test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The New ShiKahr Looks Better Upside down!

theofficialmip#7339 theofficialmip Member Posts: 93 Arc User
ew2xhpq825ls.jpg

Looks pretty cool!
One of the 0.7%ers Markus Urelious 16000+ Accolades [Fed Tac FA] + Several More
Forum Member Since Feb 2010
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Ok I gotta admit that does look pretty cool like that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,266 Arc User
    It's the way the Nacelles attach to the Pod making it look like a small secondary hull rather then a roll bar mission pod.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User
    That's a misfigured Galaxy. ;)

Wait. That's a Galaxy that's even more misfigured than a 'normal' Galaxy. :p
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Didn't this 'style' of ship originate from someone not knowing which way was 'up' during fx shots?

I think the Miranda was originally going to have the nacelles above the hull, but flipped and someone liked it. Word is that the Connie was supposed to be upside down for the same reason but Gene was talked out of it because it didn't look as good.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,526 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Didn't this 'style' of ship originate from someone not knowing which way was 'up' during fx shots?

I think the Miranda was originally going to have the nacelles above the hull, but flipped and someone liked it. Word is that the Connie was supposed to be upside down for the same reason but Gene was talked out of it because it didn't look as good.

In the case of the Connie they would have had to flip the saucer back over if they had the whole ship upsidedown. That bevel on the saucer was done in that direction (the larger diameter on top) for crash landings, to help keep the saucer upright instead of digging into the ground and flipping onto its top, which would have caused considerably more casualties and injuries than grass-surfing upsideup if they could not make a softer landing for some reason.

That is one of the things that always annoyed me about the Trek ships that put the bevel the other way.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I think the Miranda was originally going to have the nacelles above the hull, but flipped and someone liked it.

IIRC with the Miranda it was a case of the producers being sent the plans for approval and them looking it upside down and approving it that way.

Aka the FX shots were always meant to be that way and it was during the design process where the design got flipped over. Granted this should be obvious when you remember that Miranda Bridge module is very similar to the Connie one (if not identical) and is on the "top" of the final design.

IIRC ILM made most if not all effects for ST2 that were not recycled from TMP and they're not really known for letting a mistake like "we compted in the model upside down for a hero ship" get past their quality control (noted that "hero ship" here means something that's big on the screen and used in close ups, not something used by the protagonists).
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User

In the case of the Connie they would have had to flip the saucer back over if they had the whole ship upsidedown. That bevel on the saucer was done in that direction (the larger diameter on top) for crash landings, to help keep the saucer upright instead of digging into the ground and flipping onto its top, which would have caused considerably more casualties and injuries than grass-surfing upsideup if they could not make a softer landing for some reason.

That is one of the things that always annoyed me about the Trek ships that put the bevel the other way.
    That's all post-facto justification; in TOS, the saucer section was never even vaguely intended to make planetfall. When the designer (Matt Jeffries, IIRC) first presented the sketch to Gene, he accidentally handed the sketch over upside down, and then had to persuade Gene not to actually film it like that. (Source: Star Trek Lives, although since my copy succumbed to entropy some years back I can't give you a page number or anything.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    jonsills wrote: »

That's all post-facto justification; in TOS, the saucer section was never even vaguely intended to make planetfall. When the designer (Matt Jeffries, IIRC) first presented the sketch to Gene, he accidentally handed the sketch over upside down, and then had to persuade Gene not to actually film it like that. (Source: Star Trek Lives, although since my copy succumbed to entropy some years back I can't give you a page number or anything.)

Yes and no.

Yes, the model on the string flipped over because of the weight of the nacelles and Roddenberry liked the look though Jefferies was able to convince him that the way it was designed made more sense.

No, the myth that the saucer was never meant as a lifeboat and that separation was never a thing before TNG is just that, a myth that tries to compare apples and oranges as it were. The Enterprise was designed with the idea that part of it would detach in case of imminent catastrophic failure of the stardrive (in the case of the final design that was the saucer section), but unlike the Galaxy class it was a destructive detachment with explosive bolts or whatever and there would be nothing that could be done in the field to re-attach them (it would take a shipyard assuming that there was enough left intact on the saucer to be worth the effort).

