test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another Hero Ship in Lockbox?

doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
Is the Sagan Class T6 Stargazer going into a Lockbox? Somebody told me today.
C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    apparently yes, it's absolutely rediculas that ships designed by STO artists, approperate to the era are in lock boxes
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Worse, I think it's a promo pack ship. Not that there's much difference in availability between those and lock box ships at this point, considering the state the in-game economy is in.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

It should have been obvious this would be the case, the only surprising detail was that it's coming so soon after Picard S2 (I wasn't expecting it until November at the earliest). Since they've been doing LD lately I was expecting the Obena and a Clumpship to be the next two, followed by anything they might be able to pull from Disco S4, and THEN the Picard S2 stuff.

On a side note, I hope this means a Confederation Lockbox might be coming soon with a World Razer class and Confed weapons+uniforms.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Hopefully this doesn't stop the Cheyenne from getting a T6 version.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User

I was a little surprised by this as well. In the livestream, they said a few times that it was the free ship in the next year's big event series. Then, at the very end, Jeremy says it will be an infinity doff / R&D promo ship.

Are they selling the ship NOW only to have it free THEN? I was a bit confused by the way it came up in the livestream.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Honestly I wouldn't classify the Sagan class as a "Hero ship" due to the fact it only appeared in... what? 2 episodes? The La Sirena kinda has better claim to hero status than the Stargazer by basically spearheading a series.

My 2 ECs on the subject.
    On a side note, I hope this means a Confederation Lockbox might be coming soon with a World Razer class and Confed weapons+uniforms.

As a costume fiend... gimme gimme. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I'm not sure what to think of this.

On the one hand, there used to be a time when the rule was: faction-specific ships end up in the C-store. It was a good rule.

On the other hand, higher tier ships of previously exclusively lower ships (like the T6 Constitution) were always something of an exception to this rule.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    OR, you could wait until next year's Campaign Event and get it for free.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch

True, but by the time it's added, many new other ships will have been released.

I heard something about a real life shuttle finally being added to, unfortunately, the next promo pack. Wish that would be C-store too. :/
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    Huh. And here I thought one's return on investment was enjoying playing the game. Silly me.
    GrWzQke.png
  • qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    > @fleetcaptain5#1134 said:
    > I heard something about a real life shuttle finally being added to, unfortunately, the next promo pack. Wish that would be C-store too. :/

What is a “real-life” shuttle? Like a NASA shuttle? Like a Picard Europa-mission shuttle? Like you win the lockbox and they bring a working shuttlecraft to your doorstep? Maybe I could go for an in-game Soviet shuttle, the Buran, even if it never got to launch before the Soviet Union collapsed. Or maybe one of those new Boeing top-secret spy drones, the X-37B.

Thankfully I'm not particularly crazy about the Sagan, so unless the World Razer releases this year next year's event campaign will be an easy choice of California Class for me. If the World Razer DOES come this year though all I can do is hope I get lucky again with my occasional Promo boxes ...
    eaY7Xxu.png
    qultuq wrote: »
    > @fleetcaptain5#1134 said:
    > I heard something about a real life shuttle finally being added to, unfortunately, the next promo pack. Wish that would be C-store too. :/

What is a “real-life” shuttle? Like a NASA shuttle? Like a Picard Europa-mission shuttle? Like you win the lockbox and they bring a working shuttlecraft to your doorstep? Maybe I could go for an in-game Soviet shuttle, the Buran, even if it never got to launch before the Soviet Union collapsed. Or maybe one of those new Boeing top-secret spy drones, the X-37B.

Originally, my idea was that it would be a shuttlecraft delivered to your doorstep. Bought through the C-store.

But it's been years since anyone responded to it in a serious manner. ;)

• husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,589 Arc User
    OK Promo ships are normally special at least a little bit right ??

Looking at the specs... I'm not seeing anything but a mid tier cruiser, being sold as a promo.

All well. Cryptic please continue trying so hard to make shield tanking a thing, your saving me money, and time.
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    yet another garbage lockbox thing, while most companies are moving away from them, seems these guys are keen to double down and force more out.
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
    husanakx wrote: »

Looking at the specs... I'm not seeing anything but a mid tier cruiser, being sold as a promo.

All well. Cryptic please continue trying so hard to make shield tanking a thing, your saving me money, and time.

It does come with an unique material though.

I'm not interested in it myself, but promo ships don't necessarily need to have great stats.

The Kirk class for example wasn't anything special either and its console and trait were also far from impressive.

Huh. And here I thought one's return on investment was enjoying playing the game. Silly me.

that ROI tends to get diminished real fast when items are continually being placed in some form of a box, in the lobi store, and/or mudds.

not sure why the company things that this venue of attempted access to get stuff is fun. its not. and honestly, aside from the multitude of unfixed bugs, this is why i have not played this game for several months now. my ROI has met its match. obviously your ROI still has gas in the tank.

When you say "that ROI," are you referring to my reference of "enjoying playing the game?" If so, I'm not understanding how items being placed in lockboxes, etc. diminishes one's enjoyment of actually playing the game. Items are just acquiring stuff. Stuff that's not at all necessary for actually playing the game. Of course, items can enhance the enjoyment of playing the game, but again, not at all necessary for said enjoyment of playing the game.

