great.

Universe killer so he's becoming like JJ Abrams?
  • Options

Great... just great.

Well the Kelvin timeline is still there even if the fourth movie doesn't seem to be happening nor where there any Universe class ships that got destroyed in those movies so Abrams fails at both definitions of "universe killer"
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    spiritborn wrote: »

Great... just great.

Well the Kelvin timeline is still there even if the fourth movie doesn't seem to be happening nor where there any Universe class ships that got destroyed in those movies so Abrams fails at both definitions of "universe killer"

He started killing the Star Trek universe as soon as someone was stupid enough to give him the license to the franchise.
  • Options
    He started killing the Star Trek universe as soon as someone was stupid enough to give him the license to the franchise.

Except he didn't? He just created an alternate reality, a concept that is familiar to Star Trek. Yea there may have been behind the scenes stuff that I heard about, but On Screen Canon trumps behind the scenes intent. And the 2009 movie even says its an Alternate Reality when Uhura realizes what Spock's talking about by a whole new chain of events. And in Discovery, they actually confirm the existence of the Kelvin Timeline in Season 3.

HOWEVER... I will say that his handling of Star Wars could have been better. He set up something interesting (even if it was mostly a rehash of A New Hope), that got derailed by Rian Johnson, and the followup to that was just pure damage control. But that is a topic for another thread.
This discussion has been closed.