Both Roddenberry and Jefferies talked about that in interviews and panel talks and whatnot, and the old AMT model kits had a few lore pages of annotated diagrams from the shooting model blueprints along with a few paragraphs written by Jefferies about the ship which included that one-time-use lifeboat function.

• Options
    Wasn't that also kinda referenced in Star Trek Beyond when the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise did a saucer separation as she was being ripped apart?
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    That's a misfigured Galaxy. ;)

Wait. That's a Galaxy that's even more misfigured than a 'normal' Galaxy. :p

A galaxy that was driven by Deanna Troi?? she does have a tendency of crashing into things
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    In defense of Deanna Troi, the first time was not her fault. Helm controls were knocked out. Second time was under orders from Picard.
  • Options
    In defense of Deanna Troi, the first time was not her fault. Helm controls were knocked out. Second time was under orders from Picard.

Also she was a medical officer specializing in mental health not a helm officer.
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »

IIRC the flipped plans was the Miranda (it's talked in the ST2 DvD) where the Producer (though not Roddenberry) approved the plans upside down when they were mailed to him (this was early 1980s so just e-mailing a picture wasn't a thing for another 30 years or so).
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User

And the third time it was a very alien ship so it's not surprising she couldn't fly it. No, wait. She wasn't involved in crashing the Voth ship into an entire Unimatrix complex. ;)

(One of my Voth characters actually has a description in his bio how he led an investigation into this incident - I thought it was a nice nod towards the movies :) )
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Also she was a medical officer specializing in mental health not a helm officer.

Department doesn't really negate ability to pilot. We've seen Dr. Crusher pilot a shuttle before. While the full mechanics of starship piloting may be more complex, the basics between a ship and a shuttle aren't that different. Its just the size and reaction time really.
    While not everyone is a helmsman, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone at least receives some form of pilot training.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Someone has to be able to take over if the helmsman dies or is otherwise incapacitated.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    It's the way the Nacelles attach to the Pod making it look like a small secondary hull rather then a roll bar mission pod.

It IS a small secondary hull. Just mounted upwards like the Kelvin rather than the usual down. That would be so cool if we could flip the hull and kitbash it that way. And do the same with the other Miranda's too. The Grissom was originally supposed to be Nacelle's up with the pod underneath. They flipped it at the last minute to better differentiate it from Enterprise. It would be nice to have that option.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Department doesn't really negate ability to pilot. We've seen Dr. Crusher pilot a shuttle before. While the full mechanics of starship piloting may be more complex, the basics between a ship and a shuttle aren't that different. Its just the size and reaction time really.
    While not everyone is a helmsman, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone at least receives some form of pilot training.

By the time Deanna was at the helm she was also a Commander, which as we saw means she had advanced training in bridge operations which should include piloting the damn thing if need be pig-2.gif

And yes, as @legendarylycan#5411 wrote - any crewmen should have received basic piloting skills since it's logical to assume in case of some weird desaster they are the only one left on board and the computer can't take over. Of course, if the only one left is some ensign from exobotany it may be a bumpy ride, but they at least know which button goes "vroom".​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    Slightly off-topic, but which T6 ships can use this skin besides (I'm guessing) the new Bozeman?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11521183-the-federation-responder-bundle!
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User
    Slightly off-topic, but which T6 ships can use this skin besides (I'm guessing) the new Bozeman?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11521183-the-federation-responder-bundle!

Any of the Mirandas should be able to use this skin already, just this pic is upside-down (unless consoles haven't gotten the updated Si'kar skin yet). https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Reliant_Advanced_Light_Cruiser there's a menu on the right (at least on PC, not sure on mobile) with all the various T6 variants of the Miranda currently in game.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    @tom61sto - thanks, I skimmed right over that box without seeing it when looking at the Reliant page earlier.
  • Options
    becca#3631 becca Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have to agree with the messed up galaxy look for the shikahr, and it looks better upside down. I also have to ask what is with a reversed millenium falcon from star wars doing in star trek? (Edison Temporal Cruiser) T6
  • Options
    becca#3631 wrote: »
    I have to agree with the messed up galaxy look for the shikahr, and it looks better upside down. I also have to ask what is with a reversed millenium falcon from star wars doing in star trek? (Edison Temporal Cruiser) T6