Another thing that also confuses me is individuals, such as yourself, who admittedly no longer play the game (for months, years), but continue to come on the forum to complain about a game they no longer play and therefore are no longer affected by. If the state of the game distresses one so much that they must stop playing it, I don't understand why one would continue to subject oneself to further distress though forum discussion. Seems oddly masochistic to me.

I am sorry that you no longer derive any enjoyment from playing the game, though. But yes, my ROI still has "gas in the tank" as you say. I can always find something enjoyable to do in STO. 😊
    GrWzQke.png
    Another thing that also confuses me is individuals, such as yourself, who admittedly no longer play the game (for months, years), but continue to come on the forum to complain about a game they no longer play and therefore are no longer affected by.
    I suspect most people who do that are like me: disappointed in the lack of new content, only really playing three times out of the year when new content IS added, potentially with brief logins in between to get event credit when there's a reward they think they might want to use some day.

I personally like STO a lot more than I like WoW, and I've spent a hell of a lot more money on STO than I have on WoW, but I spend most of my free time playing WoW instead of STO because STO always feels like there's nothing meaningful to do.

I'm aware of and fully understand the reasons for the slow release schedule, but knowing that information doesn't change the fact that there's nothing worthwhile to do between content patches.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Another thing that also confuses me is individuals, such as yourself, who admittedly no longer play the game (for months, years), but continue to come on the forum to complain about a game they no longer play and therefore are no longer affected by.
    I suspect most people who do that are like me: disappointed in the lack of new content, only really playing three times out of the year when new content IS added, potentially with brief logins in between to get event credit when there's a reward they think they might want to use some day.

I personally like STO a lot more than I like WoW, and I've spent a hell of a lot more money on STO than I have on WoW, but I spend most of my free time playing WoW instead of STO because STO always feels like there's nothing meaningful to do.

I'm aware of and fully understand the reasons for the slow release schedule, but knowing that information doesn't change the fact that there's nothing worthwhile to do between content patches.

You could always get that T3 omega ground reputation trait. ;)

Or, more seriously, create new characters. That's what I've been doing a lot lately.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    Well... technically speaking, STO has a faster schedule than most games like WoW or FF14. Its just that the content drops are smaller. With WoW, far as I know you have to wait years for the next full on Expansion for anything new, granted said new is a LOT to do anyways. With FF14 there's the expansions, and then there's the post expansion patch content.

So in terms of release schedule, I'd put STO at fast but small, then FF14 at large but moderate timing, and WoW at massive and LONG wait.

Its also kinda dependant on the size of the team as well. WoW and FF14 are backed by MAJOR players in the MMO universe, so they naturally have much larger teams. STO, on the other hand, is nowhere near that. And IMO if it takes a few months for a high quality mission or two... I'd take that over putting out busywork missions like Of Bajor in the 2800 Feature Episode Series.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Or, more seriously, create new characters. That's what I've been doing a lot lately.
    I've been doing that, have around thirty characters now, most of my ideas for more though require ships and uniforms that aren't available yet.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... technically speaking, STO has a faster schedule than most games like WoW or FF14. Its just that the content drops are smaller. With WoW, far as I know you have to wait years for the next full on Expansion for anything new, granted said new is a LOT to do anyways. With FF14 there's the expansions, and then there's the post expansion patch content.

So in terms of release schedule, I'd put STO at fast but small, then FF14 at large but moderate timing, and WoW at massive and LONG wait.
    WoW has multiple content patches between expansions, sometimes adding entire new zones (9.1 and 9.2 both added new zones, for example), reputations, quest chains, and borrowed power systems related to the current expansion. What really keeps me busy there though is the dungeons and raids, the bosses have unique and varied mechanics, they drop highly desirable loot, and with the Mythic Plus system for dungeons there is ALWAYS a higher difficulty level available to try and push through.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,589 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    husanakx wrote: »

It does come with an unique material though.

I'm not interested in it myself, but promo ships don't necessarily need to have great stats.

The Kirk class for example wasn't anything special either and its console and trait were also far from impressive.

You mean the federation battle cruiser... with a battle cloak (without burning console slots) 3 cruiser commands (including weapon power) Full temporal with reconstruction, a lt cmd command to go with for torp boat funs, and 3-10k more hull then any other fed battle cruiser, and 10 more power in total bonuses vs all but I think 1 other fed cruiser.

Yep your right the kirk was nothing special. (I'm not saying it was my cup... but its obviously a +1 promo class ship)
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Another Hero Ship in Lockbox?

Yes, of course. T6 "Hero" ships are pretty much always lockbox or promo box. Why would you expect otherwise?

avoozuul wrote: »
    Hopefully this doesn't stop the Cheyenne from getting a T6 version.

But yeah, this. :|
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User

I was a little surprised by this as well. In the livestream, they said a few times that it was the free ship in the next year's big event series. Then, at the very end, Jeremy says it will be an infinity doff / R&D promo ship.

Are they selling the ship NOW only to have it free THEN? I was a bit confused by the way it came up in the livestream.

If they did it was a mistake. They aren't going to offer a promo ship for free besides the once a year event grind

Idk if you missed the beginning or something, but this was all very clearly explained in the live stream: it IS a promo ship, a fact they made clear up front. However, each year's event campaign allows you to select any promo or lockbox ship from the previous year, so since the Sagan is a 2022 Promo ship you will be able to select it as your 2023 Event Campaign reward if you want.

As with both event campaigns so far, you will only get ONE copy of the Sagan if you choose it next year, it will not be account unlocked.
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.