Its a 25th Century version of a 23rd Century ship seen in Star Trek Discovery.
  • Options
    For that matter, the Millennium Falcon (flying in its proper orientation) actually IS in Star Trek, it was an easter egg nod to Star Wars that appeared in the background of the battle with the Borg cube in First Contact.
  • Options
    becca#3631 becca Member Posts: 2 New User
    That's a bit funny considering most star trek, and star wars fans in discussion between the two is like talking politics. As long as I've been watching, reading, and playing star trek, seeing that was a double take.
  • Options
    becca#3631 wrote: »
    That's a bit funny considering most star trek, and star wars fans in discussion between the two is like talking politics. As long as I've been watching, reading, and playing star trek, seeing that was a double take.

It's less odd (though still can be funny) when you remember that ILM (a company that was founded as and still is a part of Lucasfilm) made the effects for many Star Trek movies. Though I suspect the bad blood between SW and ST is mostly just a certain subset of fans who while vocal aren't that big, certain the people behind either of those don't seem mind the other in a lot of cases are in fact fans.
  • Options
    Yea. Not everyone gets Tribal. Although I did note something rather funny years ago when Filefront was still a thing. When a Star Trek Mod, or sometimes anything not Star Wars, was made for a Star Wars game (usually Empire at War) there was always someone coming into the comments (either Picture of the Day or actual mod itself) ranting that "this was Star WARS, not (insert name here) files. Get that thing out of here!"

But whenever a non Star Trek mod showed up for a Star Trek game, I never saw any hostility of any kind. Just "Oh that's cool". Made me believe that Star Trek fans were more accepting of other things than Star Wars fans.

And I like to call myself one of those mutants that likes both. Hell... I even throw in Stargate and Babylon 5.
  • Options
    Yea. Not everyone gets Tribal. Although I did note something rather funny years ago when Filefront was still a thing. When a Star Trek Mod, or sometimes anything not Star Wars, was made for a Star Wars game (usually Empire at War) there was always someone coming into the comments (either Picture of the Day or actual mod itself) ranting that "this was Star WARS, not (insert name here) files. Get that thing out of here!"

But whenever a non Star Trek mod showed up for a Star Trek game, I never saw any hostility of any kind. Just "Oh that's cool". Made me believe that Star Trek fans were more accepting of other things than Star Wars fans.

And I like to call myself one of those mutants that likes both. Hell... I even throw in Stargate and Babylon 5.

Yeah I never restricted myself to one franchise either. Though I got experience of rabid Trek fans, not thru modding though. A good example of this is the argument that Trek ships are totally and utterly immune to any weapon with the word "laser" in their name (it's not how they did frame but that was what it boiled down to) based on a single line, from a single episode that makes more sense if you assume it doesn't refer to a mystical blanket immunity (the episode is question is the TNG episode "The Outrageous Okona").

In context Riker's line makes no sense if referring to a mystical blanket immunity as he's talking to bridge that has only Starfleet officers present and thus would know of said immunity and would need to told about it. In later episode stray shots from laser weapons are seen as dangerous enough to raise shields, thus counterdicting the "full laser immunity" not mention that in the end lasers are just high focused beams of light and we see the ship so it can't be "immune" to light.

Only reason there is(/was?) even an argument seems to be because most Star Wars weapons have word "laser" in their name even though they behave nothing like beams of light.

An alternative (and in my honest opinion much better) way of seeing the scene is that it's more like an early ironclad facing a late WWII Battleship (like the US Iowa-class), sure the battleship isn't immune to physical projectiles as a blanket feature but nothing in the ironclad is powerful enough to really do more then break windows or scratch the paint on the Battleship. Same idea here the GCS is so much more powerful then the alien ship that lasers mounted in said ships simply don't have the energy to punch thru the Enterprise's Nav Deflectors let alone the combat graded shields and Riker's line refers to that.
  • Options
    Only reason there is(/was?) even an argument seems to be because most Star Wars weapons have word "laser" in their name even though they behave nothing like beams of light.

The closest thing to an actual laser in Star Wars I think is the Superlaser on the Deathstar, and those ball turrets on the LAATs, as those fire beams. Everything else, including the Turbolasers are essentially Plasma based weaponry as they are dependant on Tibana Gas.
This discussion has been closed.